#1 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tits, boats, pussy, boats, tits

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Ok, so have the mast out of a mumm 30 and wanting to make sure everything was right before it goes back in. Check cable for MHU and a number of spots have chafe down to bare copper, basically the cable is fucked. Easy I thought, buy new cable re solder into plug and presto, seems in pulling things apart I may have fucked them even more. I pulled the rubber grommet off the back of the plug assembly and it came with some pins and some pins stayed in the plug.

So, question is, is this completely fucked, can the wire be replaced. How does one re-feed the individual wire through the grommet at the back of the plug? Or, do I need to buy a new plug and cable assembly.

Cheers

#2 Erik O

Erik O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:B&G Hydra, Hercules, H2000, GoFree, Zeus Touch

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi Bowman81,

If you need some new plugs or pins, you can order them at farnell/element14.
For instance the pins:
http://au.element14....242?Ntt=593-242

The hole unit is a standard AMP connector.
For the Vertical MHU I have the correct codes on my site:
http://www.oppedijk.com/bandg/mhu

For the horizontal I don't know the right order codes, so if you figure them out, please let us know.

Erik

#3 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hi Erik, thanks for the reply and links. I will try to attach picture when I can but the pins you linked above are not quite the same as the ones I removed, they have 2 rubber water seals on the shaft to prevent ingress into the plug.

It appears that the tapered rubber grommet at the back of the plug appears to be moulded around the wires once they are soldered in place. To get past this I have drilled this out to allow the wire to pass though and I will reseal with a silicon once everything is soldered in place. I think I have managed to save the pins which can be reused so hopefully everything will go back together and last another 10 years until it's someone else problem.

#4 Erik O

Erik O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:B&G Hydra, Hercules, H2000, GoFree, Zeus Touch

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

The whole connector should be filled with something like SikaFlex. Can you post some pictures of the pins and assembly?

#5 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Real PITA to fix with the rig in. I would be inclined to buy the whole thing together so it is legit. If you are going to DIY it at least think about a way to test it before the rig goes in.

#6 bowman81

bowman81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. The pic below shows the pins, you can see the 2 black bands which are weather proofing to prevent water ingress from the front of the plug. Because the black grommet is moulded around the cable from factory I have hollowed the front out and have got my electronics guru to solder it all together before filling the grommet with silicon/sikaflex then reassembling. The correct pin out is available on the BG website and we can check continuity before re installing it. It all sounds easy when written down like that...

Posted Image

#7 Sailing Cobra

Sailing Cobra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, computer, painting, music

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi,

I 'm new on this forum so greetings to you all. I 'm also have a question about B&G mastunit 213. I removed the mastunit during the winter and when I replaced it something goes wrong. By replacing I turned it where the inside plug in the foot damaged and broke 5 of the 6 pins. Question is where can I find the connector to replace it. The connector is not a whole connector but only the print with the pins. At B&G Tinley they have no answer as it is an old unit.

I tried to place some pictures on this topic, but unfortunately I was not succeeded. In the helpfile on this topic I couldn't find how to do it so mayby one of you can give me some advice. Thanks for your help. Greetings from Rotterdam. Henk.

#8 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Collecting money. Not very successful at it, though.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

sorry to say, but you will probably have to replace the spar (part# 213-10-003).

/LC

#9 Sailing Cobra

Sailing Cobra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

On my last post I had a question about the 213 mastunit. By searching on the net I found out that my mastunit is not the 213 but the 283 wich is an unit used with the B&G Network. It was introduced in 1988 and discontinued at 1996, so it is an very old unit. The question is still the same. The connector is situated inside the spar. I have the whole unit dismanteled and I will replace the cables and the connector from wich the pins has broken. Where can I find a replaceconnector. Can I replace it with a connector from Farnell/Unit14? Thanks for help. Henk.

#10 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

ah..

Yes, the tiny board can indeed be replaced... if you can find a spare one..

I checked my drawers and I only found a damaged thingie. However, I also found six new pins....  Ping me.

/ LC

#11 Sailing Cobra

Sailing Cobra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

I posted some pictures about the connector 238. I posted from Photobucket and the pictures are very large. Sorry.

IMG_3891_zps48e0fa29.jpg

#12 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

You have snail mail, Henk.

Good luck

/LC

#13 waterguy500

waterguy500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hi LeCanard and Sailing Cobra,

I have a B&G 496 masthead unit and I just buggered 5 of the 6 pins in the same way that Sailing Cobra damaged the pins on his B&G 283 masthead unit. Could you guys please help me identify the pins and where they can be sourced so that I can repair my MHU? See the enclosed photo.

Thanks very much.

wg

Attached Files

#14 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I just sent my last pins to Sailing Cobra.

#15 waterguy500

waterguy500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

Thanks anyway. Can you tell me where i can buy the pins? and what size or specification / /manufacturer they are?

i tried some Harwin 2101-01 pins, but they were loose in the female terminal. they were supposed to measure 0.95mm pin diameter, but they arrived with pin diameters of 0.83 mm and will not provide a secure connection.

#16 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

I got them from a company called Brookes & Gatehouse many years ago at a time when I used to work with their stuff. I still have lots of old bits and peices in my drawers, but those were my 283/496-pins. 

/LC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users