1248 replies to this topic

#1201 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

One good thing about the Moths is no trapeze to swing you back into the boat, you just get flung off and land in the water. Its swinging back and hitting the boat that hurts. Glen Oldfield with his Whisper Moth has no stays and loves the safety of that, much safer crashes. Maybe the C cats should consider sailing on racks rather than trapeze, at least when testing new foil configurations. I know, weight, structure, cost, windage, but it sure beats getting stitches. Might save a lot of boat damage too. Are all the current C class teams carrying on? Any new ones? Any ceasing?

kevlar body armor... from the Motocross world

#1202 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Boats with wings are cool, just plain cool

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

One good thing about the Moths is no trapeze to swing you back into the boat, you just get flung off and land in the water. Its swinging back and hitting the boat that hurts. Glen Oldfield with his Whisper Moth has no stays and loves the safety of that, much safer crashes. Maybe the C cats should consider sailing on racks rather than trapeze, at least when testing new foil configurations. I know, weight, structure, cost, windage, but it sure beats getting stitches. Might save a lot of boat damage too. Are all the current C class teams carrying on? Any new ones? Any ceasing?

I actually had a "holy shit hook" on during that crash. A steel hook into my trap belt, attaching me to the back on the boat, so when we stuff it, I would not get launched around the bows. In this particular stuff of the bows, I bent said hook clean open with my mass x acceleration, thus I found myself out in the nether regions where I am not supposed to be. I knew this immediately when I saw the forestay telltale pass my head in a giant cloud of spray and I thought to myself, "Oh fuck, I should not be seeing that thing right now".

This was followed by an impending sense of doom. "Damm, if I am way up here in front of the boat, chances are I am going to pull it down on my head in a nice big pitch pole". Which was momentarily followed by the sentiment, "Huh, perhaps it won't pitch pole, I am coming back towards the boat, Hope I don't hit the forestay on the return trip".

Not long after that I was thinking to myself, OK, well that's good, it hasn't pitch-poled on my head so there is hope that we won't screw up the wing just a few days before the event".

Followed by, "Oh this is gonna hurt". My hands came up automatically as you can see in the video and whammo, I hit the beam, my shin it sees hit the strap which is where I got my nice big laceration, through a 5mm wet suit. suffice to say I had some considerable bruising here and there too for good measure.

I was surprised to find myself conscious at that point, sort of smeared over the front beam. I was still hooked on, so I couldn't just let go and drop under the boat. So I wanted to get up on top of the trampoline, but I am very cautious about applying any kind of non-design load to the carbon strap under the beam, as a failure of the strap would mean an instant "boat taco" and a complete destruction of the boat. I also was trying to get my legs out of the water as I didn't want the boat to trip over my legs in the water, and pitch pole on my head after having got through the worst of the wipeout with the initial impact. So I was madly kind of walking backwards in the water. What you don't see in the video is me looking over my shoulder at the rapidly approaching rocky shore, that the boat is bearing away to, thinking, "great, it's going to hit the rocks at 10 plus knots THEN pitch-pole on top of me". So then I am looking for Fredo, waiting for him to head the boat up into the wind to stop it when I finally realize, "Oh Geeze, Fredo has left the building". I determine this when I see is bright orange hat some 200 M behind the boat. Eventually the tender pulls along side, the guys grab the forestay and we pull her up into the wind like a horse.

So, moral of the story is you don't have to completely reconfigure the boat to meet some safety goal (Go sail lasers if that is your concern), you just need a bigger f-ing hook to hold you in your position when experiencing high-G moments, which was of course installed later that day.

Now we are foiling, I make a point of not sitting or half trapping directly behind the trailing edge of the foil that is pulled up to windward, it's the most dangerous thing in the area, or directly behind the standing rigging for that matter. I'm either on the tramp, inboard, where I can shoot straight forward into the piss if required, or out on the wire completely, with the newly improved and upgraded hold back hook on, so then I can just crumple a bit on the rail, and not hit things in anger. Plus, the PBO rigging is a lot nicer to run into than the old piano wire shrouds and forestays.

