#1 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

That nasty vid on the front page got me thinking, I can't be the only one that thinks sailing and motorcycling are very complementary. The only downside is that a good riding day is often a good sailing day, and the boat wins 99% of the time. So, who else rides? Whatcha got? Pictures or it isn't true.

In case you never go to the front page....
http://www.prochan.c...=003_1354378428

#2 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have riden motorcycles for over 40years. First it was small dirt bikes, then larger dirt bikes,then midsize road bikes and finally a large "adventure" sport bike that I bought as a retirement present when I retired in 2009(I also bought two new sails at the same time). Yes, sailing gets in the way of riding just as riding gets in the way of sailing. It is the same for all the activities I participate in(cycling, skiing, hiking, camping). For me, it is a matter of trying to balance all my activities and juggling the time available. Sometimes I ride the motorcycle to the boat to go sailing. So there is some coexistance that goes on.

Here is my Buell XB12X while on a ride in Washington State
Attached File  DSCN1418.JPG   144.86K   12 downloads

And a short video I made riding around the neighborhood.

#3 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

SVGW, nice ride!

I forgot my pic. Sons and Britches will know this scene...

BMW R1100RSA. It's my third RS. BMW went thru a LONG spell where they didn't make a true sports tourer. They went straight R (cruise) and S (sport) models. Maybe the RS theme is starting to come back, but I don't care, I love this thing.

Posted Image

#4 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

SVGW, nice ride!

BMW R1100RSA. It's my third RS. BMW went thru a LONG spell where they didn't make a true sports tourer. They went straight R (cruise) and S (sport) models. Maybe the RS theme is starting to come back, but I don't care, I love this thing.

Posted Image

Very nice! I have been impressed with some of the newer BMW's. After HD axed the Buell line I sort of regreted not checking out the BMW's more. But the support for Buell's has been good.

#5 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have a Yamaha RD350J (LC) I bought new in 1982. No photos oddly, even though it is sitting just out the back door right now...

It still looks like this:

Attached Files

#6 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Spike and his side car FrankenVespa

Attached Files

#7 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have riden motorcycles for over 40years. First it was small dirt bikes, then larger dirt bikes,then midsize road bikes and finally a large "adventure" sport bike that I bought as a retirement present when I retired in 2009(I also bought two new sails at the same time). Yes, sailing gets in the way of riding just as riding gets in the way of sailing. It is the same for all the activities I participate in(cycling, skiing, hiking, camping). For me, it is a matter of trying to balance all my activities and juggling the time available. Sometimes I ride the motorcycle to the boat to go sailing. So there is some coexistance that goes on.

is that a mercury thermometer glued to the fairing SV?

#8 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Much liike SVGW, I've ridden for a long time - had a street-bike license since I was 16 and had been riding for years on trail bikes before that. Have ridden from Brusseles to Florence, and from National City to Frederic NB - riding is a good way to change the scene, and when the wind is dead the riding is great.

One drawback to being the boatowner when racing is the need to transport stuff, so I often can't ride n race day, which I like to do because riding here in Hawaii - while we get to do it year-round - is really just a driving alternative as opposed to a real recreational activity because there just aren't the kind of roads for REAL sport-touring - like in the Smokies, Sierras, Cascades, etc.

Favorite bikes: Ducati ST4 - that was a good 'un. I've had a bunch of nice ones - BMW, Aprilia, Yamaha FJR (like the one on the FP ) but right now it's just my commuter Wee-Strom and my old Track HawkGT until another one tempts me...

Much as I've never been a big fan of Harleys or the Pirate-costume crowd, I don't think I will EVER forgive them for croaking off the Buell brand - they could have/should have sold it intact to somebody that cared about making useable American bikes.

#9 chester

chester

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I have a Yamaha RD350J (LC) I bought new in 1982. No photos oddly, even though it is sitting just out the back door right now...

It still looks like this:

wow. by older bro had a 1969 R3. I literally rode it to pieces in 1972...sand trails, air time...i guess he's forgiven me.

#10 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

is that a mercury thermometer glued to the fairing SV?

No, a cheap outdoor alcohol thermometer.

#11 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've ridden since 1974. I've also been a MSF instructor, a columnist (MotorSports News), Manager for Media and Events for a Seattle BMW dealership, motorcycle photographer, motorcycle salesman and parts counter person.

Motorcycles owned, in rough chronological order (some at the same time):

Yamana CS200 two stroke
Kawasaki H1 500cc two stroke triple
Kawasaki KZ650C3 (Champion Morawaki 717 kit)
Kawasaki Ninja 250*
Yamaha RD350
Honda 350 Scrambler
Honda Elite 150 Scooter
BMW R90/6 with Sidecar rig (installed myself)*
Kawasaki H2 750cc two sroke triple*
Suzuki 600 Bandit
Suzuki 1200 Bandit*
Yamaha Seca 550
Honda SL100*
Yamaha XT500*
Moto Guzzi 850 T3*
Yamaha Vino 125 scooter
Aprilla Scarabeo 200 scooter

* owned all these at the same time. Filled half a garage they did.

Corporate Bikes (benefit of the BMW gig)

BMW R1200C
BMW LT Touring bike.
BMW K1200 R
BMW R1200S
BMW 650
BMW 1200R
and anything else I could borrow on a ride.

I calculate that I've ridden about 300,000 miles on bikes over the last 34 years. Many years, I commuted exclusively by bike. It was common for me to put 20-25K a year on some years.

I don't own any now but I have had my eye on a little toy to use for the next few years.

