72 replies to this topic

#1 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Looks like I should have done a little "due diligence" before ordering from this place. I ordered a pair of Wichard fiddle blocks 1/1/13, and still haven't received them. They did charge me for them right away...No replies to repeated emails, and there likely won't be. I just read several horror stories by people who spent way more money than me and were about to file lawsuits. Hopefully the Ed and Clean will take their ad down soon. :angry:

#2 landloc

landloc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

He'll get them to you, but it will take time. My sense is that he only orders them from his distributor after you place the order. And it the distrib is back-ordered, tant pis.

#3 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

BACK CHARGE the card! You will BURN him!!

#4 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Offshore passages, new landfalls

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

You didn't pay with a DEBIT CARD, did you? No backcharging then!

#5 galacticair

galacticair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

KGW - I'm with you on this one. I've been waiting for a SLAM jacket from (un-) Sound Boatworks since June 2012!!! Multiple emails & calls have gotten me nowhere, even though like you I was charged immediately. Initially they said it was not in stock and would be sent "very soon" (like a couple of weeks) once back in stock (consistant with Landloc's experience). Several months later the story changed to "it was drop-shipped directly from SLAM - we need to check what happened" (I never received it). A few months after that they said "SLAM found it in the warehouse, they will send it asap". I'm still waiting - in fact I had in mind to call them this week. I definitely will.

A total joke/scam. Doesn't deserve to be advertising on Sailing Anarchy one bit.

#6 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

KGW - I'm with you on this one. I've been waiting for a SLAM jacket from (un-) Sound Boatworks since June 2012!!! Multiple emails & calls have gotten me nowhere, even though like you I was charged immediately. Initially they said it was not in stock and would be sent "very soon" (like a couple of weeks) once back in stock (consistant with Landloc's experience). Several months later the story changed to "it was drop-shipped directly from SLAM - we need to check what happened" (I never received it). A few months after that they said "SLAM found it in the warehouse, they will send it asap". I'm still waiting - in fact I had in mind to call them this week. I definitely will.

A total joke/scam. Doesn't deserve to be advertising on Sailing Anarchy one bit.

Galacticair, you're probably out of luck for a chargeback. You'll probably learn, when you check, that your credit card issuer has a time limit of six months for a chargeback for non-delivery.

KGW still has time to work things out or use the chargeback. But non-delivery for three weeks may not be as much of a problem as all that. (Laws give 'em 30 days for fulfillment or notice of backordered status.) If they are trying to do business on a "JIT" inventory system that isn't working, they may have poor customer service because they are just plain overwhelmed with customer complaints. And it's a poor idea for a business to put charges through before the goods are shipped, but it ain't illegal.

Additionally, you guys need to be a bit more precise: there's more than one Sound Boatworks. Are you complaining about the one in Ontario? The one in Connecticut? Or might it be the Middle Sound Boat Works in North Carolina that you have in mind? Not being a regular on the mythic Front Page, I have no idea which one has been advertising there, and I can't tell from your posts what business you're complaining about. Presumably that means you're being extremely damaging to two businesses who don't deserve to be scorned and boycotted for the bad acts of the third. That could you get you and SA sued. It's happened before, you know. Or it could get you flicked. I don't think Ed. wants to go through all that again.

Fundamentals of doing business on-line:
  • Purchase with a credit card, not a debit card.
  • If you don't get what you ordered, e-mail the vendor with your tale of woe. Don't call (no paper trail; hard to work out problems with a call center).
  • If you don't get a correction of your problem (either delivery or credit refund) in a reasonable time, call your credit card company. Don't delay! There's a time limit on back charging a credit transaction. If you miss it, kiss your money goodbye. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Chargeback
  • Use chargebacks judicially. Misuse of the chargeback rules can get you onto merchant blacklists. They are probably illegal, but how will you know? They ain't gonna tell you! In fact, the people you can talk to don't get to know why your orders don't go through.
  • While Anarchists need to know about on-line scammers, don't come here to whine and cry when you don't bother to take care of yourself.
  • Be careful who you slime with your complaints. It's not nice to get sued for libel, etc.

#7 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Not making excuses for Sound Boatworks but a LOT of companies that they may be using for drop ship orders were closed from December 21- January 7th and were slow in getting back to their vendors when there was a back order as there were a LOT of pent up messages from the break. You should also definitely check your SPAM filter and make sure any replies were not weeded out by accident.

I know that our company (DryUV) tries to respond in real time and we are available through:

E-MAIL- Julie@dryshirt.com
TEXT: +1 (562) 773-0552
PM on Sailing Anarchy
FaceBook: https://www.facebook...mark.michaelsen
Phone- TOLL FREE for most 888-379-7447 ext 1
International: (562) 773-0552

You are all welcome to use any or all of these methods to reach us with a question, a problem or an order.

Chris at Sound Boatworks will likely get you sorted as fast as possible and with a reasonable explanation.

#8 galacticair

galacticair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Additionally, you guys need to be a bit more precise: there's more than one Sound Boatworks. Are you complaining about the one in Ontario? The one in Connecticut? Or might it be the Middle Sound Boat Works in North Carolina that you have in mind? Not being a regular on the mythic Front Page, I have no idea which one has been advertising there, and I can't tell from your posts what business you're complaining about. Presumably that means you're being extremely damaging to two businesses who don't deserve to be scorned and boycotted for the bad acts of the third. That could you get you and SA sued. It's happened before, you know. Or it could get you flicked. I don't think Ed. wants to go through all that again.

