• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I met Doug as a member of the Moosehead Committee. It was only a few years, but I enjoyed his company very much. He had to resign as his health was deteriorating, and he knew where his short time left here on earth was better spent. He courageously fought a horrible disease with honor, dignity and humor. He was a terrific guy who gave so much to sailing and race management. Please keep Doug and his family in your thoughts.

Below is a notice sent out by his club, Centerport YC (Long Island. NY)

It is with deep regret that I announce the passing of Doug Brown. Doug was a very active, long time member of CYC. Born into a New England sailing family, Doug had a lifelong passion for sailing, which he put to good use for CYC. He served as Fleet Captain, chairman of the Race Committee and was a veritable fixture on Lady Hawk, where he served as PRO for our one design fleets for many years. His tireless contributions to CYC notwithstanding, Doug will be missed most for his gentlemanly nature and his ability to make us laugh. Doug was regarded by his friends as the funniest person in the world. Our thoughts and prayers go to Elaine, Nat, Lexi and Ian Brown. Services will be held at M.A. Connell Funeral Home, 934 New York Ave, Huntington Station on Tuesday December 11, from 2:00-4:00 and 7:00-9:00

Biography

Douglas Wheeler Brown of Huntington, NY, passed away peacefully on December 7th after a four-year battle with Parkinsons. He was 53 years old. Born on April 15, 1959 in New London, CT, Doug grew up in the Old Black Point community of Niantic, CT. After graduating from Philips Exeter Academy, he went on earn his A.B. from Brown University and his J.D. from Tulane University Law School. He is survived by his mother, Barbara Brown, siblings Bruce Brown and Priscilla Vesce, as well as his beloved wife Elaine (neé Dolan) and children Nathaniel, Alexandra, and Ian Brown. Doug was a loving son, brother, husband and father, as well as a treasured friend of many. His lifelong love of sailing could be matched only by his love for making people laugh. He faced his illness with incredible courage, and never ceased to bring joy to those in his life.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Douglas’ memory to the Adele Smithers Parkinson Disease Treatment Center at the New York Institute of Technology, or to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.

#2 twister

twister

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

I worked on the RC with Doug several times. I enjoyed his insights on race committee, racers, and rules. They were usually very helpful and entertaining. His humor and wit will be missed. My condolences to his wife and family.

Fair winds Doug!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users