#3 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

The little island just to right of center is were we start our racing a lot of the time. My boat/our club to the left near the headland. You can see the sea to sky highway to Whistler. In the distance is Vancouver Island/Gulf Islands - a popular cruising destination. If you pan in the vid at between 30 sec to around 50 secs. That's Howe Sound, Bowen Island, Gibsons and Gambier Is. We have an outstation on Gambier (Elliott Bay) so it takes about 1:45 to reach it. Easy to do on a Friday night thru Sunday. 40 acres of wilderness just rocks, water and Xmas trees! No roads to speak of.

The club website is here and there is a Photostream option: http://www.wvyc.bc.ca/

Yes Paps it's a beautiful place.

I'll shut up now!

#4 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

If I could I would live there. Truly God's country. Thanks Maxx

#5 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks JC - I've thought of leaving but just "visiting" other places is just fine thank you. Yes, it's wet a lot of the time but very green and fresh. When it's good you can't beat it with a big stick.

Elliott Bay in September during the week when the kids are back to school - outstanding. Still warm enough for shorts & t's most years. Swim if you are brave enough.

Attached Files

#6 rodauthor

rodauthor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Boat Slave

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I was in your area mt biking a few years ago. I long to return to sail and to fly fish. I can see why the Haida saw magic in the creatures there

#7 Timo42's sockpuppet

Timo42's sockpuppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

My backyard looks like Dale's avatar, between the gophers and the dogs, :( someday I'll get up there, thanks for the pics. :)

#8 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Maxx, SWMBO and I drove that area last year when we did the Sunshine Coast trip. Love that area! KB

#9 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Maxx, I feel the guilt of putting up with all that evil around us ! You sailing this coming weekend?

#10 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Maxx, SWMBO and I drove that area last year when we did the Sunshine Coast trip. Love that area! KB

I do road trips up the Sunshine Coast after the weather turns, like Canadian Thanksgiving, and then hop on the ferry to Powell River. About 20 miles north of town the road literally ends at the start of Desolation Sound. You have to go by boat then as its,well,desolate!

I don't have enough time today but maybe I'll re-size some of the pics if you like.

But if you haven't done the Sunshine Coast and the Skookumchuck Narrows you just have too!

#11 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

I do road trips up the Sunshine Coast after the weather turns, like Canadian Thanksgiving, and then hop on the ferry to Powell River. About 20 miles north of town the road literally ends at the start of Desolation Sound. You have to go by boat then as its,well,desolate!

I don't have enough time today but maybe I'll re-size some of the pics if you like.

But if you haven't done the Sunshine Coast and the Skookumchuck Narrows you just have too!

Yes we hiked out to the narrows and sat there for an hour just watching the angry water, that is really worth the trip. Love that area of Canada. (Heck I love much of Canada, especially the parts on salt water east and west.

#12 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Maxx, I feel the guilt of putting up with all that evil around us ! You sailing this coming weekend?

Thanks WHL but I really don't have a program anymore. Last biggie I was sailing on the McKeemobile (Dark Star)which wasn't too shabby; well we erked out a Div. 1 win and a 2nd OA in Straits. A little M24 stuff but I'm quite content to see what comes along. That said I'll probably be lurking on Sunday but thank you for asking. You?

#13 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Thanks WHL but I really don't have a program anymore. Last biggie I was sailing on the McKeemobile (Dark Star)which wasn't too shabby; well we erked out a Div. 1 win and a 2nd OA in Straits. A little M24 stuff but I'm quite content to see what comes along. That said I'll probably be lurking on Sunday but thank you for asking. You?

CM1200 (Raven) on Saturday in the Hot Rum series (we're going to do a match racing start with the Taylor 40 B) we got 'em hooked in the last race )
Bendy Toy 36.7 (Mischa) in the Snowflake series on Sunday.

#14 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Yes we hiked out to the narrows and sat there for an hour just watching the angry water, that is really worth the trip. Love that area of Canada. (Heck I love much of Canada, especially the parts on salt water east and west.

Here's some of the tidal bore in the Skookumchuk rapids for our other veiwers. Yes! that is saltwater! Rips up to 16 knots:

Make to sure to look at a couple of them.

I'm here and I still find them fascinating. One of the true wonders of nature

#15 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

What I did at Thanksgiving:

North of Powell River looking at Texada Is.

Attached Files

#16 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Is there a CA photo album around anywhere for stuff like that? Otherwise maybe I'll start one over the silly season.

Er...no tits - sorry! lol.

#17 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,317 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Nice pix, Maxx. There is a Gallery that you can upload to and link images in, so you get fullscreen when you post. Top of the page...

We went through Skookumchuck at slack (of course), and it was still swirly as hell. All the boats sit on both sides and make a mad dash through when they can.

Posted Image

#18 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Ish. The entrance of the Skookumchuck is a magical place. You step in to a new world. Hidden Basin is like that. Saltwater rapids that cut off the regular world. Sort of like sailing into Middle Earth. You'll never be the same.

I found the gallery (thanks) but I was really looking for is some "artsy" pics that aren't so much people & just boats rather like scenic/nature. Perhaps I'll do my own in the gallery - I've got tons as I'm an artsy guy. That's why I like Sean Trews work. All light & composure.

I'll work on it but for now - Pendrell Sound.

Attached Files

#19 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,127 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

My backyard looks like Dale's avatar, between the gophers and the dogs, :( someday I'll get up there, thanks for the pics. :)

Crybaby. :P

This is one of a few areas in my yard that has recently been of interest to the local wild pig population:

Posted Image

The piece of metal is the rear gate from my yard trailer. It's where it is in this photo because that's where we buried my friend's dog. I recently needed the trailer with gate, so now there is an even bigger hole where the dog is buried. Fortunately, they lost interest when they got close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users