• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I need to replace my trailer brakes, I mean not just the pads but the whole set. Does anybody know the specification of these brakes? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 Pelle

Pelle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

US or European?

#3 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

US trailer

#4 Pelle

Pelle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Then I'm of no help....sorry

#5 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure they are standard 10' hydraulic surge brakes.

http://www.etrailer....line/40715.html

#6 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'm pretty sure they are standard 10' hydraulic surge brakes.

Thanks! These seem to be even better, as it states: Free-Backing - incorporates a "fall-away" shoe which diminishes shoe drag when backing up...

#7 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've purchased from Etrailer a few times good company before you buy be sure to compare the price you find on AMAZON yes not kidding you might find what your looking for on Amazon with a better price. Even if its Etrailer who is selling it through Amazon.

#8 Willy T

Willy T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

do you trailer launch it? If not, go electric.

#9 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

We've been getting along pretty happily with no brakes at all for a few years. The trailer is really not that heavy. Does anyone know how illegal this is?

aa

#10 GLAZE

GLAZE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Deer Hunting

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

we've never used them.

#11 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

We've been getting along pretty happily with no brakes at all for a few years. The trailer is really not that heavy. Does anyone know how illegal this is?

aa

Not illegal but pending your tow vehicle and where your towing they might be good to have. If your towing with a sports wagon Audi, BMW or even a Subaru the brakes might be nice on long trips with lots of hills involved. The trailer brake thing on the light trailers are more or less listed as a must have as a feature to keep small poorly set up trailers more stable. However our long tongue sport boat trailers are probably some of the nicest towing and most stable recreational trailers on the road so its more about stopping power than creating stability on a instable trailer.

Virtually zero of the U20 guys run brakes they tend to be a bigger pain in the ass than they add value with that light of a boat.

If your towing with a truck or midsized SUV no trailer brakes on the M24 isn't really an issue at least it shouldn't be.

#12 STINGRAY580

STINGRAY580

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:sailing. fishing, kayaking, hockey

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

can only speak from aussie point of view, rules here are. over 750kg GVM ( trailer and boat total weight) the trailer must be braked. all dual axle trailers must be braked.a melges and trailer would be well over that, this in not dependant on the tow vehicle.. doesnt matter if your towing with F650 or a toyota prius....

#13 mshoe

mshoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I am looking at a used Melges 24 and it looks like all the brake parts are rusted and not working. What parts usually need replacing.

#14 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

It depends which parts are working or not. if the coupler/actuator itself is frozen or broken you can just order a new one. they are usually a simple bolt on set up
http://www.etrailer....n/T4332900.html

you can get a roll of steel (or stainless) brake line from your local auto parts place and they will also have a simple hand bender.

For the brakes themselves you can most likely just replace the brake assembly itself (note there are a right and left)

unless the drums have a ton of miles on them, you can take them to the local shop an have them turned. they can tell you if they are good enough to re-use. If not....
http://www.etrailer....4546UC3-EZ.html

if you are going to be doing much traveling I would just replace the whole deal and be done with it. Besides if all that stuff is so rusty, the bearings probably need to be replace anyway.

#15 Fear and Loathing

Fear and Loathing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

My M24 trailer brakes were a mess also. I upgraded the whole thing to disc brakes. Etrailer sells the conversion kit with everything you need. The discs work great and are much easier to rinse after salt water ramp launches. The kit also comes with new bearings.

#16 Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Good suggestion on the disk conversion. Just be careful when ordering from E-trailer. for some reason the disk kits that are sold in pairs do not include the bearings. Only the kits for an individual side have the bearings. Not sure why.

#17 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'd call Andy Burdick or Harry Melges about this. They are very supportive.

#18 ctownj30

ctownj30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I bought a replacement axle from Dexter Axle - which apparently is the OEM axle that Melges uses (or at least, used on my late-100-series trailer). The axle itself was pretty cheap, but they offered me a brake-equipped version for a good bit more.

The easy solution might be just getting a whole brand new brake-equipped axle from them and just bolt it on and run the hydraulic lines. Here is a copy of my invoice with the measurements and details if you wanted to order the same direct from them. They were easy to work with.

-djm

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users