Posted Image

My first motorcycle -- a Yamaha cafe racer, such as it was. I was 18 when this was taken. I owned this little 200cc for since I was 15 yrs old.

Posted Image

Back in 1995, I took this pic to accompany an article I wrote on sport touring, including the gear (still own the roadcrafter).

Posted Image

Racing the Ninja 250 at a Pacific Raceways Track Day and decelerating from the blistering top speed of 106mph (radar verified) to enter turn 2.

Posted Image

Yeah, bikes and I go way back. I'll always love 'em but they don't fit into my life anymore.

#12 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Much as I've never been a big fan of Harleys or the Pirate-costume crowd, I don't think I will EVER forgive them for croaking off the Buell brand - they could have/should have sold it intact to somebody that cared about making useable American bikes.

I was never a Harley fan either. It felt strange to go into the HD shops only to look at the Buells, ussually hidden in a back corner somewhere. The parts section of my local shop still seems surly when I try to order parts. Yes, the Buell line could have been sold off. I am sure Eric would have taken over everything. As it is now, he is building some really awesome race bikes.

#13 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

SVGW, nice ride!

Posted Image

hah, took a red colored brother of that one to the most northern spot on the old continent, North cape in Norway ... and noblesse oblige, next drove it up to the most southern point, Gibraltar. Great bike, But the current R1200RT is quite in a different league.

#14 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Haven't been on a bike since 2010 and my riding was greatly reduced once my first born arrived. Prior to that I rode to work every day the pavement was dry in CA that can be nearly every day all year. 65,000 miles between 2002 and 2008 95% all to work and back.

No joke the commute bike was a 2002 Honda Silverwing basically an over grown scooter crossed with a 600cc sport bike. Perfect for commuting to work on.
Even rode it up to Huntington Lake to crew on a boat that was my longest cross country trip SF to Huntington and back. If I ever get another bike after the kids are out of the house it will probably be a light weight duel sport of some type so I can do some off pavement adventures.

Good friend of mine still commutes to work has been doing it since the early 90's on the same damn bike. Honda 750 Knight Hawk. The odometer stopped working some place around 280,000 miles. Last time I asked him for a guess on its mileage he said easily over 380,000 miles. He has replaced more chains and sprockets than he can recall - has had an oil plug fall out of it on 101 - he has replaced the gas tank once and the seat he lost count at around 8 times. LOL Still on the original engine and clutch #3 just went in last summer.

#15 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Well hell's bells. I can't find any pics and it's dark out but I have all Honda powersports equipment.
2003 Honda Reflex 250cc scooter - silver.
1972 Honda CB750 - brown.
2004 Honda Foreman ATV - red (of course I know it's got 4 wheels but it's a powersport machine).

I almost bought a Triumph Daytona 675R but then my marriage got saved by a layoff.

edit: I can't believe my 'new' machines are that old already.
Hondas are just not kill-able. The CB shows its age a little with some oxidation on the trans, but JFC these machines go and go and...

#16 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

I worked in a Honda shop when I was in college, so most of my motorcycles were Hondas. This was my last Honda. I bought it new in 1982 and sold it in 2009. I commuted daily on it for several years. That really took it's toll. Before I sold it, I had it looking in pretty good shape.

Attached File  DSCN1009.JPG   186.78K   7 downloads

#17 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Used to ride and commute till the mid '80's. Still rode and restored bikes for pleasure till about six years ago. Got my first bike when I was 15, motorcycle endorsement at 16, and unlimited endorsement till I was 54 when I renewed my license, didn't bother to renew my endorsement....figured my riding days were behind me. Started with various Honda and Triumph rode bikes, then got into building and restoring Harleys and Indians. My last ten years riding was mostly Sunday or sunny day cruises locally and on the Olympic Peninsula. I've never ridden a modern bike, though two of my son's have modern bikes. I posted pics of more then a few of my old bikes on here quite some time ago, but don't have any pics on this computer and cleaned my Photobucket account of most of my old pics.

#18 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I worked in a Honda shop when I was in college, so most of my motorcycles were Hondas. This was my last Honda. I bought it new in 1982 and sold it in 2009. I commuted daily on it for several years. That really took it's toll. Before I sold it, I had it looking in pretty good shape.

Honda 440 Hawk, right?

I remember when the first version came out (the 400). It was not a pretty motorcycle then.

Posted Image

It did get raced a lot in the Superstock 400 class at Sears Point though.

Sometimes though, someone takes a hawksaw and a rattle can to one and turns out something cool like this:

Posted Image

#19 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Posted Image

Back in the day.

Still have a 2003 Electra Glide but sailing has really cut into my riding time.

#20 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

I commuted to College on a 1969 R60 BMW (Earles fork.) Don't have an electronic picture as this was many years ago. You will just have to trust me on this.......

#21 Para Bellum

Para Bellum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:boats, aviation, motorcycles, shooting, hunting, fishing, playing outside

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Currently without a bike but rode an RMZ 250 for a couple years. Will be getting a DRZ 400 Dual Sport in the near future. Nice to be able to legally bomb the roads and the private logging companies prefer you to have a plated bike for liability reasons. Would love to have a whole stable but too many toys to buy.

#22 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Honda 440 Hawk, right?

I remember when the first version came out (the 400). It was not a pretty motorcycle then.

Posted Image

It was actually a CB450T Hawk, but right idea. I remember hearing that people raced them and there was supposed to be a rear control racing option that could be purchased from Honda. It was a lot lighter than the older DOHC 450 from the early 70's and would wind up well when you hit the power band. Lot of people wanted to call it a Nighthawk(it wasn't) and compared it to the cruiser model(really wasn't).