#1203 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

I actually had a "holy shit hook" on during that crash. A steel hook into my trap belt, attaching me to the back on the boat, so when we stuff it, I would not get launched around the bows. In this particular stuff of the bows, I bent said hook clean open with my mass x acceleration, thus I found myself out in the nether regions where I am not supposed to be. I knew this immediately when I saw the forestay telltale pass my head in a giant cloud of spray and I thought to myself, "Oh fuck, I should not be seeing that thing right now".

This was followed by an impending sense of doom. "Damm, if I am way up here in front of the boat, chances are I am going to pull it down on my head in a nice big pitch pole". Which was momentarily followed by the sentiment, "Huh, perhaps it won't pitch pole, I am coming back towards the boat, Hope I don't hit the forestay on the return trip".

Not long after that I was thinking to myself, OK, well that's good, it hasn't pitch-poled on my head so there is hope that we won't screw up the wing just a few days before the event".

Followed by, "Oh this is gonna hurt". My hands came up automatically as you can see in the video and whammo, I hit the beam, my shin it sees hit the strap which is where I got my nice big laceration, through a 5mm wet suit. suffice to say I had some considerable bruising here and there too for good measure.

I was surprised to find myself conscious at that point, sort of smeared over the front beam. I was still hooked on, so I couldn't just let go and drop under the boat. So I wanted to get up on top of the trampoline, but I am very cautious about applying any kind of non-design load to the carbon strap under the beam, as a failure of the strap would mean an instant "boat taco" and a complete destruction of the boat. I also was trying to get my legs out of the water as I didn't want the boat to trip over my legs in the water, and pitch pole on my head after having got through the worst of the wipeout with the initial impact. So I was madly kind of walking backwards in the water. What you don't see in the video is me looking over my shoulder at the rapidly approaching rocky shore, that the boat is bearing away to, thinking, "great, it's going to hit the rocks at 10 plus knots THEN pitch-pole on top of me". So then I am looking for Fredo, waiting for him to head the boat up into the wind to stop it when I finally realize, "Oh Geeze, Fredo has left the building". I determine this when I see is bright orange hat some 200 M behind the boat. Eventually the tender pulls along side, the guys grab the forestay and we pull her up into the wind like a horse.

So, moral of the story is you don't have to completely reconfigure the boat to meet some safety goal (Go sail lasers if that is your concern), you just need a bigger f-ing hook to hold you in your position when experiencing high-G moments, which was of course installed later that day.

Now we are foiling, I make a point of not sitting or half trapping directly behind the trailing edge of the foil that is pulled up to windward, it's the most dangerous thing in the area, or directly behind the standing rigging for that matter. I'm either on the tramp, inboard, where I can shoot straight forward into the piss if required, or out on the wire completely, with the newly improved and upgraded hold back hook on, so then I can just crumple a bit on the rail, and not hit things in anger. Plus, the PBO rigging is a lot nicer to run into than the old piano wire shrouds and forestays.

And we all appreciate you were courteous enough to have good footage of the entire event, and now play-by-play to top it off.

Seriously, glad you did not hurt yourself, or the boat, worse.

#1204 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

You can get stable fast flight from inclined (dihedral) surface piercing foils. The lift off speed can be very low and top speed very high. 2D section shapes are very important. Upwind performance is phenomenal when its set up right. Brett Burvill and I sorted this out on the Windrush Moth back in 2000. The boat at the 2000 worlds had some control issues and after the worlds we worked them out by adding rudder elevator adjustment and vertical tips on the front foils and implemented similar ideas on Spitfire. However the Moth class killed that line of development and forced the central T foil arrangement. We did try a T foil off each wing bar in the early days and felt that the surface piercing arrangement was better, lower takeoff speed, higher top speed, simpler, more robust, no moving parts. There is some loss of righting moment as the boat rises.

Was off your rocker ever tried with just the lee T foil in the water and the windward one pulled up? Also the report I read on Off Your Rocker mentioned NACA 4 digit airfoils (from memory), there are other (probably better for that application) foil sections, were any others tried?

Does anyone know or want to divulge what 2D hydrofoil sections are being used on the various boats?