Thanks JumpingJax for the thoughtful comments & added info on chargebacks.

Fair point about being specific about which Sound Boatworks is causing problems - it's Chris Boynton's CT one, which tends to come up top #2 in google searches and regularly advertises on SA front page.

Chris certainly knew this thread was referring to his company, because it didn't take him 12h to PM me. Let's see if he's helpful now, but let me say that IMO good customer service means that you respond to customer issues when they happen, not only when they start affecting your reputation... Until posting on this thread, I'd received at least 4 emails from Chris, spoken to him on the phone multiple times (as well as to his staff), and am still waiting on my order after 6+mo. Of course I could have raised hell earlier, asked for a refund, etc, but I hold small businesses in high regards and prefer to trust that they are doing their best to hold their end of the bargain.

Sound Boatworks has told me at least 5-10 times that my item is only 1-2 weeks away from being delivered, so I dare say my trust in them is nil at this point. Not saying his company is a scam (I'm sure they have delivered a fair amount of good products), just that if your order goes wrong, don't expect them to help you out the way most retailers would. Sounds like others have experienced much the same story, as KGW noted above when starting this thread.

While Anarchists need to know about on-line scammers, don't come here to whine and cry when you don't bother to take care of yourself.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you I have spent more time than I could care for trying to get my Sound Boatworks order sorted out (more than on any other online order I have ever made, and trust me I purchase online a lot, including marine gear). No intent to whine here, just point out some terribly incompetent/careless customer service from a retailer that is regularly advertising top of frontpage on SA.

#9 peterchech

peterchech

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I ordered a Gill Jacket from them back in November to try to get it in time for X-mas. They told me it would ship the next business day. Two weeks later it hadn't shipped yet, and I had gotten no notice at all from them. I calle several times, kept getting the same answer, that it would ship soon. Then they told me it was back ordered. So just weeks before christmas I cancelled the order and went with Mauri Pro, who had the same promotion going on. Mauri shipped the next business day.

IDK how they stay in business with so many complaints...

#10 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

[snip] Not saying his company is a scam

Um .... Sleep-typing, were you?

And if you think e-mailing and calling lots of times is taking care of yourself, you totally miss my point. It's good to try to work things out when there's a problem, but letting it drag on for over six months is ( a ) plain silly, and ( b ) a surrender of your right to charge back with your credit card issuer.

While Sound Boatworks, LLC seems to be an established business, it appears that they are fairly new to doing business on-line. There's a steep learning curve, particularly in the back office operations, and a LOT of people struggle to get a handle on things. That shouldn't be your problem, and they should do a better job at customer service; maybe they need a consultant to help them with the bits they haven't figured out well enough so far. In fact, the capacity for more customer service is one of the things that a lot of people miss when they start on-line. OTOH, it's not at all productive to bring your problem here when you've got much stronger tools to resolve your problem with your bank. It doesn't take too many charge backs to attract focussed attention on the problems.

#11 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

[snip]

How many? Yours makes three here so far. You know of others?

The OP refers to others and planned law suits, but neglected to provide a link or specific facts about these others. Without facts, I'm calling BullShit!

I don't know this business and I've never dealt with them. I just think it's wrong to over-generalize from such a limited number of examples.

#12 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

There was an email from Mr. Boynton in my inbox today. . .He is having the items shipped to me via next-day air, by Wednesday afternoon. I appreciate it! Communication is key: if I had received answers to my email querys, I would not have been so sharp.

#13 Chris Boynton

Chris Boynton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hi All,

This type of thread isn't the best way for me to introduce myself to the SA community, but I'll do my best. We are definitely a small business in every definition, based out of CT, with just three employees, including myself, and are struggling as we grow. We try to make sure every order we receive is processed quickly and the customer has the best experience possible, however there are times when orders can go wrong straight from the start. Being so small, we haven't yet developed the infrastructure needed to best keep track of back orders, customer issues and other times when an experience can be soured, but we are working hard to put that into effect. Knowing how small the sailing market is customer retention is one of the strongest marketing tactics available and I will always do my best to make sure a bad experience can turnaround into a positive one, or give the customer the incentive to try us again in the future so we can prove ourselves to them. As Mark said, I am the owner and accountability ends with me, anytime any customer has an issue with anything in regards to our company, please do contact me first, I've laid out all of our contact info below, and I will absolutely do my best to resolve any issue and make your experience better. We started super small and have fortunately grown very quickly, but we still have a tremendous amount to learn as we grow to ensure the best for our customers, and for those who have experience in this I would love feedback so we can make our company better!!!

At any rate, the main two concerns in this thread I have messaged directly and we hope to have resolved their situations. Please do take a look at our site, give us a try, and I promise we will do our best to make sure you get the best price, best service and overall satisfaction. Sailing is an awesome sport and we want to help it grow and support it by all means. We always have our standing offer to the SA Community, 10% off for every Anarchist just by using coupon code "Anarchy" at checkout. We'd love the opportunity to help you with your sailing needs!!!

