11 replies to this topic

#1 Adventurelad

Adventurelad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi all-
My wife and I are headed to Hawaii in late July and spending a few days in Kailua. Looks like a great place to take a Hobie or some other beach cat out for a day, but couldn't find any rental places online. Any locals have any inside scoop on such activities? Lots of kitesurfing and windsurfing, but nothing suitable for two people...

Thanks!

Adventurelad

#2 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

The area is perfect for sailing a catamaran but the liability is simply too high given the rapidly changing conditions and reefs. There used to be hobie 14 and 16 rentals in Waikiki but even those may be gone now due to liability insurance costs.

#3 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

None on the Waikiki side or Kailua. However, if you have any association with the military, you can rent a beach cat through the water recreation facility at Marine Corp Base Kaneohoe or at Hickam A.F. base.

#4 liquid courage

liquid courage

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Went to Maui for years with PFD and gloves in hand..NO ONE had a Hobie or anything to rent. Just a hotel plastic paddle thingy.
What a waste of the Trades :(

#5 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

As you might imagine, this does get asked pretty frequently - yes, back in the '80s you could rent Hobie 16s & such at several locations in the islands including Waikiki, Kailua, Kaanapali and Nawiliwili, but I don't think anyone does that anymore - could you imagine the carnage involved in giving today's 'General Public' the keys to even a Getaway ? Hardly the road to profit, but then again you CAN rent a Jet-Ski easily enough, - so it's a numbers thing ?

I dunno.

Get in touch when you are getting ready to go and I'll see if I can't find you someway to get on the water if you don't find a better ride

#6 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I spent summers of my youth in Lanikai just up the beach. Put a post on Craigs list - there are many who will do a private rental. There is a boat ramp for easy launching. I bet you could get a great deal if you rent for two days or more days. Sailing around and beyond Flat island is a blast. Be advised - Surf and waves can catch you though once outside the outer break.

Rentals of SUPs and kayaks are easy to be had right there. Talk to the beach boys who run the rentals directly - you will have a boat in short order.

Another thing - a few rentals do have boats and boards that come with them. Have fun.

#7 Adventurelad

Adventurelad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks all, at least I wasn't just missing something obvious!

Great Red Shark...thanks for the offer! Are you in Honolulu as your tag suggests? Any connections on the windward side? Current plan is to avoid Honolulu and Waikiki as much as possible (no offense intended...).

Black Jack...good tip, I'll give it a try.

Adventurelad

#8 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Well, I live on the WW coast, but work downtown and keep some of my vast and impressive fleet on the South side of Oahu.

No offense to me when people realize that Honolulu (and much of Oahu) is an urban environment ( a tropical one, but a city nonetheless). There are about a million people aboard 'The Gathering Place', so yeah, it's not quite the idyllic scene some envision. Still plenty of magic left in the Hawaiian Islands, just not so much on Kalakaua Ave.

I enjoyed Kailua for years and it's a great bay, but access and resistance to the increasing commercialization of rental operations has met with some pushback of late ( busloads of visitiors and kayak excursions by the drove, mostly).

I belonged to a sailing club on Kaneohe bay where we kept 50+ beach cats and I don't know a one of them that would rent out their boat, but your experience might be different, go for it.

#9 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I tried sailing with the Kaneohe multihull fleet too, Twice in the last 10 years: There was no response, nobody answered or returned the phone messages.

Fortunately I had been out sailing a Hobie 16 for 4 wonderful afternoons off Lanikai beach with Dean Froome on his boat- for a total cost of $100. Dean had just won the World Championships. They were 4 beautiful sublime days--- in 1976.

Times have changed. Now there are $%^*&^% lawyer$ everwhere.

#10 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

On Maui there is the West Maui Sailing School

#11 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I tried sailing with the Kaneohe multihull fleet too, Twice in the last 10 years: There was no response, nobody answered or returned the phone messages.

Fortunately I had been out sailing a Hobie 16 for 4 wonderful afternoons off Lanikai beach with Dean Froome on his boat- for a total cost of $100. Dean had just won the World Championships. They were 4 beautiful sublime days--- in 1976.

Times have changed. Now there are $%^*&^% lawyer$ everwhere.

Not entirely sure what the "Kaneohe multihull fleet" would be; KYC doesn't have a multihull class, and Kokokahi Sailing Club (beach cat parking club I mentioned above) doesn't have a phone number, or much other infrastructure beyond 2 picnic tables and a box trailer of gear - it's just a place guys store boats and launch out of that has a handful of "organized" (and I use that term loosely) events, and I don't know if the HHCA ( Hawaii Hobie Cat Assn ) is still active anymore- the fleet pretty much fizzled as far as I know.

Now, if you went Cattin' with Dean Doom, then you are worthy of the Order of the Bent Hiking Stick - Deano is quailty people, I too have had the great fortune to enjoy some great racing with and against him. Man, I crewed for him one year up at the Haleiwa regatta when the Miracle 20s were brand new and we sailed our tails off to win by inches in heavy air while 2/3s of the fleet folded up due to one gear failure or another. I'll never forget sucking down half a warm beer between races while literally trying to catch my breath and thinking " How can you be soaked, thirsty, sunburned, wind-chilled, exhausted and pumped all at the same time ? " - and that, my friends is what beach cat sailing is all about. Or maybe the party at Jameson's afterwards. One of the two...

#12 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Spent a couple of the lost years of my youth sailing with Dean (Maneeno!), JD, Furu, Schatzy, P-Paul, Da Herb (Andresen), Dave Lung et al around Kailua, Lanikai in the 80's...overnight campouts on The Mokuluas...Hobie regattas every other weekend it seemed...friday night races on Maneeno's Hobie 33 down in Waikiki along with the after race LI Iced Teas...great days indeed...most peculiar Momma...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users