#1 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Some of you have been contacted personally, for others this will be very hard to continue reading.

Jan Gougeon fought a long hard battle with a respiratory infection for many years. He succumbed to his illness this morning at University of Michigan Medical Hospital.

A Memorial service is planned for Jan at the Saginaw Bay Yacht Club on Thursday December 27th

#2 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Such a loss, we all owe so much to his visionary thinking. I'll drink a toast at sundown for Jan tonight.

#3 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

CRAP

#4 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this- spoke with him once on the phone about Ollie, but otherwise was just an enormous admirer of both brothers.

Condolences to all who knew him well.

#5 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Noooooooooo! Major bummer. His portfolio is legendary.
I never met the man, but found his creations extrordinary.

#6 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Very Sorry to hear this. Jan was of great help through 3-4 different builds. What a great man as well as a real visionary in this field. He will be sorely missed. I hope he has fair winds and following seas where he has passed on to.

#7 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

What a shame!

#8 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I'm so sorry. Huge loss for his family and the rest of us.

#9 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Legend

#10 eerie sailor

eerie sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Great Great Guy!! He won't be forgotten. Condolences to his family and friends.

#11 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Inspirator creator visionary

Attached Files

#12 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

i'm going to put something up on the front page in a few minutes. if any of you has something to say for jan's memory post it here now and i'll include it.

#13 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

or if anyone has a kind of list of some of the really cool shit jan did over the years. i wish i could remember some of our drunken chats on mackinac

#14 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Very sorry to hear - I met Jan in Bay City on my very first trip to the USA way back in 1979, and Jan was building his tri for the OSTAR at the time as I recall. He will be a great loss.

Ian Farrier
Farrier Marine

#15 cyclone

cyclone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

One of my heroes. Right up there with Colin Chapman and Burt Rutan.
JT

#16 The Big D

The Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

It is a double loss to us. Today we lose a great innovator that found great fun in building crazy machines in unexpected ways to further some very important technologies. And then there is the loss of a great guy that seemed untiring in his quest to help us little guys... Fair winds.

#17 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

One of my heroes. Right up there with Colin Chapman and Burt Rutan.
JT

Yes you are close with those two. A good match as minds that could see beyond the boundaries. Especially when it comes to build it and then 'add lightness'.

#18 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Second the legend!

#19 _Vegas_

_Vegas_

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Kicking Ass and Going Fast

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

In keeping with Jan's wishes , there will not be a somber funeral ...Jan asked that his life is to be celebrated with a party.

December 27th Sagiaw Bay Yacht Club, Bay City, Michigan USA.

Time to follow - however If I were guessing I would say start at noon and end when the last drop runs from the tap

#20 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv

Jan was doing things 30 years ago with multihulls that are just now showing to be timeless solutions, and his brilliance was easy to take thanks to a humble, affable, and unassuming nature. Jan was a friend to Sailing Anarchy, and we’ll never forget what he told us the first time he ran into Clean while partying after one of Jan’s 80,000 Mackinac races: “You guys don’t go far enough!”, he said. To watch Jan describe his final design “Strings” on the SA Innerview – a trailable, self-rescuing cruising catamaran that took 12 years to create – you can click on this link.

#21 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Jan came to Muskegon for several cat regattas and stayed in his mobile home at the beach like a regular guy. Which he was. But so much more. I had long beery discussions with Jan several times as the sun dived into the big lake, and enjoyed his tales of development of the epoxy system from pints given away to needy buddies in milk bottles- all the way to commercial sales. He never bragged about his world iceboat wins, and I had to learn about them from someone else. I think Jan had the most fun yarning me tales like the "unrepairable, fatally damaged" large stained glass window which was falling apart with rot in a poor Ludington church: Jan and his helper fixed it for them with $100 worth of epoxy and his "tricks" in 1971, and it is still in excellent condition today. Jan "The Ingenious" always loved just messing about with boats. I'll really miss him.

#22 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

He and Meade were always heroes of mine. I was glad to finally meet them both in person a couple of years ago and be able to tell them both that I really admired them and their work. They both laughed and were very humble and kind. I'm sorry I never got to see Jan aboard STRINGS, which I'd hoped be able to do this spring.

#23 sabay

sabay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Sorry to hear that, He will be missed by everyone.

#24 stevedallas

stevedallas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:trying not to repeat the same mistakes we made on the race course last week, keeping hydrated

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Time to tip a glass for Jan. "Legend" does not even begin to fit what this very humble man accomplished.

#25 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Max respect to Jan Gougeon - one of a few people who can be said to have really changed the boat building game.

Fair winds Mr Gougeon.

With thanks - a confirmed West System epoxy user.

#26 Serge A. Storms

Serge A. Storms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Met Jan through racing DN iceboats. Every class should have a guy like this- always ready to help out a new sailor and amazingly forthcoming with tips and advice for novice and veteran sailors alike.