#23 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Got my first bike when I was 15, motorcycle endorsement at 16, and unlimited endorsement till I was 54 when I renewed my license

That whole endorsement issue is funny. When I got my endorsement, I qualified on my dads CB100. There was no size graduated endorsements then. So when they did implement various size endorsements, I was given an unlimited since there were no records of what size bike that I qualified on.

#24 nobody.really

nobody.really

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

This is my current beast of burden. Sadly it spends most of its time under a cover in the parking lot these days. Made a nice ferry commuter when I needed it (first on, first off). Got it cheap. This is my 7th ride I think.

2002 Suzuki DL1000
Attached File  DaVee.jpg   180.99K   2 downloads

#25 Mephisto Cat

Mephisto Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring old boats, restoring & driving old cars

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Spike and his side car FrankenVespa

I love it! I am a big fan of vespas & any sort of side-car...

- But I am also strange...
I drive a fast little car & sail a slow little boat - (I drive a vintage mini cooper - fast in the twisties...)

- but no bikes... I would not be here if I'd had a bike when I was young!

#26 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Got my first bike when I was 15, motorcycle endorsement at 16, and unlimited endorsement till I was 54 when I renewed my license

That whole endorsement issue is funny. When I got my endorsement, I qualified on my dads CB100. There was no size graduated endorsements then. So when they did implement various size endorsements, I was given an unlimited since there were no records of what size bike that I qualified on.

I remember when they did that and asked about it. They said it was a one time availability for those of us who had previous endorsements. In other words if one didn't get the unlimited at that time, in the future you were required to do a motorcycle driving test to get the endorsement per the size of endorsement.

I only had one motorcycle driving test when I was 16, and it was in the parking lot of DMV where they set up some cones. Did the quick little test and said,"is that it, don't we go on the road." "That's it", said the DMV tester.

Does it even say a size or unlimited endorsement on it anymore, I don't recall my last few licenses have anything more then endorsed for motorcycles.

#27 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

I was living in Sydney (Nova Scotia) when I first got my motorcycle endorsement. Sydney is a medium sized town (pop. 30,000 or so). I chose to take my test in the nearby town of Louisbourg (pop. 1400 or so), partly because that's where the bike I was going to take the test on was. The test consisted of the Driving Examiner going outside and standing on the front lawn of the Town hall and watching me drive the bike up the Main St. to the Motel, turning around and driving back. That was it, I passed. It was a one size fits all endorsement too. I took the test on a friend's air cooled Yamaha RD350. I bought my liquid cooled RD a couple of years later.

#28 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Ann had a 1999 Triumph Legend TT which I would ride a little on Sundays. After the 3rd time I wasn't seen and someone pulled out in front of me I swore it off and we sold the bike.

Posted Image

Bob, love the Spike pic.

Black, you have the same badass expression in both of those pics.

#29 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

I remember when they did that and asked about it. They said it was a one time availability for those of us who had previous endorsements. In other words if one didn't get the unlimited at that time, in the future you were required to do a motorcycle driving test to get the endorsement per the size of endorsement.

I only had one motorcycle driving test when I was 16, and it was in the parking lot of DMV where they set up some cones. Did the quick little test and said,"is that it, don't we go on the road." "That's it", said the DMV tester.

Does it even say a size or unlimited endorsement on it anymore, I don't recall my last few licenses have anything more then endorsed for motorcycles.

Suprisingly, you only need a motorcycle endorsement if you ride a bike over 50CC and over 30 mph. No separate size endorsments anymore.
Also surprisingly, to ride a three wheel trike requires a trike/sidecar endorsement unless it has a body, seatbelts and steering wheel. Strange!
http://www.dol.wa.go...ndorsement.html

#30 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Much as I've never been a big fan of Harleys or the Pirate-costume crowd

Never understood the infatuation with dressing like a biker clown from the '60's, or tattoos, or modern body piercings....

The way I figure it, if they want to look like different, or like a freak or a clown, then have it...and that's their business and not mine.

#31 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Maybe there's something about getting your knees in the breeze that sparks the similarity...

Anyway, here's mine:

Posted Image

'94 Honda Magna... they took the 750cc V4 from the VFR sportbike and built "the cruiser that zigs"

Posted Image

Here's a video.. (or not, if I can't make it work)

http://s45.photobuck...nt=PICT0009.mp4

#32 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

After the 3rd time I wasn't seen and someone pulled out in front of me I swore it off and we sold the bike.

Going down the strip malls of Aurora Ave. in Seattle and seeing cars pull right in front of bikers, after looking directly at them, more then a few times...made me wonder if people's minds just glaze over when they see bikes. Not to mention vans or vehicles with restricted visibility, not even seeing a biker as they changed lanes. I can remember more once kicking the side of a van as the driver started to squeeze me off the road. That was in the mid '80's and I was a very cautious and defensive motorcycle rider.Then when I had a car do a u-turn right in front of me and not see me with my lights on, then I quit commuting and only did sunny day cruises in the country.

#33 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Never understood the infatuation with dressing like a biker clown from the '60's, or tattoos, or modern body piercings....

The way I figure it, if they want to look like different, or like a freak or a clown, then have it...and that's their business and not mine.

Its telling how much someone elses business does rile you.

#34 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Speakee English please.... :lol:

#35 Ship4Brains

Ship4Brains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Cruising, kayaking, music, video & photography.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

I've got a Yamaha FZ6 with some minor mods, used mainly for commuting & fun. If only the thing would fit on my boat....

