Marks Marine Insurance / ACE American Ins. Co.

Insurance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Marks Marine (Insurance Carrier ACE American Insurance Co.)? They've offered better vessel coverage and premium rate for their "Yachtsman Policy" than a BoatUS quote I received for cruising the Chesapeake with a 2011 32-foot racer/cruiser. (Also let me do limited offshore, so maybe I could do the Delmarva rally some day).

Thanks.

#2 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Short handed racing, offshore sailing (5 Transpacs, 1 Vic-Maui plus deliveries so far..), PNW racing, cruising, and repairing a 43 yr old boat.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

ACE USA (AKA ACE Recreational Marine Ins. and ACE American) has been my insurance underwriter for 5+ years. The form has been called "Yachtsman" in the past but those words are not on the 2013 policy.

There have been no issues but also no claims. When I requested a rider to have the limits of navigation extended to include the west coast of Vancouver Island there was no extra charge.

ACE has been OK with insuring a 42 year old C&C 43 including PNW racing and cruising but there are limits of coverages and agreed upon values. I do not expect to get paid if a sail shreds during a race. I expect they would offer some payment for a dismasting but not enough for a new rig but they would likely check for maintenance issues The premium has been a good value when compared to quotes from other marine insurance companies.

Blackbeard

#3 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, Blackbeard.

Slightly OT: Blackbeard, I noticed you do short handed racing. Any tips on where I can learn more? I'm currently going through Andrew Evans' e-book, and dream of doing short handed distance on the Chesapeake.

Thanks again.

#4 Blackbeard

Blackbeard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Short handed racing, offshore sailing (5 Transpacs, 1 Vic-Maui plus deliveries so far..), PNW racing, cruising, and repairing a 43 yr old boat.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Leon T,

Andrew's single handing book is a great place to start. Also, search this section, the SA section, and the Mini Anarchy section for single and short handing topics. Take a look at the SSS (San Francisco Singlehand Society? - the people that put on the Singlehanded Transpac) web site.

My single and short handed experience has been has been on racer/cruiser type boats (mostly old IOR type), mostly day time, and mostly anchoring or tied up at night.

What type of 32 racer/cruiser do you have and how are the deck and sails set up for short handed sailing? Where/what type of sailing are you interested in doing (i.e. day race, overnight race. long distance)? It would also help if you mention what level of crewed sailing experience you have now. I started singlehanding after many years of doing foredeck on crewed race boats and offshore deliveries. The offshore and foredeck experience made short handed sail handling straight forward especially in planning out sail changes and spinnaker gybes (+ recovering from mistakes).

If you start a new topic with single handing in the title I expect many others here on SA will add comments.

Blackbeard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Insurance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users