A friend of mine hitched a ride with him from the hotel to the launch site one morning and when he got out of the van he said "I just learned more about sailing DN's in fifteen minutes in the car with Jan than I've learned from fifteen years of sailing the damn things!" That sums it up pretty well- I learned a dozen things every time I ever spoke with the man.

And if he wasn't doling out go-fast tips he was telling a great story about any number of adventures in sailing, travel, boatbuilding, you name it- always fascinating and delivered with a wit and enthusiasm that always lit up the room.

Spent a good hour shooting the breeze with him on the ice at the DN North American champs last winter in Green Bay. As always, I learned a lot and went away thinking to myself "Man, that guy is one of the coolest people I've ever met..."

Fair winds and black ice Jan. We can't thank you enough.

#27 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well done, Jan Gougeon.

#28 F-27-382

F-27-382

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fast Sailing, Fast Women, Sailing in other parts of the world. Fast Women from other parts of the world. Fine Liquors from all over the world.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

A true legend! The sailing world and the world as a whole is at a great loss. Fair winds and following seas Jan.

#29 emmylou

emmylou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Marine composites
    all high end racing soft water and hard(ice)

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

legend is an understatement

I have known Jan for many decades , from iceboating A real guy, great attitude and had a unique way of seeing things as most cannot......

He is one of my mentors especially when it came to the DN I, for sure will miss hearing and seeing him on the ice

we all will

jk

#30 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Very sad to hear this. I had always wanted to meet him but never got the chance. A huge loss to composites and the boat building world. Godspeed.

#31 heavym210

heavym210

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

This is a sad day for me and probably anyone who has come to appreciate how West Systems has made fixing boats possible.
With out Jan and Meade there would be far less active old Ice Boats in the Midwest.
Their products have saved many boats from the fire pile, including mine.

I was lucky to catch Jan right before the start of the Mac race when he was sitting on Strings and took time to explain everything. What a cool guy! Jan encouraged me to keep fixing and tweaking my stern steering iceboat, that I will do.

The next day I seen the boat again in the Manitou’s. As we on the Merlin were sailing past a parked Windquest and the Andrews 77 Ocean. We noticed a weird boat behind us moving closer, it was Strings!!
My jaw dropped, imagine the mood on strings coming up to a parked turbo fleet.

Fair Winds and may you find that perfect sheet of black ice that never thaws.

#32 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

My boat is stronger and drier. My life is easier and safer. Thanks, Jan, to you and your brother and all you built.

Fair winds and following seas.

#33 wingnut

wingnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Jan was a great inspiration to me and my brother. He was just as excited to tell us about his latest project "Strings" when we stopped by the boat shop as he was when I was there as a kid watching him build Tornados and Golden Dazy. He was always so helpful, pleasant and fun to be around (especially after races). He will be missed by many.

#34 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is really a sad loss for our community. What an icon and true man in every sense of the word. We all need to take a lesson from how Jan conducted his life and those he came in contact with. Sail on Jan, and fair winds. Words cannont express...

#35 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I had heard stories of the Goudeon's for the last 14 years, but not until I moved to Michigan in 2011 did I meet Jan. He immediately was thinking of ways to help me and get Triceratops out on the race course every Wed. Last year following our Chi-Mac win I was blessed to get a Picture with Jan, Mead, and Randy Smyth. All three are legends, Giants, and absolute gentlemen. I wish I could have spent more time learning from Jan. He will never be forgotten. My deepest condolences to Meade and the entire Goudeon family. Let the party continue!

#36 guerdon

guerdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:silent speed

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I believe the most important lesson Jan taught me was to have fun." Nothing ventured nothing gained" To play at silent speed is a noble calling that he shared with us. I remember a picture I had of him with his put put car,and long talks about my G-32. which is named Grateful. If we could only appreciate our blessing as he did. Share the love. Guerdon.

#37 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

:(

Some of the best built T's around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 LCD

LCD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Met Jan and Meade in the late '70's, when I bought a DN kit from them. Wouldn't let me leave the shop until they showed me everything they were doing. Modeled my own business relations after the way they conducted theirs. Never any secrets and always there to help out and give advice. Learned more about building stuff and sailing stuff from them than anyone else. This is a big loss to the sailing and glueing community.
John Lindahl

#39 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

So sorry to hear this.

#40 us772

us772

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Build and sail fast stuff- Dirtboats iceboats catamarans windsurfers
    Catch waves fish and snowboard
    Perceived truth of most adrenaline junkies - "The older I am the faster I went".

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

iceboat.org has a great tribute to Jan
A link on there has a tribute by DN iceboat champion Ron Sherry.
Sounds like a great guy. What a loss for the sailing world.

#41 Lohring Miller

Lohring Miller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:boating

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

The Gougeon brothers were friends of mine and my wife's family starting with the unexpected birth of my son at the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club multihull race in 1969. They built my late father-in-law's trimaran that he sailed in his retirement. I remember talking with Jan about some experiments he was doing with hydrofoils. He was an impressive person. Boating has lost a major innovator.