Piv, if you don't have the Steve Killing C Class analysis  e-mail me-it's too large to post here. Won't work in a PM.

====

Do you think that the surface piering foil configuation-given the same level of development-could be faster than the bi-foil arrangement on a Moth?

Piv just letting you know someones knocking on your front door

hope you have the lights turned off

#1205 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh shit hook size is definitely an acceptable weight trade-off.

#1206 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,995 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

got a pic of the bent hook, mag?

sorry, the straight hook?

#1207 piv

piv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

GybeSet and Doug, I Read that Killing Paper a few years ago if its the one I am thinking of. Really good stuff. It would be great to see similar papers from all the current C cat designers.

When I was in uni I read a thesis of some work done on the cunningham C and the tripple element wing and I saw it packed up at the yacht club, awesome boat, at that time I think it was Yellow Pages. The thesis is in the RMIT library, I didnt keep a copy of it. There was another one done on a sit in sailing hydrofoil and then I did mine on high speed sailboards. The Yellow Pages was good stuff, but superceded by Cogito. It would be great if there was an online repository for open research on this stuff, maybe there is. Anyone know? Maybe we could set up a drop box or something and authors could put their papers in it. Ive got my own collection of pdfs and papers and books, probably like everyone else here. There was a great book I got out from our local library about 30 years ago when I was a kid, I cant remember the name of it or the author but it was full of sailing hydrofoils like Williwaw and the first Mayfly I think and the Nigg Flying fish boats???. That made me think sailing hydrofoils were "normal", so I was never scared to give them a go. Fortunately there are some great innovators in WA like Brett Burvill, Garth and John Illet and Glen Oldfield amongst others. There is a C here at the Nedlands yacht club, just enough to keep the dream alive.

#1208 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Seriously, glad you did not hurt yourself, or the boat, worse.

Ahhhhhh.......It's only a flesh wound.

Attached File  2013-C-CLASS-CATAMARAN-CHAMPIONSHIPS-P1-MEREDITH-BLOCK-PHOTOS-2.jpg   779.32K   17 downloads

#1209 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

GybeSet and Doug, I Read that Killing Paper a few years ago if its the one I am thinking of. Really good stuff. It would be great to see similar papers from all the current C cat designers.

When I was in uni I read a thesis of some work done on the cunningham C and the tripple element wing and I saw it packed up at the yacht club, awesome boat, at that time I think it was Yellow Pages. The thesis is in the RMIT library, I didnt keep a copy of it. There was another one done on a sit in sailing hydrofoil and then I did mine on high speed sailboards. The Yellow Pages was good stuff, but superceded by Cogito. It would be great if there was an online repository for open research on this stuff, maybe there is. Anyone know? Maybe we could set up a drop box or something and authors could put their papers in it. Ive got my own collection of pdfs and papers and books, probably like everyone else here. There was a great book I got out from our local library about 30 years ago when I was a kid, I cant remember the name of it or the author but it was full of sailing hydrofoils like Williwaw and the first Mayfly I think and the Nigg Flying fish boats???. That made me think sailing hydrofoils were "normal", so I was never scared to give them a go. Fortunately there are some great innovators in WA like Brett Burvill, Garth and John Illet and Glen Oldfield amongst others. There is a C here at the Nedlands yacht club, just enough to keep the dream alive.

1) The book may be  "Hydrofoil Sailing" Alexander, Grogono and Nigg. It has all the older development foilers from Icaurus, Monitor, Williwaw, Hansfords surface piercer( Mayfly but not Philfly), Appollonio's cat, Flying Fish, Bradfields early surface piercer, Jacobs Experiment, Exocoetus, Prior's Proa and more...

2) There is another good book "Icarus-the Cat that Flies" by James Grogono that includes these and Philfly, one of the first to use trailing wands on a fully submerged system. Also incuded in this book: Gamma(canted wing foiler), Jacobs Ladder-a kite foiler, Force 8 with feelers like the much later Hobie Trifoiler,Mayfly and Philfly(first trailing wands), a 470 on surface piercing foils and more.

-----

Amazing what these guys did 30-40 years ago-and earlier!

