#301 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Pac Cup vs. Vic-Maui   Mid-day Monday reports

I seem to remember that there used to be so much more chatter on these big races, and even Spin Cup would generate 5-page threads.   I guess no one cares anymore, or they are burned out, or flicked or what?

2014-07-14_125535.jpg

Glad to see Snafu on top of their leaderboard this morning!

Would love to have a port - starboard between fleets, ensuing protest, figure out the boat was from "the other" race to Hawaii..... Settled over Mai-Tai's on a neutral island....

#302 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

I like it.  Mai-Tais at dawn.  First team to pass out before the sun sets loses the protest.  I think you're onto something here!

#303 DogBalls

DogBalls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

I like it.  Mai-Tais at dawn.  First team to pass out before the sun sets loses the protest.  I think you're onto something here!

I have been know to make sense, or a funny, from time to time

#304 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Day nine, and another day with the Donovan 30 leading double-handed. Bill and Melinda have lead at every 20-hour position report except the second day. Thirsty is making a serious charge, though, and the race isn't over until the finish! Looks like they are finally getting 200+ mile days consistently.

#305 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Day nine, and another day with the Donovan 30 leading double-handed. Bill and Melinda have lead at every 20-hour position report except the second day. Thirsty is making a serious charge, though, and the race isn't over until the finish! Looks like they are finally getting 200+ mile days consistently.

Nice, but you do realize that Bill and Melinda could enter a Cal 20 and still be leading the double handed fleets (yes both fleets) boat for boat. B)

#306 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Lol. Very likely.

And now day ten, they are climbing up the overall leader board. Probably not enough. Thirsty, also doing quite well!

#307 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Big race shaping up now between the two J-125's  hamachi splitting gybes to come into the islands from the north side.  Smart move I think.  

#308 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

Tiburon busted their rudder.
http://www.pressure-...on-Loses-Rudder

#309 nathan_bossett

nathan_bossett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

They've got extra equipment and extra water from Cayenne (courtesy of Michael M), plus Will Paxton.

They'll be fine. The real question is whether they're faster with alternative steering than California Condor was a few years back ^_^

#310 alcoholfunnycar

alcoholfunnycar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, fast boats.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

Snafu is having a helluva race.

#311 stinky

stinky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

Tiburon busted their rudder.http://www.pressure-...on-Loses-Rudder

They've got extra equipment and extra water from Cayenne (courtesy of Michael M), plus Will Paxton.

They'll be fine. The real question is whether they're faster with alternative steering than California Condor was a few years back ^_^

No, the real question is whether they run out of ciggerettes!

#312 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Here is Jim Antrim's account of that 2010 Pac Cup: http://www.pressure-...010-Pacific-Cup

Four days into the race, past the half way point, they went from doing 20 knots(!) in 22 knots of breeze (average speed: steady 14+) and expecting a first to finish... to breaking _BOTH_ rudders and taking another 8+ days to finish using a Jordan series drogue to steer.

We set to work over the next few days, experimenting with different sail combinations, trying to increase speed by reducing the length of drogue, and jury rigging one of the rudders. The drogue length we settled on was shorter than ideal, less than ¼ of the full length, which meant that we had to steer constantly and our course was unstable. “Steering” consisted of playing one leg of the drogue bridle while standing at a winch, ease for a starboard turn, crank like mad for a port turn. The boat swung back and forth drunkenly but our speed was up to around 4 knots and on average we were aimed at Oahu. After a couple days of hard work we had a rudder ready to mount, with gudgeons jury rigged from old cracked and broken pieces and spectra lashing. Would it survive a day or a week? Should we mount it now or save it for the final approach to Hawaii? We decided to go for it. Several frustrating and exhausting attempts to mount the rudder ensued over the next few days. As David said at one point, “It takes three men and a forklift to mount this thing in the boatyard.” Not an easy thing in a seaway to mount a precisely aligned blade and get two pins aligned and inserted. Each time we refined our technique, and waited impatiently for the next lull in the wind and seaway.

#313 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Snafu is having a helluva race.

Gilles does all the rigging work on my boat that I don't do, hope he does well.

#314 Mr Moab

Mr Moab

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Great battle going on between Pyewacket and Scarlett Runner, only a few minutes between them for class and overall. Have seen the lead swap with last two gybes. Outa be an interesting final 200 miles.

#315 quezal1

quezal1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Anyone have an idea what the return weather will be like for boats leaving this week on their own bottom ??.where would one find this info

#316 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Ocean Prediction Center
U of HI
NWS

Are you crewing on a delivery?

#317 Lat21

Lat21

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Unedited short video of Hamachi lit up on her way to Kaneohe:

https://www.facebook...&type=2

#318 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

Hey Roleur! If you get on line and read this......Aloooha! Welcome to HI. Nicely done. Enjoy the mai tais, jump in the pool to rinse off, and get some sleep. Then we want to hear about the shit that didn't make your blog.

#319 alcoholfunnycar

alcoholfunnycar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, fast boats.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Excellent, 15-minute interview with Bill Erkelens on the Wolfpack. https://www.youtube....h?v=IZ3peFYqaqc

#320 Lat21

Lat21

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hamachi Pac Cup video: https://www.youtube....h?v=gckKAPV8qNE

#321 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Pacific Cup 2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

Hey Roleur! If you get on line and read this......Aloooha! Welcome to HI. Nicely done. Enjoy the mai tais, jump in the pool to rinse off, and get some sleep. Then we want to hear about the shit that didn't make your blog.

