28 replies to this topic

#1 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

The footage of the motorcycle dive-bombing the harbor has been going viral on the motorcycle websites for a couple days, what we now know:

French motorcycle magazine tester nicknamed "Lolo" riding - generally known to be a good guy, funny and an acomplished rider - they were filming some 'scenery shots' for a video segment on the new version of Yamaha's FJR 1300. Yep, that was a brand-new bike, and it explains how the incident got captured on good footage - most amature videographers would have a hard time following the falling subject.

From what I've read, Lolo wasn't badly injured, aside from his ego - but credit to the magazine for sharing the footage !

I own an older yamaha FJR - darn good, smooth, solid bike - but the suckers are heavy ! Damn lucky he landed away from the bikes impact site - that thing could have killed him.

As for his 'error' - newbies often forget they have hard cases mounted that increase the width of the bike significantly, well designed bags 'dissappear' to the rider pretty quickly, they stay out of your way, don't weigh much and aren't in your field of view since they are behind you - it's easy to forget them for a moment, I've done it a couple times and clipped garage-door sides and a couple other things. I think riding near the water he either spaced that he had them ( in tests you switch bikes frequently) or missed recognizing those 'other' bollards not on the chain line. Once the hit occured he had about a half-second to stop the beast and you see his right foot (rear brake) down on the ground, instinctively trying to stop the dreaded Embarrassing Tip-over. Front brakes (right hand) may have had a chance, but the tire was off into space before he could react after the hit.

Classic Frenchman though - ends up in a sailboat.

Finally, that last comment about the Ed - you aren't REALLY riding now, are you Scot ?

Mr. Car Guy himself ? say it ain't so....

#2 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=dtXFThyr764

#3 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Nah, he's wearing a helmet...

#4 yowie

yowie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Mate did the same. Hooked a petrol bowser line as he moved forward to take fuel from the front row.. luckily no fireball,
BMW 1200k. came out on top.

#5 cbm

cbm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

similar lines... a few years ago I watched a motorcycle messenger stop at a stop sign near Covent Garden in London, as the never ending line of cars went by, you could see him getting more and more impatience until he had enough and gunned it full throttle in-between 2 cars........This was fine except for the fact he didn't see the tow rope between cars.....sudden stop followed by an elegant drive through the front door (open luckily..) of a store opposite....guy rolled around, then stood up and took a bow to the spectators...classic

#6 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

The footage of the motorcycle dive-bombing the harbor has been going viral on the motorcycle websites for a couple days, what we now know:

French motorcycle magazine tester nicknamed "Lolo" riding - generally known to be a good guy, funny and an acomplished rider - they were filming some 'scenery shots' for a video segment on the new version of Yamaha's FJR 1300. Yep, that was a brand-new bike, and it explains how the incident got captured on good footage - most amature videographers would have a hard time following the falling subject.

From what I've read, Lolo wasn't badly injured, aside from his ego - but credit to the magazine for sharing the footage !

I own an older yamaha FJR - darn good, smooth, solid bike - but the suckers are heavy ! Damn lucky he landed away from the bikes impact site - that thing could have killed him.

As for his 'error' - newbies often forget they have hard cases mounted that increase the width of the bike significantly, well designed bags 'dissappear' to the rider pretty quickly, they stay out of your way, don't weigh much and aren't in your field of view since they are behind you - it's easy to forget them for a moment, I've done it a couple times and clipped garage-door sides and a couple other things. I think riding near the water he either spaced that he had them ( in tests you switch bikes frequently) or missed recognizing those 'other' bollards not on the chain line. Once the hit occured he had about a half-second to stop the beast and you see his right foot (rear brake) down on the ground, instinctively trying to stop the dreaded Embarrassing Tip-over. Front brakes (right hand) may have had a chance, but the tire was off into space before he could react after the hit.

Finally, that last comment about the Ed - you aren't REALLY riding now, are you Scot ?

yes indeed i am! new to the game, and after a fair bit of research i bought a 2012 honda cbr 250. you pros may laugh, but it is a great bike and really good for where i am at, skill-wise. i took the 3 day msf class and i try to ride every day. cannot believe how much fun it is!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152250563960517&set=a.10151391741845517.809259.890275516&type=1&theater

#7 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

yes indeed i am! new to the game, and after a fair bit of research i bought a 2012 honda cbr 250. you pros may laugh, but it is a great bike and really good for where i am at, skill-wise. i took the 3 day msf class and i try to ride every day. cannot believe how much fun it is!

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Don't think you are going through this alone. About 6 months ago I traded some remodeling work for a Honda 1100 with the intention of selling the bike. I rode that bike once and was hooked! I took the MSC class and got the endorsement on my DL.
Now like you I try to ride it everyday. I have been riding it to out of town regattas,l've found the only problem is changing from riding gear to sailing gear. B)
I just hope you don't have the same "itus" disease I'm afflicted with... with boats I called it 2footitus because I always wanted a boat just 2 foot bigger then the one I have.
Now with this bike its 250ccitus. Because I want a bike with 250 more cc's. :D
Ride safe brother.