E-MAIL- chris@soundboatworksllc.com
PM on Sailing Anarchy
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....ks/112115119284
Phone- TOLL FREE 800-459-3886 x42
International: (860) 740-6202

Live Chat on our site

#14 erdb

erdb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi All,

This type of thread isn't the best way for me to introduce myself to the SA community, but I'll do my best. We are definitely a small business in every definition, based out of CT, with just three employees, including myself, and are struggling as we grow. We try to make sure every order we receive is processed quickly and the customer has the best experience possible, however there are times when orders can go wrong straight from the start. Being so small, we haven't yet developed the infrastructure needed to best keep track of back orders, customer issues and other times when an experience can be soured, but we are working hard to put that into effect. Knowing how small the sailing market is customer retention is one of the strongest marketing tactics available and I will always do my best to make sure a bad experience can turnaround into a positive one, or give the customer the incentive to try us again in the future so we can prove ourselves to them. As Mark said, I am the owner and accountability ends with me, anytime any customer has an issue with anything in regards to our company, please do contact me first, I've laid out all of our contact info below, and I will absolutely do my best to resolve any issue and make your experience better. We started super small and have fortunately grown very quickly, but we still have a tremendous amount to learn as we grow to ensure the best for our customers, and for those who have experience in this I would love feedback so we can make our company better!!!

At any rate, the main two concerns in this thread I have messaged directly and we hope to have resolved their situations. Please do take a look at our site, give us a try, and I promise we will do our best to make sure you get the best price, best service and overall satisfaction. Sailing is an awesome sport and we want to help it grow and support it by all means. We always have our standing offer to the SA Community, 10% off for every Anarchist just by using coupon code "Anarchy" at checkout. We'd love the opportunity to help you with your sailing needs!!!

E-MAIL- chris@soundboatworksllc.com
PM on Sailing Anarchy
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....ks/112115119284
Phone- TOLL FREE 800-459-3886 x42
International: (860) 740-6202

Live Chat on our site

I'm another recent customer with similar problems as above. I guess I was lucky, my order arrived in less than 2 months. One suggestion I'd make is to be honest if something is out of stock and most importantly do not charge the customer's credit card until you ship the items. I would have been a happy customer if you had told me at the time of order that you're out of stock and it would take 2 months to ship and didn't charge my credit card. The price was good and I didn't need the items right away. Instead, every time I called, someone told me that it's either going to ship in a few days or that it's already shipped just can't find tracking number - which was obviously a lie. Then, I received half the stuff I ordered, but the shipping slip included the missing items as well. You only fulfilled the order when I told you I'd call my credit card company to get my money back.

#15 Bastard

Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Finding out who my real daddy is... I'm starting to think it isn't really Wilt Chamberlain like my mom said...More importantly big breeze, warm waves, blast reaching and titties

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'll add my name to the list of complaints if anyone is still counting... Same sceneraio, placed and paid for a simple order a couple of spray tops. Told they would ship the next day. After a few weeks I called to inquire and was given the run around: let me look into it give me your number we'll call you right back etc.. Never a call back. Finally when I did corner someone on the phone that was willing to listen I was told one of the two was back ordered (now it sounds like that was a BS answer too). But it would ship right away.
To that I say if there was an issue with an order or supply, as a customer I'd rather hear the truth and figure out a next move than have smoke blown up my ass and keep hoping and waiting based on lies. At least I could have made alternate arrangements but when they appologized and said it will ship 'overnight' tomorrow at no charge and we are sorry for the inconvienience I believed them. Needless to say it showed up several weeks later and they had the balls to put one of their stickers in with the packing slip. In addition when I worked at one of the largest chandleries in San Diego several years ago it was SOP to call the customer, explain the situation and if need be ship the partial order and send the back ordered item at no charge when we got it...
Me being the fool that I am several weeks later figuring this was just an isolated incident so I made another order with them, some Gill shorts and a lifejacket. Same result no calls from them, eventually talked to someone, everything was back ordered blah blah blah. Burned twice. Cancelled, refunded done with them forever. And yes it was the SoundBoatworks in CT. And I'm pretty sure when I asked to speak with someone in charge to voice my concerns I believe it was a Chris that told me things would ship overnight and we're sorry etc. INTEGRITY

#16 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

I don't buy the argument that it's too difficult to track. Even if you can't afford to, or know how to develop a spreadsheet, or use "Simply Accounting", a simple, cheap, pre-numbered, multipart form can be used to track orders received ----> goes to stock room/purchasing agent and forwarded to shippng when order filled; part two goes to book keeping to track and book receivables/paid items; part three goes to shipping----> filed in pending shipments until matched with stock room filled orders; part is 4 filed by day and can be searched for any order, given the date of the purchase transaction, and if you did want to focus on a customer and their service, a 5th part could be filed by customer name, and chronologically within that.

I forget, they have online orders and are somewhat semi automated already.
I doubt that this business can be so busy not to be able to take an hour to do some filing every day.... e.g. do it in the lunch hour ..I'm sure you have time for that.
Perhaps spend less time on Facebook and more time on order processing.

This is not rocket surgery or brain science. If the businbess can't even be bothered to do those little things, it won't be around long.
Another tip.... why not add your website URL and online store URL to your signature instead of Facebook?

#17 peterchech

peterchech

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

[snip]

How many? Yours makes three here so far. You know of others?

The OP refers to others and planned law suits, but neglected to provide a link or specific facts about these others. Without facts, I'm calling BullShit!

I don't know this business and I've never dealt with them. I just think it's wrong to over-generalize from such a limited number of examples.

A similar thread was started on sailnet I think.

Smoke = fire

Glad to see Chris boynton respond here though

#18 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

I've bought safety gear and also winch covers from Sound Boatworks on several occasions and have never had a problem.

