#1 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

What exactly does the word “World” mean in ISAF World Cup?
What constitutes a reasonable international attendance at these events?
The first round of the 2013 ISAF World Cup started in Melbourne (AUS) just a few days ago. On scanning the results I noticed a couple of interesting points. Not only are participant numbers small, but there appear to be only a few countries represented in each class, and in some cases no competitors other than for the host nation.

The numbers are

Class
International entrants
Total Fleet size
Finn
Laser
Radial
470M
470W
49er
49FX
RSXM
SKUD 18
Viper

Kite M
Kite W

Those numbers do not compare well with previous years and racing a World Cup with a fleet of 3 or even 5 seems ludicrous.
I can hear the apologists screaming that it is a post Olympic phase and it is always quieter just after the Olympics. Yes, that was the case in the last century but anyone who is realistic about winning in Rio should be out there now, racing against the best and training constantly. Modern day athletes cannot afford to take time off from training if they wish to compete with the top guys.
The Kite numbers are impressive and sort of prove my point. The Mens 470 gold medallist is out there competing.....
Where is everybody else? Does it really matter?

#2 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

What exactly does the word “World” mean in ISAF World Cup?
What constitutes a reasonable international attendance at these events?
The first round of the 2013 ISAF World Cup started in Melbourne (AUS) just a few days ago. On scanning the results I noticed a couple of interesting points. Not only are participant numbers small, but there appear to be only a few countries represented in each class, and in some cases no competitors other than for the host nation.

The numbers are

Class
International entrants
Total Fleet size
Finn
Laser
Radial
470M
470W
49er
49FX
RSXM
SKUD 18
Viper

Kite M
Kite W

Those numbers do not compare well with previous years and racing a World Cup with a fleet of 3 or even 5 seems ludicrous.
I can hear the apologists screaming that it is a post Olympic phase and it is always quieter just after the Olympics. Yes, that was the case in the last century but anyone who is realistic about winning in Rio should be out there now, racing against the best and training constantly. Modern day athletes cannot afford to take time off from training if they wish to compete with the top guys.
The Kite numbers are impressive and sort of prove my point. The Mens 470 gold medallist is out there competing.....
Where is everybody else? Does it really matter?

The attendance at this regatta is the answer to the question: what does Jerome Pels know about sportsmarketing?

#3 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Haha I have a very insightful and true story of one of Jeromes bigger blunders. He really is a stuffed shirt bureaucrat isnt he?
Does he actually go sailing?
Story to follow if enough interest.

#4 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Haha I have a very insightful and true story of one of Jeromes bigger blunders. He really is a stuffed shirt bureaucrat isnt he?
Does he actually go sailing?
Story to follow if enough interest.

He has his bro in law Anislie do all the sailing in the family. Jerome just cleans up the mess, and pimps for him.

Do tell....

#5 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

Well, in 2001 I was coaching an asian country at the Youth Worlds in Morgon-Crozet in France. Early on, before we even left for France, I contacted Pels in his role as ISAF El-Supremo for the event, to enquire about the food arrangements for the sailors. I explained that more than half my team were practicing Muslims with specific but not onerous diet requirements. He asked me what that meant!! I explained that food had to be prepared in the Halal style and that pork particularly, was not allowed. The arrogant bastard then told me not to worry as ISAF had plenty of experience running international sailing events.
On the first night of the regatta, after an Opening Ceremony where the sailors were separated from the dignitaries by a 2 metre tall wire fence, we finally got to the food hall for dinner. Not a dignitary in sight! Just hundreds of elite youth sailors gasping for food. The food was late and eaten whilst sitting on the floor as there were no tables and chairs yet!. And the menu? HAM steak and pineapple! I quietly approached an official to find out if there was an alternative, pre organised by El Supremo but alas there was not. Pels eventually arrived to handle my complaint and assured me there would be halal food the next day. He suggested that for one night the kids could forego their religion and lifetime habit and eat pork! I was flabbergasted at his particularly narrowminded and hypocritical position as he went back to dine 5 stars with the dignitaries. Our team linked up with 2 other teams and went into the nearby village and had an awesome halal meal at a 'local' restaurant.
That man has no idea about people!

#6 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

Well, in 2001 I was coaching an asian country at the Youth Worlds in Morgon-Crozet in France. Early on, before we even left for France, I contacted Pels in his role as ISAF El-Supremo for the event, to enquire about the food arrangements for the sailors. I explained that more than half my team were practicing Muslims with specific but not onerous diet requirements. He asked me what that meant!! I explained that food had to be prepared in the Halal style and that pork particularly, was not allowed. The arrogant bastard then told me not to worry as ISAF had plenty of experience running international sailing events.
On the first night of the regatta, after an Opening Ceremony where the sailors were separated from the dignitaries by a 2 metre tall wire fence, we finally got to the food hall for dinner. Not a dignitary in sight! Just hundreds of elite youth sailors gasping for food. The food was late and eaten whilst sitting on the floor as there were no tables and chairs yet!. And the menu? HAM steak and pineapple! I quietly approached an official to find out if there was an alternative, pre organised by El Supremo but alas there was not. Pels eventually arrived to handle my complaint and assured me there would be halal food the next day. He suggested that for one night the kids could forego their religion and lifetime habit and eat pork! I was flabbergasted at his particularly narrowminded and hypocritical position as he went back to dine 5 stars with the dignitaries. Our team linked up with 2 other teams and went into the nearby village and had an awesome halal meal at a 'local' restaurant.

People wonder why the sport is fucked up.

#7 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,850 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

The Kite numbers are impressive and sort of prove my point.

Sorry but given that kites are no longer in for Rio, in what way do they prove your point?

#8 Lake Shark

Lake Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:boats, babes, and brews

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

damn that is fucked up, as someone who has coached a youth team with half the kids having dietary restrictions i can commiserate. it is annoying as hell to show up to a regatta after having notified the organizers that some of my kids are vegetarian and have been since birth and that two of them are celiacs just to have it blown off as "why don't the just eat normal food"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users