Posted Image

#36 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I just sold my BMW R1100S Light. Loved it, rode it all over the West, but used it little over the past 2 years. Still think it's the best looking bike BMW ever made - David Robb's master work. Problem was, locally, there were only 2 interesting paved roads close enough for a quick adrenaline buzz. Looking at big Euro thumpers now.

Black, my very first street bike was a brand-new leftover Yamaha RD125 twin totally cafe'd out. Ringgggg Dingggg Dingggg...

Attached Files

#37 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Honda 440 Hawk, right?

Posted Image

It was actually a CB450T Hawk, but right idea. I remember hearing that people raced them and there was supposed to be a rear control racing option that could be purchased from Honda. It was a lot lighter than the older DOHC 450 from the early 70's and would wind up well when you hit the power band. Lot of people wanted to call it a Nighthawk(it wasn't) and compared it to the cruiser model(really wasn't).

I meant to type 450. Anyway, yeah, they came out with a really crappy Nighthawk around 1982-3. They dumped that and the SOHC 650 on the market when the Harley inspired 700cc embargo hit. I remember getting a whole $15.00 minimum commission when we sold one.

The later 750/700 Nighthawks in shaftie were great bikes.

They still couldn't beat my 79 Kz650 though. :)

#38 Chris King

Chris King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

The boat, running around after kids and a demanding career have sentenced my 75 Ducati 860 GT to sitting neglected in the garage.

#39 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Its telling how much someone elses business does rile you.

He said it didn't understand it, not that it riled him. And though it didn't come from you, there are plenty of the cruiser side, especially the purebred (in their eyes) Harley folk (with their matching vests and boots and lighters and scarves and you name it stuff), who love to bash "rice rockets". All while the real 1%ers look down on them. I used to remember standing around in San Leandro, outside of the Wheel Works, listening to Sonny (that one) and the gang (yeah, that one) talk about the poseurs who rode...Harleys.

Harleys are nice bikes, in their own way. I've sold and rode many of them in my time. They have character, just like my Guzzi had, just like the R90 had.

Either way, I personally don't care what you ride, as long as you ride.

#40 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Posted Image

Back in the day.

Still have a 2003 Electra Glide but sailing has really cut into my riding time.

Nice ride.

#41 berzerk

berzerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

BMW 650 F
Ducati 600 Monster Dark
Triumph T885 Speed Triple
Triumph Trophy 900
Aprilia SL1000 Falco

#42 Black Sox

Black Sox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Here's my bike history, in chronological order:

Yamaha DT175
Honda CB400N (sold to buy engagement ring)
Honda CB750F
Yamaha FJ1200
Kawasaki ZZR (ZXR in the US?) 1100
RTA
SCI
RGK

#43 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've had something w/two wheels and an engine since I was 5 years old. B&S engined minibikes w/a "tire brake", too many dirt bikes to count (though, my KTM 125MX was one of my favorites), A V65 Sabre (fast, but VERY tall seat height), a buncha old UJMs (CB360, GS450E, CB550, XS650, etc). Currently down to a 1984 FXRT, a '98 Sportster and a few dirtbikes in the garage. I like my HDs, but, lust after Guzzis and Ducatis as well. I keep looking for a late 60s R-bike to pickup cheaply and ridestore.

Funny thing - I used to do Land Speed Racing, and found several of my current sailing/paddling/flying friends via that endeavor. So - there's somethin' to the fact that folks are either out there living, or sitting at home watching others do it.

#44 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm in the camp that gave it up. Had bikes in college, and eventually three accidents, only one caused by me, gave me the feeling it was only a matter of time, even if I did my best. So I stopped. About 20 years later I rode a couple of miles on a friend's bike and nothing made me keep wanting to ride.

Just personal- I'll accept the risk of sailing alone at night or whatever, but the risk/reward ratio on a bike just isn't good enough for me.

That custom Honda is sweet.

#45 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Jenner,

Nice list of rides. Before my BMW fetish I was a Yamaha guy; a 550 vision after college, followed by a seca 550 TURBO. That was a crazy machine. A carbureted turbo. Needed some clever air plumbing to create negative pressure over the throttle body.

Then to BMWs, a K100RS, and then a K1100RS while I lived in france. Drove that sucker all over Europe, and commuted to La Defence on it from the western suburbs. Followed the Tour de France several times. Only way to do that is on a moto. In france you are allowed to drive bikes anywhere.

Back to the states and the boxer. I still have my 'stich that I bought in 1990. At the 30 year roadcrafter rally in Duluth a few years back, it was one of the oldest suits there. Never been down so in great shape.

#46 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

The boat, running around after kids and a demanding career have sentenced my 75 Ducati 860 GT to sitting neglected in the garage.

Pics? Even if it's dusty, that's a cool old bike!

#47 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Jenner,

Nice list of rides. Before my BMW fetish I was a Yamaha guy; a 550 vision after college, followed by a seca 550 TURBO. That was a crazy machine. A carbureted turbo. Needed some clever air plumbing to create negative pressure over the throttle body.

Then to BMWs, a K100RS, and then a K1100RS while I lived in france. Drove that sucker all over Europe, and commuted to La Defence on it from the western suburbs. Followed the Tour de France several times. Only way to do that is on a moto. In france you are allowed to drive bikes anywhere.

Back to the states and the boxer. I still have my 'stich that I bought in 1990. At the 30 year roadcrafter rally in Duluth a few years back, it was one of the oldest suits there. Never been down so in great shape.

Jackdaw,

I envy you your time riding in Europe. I haven't had the chance to do that.