#19 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ditto. I order from these guys cause they are local.Most of their stuff is drop shipped and takes WEEKS to get. Their shop is 20 minutes from my house...
I want to support the locals that support sailing, but damn Chris, you make it hard to stay loyal...

Jim O

#20 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Add me to the list of customers with the same problem.

Ordered $700 worth of equipment in the day after Thanksgiving sale, received 2 items a month later and am still waiting on over $500 worth of the equipment. The whole $700 was charged to my credit card back in November. Each time I call, I'm told that the equipment is in the warehouse being boxed to ship that day or has shipped and they just can't find the tracking number. A few days ago when I emailed that I was going to need to dispute the charge on my credit card, Chris told me that he had already given me a "provisional credit" on the card so I didn't need to do that. But also, that he'd find the tracking number that day and call me back with it. Of course, it's two days later and I still have no tracking number and I just logged onto my credit card activitiy detail and saw that there's been no credit, either.

So my boat is still sitting without the needed equipment until I either receive it or get the credit back on my card so I can get it elsewhere.

I'm a business owner and understand that mistakes and delays happen. It is not so understandable when a customer is lied to, which is what appears to be happening here.

#21 kgw

kgw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

My blocks were delivered yesterday afternoon, as Mr. Boynton promised in his recent communication. Thank you very much.

#22 jollw

jollw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've had a similar experience to several people in this thread. I ordered two items on cyber monday that took until Dec 26th for one to show up and I cancelled the order on the other in the beginning of Jan.

The worst part of the experience was without a doubt SB's customer service. I believe that everyone messes up and it is not the initial mistake, but how you correct it that matters in the end. SB fell massively short time and time again. Communication may not be Chris' strength but there is no excuse for not returning several emails, phone calls and voicemails. I doubt that he will even have a business if he continues to treat his customers this way.

#23 JumpingJax

JumpingJax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

An open letter for Mr. Boynton:

More incidents are coming out. They reflect problems in order fulfillment and in customer service that can - surprisingly quickly - destroy your on-line business and even drag down your family's brick and mortar business if you don't improve things substantially.

You are in direct competition with larger and better capitalized businesses. West and Defender and others operate very differently from the picture everyone here is getting of your business. A hard look at how they do business could be a useful exercise for you:
  • They do not charge credit/debit cards until they ship. That alone gives them shelter from most charges of "fraud" and "scam." And it shelters them from the most common source of credit card charge-backs. (Too many charge-backs can get a business into trouble with the merchant banker and with the credit card companies. And those guys can put one out of business.) You should adopt the same policy. Right away! If you don't know how to make that work, call your merchant banker for assistance.
  • They answer every phone call and every e-mail. Right away. If you're only three people, as I think you said in your post, you probably can't match that standard, but you can take some steps that will help your reputation a lot. Set up your e-mail to send an automatic acknowledgement reply to every e-mail received. Include in the reply an estimate - sensibly accurate- of your expected time to respond. And then respond as estimated or soon thereafter. Every time! If incoming phone calls go to a voice mail system, follow-up on every call in the same time frame as the e-mail responses or sooner until you can set up a call center to handle phone orders and issues.
  • They tell their customers the truth. Every time. (Usually.) If you're relying on drop shipping from a manufacturer or distributor, put it in your catalog on-line and disclose it clearly for phone orders. When an item is back-ordered, let the customer know - right away. If the manufacturer dropped the product and didn't let you know, the sooner you consult with your cusomer, the better your chance of getting the order for a substitute product. You'll lose some orders to other vendors, some customers will wait for back-ordered products. Almost none will be angry with you. It ain't personal, it's just business.
  • They sell primarily from inventory. The use drop-shipments for large, heavy items to avoid excessive shipping charges. They use drop-shipments for very low volume products that have too heavy inventory carrying costs. You should begin to do the same, building an inventory for most of your product line. Selling from inventory is the only way for a business to have control of order fulfillment. When you drop ship, you are delegating control of your order fulfillment to your suppliers. You should not aspire to be "dependent on the kindness of strangers."
  • They aren't perfect; they screw up too. But when they do, they go to significant lengths to fix the problem for their customer (and for their future operations) and often do something extra to placate the customer. And that's an important step for them to keep the customer relationship. You'd better get started, 'cause you seem to have a lot of screw-ups to fix.
  • They value customer complaints and give them a high level of focused attention. Those complaints are recognized as the best source of input on the areas of their business that need to be improved. And they recognise that improvement is a continuous process for every successful business. When that process reveals a problem, they act on it to improve the business. Right away. And they let the customer know they've fixed the problem or that they are working on it or whatever is true. You should do the same.
Whether there are three of you or thirty, it's time to sit eveyone down and have a "come to Jesus" meeting. If you don't repair your reputation, by fixing your business and taking better care of your customers (and those who once wanted to be your customers), you won't survive in business. The internet makes your reputation a matter of discussion on SA and reported on other forums; that airs your "dirty laundry" before an audience of thousands. And they talk to thousands more who don't hang out on sailing forums. Your reputation has "gone viral" in the sailing community and you're going to have quite an effort ahead to repair that.

Sure, some posters, here and elsewhere, go a bit overboard. Some of the complaints may be unreasonable in your view. On the other hand, there's too much here to ignore: you do have problems. And, more to the point, you face the perception of problems in the community. Reputation is perception.