#1210 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Attached File  hook.JPG   264.44K   24 downloads

My new safety tallisman

#1211 piv

piv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

So you need a meat hook for beef not chickens!

#1212 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

attachicon.gifhook.JPG

My new safety tallisman

Sorry, Magnus, but I think that was wishful thinking if you thought a hook that size was going to be strong enough to keep a beast on the side of the boat! On a more serious note, maybe you do need to have some sort of feature that allows it to let go under certain loads otherw ise you end up swinging a very strange path (as you found out) maybe some line with a known breaking load?

#1213 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,995 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

I wonder how thick mine would need to be @ 104 kg.

#1214 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

I wonder how thick mine would need to be @ 104 kg.

Your wife says it could afford to be thicker

#1215 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Golf Clap  :-)

#1216 F15 AUS

F15 AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well Played Sir

#1217 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Unless I'm tragically mistaken - why doesn't the excellent Le Tour De Force Groupama video on the FP have its rightful residence here?

#1218 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,995 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

because you haven't linked it here yet?  hop to it!

#1219 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

^
< ahem > Luddite with iPad .. :(

#1220 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

attachicon.gifhook.JPG

My new safety tallisman

Blunted,

As a multi year member of the oh-shit club, having no less than 48 hours ago been subject to a form of water boarding, whereby I found myself dangling upside down on the wire pinned to the bridle, yanking on the trapeze eject chord to ill effect, I kindly request a link to your new oh-shit hooks!

Best Regards,

Sam

P.S-my helm managed to stay on board through the incident, keep the boat upright and somehow got the bows up, eventually allowing me to free myself. We also decided we like our old boards with the safety edges on the top half-part that is in the trunk when the board is fully down has a ~0.25" trailing edge vs. a carbon fillet knife on the new boards.

#1221 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Jean-Pierre Dick could have done with one of those hooks .....

#1222 Arcal

Arcal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sailing (dah), <br />Designing<br />weird concepts <br />Drinking<br />American bikes<br />British cars

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

To all concerned. Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you.

You guys are wizards and extaordinary gentlemen for enlightening so many of us.

And surely if Australia can challenge for the AC then we should be involved in the Little Cup if only for the gathering of information.  C'mon Bob, you can aford it.

#1223 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,995 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

^
< ahem > Luddite with iPad .. :(

works on ipad.

#1224 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

And surely if Australia can challenge for the AC then we should be involved in the Little Cup if only for the gathering of information.  C'mon Bob, you can aford it.

Good point / Which reminds me: what's left of the quasi-legendary Melbourne C-cat bunch? Any reason (age, character) not to be included in the design team?

#1225 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

I've been looking to see how these rudder pitch controls work on the other end, the cleat end - what kind of  purchase they have, etc., to no avail. I saw the video with Blunted/Clean and the hiking stick gear box but didn't see how the gear box connected to the control line and purchase. Can anybody speak to how these systems work on the control side of the articulating gudgeon/pintle. Also, I understand that the Moth uses worm drives and I'm wondering if any cat sailors have figured out how to double end that system. I think FYH has but don't know the details and haven't seen the connections.

Also what is that little clear tube sticking out of the transom?

A-man

Attached File  558313_665938396757701_478477755_n.jpg   115.66K   158 downloads

#1226 Dave S

Dave S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Also what is that little clear tube sticking out of the transom?

Breather tube, to avoid building up positive/negative pressure in the hull which might distort the shape.

#1227 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Dave S,

Ah, thanks!

A-man

#1228 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

You are probably looking for these kinds of details...

Attached File  small-0007.jpg   118.4K   328 downloads

Attached File  small-0004.jpg   137.16K   315 downloads

Our rudder post tube slides back and forth in a slot in the hull.

The tube is pulled back with a small purchase, it is rigged with PBO filament, no weave, for no stretch. The two sides meet in the middle at the tiller and go forward to Rob's worm drive, which is attached to the tiller extension. rotate extension to get the rudder rake angle to change.

#1229 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

http://www.houzz.com...ontent=gallery0

Wing is the thing baby. Me likey

#1230 SoCalSlacker

SoCalSlacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:good old fashion competion

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

Nice find, that's pretty savage

#1231 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

http://www.houzz.com...ontent=gallery0

Wing is the thing baby. Me likey

+747

#1232 Kiwing

Kiwing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks "I cut it twice and it is still too short".