It was a great time to be alive, during the eighties, as the big four struggled with the embargo. They tried turbos (Honda CX series, the Yamaha Seca, the Kawasaki 750 and the Suzuki 850). All amazing and all somewhat failures in their own right. Then there was the birth of the Interceptor. I sold five of those sight unseen with a $500.00 premium over the sticker when they first came out. The 550 vision you spoke of was another example of them really trying to break the UJM mode. That was a cool little bike. It's too bad they didn't up the fork diameter a few millimeters in the design. There were a lot of really great and interesting ideas that came out in the eighties and early nineties. It was a great time to be a rider.

I still have my stich too. I got it in 1995. It's due for a trip to Duluth for zippers and velcro but, otherwise than that, it's an awesome all weather suit. I use it for foulies on Brigadoon. Not only is it waterproof, but the armor in the knees and elbows really makes sense too. The only thing I'd really like to add is some reflective patches on top of the shoulders. It's the best $880.00 I've ever spent on a garment. Amortized over the span of ownership it's cost just over 50.00 a year.

Posted Image

#48 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

It was a great time to be alive, during the eighties, as the big four struggled with the embargo. They tried turbos (Honda CX series, the Yamaha Seca, the Kawasaki 750 and the Suzuki 850). All amazing and all somewhat failures in their own right. Then there was the birth of the Interceptor. I sold five of those sight unseen with a $500.00 premium over the sticker when they first came out. The 550 vision you spoke of was another example of them really trying to break the UJM mode. That was a cool little bike. It's too bad they didn't up the fork diameter a few millimeters in the design. There were a lot of really great and interesting ideas that came out in the eighties and early nineties. It was a great time to be a rider.

I still have my stich too. I got it in 1995. It's due for a trip to Duluth for zippers and velcro but, otherwise than that, it's an awesome all weather suit. I use it for foulies on Brigadoon. Not only is it waterproof, but the armor in the knees and elbows really makes sense too. The only thing I'd really like to add is some reflective patches on top of the shoulders. It's the best $880.00 I've ever spent on a garment. Amortized over the span of ownership it's cost just over 50.00 a year.

Copy that. The Vision is a bike I wish I still owned. It was ahead of its time; liquid cooled V twin, mono shock and shaft drive. Crisp looks and a sweet fairing too. Yea the front end was limp, and my euphoric recall has me forgetting about the chronic carb problems.

I love my stich too. Its great living in MN, you drive up, get measured, and you save 10% on the suit and there is no sales tax on clothes here. Always several cool bikes parked out in front, often from far away states, or countries. I've run into a group of Germans, and a couple from Iceland in the shop. It's kind of a pilgrimage. They have shirts that they only sell there as proof of the visit. My only regret is that I bought it with color backwards, royal blue with black trim. Looks awesome on the bike but off it people ask if its a snowmobile suit. Black is much better and more cycle-like. Oh, and I should have gotten a one piece.

#49 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

<SNIP?

Ya know, that's somethin' I'd never considered - using my riding gear for foulies! Potentially helping w/a delivery from the Islands to FL, or a stretch from FL to the upper Chez, and that may be the ticket!

<SNIP>
Copy that. The Vision is a bike I wish I still owned. It was ahead of its time; liquid cooled V twin, mono shock and shaft drive. Crisp looks and a sweet fairing too. Yea the front end was limp, and my euphoric recall has me forgetting about the chronic carb problems.

I love my stich too. Its great living in MN, you drive up, get measured, and you save 10% on the suit and there is no sales tax on clothes here. Always several cool bikes parked out in front, often from far away states, or countries. I've run into a group of Germans, and a couple from Iceland in the shop. It's kind of a pilgrimage. They have shirts that they only sell there as proof of the visit. My only regret is that I bought it with color backwards, royal blue with black trim. Looks awesome on the bike but off it people ask if its a snowmobile suit. Black is much better and more cycle-like. Oh, and I should have gotten a one piece.

Do ya think that the Vision had anything to do w/Suzuki's SV650/SV1000 designs?

#50 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Do ya think that the Vision had anything to do w/Suzuki's SV650/SV1000 designs?

Couple be. But I think the first bike that totally NAILED that formula was the Honda Hawk GT. Suzuki probably took a few of those apart when designed the SV.

#51 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

We did Europe in 75 on a Honda 400/4.

Last time I owned a bike.

#52 oregonarchist

oregonarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:sailing. cycling. skiing. climbing.

my kids.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Then there was the birth of the Interceptor.

I grew up on dirt bikes, but one fine spring and summer (late 80's?) when I couldn't windsurf while rehabbing from having my knee re-built that winter, I picked up a 700 Magna through an ad in the newspaper. I got the Magna instead of a crotch rocket to try and help behave myself and just enjoy the mellow upright cruiser ride, but with Interceptor engine for a powerplant she did like to run...

It all worked out pretty well until I found myself headed back to Colorado for my final post-surgery check up, ripping through some twisty little Utah canyons, around blind corners, dodging rockfall on the road at 100mph+ with my chin on the gas tank and my hands up on the bars behind my ears until I hit I-70 and sat up for the rest of my ride back to Vail and my knee surgeon. He cleared me to sail again, and I rode back to the gorge and parked the bike and sold it that winter, having proved to myself once again that I am too stupid and lacking in self-control to have a road bike.

Maybe though, I've mellowed with age and after the kids are out of school... those beemers look pretty sweet... :)

#53 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

The Vision is a bike I wish I still owned. It was ahead of its time; liquid cooled V twin, mono shock and shaft drive.

My RD350J (LC) is a little brother to those. Liquid cooled, parallel twin, monoshock, twin front disks, 6 speed box, but a 2 stroke....

