12 replies to this topic

#1 PaulinVictoria

PaulinVictoria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, drinking.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Has anyone tried out the knee pads (Musto or Magic Marine) that have the 3Do custard gel in them? Seems like they would be a good thing when working on the bow, flexible, thin yet impact proof.
I've looked at volleyball type pads and whilst they look pretty comfortable (and cheap), they are kind bulky under foulies, and they are going to get ripped to pieces on the non-skid once we're back to shorts weather. Hard-shell ones are going to slide like crap.
Yeah, I know, man up and all that, but my knees are getting destroyed to the point that I am having trouble walking upstairs for a couple of days after racing and I'd rather be some pussy wearing knee pads than in a wheelchair.
Cheers

#2 pickles

pickles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

The MUSTO ones are great! I was at the same stage you are at not being able to do too much for a few days after a days sailing, but now I can go for a run the next day with out any problems.

#3 The Man

The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

D3o its self is an amazing material. The rate at which it compresses changes with the force of the impact. The idea is that kneeling lightly on the deck will result in a significant amount of compression of the pad, but slamming down on the deck will result in the same amount of compression. If you had normal foam pads in the second case they would compress completely in the first instant of the impact, and you would feel the hard deck.

I have had luck with the magic ones, but I would guess that the musto ones are similar.

#4 henry the navigator

henry the navigator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

I won't go sailing with out mine.

#5 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

The Musto knee pads are great!

#6 PaulinVictoria

PaulinVictoria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, drinking.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I managed to find 1 actual review on the Musto ones and the guy was complaining about them cutting up the back of his knees with the stitching. Anyone found that, or did they change the design?

#7 dudewood

dudewood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I bought the Musto ones last season. Best thing I have ever bought. I will not sail without them.

#8 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Spinlock knee pads are great too. Bought them for the wife for anniversary present. She wasn't impressed...

#9 pickles

pickles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

As for cutting in to the back of the knee I find them a lot better than the spinlock ones. The spinlock ones irritate the back of my knee, especially when it's hot and sweaty the musto ones not so much for me.

The spinlock knee pads are good but not on the same level as the 3Do ones.

#10 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have Henri Lloyd salopettes with removable knee-pad inserts, love 'em, that's another way to go.

#11 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Try 'em all on , bend , crawl, jump , whatever. Some volleyball pads are just a foam cup over the knee cap. Longer is better. I would guess that five different people would like five different brands, matter of taste. Doesn't matter that the cheap volley ball style in sporting good stores get scuffed after six weeks or a summer, try a new pair or replace the old ones. What ever you choose, you will be a better bow (person?) for your added mobility/ fearless mobility. All of us wear 'em on our B32

#12 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I use the Spinlocks: xlnt as far as I am concerned.

#13 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

How do you guys who have tried them think they will go on small, wet boats?

My Knees get smashed on light air days in the Moth and have worn knee pads in the past with some benefits...

cheers

SW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users