If you can't fix all these issues on your own, you need to reach out for help with them. If they aren't fixed, survival of your business is at risk.

#24 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Still no refund of the $500+ for the items charged to my credit card in November and never shipped. No return email with the promised tracking number, either.

#25 galacticair

galacticair

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I finally got my SLAM jacket delivered Friday (6 months late), so like KGW, posting on this forum helped me receive my item in short order.

Within 24h of posting on SA, I had a series of PMs from Chris, with an apology, a promise to deliver by Friday, and a store credit.
+1 for Chris & Sound Boatworks - that is how it should be done.

That being said, good customer service addresses issues before they end up online. Sound Boatworks still has tons to do to improve its service - like the posters above, I was given the run-around in my many previous email/phone interactions, with call-back and delivery promises that never once were kept. In the end, the drop-shipping model requires the retailer to tightly monitor fulfillment by 3rd parties (SLAM in my case): Sound Boatworks let my order fall through the cracks and did a horrendous job trying to make it right, until I joined in the chorus of criticism here...

Sound Boatworks has one thing going for it: attractive prices. That's why I bought from them. But will I buy again? I doubt it, until I sense they have improved things such that I don't have to follow-up for months to receive my next order...

JumpingJax's advice above is very well given. All his points would help Sound Boatworks avoid these issues. In particular, I'd add to his point about the perception of problems: when one party perceives a problem, somewhere you can bet the other party set expectations which he could not fulfill. If you want to correct perception problems, first think hard about the expectations you are setting...

Sound Boatworks has two priorities to address the issues in this thread:
- One is to quickly & measurably improve what can easily be improved (e.g. returning phone calls when you say you will call back, improving the order tracking system so no order is forgotten, billing only if the order is available for shipping, etc.)
- The other is to set appropriate expectations for every order (e.g. clarifying which items are back-ordered & how long these might take to ship)

Following Jumping Jax's advice would do a lot to address both these priorities.

#26 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Glad to hear some of the others who had issues received their product. Sound Boatworks still hasn't issued me a refund or shipped the things I ordered. No PM through SA either. I'll keep updating every week or so until I get my refund or product. Hopefully other sailors will see the thread and understand the ongoing customer service issues so they can avoid having this happen to them.

#27 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Still stuck in the customer service black hole getting the run around.

1/29 - Chris PMd me on SA to ask for additional info and assure me he can get the issue resolved.
1/29 - I respond with the additional info and ask again for him to simply refund the $516 he charged to my credit card back in November.
1/31 - Chris PMs that he's sending me an email "to the email on file under your order name"
1/31 - I PM him my email address to make sure he has it, since I didn't receive any email from Chris or SB
1/31 - Several hours later, I send another PM with my email address, since I didn't receive any email from Chris or SB
1/31 - Chris PMs me that he sent the email to me and will double check in the morning to make sure he sent it to the correct address.
2/1 - Still no email, contact from Chris/SB and no refund on my card. I send yet another PM saying that I don't need an email, just the refund on my credit card.

Silence.

#28 stinger

stinger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'm having issues with Sound Boatworks as well. I purchased a bailer over 2 months ago now. I keep emailing them and they keep replying that they will ship it shortly. This is a real issue. Not cool. I'm calling Monday to cancel my order. It's a real shame.
J

#29 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have a similar tale of woe re most of a boat of Harken fittings. Prices look real good here in NZ but months went by and my credit card was charged on day 1.

I tried Mauri Pro after that - what a contrast. I bought some end of line wet weather gear - they charged my card - realised they didn't have any and then sent me a better, fully priced item at no extra charge. A few months later they sent me a spinlock cleat in error - I had the new one priority shipping in a few days and they didn't want the first one back. These feet have voted!

Rob

#30 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Although SB emailed me a statement that thanked me for my business and said my account has been refunded, as of noon on 2/6, no refund has yet been made on my actual credit card nor have I received any other form of refund.

#31 bodysurf

bodysurf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Just saw this thread. For what its worth, I ordered a couple of close out items in December and they shipped promptly. Sorry to see all the bummers.

#32 milee30

milee30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I just received the refund of $515 posted to my credit card account, so as far as I'm concerned, my issues have been settled.

#33 gdhagger

gdhagger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Oh bloody hell.

Only joined SA around June/July, and never saw this thread first time around.  Currently in the beginning stages of being burned by Sound Boatworks CT it seems.

Ordered a Gill drysuit from them in the post-Thanksgiving sale, via Amazon.  Checked their reviews at the time and while there were a couple of hickups, mostly it seemed all good.

Drysuit was supposed to have arrived a week ago now.  Of course there's no tracking information.  Checking reviews on Amazon now, and across Google/Yelp etc, HUGE slide in their ratings over the last few weeks.  Lots of people waiting weeks/months for their orders. Looks like things have reverted to the scenarios people were describing before.

ie. I've emailed a few times asking for tracking information, or IF my order had even shipped, and based on the latest reply, no it hadn't, but they were going to expedite it at cost to themselves and get me tracking details by the end of day.

End of day passed, no tracking details.

I'm not going to call Chris, I want the email trail so that when I'm tired of this after waiting a month I feel happy I've covered my bases when I have to get them to either kill the order, or have AmEx do it for me.

TL;DR - In summary, SB is doing a crappy job again, continue to avoid if you want anything in a timely fashion.