I wish my laser had this intrigue and challenge, but it is still fun.

#1233 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

You are probably looking for these kinds of details...

attachicon.gifsmall-0007.jpg

attachicon.gifsmall-0004.jpg

Our rudder post tube slides back and forth in a slot in the hull.

The tube is pulled back with a small purchase, it is rigged with PBO filament, no weave, for no stretch. The two sides meet in the middle at the tiller and go forward to Rob's worm drive, which is attached to the tiller extension. rotate extension to get the rudder rake angle to change.

Thanks for sharing!!! The line from the rudder runs to the tiller arm and turns through blocks up to a block connected to the worm screw and then to the other rudder? What does the gear box do? It seems like the hiking stick could just connect to the worm screw with the flexible end. The gear box must let you flip the hiking stick without engaging the worm screw? Pretty darn cool, however it works!

A-man

#1234 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,995 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

French rudders not adjustable on the water, basically same as ETNZ.  Hydros likely a faster solution but only if they can solve all the other problems.

m8

#1235 Foghorn77

Foghorn77

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

beaten technology m8

ask the froggies

Seems the "froggies" aren't real talkative in person much less on a forum.

#1236 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

when they got the hump they wont talk (or type) Inglese

they won't play cricket either

#1237 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

French rudders not adjustable on the water, basically same as ETNZ.  Hydros likely a faster solution but only if they can solve all the other problems.

m8

Do you know how Hydros controls the rudder pitch? I can see the line leaving the rudder pitch control but does it run to a cleat or the tiller/hiking stick ala FYH? Or to a cleat or a cleat on each side?

A-man

Attached Files

#1238 Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, F/E racing boats.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Post #1223

#1239 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hydros info here-not sure if rudder is mentioned:

http://vimeo.com/76441159#at=0

#1240 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

A class cats are allowed a hiking plank instead of a trapeze. C's too?

#1241 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

Post #1223

As Clean said "French rudders not adjustable on the water."

#1242 A-man

A-man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hydros info here-not sure if rudder is mentioned:

http://vimeo.com/76441159#at=0

No mention of a rudder pitch control system in this video but I watched it again because it is very interesting. They showed a rudder that was to be used for non-flying that they didn't even test as flying became the quest.

A-man

#1243 yard407

yard407

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:C-class cat's news in french
    http://www.abcclass.fr
    AccastiLight
    http://www.accastilight.com

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hydros 1

Attached Files

#1244 yard407

yard407

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
    AccastiLight

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hydros 2

Attached Files

#1245 yard407

yard407

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
    AccastiLight

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Groupama C - Flotteur babord

Attached Files

#1246 yard407

yard407

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
    AccastiLight

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Groupama C - Flotteur tribord

Attached Files

#1247 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Who has a prize for this gentleman for showing us these cool little systems?

#1248 larso

larso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

I know this is a little late but they were a little late in posting it on the Team website... but here is the story of how we got to the start line.

http://www.teaminvictus.com/news_2013_11_08.html

Foiling was obviously the big game changer with this event but there is still so much to be learned about all the other bits of the boat. Being forced to build a wing in the manner we did was very educational. Our wing weighed 91 kg whilst the others were typically around 67-70kg. Due to the simplicity of our wing, we are confident we could get way under their weight if we used similar build techniques. There is a lot to be said for a simple, light wing. It means you have to trade a few luxuries like element 1 twist... but from what I saw with our wing this time... she was bloody quick upwind. Foiling may diminish the advantage of element 1 twist quite a bit downwind. Our wing could be simplified further if a straight leading edge was chosen.

Attached File  IMG_5719_1920x1080.jpg   210.52K   41 downloads

#1249 blunted

blunted

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Bravo Larso, great to see you again at the event. You did a bang up job rallying the team to get her on the water mostly in one piece and sailable and she had some good moments of speed where the wing was looking pretty good.

B

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: little americas cup, C class catamaran, ICCT, ICCCC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users