#8 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

oh yeah, i already have that too! already surveying the landscape about what to get next. really like the sport bike from a performance, riding position and looks perspective, so i think that'll be the direction i continue to go, just bigger. but i don't wan't to get ahead of myself and do really want to enjoy this bike and remain in the moment. until i'm not! and i am riding carefully, just trying to learn the bike and become a better rider. still having trouble staying on the throttle through sweepers....

#9 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

<SNIP>

I've been on somethin' w/2 wheels and an engine since I was 5 years old, and I *still* like to take some kind of riding education every few years. The MSF offers an excellent followon once you've got a couple thousand miles under your belt, the Experienced Riders Course. It's always a good idea to keep your skills sharp. Have fun - and ride like they're out to getcha, because they ARE!

#10 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

<SNIP>

I've been on somethin' w/2 wheels and an engine since I was 5 years old, and I *still* like to take some kind of riding education every few years. The MSF offers an excellent followon once you've got a couple thousand miles under your belt, the Experienced Riders Course. It's always a good idea to keep your skills sharp. Have fun - and ride like they're out to getcha, because they ARE!

+1

#11 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

i hear ya on the courses.i can see that i really dig riding and i'd like to be pretty good at it. but for god's sake please make the lure of the bigger and badder bike go away! thanks to a certain anarchist, i am now laser focused on this. any comments?

#12 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

That's a great bike to learn on. Once you're consistently dragging the shiny parts, it's time to upgrade.
The MSF courses are really fun, and I've always met some cool new people at them. Good, cheap entertainment.

The only problem I have with sportbikes is all that expensive, fragile plastic.

#13 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

i hear ya on the courses.i can see that i really dig riding and i'd like to be pretty good at it. but for god's sake please make the lure of the bigger and badder bike go away! thanks to a certain anarchist, i am now laser focused on this. any comments?

Look at the Ducati Monster - sport-inclined riding position, no plastic tax on the insurance premium, and it's a Ducati. Additionally, if you really want to RIDE the bike, the Buells are great street machines. I'm not a big guy, but, I find most of the sub-liter metric sport bikes a bit cramped, and uncomfortable after an hour or so. Continuing w/the plastic tax avoidance theme, Check out the Suzuki SV650/1000, as well as the Bandit. Honda and Kawasaki both recently made naked Liter bikes that are great all around machines w/enough performance potential to satisfy most anyone's wrist twisting.

Best thing to do is try out lots of 'em, and decide which fits you best.

#14 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Best thing to do is try out lots of 'em, and decide which fits you best get off the lame ass road and into the dirt!

Posted Image

#15 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

i save that for mountain biking....

#16 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

bah! Strap a motor to that thing!

#17 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

That or the Honda. Do some track days/sport bike seminars, they're a blast. If you get rid of your `chicken strips' on these days you're on your way to the 600.

#18 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

i save that for mountain biking....

Easier to go fast uphill w/an engine...

#19 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

The FZ6 is a really nice mid-size bike. Sorry. And the little CBR is kinda cool too - I'm glad Honda FINALLY brought a competant 250 to the US market. Don't do the Ducati thing until you are ready for Starbucks posing.

As for staying on throttle in sweepers - seat-time will provide the feel for what throttle is appropriate, but the BEST way to really learn how to trust the tires is some track time. But either way - get and WEAR real riding gear - there is NO warranty for traction.

#20 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

i have the stuff and wear it always - sidi boots, kevlar reinforced jeans, full face helmet, armor jackets, good gloves, etc. no to ducatti! really like that fz6r. found a brand new white 2012 for $5,900....

#21 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

That's a great bike to learn on. Once you're consistently dragging the shiny parts, it's time to upgrade.
The MSF courses are really fun, and I've always met some cool new people at them. Good, cheap entertainment.

The only problem I have with sportbikes is all that expensive, fragile plastic.

Plastics are cheap and easily replaced...

Susuki sv650. Best bike to get good on before ya go bigger

#22 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Also, if it can move... It's trying to kill you, ride accordingly.

#23 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

always remember - there are two kinds of riders

those that had their first wreck, and those that have yet to do it

- it happens to everyone

#24 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

- it happens to everyone

Tell that to my broken back.

Oh, wait...

#25 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

- it happens to everyone

+1...

#26 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Kind of feel bad for the guy. He will never live this down.

#27 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Naah, if it doesn't kill you it gives you something to laugh at with your friends...

And probably a new nickname or two

#28 Foreverslow

Foreverslow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing sailboats,and working on sailboats.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Nice toy, but make sure you don't write checks your ass cannot cash.
I got into sailing after having an "incident" with another bike at 115 mph (fucker ran out of speed before I ran out of gears..)
Figured crashing a cat in the middle of the ocean was safer then smacking guardrails at high speed.
But I now have my 1000cc UJM for windless days.

Do take the rider courses.
Even veterans learn a thing or two.
Once done, you can buy on of these and wear it with pride in the toughest bars.
http://www.pjsparts....roducts_id=2645

Got one for my brother's christmas gift now that he finally got rid of his Harley for an Arlen Ness edition Victory.
Figure he is going to have to repurpose all his harley shirts as rags, or give them to his wife who still rides one.

#29 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,642 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

unsafe at any speed

Flasheart on her side at the Quarter Ton Cup in Cowes today from Rick Tomlinson. Yeah, let's bring back IOR...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users