I don't think you could buy these in the states but they did sell them in Canada. B)

#54 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

does it have to be motorized??

Attached Files

#55 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

The Vision is a bike I wish I still owned. It was ahead of its time; liquid cooled V twin, mono shock and shaft drive.

My RD350J (LC) is a little brother to those. Liquid cooled, parallel twin, monoshock, twin front disks, 6 speed box, but a 2 stroke....

I miss some of the high performance two strokes.

My 1975 Kawasaki H2 (750cc two stroke triple) was some kind of awesome.

#56 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Now that you mention it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#57 oregonarchist

oregonarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Interests:sailing. cycling. skiing. climbing.

my kids.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Heck no! The best one's aren't, imho B)
Attached File  photo(2).JPG   119.38K   4 downloads

#58 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

OK then I will really reach back in time and show the 1960's KimB (on the Bike, that is Peter Poutney on the Motor.)

Attached Files

• Attached File  PAA2.bmp   335.06K   27 downloads

#59 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Not riding, but being riden?
Attached File  Cross Nats 1990.jpg   509.82K   10 downloads

#60 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

OK then I will really reach back in time and show the 1960's KimB (on the Bike, that is Peter Poutney on the Motor.)

Wow. Nice!

Hey, what are them things coming out of the *top* of the brake hoods? :)

#61 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Wow. Nice!

That was so long ago I can't remember.......here is another (I am far right leading the charge.)

Attached Files

#62 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Kim, those are awesome shots! Pedal power rocks.

I had to DIG for this one... New Years Day, 1998.

Posted Image

#63 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Honda XL250
Honda CB500/4
Yamaha XS1100
Honda CB750 F2
BMW K75s
Ducati 1098
Ducati 900ss (1978)
Moto Guzzi Griso
Honda CB1000rr

Attached Files

#64 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Wow. Nice!

That was so long ago I can't remember.......here is another (I am far right leading the charge.)

Did you take those five names after you completed that ass kicking? :)

#65 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Honda XL250
Honda CB500/4
Yamaha XS1100
Honda CB750 F2
BMW K75s
Ducati 1098
Ducati 900ss (1978)
Moto Guzzi Griso
Honda CB1000rr

Man! That Griso! She's-a beautiful!

#66 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Honda XL250
Honda CB500/4
Yamaha XS1100
Honda CB750 F2
BMW K75s
Ducati 1098
Ducati 900ss (1978)
Moto Guzzi Griso
Honda CB1000rr

You had an original 900SS?? goddamn!

#67 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Honda XL250
Honda CB500/4
Yamaha XS1100
Honda CB750 F2
BMW K75s
Ducati 1098
Ducati 900ss (1978)
Moto Guzzi Griso
Honda CB1000rr

You had an original 900SS?? goddamn!

Kickstart only, so I had a permanent graze on my right shin.

#68 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Honda XL250
Honda CB500/4
Yamaha XS1100
Honda CB750 F2
BMW K75s
Ducati 1098
Ducati 900ss (1978)
Moto Guzzi Griso
Honda CB1000rr

Man! That Griso! She's-a beautiful!

Thought you might like that ... nothing like those Guzzi pots hanging out in the breeze.

#69 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

Wow. Nice!

Did you take those five names after you completed that ass kicking? :)

Uh no, some of those guys were VERY good riders........bonus points if you can name any of them, a couple were top USA riders......

#70 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

A couple of (additional) toys and Mrs. M... and a third of my hot ride in Amsterdam.

Attached Files

#71 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I learned on one of these and at various times owned a Honda NSR and Aprilia RS - both small CC 2 strokes.

Posted Image

#72 ToeCutter

ToeCutter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

I brought an old GoldWing after a 30 year hiatus just for the hell of it. Prior to that had various 100cc, 400cc and 900cc Honda's so always considered my dream bike to be a GW. Besides it was the only bike my missus would want to ride on. I'm seriously considering making a boat trailer for it to haul the tender so I can use it to get to my boat which is about two hours drive from my house.

Posted Image

#73 xFishman

xFishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Computers, My wife, My Dogs, Roxy dog you will be missed

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

I too, have had many bikes throughout my life, and have enjoyed them all very much. I really think that there is a parallel feeling between being on a bike and sailing, maybe slight a sense of the uncontrollable. My last bike was a Suzuki GSX 600 which I rode daily as a commuter vehicle and raced on the weekends. I don’t have a bike right now but have plans to get one again as I miss the feeling of tearing up the Ortega highway early Sunday morning.
Bikes that I owned and loved over the years.
  • Honda 125
  • Honda 400
  • Honda 750 super sport
  • Honda CBX
  • Suzuki 750 katana
  • Suzuki 600 GSXR 600

#74 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

...until I hit I-70 and sat up for the rest of my ride back to Vail and my knee surgeon. He cleared me to sail again, and I rode back to the gorge and parked the bike and sold it that winter, having proved to myself once again that I am too stupid and lacking in self-control to have a road bike.

Bill Sterett at Steadman-Hawkins? Worked on my daughter's knee and shoulder too. Damn good, on call with the US Ski Team, did most of Europe's soccer stars too based on the "wall of shame" they've got. Yao Ming came and gave a (limping) clinic at my kids' school - pictures were awesome. Probably the best knee guy in the country. He's at Vail-Summit Orthopedics now.