#34 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

I also have had a pretty bad experience with this most recent sale.

I ordered a bunch of tiny things and 2 Lewmar clutches for my mast.

I got an email 3 days after the purchase saying "Sorry, we can't get those clutches for a couple of months.  What do you want to do?".  I immediately replied with two alternatives.  A week went by with no reply.  I finally emailed the main account on their page (not the person who emailed me) and got a response but was told that my two alternatives were now sold out too.

So on communication they get a C. 

The site needs to make it clear what they have in stock and what is being ordered on demand. 

#35 ryandoesnotsail

ryandoesnotsail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ordered a gill storm hood from them on cyber monday, about a week went by with no update.

Called them and they said they would ship it out mid next week. Another week went by and called them at the end of that week, and again they said it would be sent out mid next week. I explained how I was told that last week and how I would be leaving for sea term soon. Shipped out yesterday and should be at my door Thursday.

Just seems like poor logistics over there, not horrible, just poor.

#36 crholliday

crholliday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

I had a similar experience:

October 29: Ordered a few blocks and some line

November 4: Send email that I have not received any info on the order

November 4 (afternoon): Call the customer service number and am told by Chris that the order has been shipped and he will make sure tracking info gets sent out that afternoon and he will follow up with call tomorrow morning

November 5 (afternoon): No tracking, no call. I send an email of this surprising news

November 6: Day 8, I send email to cancel my order and refund my payment. I order from another vendor

November 8: I get an email from Chris stating he has refunded my order and asks if I will still accept the order since he thinks it already shipped. I reply "No".

November 12: I receive tracking info that the order has shipped.

November 12: No refund from Paypal. I email nastygram with a recap of the situation. 

November 12 (late evening): Another email of apology but I did finally get refunded. I also received notification that the shipment was turned around. 

I agree with others that the guy is just over his head and can't sort out how to manage his business. But I don't thinks its good policy to have real customers act like test customers. 

C.

#37 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm still waiting for them to ack my cancellation and refund my order.  In the meantime Mauri Pro Sailing shipped me the clutches that I wanted at a better price and with great service.

#38 capnflip

capnflip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I had the same problem with this clown. I tried to cancel the order after waiting for 6 weeks. He wouldn't do it. I finally got my stuff then 6 months later he tried to bill me again for the same order. I will never do business with him again.

#39 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Still a SBW customer...

Right before an ECSA circut race (can't remember which one), had a bit of a mishap during some epic sailing adventure-  it was blowing pretty fn good. Hoisted the headsail after rounding a mark only to discover that the feed thingy on the Harken MKIII had worked itself free and took a dive overboard...

Well Fuk me! I'm bringing the boat up to NLondon on Thursday. Can't effectively race without being able to hoist the damn headsail. I checked out SBW website and they carried Harken roller furling parts- I called to check it out and the CSR took my info and called their distributor. Within 15 minutes she called back and suggested I call their distributor to make sure I get the right feeder. I talked to this guy, gave him the info I had and he said they have them and will drop ship it that day. Coming from Long Island, it was in my hands the next day! Bad news is that I gave this guy the wrong info and got the wrong size... Panicked, I call him back but I think he was on his way to the Newport boat show. I was given another contact in Annapolis which I immediately called, they had the right one and sent it out overnight. I re-installed the fitting on the transport, all was right...

A couple of months later, I remembered I still had the fitting that i ordered incorrectly, was headed up to our sail maker in Westbrook and decided to see if I could get a refund or at least store credit for the return. Chris was there and he promptly refunded me the cost of the widget.

He's a stand up guy, I have to believe that his operation is often at the mercy of the places he orders from. I won't go too far into it but he supports local sailing, donates shit to us so we can raise funds for our "Round the Buoys" Wednesday night activities.

I'll continue to support SBW- 

#40 Rex II

Rex II

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Kites,Canters,being on plane and the open ocean

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

actually got a bit worried when the spray top and life jacket I ordered during Black Friday week still had not arrived here this past Monday the 23rd (one full month later and yes these were xmas gifts ) but lo and behold both showed late that day...not sure it was SBW or the UPS/Fedex clusterfuck but regardless the kid did end up opening actual gifts so it did all work out.

#41 boatsmith

boatsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I got my stuff,,,,, but what a hassle,, had to stay on them like white on rice,,,fed me lame excuse after lame excuse,, very poor at returning calls,,, why would I buy from them again???????????

#42 jimx

jimx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Ordered on the phone, shipped a few days later, got it a few days after that.  No problems no hassle from Sound.

APS on the other hand told me it was out of stock, canceled the order, then went ahead and charged me and shipped it anyways.

So now I have two.

#43 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

My stuff arrived.

I called them to cancel the clutches that they couldn't get.  They were nice enough on the phone and had already removed the clutches from my order and given me a partial refund.  They just weren't very good at communicating this, despite many emails from me asking them the state of my order.

If they were local I'd probably shop there.  For an online outfit I didn't find them very easy to work with.

#44 DEAD MONEY

DEAD MONEY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

I have had Great Luck with Sound Boatworks. I got the Very Best Deal on a pair of High Waisted Gill Scallopetts last year They were Last Years Model (like I care) and usually are $350 but they were on Sale for $125. I even got them Embrided. They got them Done right and mailed to me in a timely fashion.
I ordered a Musto Smock, Great price and mailed to me. I have ordered dozens of things from them. From Crew Swag Shirts, vests to lines for a Sunfish. They always have mailed all my stuff on Time.