Lohring Miller

#42 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Are the Folks at WEST going to continue to race "Strings?"

I hope that boat doesn't end up in storage and disappear from the great lake multi scene. It is a work of art.

#43 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

I hope that boat doesn't end up in storage and disappear from the great lake multi scene. It is a work of art.

Word is Meade will make some continued improvements that the two had talked about and will keep sailing her.

#44 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Word is Meade will make some continued improvements that the two had talked about and will keep sailing her.

Meade mentioned he thought the rig was small for a 40' boat. Jan put a smaller rig on the G32, and in that case it worked very well, but strings has a 40' waterline to power...

#45 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm curious about exactly how that mainsail furling system works on Strings. Obviously it rolls around the boom, but what powers the rotation and holds it in place? And how well does it feed into the mast slot, any special hardware there? Anybody ever try this on a beach cat? Especially for reefing? I'm trying to optimize my sailing time and make beachcat sailing more accessible by managing sail area / setup time better.

Thought about starting a separate thread, but seems cool to honor Jan with a thread in his name. Amazingly creative dude.

#46 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm curious about exactly how that mainsail furling system works on Strings. Obviously it rolls around the boom, but what powers the rotation and holds it in place? And how well does it feed into the mast slot, any special hardware there? Anybody ever try this on a beach cat? Especially for reefing? I'm trying to optimize my sailing time and make beachcat sailing more accessible by managing sail area / setup time better.

Thought about starting a separate thread, but seems cool to honor Jan with a thread in his name. Amazingly creative dude.

Lots of Strings!

#47 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Im not sure about strings set up, but most corsairs and farriers have furling mains that furl on the boom. The furling is controlled with a handle on the front of the mast that connects to the gooseneck through the mast. There is then a second hole in the mast for the pin to lock the boom in place.

#48 cyclone

cyclone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I modified a non-comp tip Hobie 18 mast and boom for roller furling/reefing for my trimaran.
It involved fabricating a spindled gooseneck and a new mast head to reroute the main halyard out of
the luff groove. My halyard runs inside the mast but I doubt you'll want that on a beech cat as the mast will
fill with water when capsized. You may be limited as to whether your traveler location will allow the preferred
boom-end sheeting. You'll also need a topping lift to hold the boom at the correct angle when furling. A hook
permits attaching and detaching the downhaul quickly.
JT

#49 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

check out the G32 video on the WEST website.

#50 guerdon

guerdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:silent speed

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

The first time I saw their rollerfurler I thought it was simple and clever. Now that I have used it for several years I realize its' brilliance. It doesn't need all the expensive bits that jam. Dial a sail. Watch the demo several times, or better yet get a ride on a G32. Reefing is never a big deal any more. So much of these boats is all about thinking through what is the most direct way to go. The best way to get it, it's like a code zero gone around the boom. The end plate keeps the luff rope in line with the mast slot.

#51 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

check out the G32 video on the WEST website.

G-32 Catamaran Promo

That is a very cool boat!! I knew it used water ballast but wasn't aware of all the other innovations. The list of clever features goes on and on. The video downloaded slowly and kept pausing so I put it on mute and let it run in the background; when it was fully downloaded, I scrolled back to the beginning and watched it without any problem. Thanks.

#52 Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I know! After owning a 28' monohull with a fixed keel and a need for a crane and a group of folks to help me with getting it in and out of the water every year I really appreciate the design. No group of folks needed, no crane, no tow vehicle, Hell, I don't even need a slip when it only takes 15 minutes to raise the stick, trailer launch and go.. I can drop the mast to go under bridges, right the boat by myself in minutes by myself if I tip it over... she is easy to sail single handed...and yet she is an extremely technical boat to race. 2 gybing daggerboards, wave piercing bows, water ballast, a drifter headsail, flown off of a canting sprit that is adjusted to leward when used upwind, rotating mast, even pulling the windward rudder is good for some additional boatspeed... I can beach her... she maybe has an 8 inch draft with the boards up and ballast tanks empty. I can motor with over 8 knots of boatspeed with a 5 horse motor.... she is pretty good on gas.

when cruising she can be easy to sail, well behaved, and still is faster than most monohulls under spinnaker with only a main and jib... and did i mention the ride is really dry? Even when I tipped over only my feet got wet up to my ankles...

She is so different looking I can see why people are weirded out... I love Janet Cs, "spaceship one" design ques... actually Janet was made before spaceship one... and oddly enough, spaceship one used WEST EPOXY in it's composite construction!

The design was about 20 to 30 years ahead of it's time. We are just starting to see everyone downsize to smaller, easier to maintain sportboats. The G32 is easier to set up than all of those boats, faster, dryer, more versatile, and in my opinion way more technical and fun to sail. Not to mention with the AC72s flying around the interest in multihulls seems to be growing in the sailing community. I doubt we will see anything like the G32 in production again, and that is a shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users