#75 Morgan Crew

Morgan Crew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, SCUBA diving, sailing, vintage cars and motorcycles

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yes, the CB450T is a cool ride, I own its bigger brother a 1983 Honda CB1100F. I also own a 1982 Honda CBX, an inline 6 cylinder, 6 carb sport touring bike. Both are considered "milestone bikes." The 1100F was only in the USA one year and the CBX was only made for 4 years - 1979 to 1982. My brother is into CBXs big time and has built a few custom ones. Photos are attached.

Attached Files

#76 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ahhhh. milestone bikes. In the summer of 1969 I bought a Honda 750 sight unseen (had a deposit in my college town on a Norton 750 Commando- switched it over the phone when i saw the magazine road tests on the 750). When it arrived that fall it got quite the attention, although the four carbs meant it went way beyond my tuning skills. First bike anyone had seen with
a disc brake on the front
turn signals
electric start
automatic chain oiler (the only idea NOT a big success)
more than two cylinders (that is figuring most college students had never seen an old four cylinder and I don't think the Kawasaki triples were out then).
Of course i sold it without understanding anything about "early sand cast engines"- next one i saw was in a museum.

That bike changed things forever.

#77 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

In my BMW motorcycle world, there's a disproportionately high correlation between bikers and aircraft pilots. Technically, I still have a pilot's license but put it on the shelf to sail more. Airplanes require too much seat time to remain competent. Any idiot can sail, right!?

#78 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Roughly in chronological order:

Honda pushrod 90
Honda CB350
Suzuki 250 single
Suzuki 350
Yamaha 500 twin
Kawasaki KZ1100
BMW 100RS
Yahama 550 Seca
BWM K100RS
Bimota KB2 TT
Cagiva 650
Ducati 906 Paso
BMW K1100LT
BMW R1100RS
Triumph 650 Bonneville
BMW K1200LT
Vespa Grantourismo

At one time I had eight of these in the garage. Now only the last two and the Bimota. The K100RS and Cagiva 650 were delivered in Europe, ridden all over the Alps into Italy and back to Munich, then put on a plane home. The Bimota was discovered on that trip in Rome, imported a few months later. Here's the wife on the Yamaha awhile back:

Posted Image

#79 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

DDW,

Is that an aftermarket fairing on the Seca? In either case its sweet. Kinda looks the Kawasaki modeled the original Connie after it.

Makes me miss the 650 turbo. It was a bit of a Dr Jeckle/Mr Hyde bike, but it had the sweetest faring of the early 80s.

Posted Image

#80 DDW

DDW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, it was aftermarket, painted to match the tank graphics - I forget the brand. The Seca had a little cafe fairing stock. Unfortunately the wife layed it down in some oil on California Hiway 1 and I could never get a replacement piece for the port side. I remember the 650 turbo.

Here is a selection of cafe fairings from a camping trip to Yosemite with some buddies all riding vintage stuff. My R100RS is the 3rd one back. The most elaborate fairings I have had are on the K1200LT (power windshield, power door locks, dome lights, etc.) and the one on the Bimota KB2. I can't lay my hands on a photo of the Bimota but it looks identical to this one from the internet. The BMW is about 850 lbs and huge, the Bimota is just over 300 I think and tiny - really too small for me at 5 foot 16 inches tall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#81 chessiebaysailor

chessiebaysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I sold the TDM850 after coming to the DC area. Odd bikes that didn't sell well in the States but I liked it. The metro traffic is too insane for my chicken heart. I preferred safe riding...like all the way down the Blue Ridge to Deals Gap and back. The Suzuki 450E introduced me to riding and I should have kept it.

#82 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

In my BMW motorcycle world, there's a disproportionately high correlation between bikers and aircraft pilots. Technically, I still have a pilot's license but put it on the shelf to sail more. Airplanes require too much seat time to remain competent. Any idiot can sail, right!?

Yeah, try owning 2 Harley's, a sailboat and this....
Posted Image

I don't know what do do when the sun shines.

#83 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Probably working to pay for it all.

#84 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Pretty much.

I do have a renter that pays a good chunk of the fixed costs on the plane.

#85 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Mung, there must be a story with the green Mung Bros rig with the sidecar. Would love to hear it.

#86 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I have a 10-year old Road King with 3k miles on it. I'm pretty sure that I put twice the miles on my YZ80 in half the time when I was 10.

Riding anywhere in this city is a gamble with life & limb. I'd rather be ripping up an old logging road scaring the daylights out of an unsuspecting jackrabbit.

Does anyone do any off-roading?

#87 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Pretty much.

I do have a renter that pays a good chunk of the fixed costs on the plane.

That's OK then.
For a while I was worried you might be rich.

#88 deluxe68

deluxe68

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

I don't have a pic of my current bike. Well, I do but I would have to put my beer down to get it. I started out with dirt bikes @1966 and currently have a KTM 990ADV and a KTM 250SX. The picture is me on my Husky CR250MAG back in 1974. Favorite bike was a Ducati 749.

Posted Image

#89 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

I don't have a pic of my current bike. Well, I do but I would have to put my beer down to get it. I started out with dirt bikes @1966 and currently have a KTM 990ADV and a KTM 250SX. The picture is me on my Husky CR250MAG back in 1974. Favorite bike was a Ducati 749.

Posted Image

Nice Pic.

Oh man, my favorite was my old Husky CR390 ('79, I think), toaster tank and all, that I fireroaded all over the local area until I got pitched onto a rock breaking my collarbone... Still way safer than street riding!

#90 jgbrown

jgbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yup. Part of the plan I have is to find a boat I can stick a bike in, probably have to downsize to something like a CT110 and get back to traveling.