Nick, it was all there in the blog.  In fact, it was far easier to describe the problems we had than the hours of sublime rolling along with the kite up day after day.  Boat was great, our prep was good, boat handling was good, route wasn't bad, but we need more heavy air downwind wheel time.  We simply weren't very fast in a straight line once the kites went up.  Also, we thought we were pushing, but after the dock talk in Kaneohe I realize we were quite conservative compared to those in front of us.  

Next time...  There will be a next time...  We'll be 750 pounds lighter, carry bigger kites longer, and be better drivers, handsteering a lot more.  

#322 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:27 AM

I read your blog daily. so did my mother btw. Ok so you kind of reigned it in. It was your first one. Trust me, I know what its like. How about your routing etc? Anything you'd do different with a week of contemplation? You also considered pulling the wheel for a tiller. Now that you've done it, what's your opinion for a boat of your size sailed shorthanded? Did the full size dodger get in the way at all? Would you still go with a roller furling genoa, or with hanked on jibs? You know, now that you and Kris are smiling at your trophy, and thinking of a mantel clock...other than be more aggressive longer...what, in the light of your new experience, would you do differently?

#323 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

Oh, we have a good list of things we'd do differently, mostly related to us, not the boat. Our route was pretty decent. Very similar to Wolfpack and we sailed a relatively short course compared to most. Our routing can't improve further until we improve our Polars. So, there is that. We should have had a Code 0 and a reaching spinnaker (A3). The tiller would be nice, but not realistic for our boat without a lot of modifications. The big factors are us. We need to drive more and be better at driving, especially with the kite at night. Just need a lot more practice. Our boat handling was really good, so I don't think size will ultimately be a factor. Lastly, we need to know the upper limits of our kites and then work to raise them. As it was we only flew the A2 for about 18 hours. Between our conservative sail selection, not driving enough, and a few avoidable fuckups we added a day to our trip.

I have a few more ideas that I will keep to myself. ;)

It would also help tremendously for our boat to have a true windy reach and a true trade wind run. I would say the conditions for 2014 could not have been less favorable for a J/120. Light upwind and heavy downwind with no surfable waves was no bueno.

The dodger was great. No issues and delightfully warmer in the cold and cooler in the hot.

#324 Sarc

Sarc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Forward of the mast.
    Moore 5oh

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Based on your blog it seems like you had a lot of close reaching with the number 2 jib. Do you think a strut that you could mount on the boat to "pole" the jib out to leeward would have been useful?

#325 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

We sheeted to the toe rail for much of that and it worked great.  I think that day we had our best daily run relative to other Tuesday starters.  Second best behind California Condor. 

Once we cracked off a little more it would have been perfect for a Code 0 or A3.  We had a funny old "gennaker" that worked okay for that until we shredded it in a 30 knot flog fest. 

#326 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Great job Roleur on the race/hardware!  Was great to get to know you guys at RYC, KYC, and follow your progress along during race.  Agree there was a lot of reaching.  Was useful to have both a heavy and light air reaching kite on the Soup.  Not a code 0, but helped with some of the angles we wanted to sail.  For fun, grabbed some stuff off the GoPro last week.  

#327 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Great job to you Soupers.  A division win, even after the rating gyrations ain't too shabby.  Not much more you could do with the incredible wind speeds we saw on Day 2 and 3. 

Super fun chatting with you guys before and after the race.  One of the highlights of the whole adventure.  Hope to see you and the Soup up in the PNW next year. 

#328 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,341 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Nice, but you do realize that Bill and Melinda could enter a Cal 20 and still be leading the double handed fleets (yes both fleets) boat for boat. B)

Clearly you know them. LOL - yep as long as the boat doesn't sink or the mast goes over the side those two are very very very hard to beat.

#329 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Roleur - enjoyed very much chatting with you guys in VALIS' cockpit @ KYC.  All in all, y'all did great & I hope our paths cross again soon!

Was disappointed there was no NS.

#330 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hey Valis, whats the homeward bound radio sked?

#331 JSoup

JSoup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

Roleur - also fun to get to know you and Chris better and it was so great you guys won best first passage. We were quite pleased with our routing and the boat. It's been a fun year showing the J/105 has some offshore wheels in the right conditions. Great times altogether. It's been a tough week getting back into reality.

#332 VALIS

VALIS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hi everyone!

Radio sked is (if I remember correctly) 6:00PM HST, 4A (4.146 MHz), moving to 6A or 8A if necessary.  Green Buffalo is net control, at least to start.

I am back on the mainland now -- for the first time I am not on VALIS for the homeward trip.  Rich (race crew) and three others are taking her home for me.

#333 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

Well, she's in very good hands.

#334 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

The Shearwater Pacific Cup 2014 video is up...

#335 JSoup

JSoup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

Great video! Thanks for posting.

#336 GregC

GregC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and motorcycling...that enough?

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

Very enjoyable video, thanks for sharing! Maybe in 2016 we'll be able to do it!

cheers, Greg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: J/120, DoubleHanded, Hawaii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users