• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techdef

techdef

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hey all - I'm pretty sure this wont be the first time someone asks this, but seach turned up nada...

Would like to install a new Nexus NXR-Multi on my midship thwart so driver & tactician can reach it, rather than buying two that is... Maybe crazy, but somehow I'm thinking of mounting the instrument onto a harken 241 swivel base, the thinking being that it would always swing around and be facing the high side for us to see. Has anyone done this or similar?

-j

Attached Files

#2 fevasailor

fevasailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea! Can't see why it wouldn't particularly... maybe get in the way a bit? I don't know!

#3 LakeBoy

LakeBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

How would you keep it from always swiveling to leeward when you don't want it to?

Fisheries Supplies carried a line of instrument mounts. http://www.fisheries...y.com/ram-mount Maybe something here will fit the bill.

#4 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Hey all - I'm pretty sure this wont be the first time someone asks this, but seach turned up nada...

Would like to install a new Nexus NXR-Multi on my midship thwart so driver & tactician can reach it, rather than buying two that is... Maybe crazy, but somehow I'm thinking of mounting the instrument onto a harken 241 swivel base, the thinking being that it would always swing around and be facing the high side for us to see. Has anyone done this or similar?

-j

How would you keep the cable from getting too many twists?

#5 allen

allen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

The other issue you would have is that the wires would work harden and break at some point. That is assuming they are copper wires which they almost certainly are. We used steel wires on some cables that would get a lot of flex. Of course, if you do something to decrease the bend radius, ie spread the bend out over a lot of the wire, you should be OK. That is generally called a strain relief. You can install a counter weight which will fall to the low side exposing your display to the high side if you want.

#6 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

I see a stray line or foot taking out the instrument and/or wiring

#7 fevasailor

fevasailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

How would you keep it from always swiveling to leeward when you don't want it to?

I guess that's the idea, and the instrument will be fixed to the inside of the swivel, as it were... that way, the instrument's weight would take it to leeward, and display the correct face the right way up.

#8 mowgli

mowgli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Cheekee Monkee setup
Seen in F-boats Yahoo
http://xa.yimg.com/k...699970/name/n_a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users