For now, here's my daily commuter, and first bike ever, a guy gave her to me in exhange for driving him across the province, he was going to give me 50$ for gas, but we got to talking about bikes and I mentioned I'd always wanted one. She'd been sitting close to a decade, so we stuffed her sideways in the back of my Jeep(he said it was a small air cooled single when offering her to me) supposedly the tank had been drained, and it looked empty at the shop. Got in with a lit smoke and got out again in a hurry. We drained all the fluids, then I drove her down to the coast and left her sitting at my uncles for another year.

My relationship at the time went to hell, so I welded up some scrap bar for side racks and stuck bicycle saddlebags on backwards, threw out the passenger footpegs and went south.

Back when I'd just finished a month of rebuilding and upgrading with a great builder in California.
Custom secondary fuel tank welded up and plumbed in with a separate shutoff valve, doubled the capacity of the main tank, better brakes, suspension etc.

Posted Image

Police chief in Antigua loved her. He bugged me for weeks to take her for a ride

Posted Image

In Honduras, by this point half the parts were held on with whatever wire and bolts I could find, we didn't use locktite during the rebuild, parts are still falling off now two years later. Had a few crashes along the way too. My rear exhaust on one side was replaced with a piece of scrap pipe after the original fell off in Mexico, burning up my stuff in one of the saddlebags when it went. I'd added the passenger pegs back, welded up out of scrap pipe at the same time.

Posted Image

#91 deluxe68

deluxe68

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Posted Image

Nice Pic.

Oh man, my favorite was my old Husky CR390 ('79, I think), toaster tank and all, that I fireroaded all over the local area until I got pitched onto a rock breaking my collarbone... Still way safer than street riding!

This same bike tossed me off a few years later and I broke my right collarbone. I was riding 2 months later and went down in a slow sweeper, young and dumb luck I did not re-break.

#92 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,475 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Luke the Cowdog rides, that's who.

Posted Image

#93 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Used to ride when I was young - I had a Suzuki GS 550 that I put close to 50K miles on. I rode it once from Maryland to El Paso, TX, and rode to Michigan quite a few times. It stopped working, and I got too busy to fix it, and ended up selling it. I've thought about buying another bike, but the drivers around here have gotten crazier and the roads even more congested.

I'd stopped by a local Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha dealer when I took my lawnmower in to get fixed there. None of the bikes there interested me. They seemed to be either a HD wannabe, a crotch rocket, or a full bore tourer.

But I saw this pic a couple of months ago:

Posted Image

#94 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Mung, there must be a story with the green Mung Bros rig with the sidecar. Would love to hear it.

Simple, KDH...I used to love high speed, long distance rides on my BMW's with the wife, 'BK'. Kids came along. I didn't want to wait 10-15 years to introduce them to my hobby. With the rig, I can fit two side-by-side for slow-speed trips around town. They have an absolute blast....and we can carry on a conversation. Wife loves it too for picnics and in this case...as transit to a weekend of spa-time at the Mayflower Inn!

#95 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'd stopped by a local Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha dealer when I took my lawnmower in to get fixed there. None of the bikes there interested me. They seemed to be either a HD wannabe, a crotch rocket, or a full bore tourer.

That was the issue I had when I was looking for a new motorcycle in 2009. Non of them interested me.

#96 Satori

Satori

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Currently a Wee Strom 650. Daily ride unless snow or frost or need the truck to haul stuff, so ride 300? days of the year?
Triumph 500 for a bit in high school, then jobs, dollars and stuff got in the way so nothing for 30 years.
Honda Nighthawk
Honda 919
Triumph Sprint RS
'07 Suzuki V-Strom

Strom is a bit vanilla, but surprising in twists and on the slab. And economic as all get out.

jcm

#97 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I started out small and have not owned very many like many of you. Here is my complete list (in order from 1972):

Suzuki 80 (don't know what model or year, it was a trade in at the shop only owned it a few months)

Honda CL 90(1969? 1972-1973, rebuilt, bored and ported. another shop trade in)

Honda CL125(1973)

Honda XL250(1974-1986, my woods bike)

Honda CB350(1970? 1980-1982,Rebuilt the engine and daily commuter)

Honda CB450T (1982-2009, my daily commuter for many years)

Buell XB12X, Ullysses, 2009 ( my only bike now. Fun rider and longer range touring/camping bike)

#98 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Motorcycles are the best fun when ridden on water.

Posted Image

#99 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Posted Image

Did someone fart? <_<

First bike was a 68 BSA 441 Victor Special, but Lucas being Lucas, it wouldn't start on the day of my mc licence test. Borrowed my brother's 75 Norton 850 Commando, couldn't quite keep it on the circle...examiner said I passed because I didn't dump it. :P Spent a bit of time up Old Topanga on the cafe'd out 441, the Norton with a solo seat, clipons, and rearsets, and a couple of greymarket Rd350lc's. Drove by there a month ago, it's all RUBs and kids in full leathers on plastic fantastic crotchrockets telling each other how fast they would be if The Man wasn't staked out on the corner. :rolleyes: Why back in my day, jeans and tshirts was the uniform...and stay off my lawn. (Momma said I didn't have much sense)
For your veiwing pleasure...

#100 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image

Did someone fart? <_<

You don't see the similarities? Motorcycles are generally useless, loud and annoying to non-participants, great fun to riders. Jetskis are generally useless, loud and annoying to non-participants, great fun to riders.

A big difference is that it was really friggin funny when my stepdaughter and her boyfriend flipped that one. Well, it was funny to everyone except their dog, who swam out to try a rescue. It was not needed. I had explained to them that there is a right direction and a REALLY BAD direction to roll it back over, they got it right and hopped back on. No harm, no foul, just fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users