#45 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Wish I had read this thread before I ordered from them- been a month- no order yet, no explanations, nada.

#46 Future MOB

Future MOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

I'm really frustrated with them as well. Ordered sallopettes on sale and they were delivered quickly. Unfortunately they were too big. I called them up and asked about an exchange. The person helping me suggested I order the right size and ship the old ones back for a refund. This was suggested because she was worried they would be out of stock by the time the exchange was processed. No problem, I ordered the right size, and they showed up in no time. I sent the old set back, and they promptly sent an email with a credit memo and a note that the refund to my card could take 7 to 14 days.

That was in September.

I have called and emailed every week or two since. Each time I get the "manager will call you back", "we found the problem, you should see the credit in a couple days", "we have sent this on to our accounting, it will be resolved soon" bullshit.

I'm not sure what my options are. I had hoped to resolve it without bad-mouthing anyone on the internet or threatening other actions, but they don't seem interested in making it right. I like supporting smaller businesses, and the original service and product were great, but the problem with the return is really frustrating.

#47 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

I'm really frustrated with them as well. Ordered sallopettes on sale and they were delivered quickly. Unfortunately they were too big. I called them up and asked about an exchange. The person helping me suggested I order the right size and ship the old ones back for a refund. This was suggested because she was worried they would be out of stock by the time the exchange was processed. No problem, I ordered the right size, and they showed up in no time. I sent the old set back, and they promptly sent an email with a credit memo and a note that the refund to my card could take 7 to 14 days.

That was in September.

I have called and emailed every week or two since. Each time I get the "manager will call you back", "we found the problem, you should see the credit in a couple days", "we have sent this on to our accounting, it will be resolved soon" bullshit.

I'm not sure what my options are. I had hoped to resolve it without bad-mouthing anyone on the internet or threatening other actions, but they don't seem interested in making it right. I like supporting smaller businesses, and the original service and product were great, but the problem with the return is really frustrating.

You need to dispute the charge on your credit card bill.

#48 Chuteman

Chuteman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

To ALL:

RUN - no, use an AC72 to Foil your way far away from Sound Boatworks & Chris Boynton.

That is unless you like endless delays, broken promises,, excuses out the ying-yang, deception and dishonesty.

Just think of the opposite of your favorite company = SB

His weak defense makes it sound like SB is a victim of success and that the problems are recent exceptions = another lie.

A few peaks at documented bad service that goes back several years

Connecticut Better Business Bureau Rating = "F"..........the worst score - 33 complaints

Google - 17 Reviews - 10 Negative (one star) 

Yelp - 29 Reviews - 26 negative (one star) - add both links together

or disregard all the warnings & join the "party"

#49 shamanstar

shamanstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Found this thread because I just google searched discussions about Sound Boatworks.  I just had a bad experience with them and was wondering if there was any other info online about them.  I ordered a PFD from them and applied a coupon code.  I was contacted through email the next day saying that the coupon code couldn't be used on the item because it was already on sale.  They wanted to know if I still wanted the PFD and told me what I would have to pay for it.  The site allowed the code to go through and there was no disclaimer on the code about it being for only full price items.  I replied to the email and said that I was not going to do business with them after all.  I do A LOT of shopping online and have never experienced anything like that.  I politely informed them that most companies would acknowledge that the error was theirs and give me the price that I paid for it and then make sure to change their site so that the code wouldn't work on sale items.  We are not talking about a lot of money- I think it was $10.  I asked that they cancel the order and refund the money.  I received no response. The next day I emailed asking if the refund had been issued.  No response.  I finally saw that the payment had been cancelled so I am glad that my business with them is now over, especially after reading some of these stories.  It seems like these people have absolutely no concept of customer service.  I can't believe that they have such a bad reputation and are still in business.  Shame on me for placing an order with them.

#50 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

Anyone who charges the account before item is shipped is a shit bag. Period.

#51 Alcatraz5768

Alcatraz5768

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

I may be wrong but this sounds like a bad cash flow situation.
They charge the card straight away as they are in the shit and need the money and probably place the order straight away too but it doesn't get shipped because they are on stop credit with their supplier. They then make excuses to the customers as they don't have the money to refund them, all the while bullshitting their suppliers about when they will pay them in order to get their credit hold lifted and stock sent out. The poor old owner of the business is meanwhile getting more and more depressed as he is trying to do good by all these customers and attempting to keep the house of cards standing.
The reason for this comes down to 1thing. Spending more than you earn. Can be fixed by charging more for the products, cutting overheads or reducing the amount of drawings each week in order to get the balance right again.
Keeping on going as they are will just mean the hole is bigger at the end and filled with more misery.
I may be wrong and I hope I am as this situation sucks arse and I hope they can get out of it if it is the case.

Just an idea, I have no reason to believe it is the case.

#52 TheOffice

TheOffice

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Last I knew, the Federal Trade Commission had a rule prohibiting them from charging the card before they ship.

#53 MarcHall

MarcHall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba diving

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Just cancelled an order I have made on 1/20/14 and had yet to receive or receive any notification on. 

webbing and some Amsteel.

Marc

#54 WideandTight

WideandTight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Anyone who charges the account before item is shipped is a shit bag. Period.

Most Marine vendors do it is not in stock. Mauri Pro is the King of Drop shipping. Do you think they actually carry all kite, sup, sailing products. NO FREAKING WAY

#55 Fins-up!

Fins-up!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

If you do not care for vendors who charge your card without having merchandise available for immediate shipping, do not buy anything from Mauri Pro Sailing -- you will not be pleased.

#56 Blitzen

Blitzen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Just so you all know...........I placed an order with Sound Boatworks for a sale item I found through Google on Saturday 3/29.   It arrived today (3/31).

#57 Zac

Zac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Wow, I as well wish I would have found this thread before placing an order.  

I paid via paypal and 3 weeks later got back home from travel and didn't have anything.  I also noticed I didn't have a confirmation email.  So after emailing them asking what the status is I got an order confirmation saying it would ship within 24 hours.   I am glad they obviously did something but I was surprised nothing personal was said in response to the email such as why there was a delay or an apology.  It appears the order was just lost until I followed up.

The jury is still out on my order but I guess this thread at least tells me that after another week I should just dispute the charge and be done with it.

Definitely something Ed should consider in regards to front page advertisers (not my situation specifically but the overall theme of this thread)

#58 Knothead

Knothead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have gotten so comfortable with buying stuff online that I didn't bother to check whether or not Sound Boatworks llc was a reputable company. Sadly, they are not. I have yet another negative story about them. I didn't think I had to resort to searching the SA threads to see if one of their advertisers was legit. The bad reviews are not just on SA, they are everywhere on the internet! How does this company stay in business? I placed an order and got a order confirmation. Done deal, right? Nope. A couple of days later I got an email telling me that they could not honor the prices on my order and they would now need to charge me additional. Who does business this way? Believe the reviews and don't waste your time.

#59 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:06 AM

Are people still sending those clowns money? Sheesh. My ripoff story was like 3 years ago.

#60 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

It doesn't help that this site tacitly blesses SBW's business practices by having them as a prominent advertiser. 

#61 DFL1010

DFL1010

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

It doesn't help that this site tacitly blesses SBW's business practices by having them as a prominent advertiser. 

Well yes perhaps, but is it a company's responsibility to vet all of its advertisers? Could I be annoyed with a telly company for airing an ad during a commercial break that is for a company of dubious merit?

Also where would you draw the line? One complaint? Five? Ten? What about a company that charges a little more but has excellent customer service? At what point does that change from a little more to overcharging? Or a company whose CEO is a wrong'un? Or they've been using dubious loopholes to minimise their tax bill?

Indeed, one could argue that this site, in providing a forum in which consumers can discuss the performance of companies, be they advertisers or not, is 'better' than one that does not. I know of quite a few sponsored forums in which anything but glowing praise for the sponsor's company and business practices are swiftly deleted.

#62 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'd say that once a thread dedicated to complaints about an advertiser passes its first birthday with new complaints about the same old issue still coming in, it's time to have an awkward conversation with your advertiser.

#63 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

"Well yes perhaps, but is it a company's responsibility to vet all of its advertisers?"

Uh, yes.

#64 DFL1010

DFL1010

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

And where would you have the cut off? How bad is too bad?

#65 ease hike trim

ease hike trim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Somewhere between post 1 and post 64 would be a good start.

You aren't serious, are you?

#66 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:33 AM

One of the problems here is that Sound Boatworks is the sponsor of Cruising Anarchy, and if they go, then CA will evaporate. Can we get a better sponsor for CA, like the KKK?

#67 Knothead

Knothead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Who is talking about removing them as a sponsor? Not me. Can't remove all of the shitty sponsors. Freedom of speech, here and there.

I think they're trying to make up for their poor customer service with some hot chick ads.

sound-ad-4-23.jpg

#68 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

One of the problems here is that Sound Boatworks is the sponsor of Cruising Anarchy, and if they go, then CA will evaporate. Can we get a better sponsor for CA, like the KKK?

I'd sponsor it depending on the price. I almost had it at the beginning of the year but waited too long and it was already taken. Where else would I be able to bum boat rides from people across the continent?

#69 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Who is talking about removing them as a sponsor? Not me. Can't remove all of the shitty sponsors. Freedom of speech, here and there.

I think they're trying to make up for their poor customer service with some hot chick ads.

sound-ad-4-23.jpg

They have the best ad on this site.

#70 MarkSF

MarkSF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I ordered a whisker pole from them, never got it, ended up with a refund.

Here's the BBB report on them :

http://www.bbb.org/c...ook-ct-87010336

It's not good. F, on a scale from A to F.

And just to prove that you can be a large online supplier of marine goods AND have happy custumers, here is Defender's :

http://www.bbb.org/c...ord-ct-85000185

#71 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hot chick ads are always nice but anyone who sends those clowns money at this point is jus a sucker.

#72 Deed

Deed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

I truly wish I had seen this thread before giving Sound Boatworks any money.

I am in the middle of a horrible customer experience with these guys.  I have spent >4 months so far, trying to get my money back for goods never sent to me.  Still going on, many repeated false promises by Chris Boynton to me directly. 

Should this thread be moved to Sailing Anarchy where it will be seen by the audience at large?  I wonder if we find more input on their business approach. 

#73 willsailforfood

willsailforfood

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:PHRF? NOT!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

Bigger question is, why is "Cruising Anarchy" still, "Brought to you by our friends at Sound Boatworks?"

You'd think they would pull the ads and forum sponsorship and send them a check and a 'no thank you' letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users