#1 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:Small craft design. Still and motion photography

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thomas Coville has injured his leg severely during a maneuver on board Sodeb'O. He is forced to abandon his on-going record attempt on the Route of Discovery. He is sailing back to the Azores to see doctors. Here's the crude translation from the Sodeb'O site:

"Wounded in the leg, Thomas must give

Party Saturday from Cadiz for a record attempt on the solo Discovery Route towards the Bahamas, Thomas Coville decided tonight to give up on the advice of his doctors after an injury to his left leg that does not change in the right direction. The skipper of the maxi-trimaran Sodebo is underway in moderate weather to the port of Ponta Delgada on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores it will reach tomorrow, Wednesday evening.

Thomas was injured Sunday night in the calf during a jibe made in 25/30 knots, approaching the Canaries. Operate a multihull 31 meters long, with a mast 35 meters, demand and trade is the first time in 25 years of career as a seaman is injured so. In operation, listening mainsheet a damaged leg, causing significant edema.

After observing the evolution of the injury for 48 hours, the skipper decided to follow the recommendation of the two doctors who advocate immobilize the leg and daily care to avoid aggravation and sequelae. The most reasonable decision is required, Thomas waives his heart against crossing.

The sailor did not hide his disappointment. If the weather window this attempt was complicated, it had all the components of a good workout for the round the world record which he will tackle next winter.

"I thought it was going to reverse but the situation deteriorated rapidly," confided the skipper in the evening. "My ankle was very swollen and I am now struggling to move that can engage my safety and that of the boat. Doctors fear it gets worse and causes affect my long-term recovery. As I am not far from the Azores, confuse me turns out to be a wise decision. It's a shame because I felt really good about this boat downwind transfigured. This training was really interested even if this record Discovery is not the center of our program Sodebo."

#2 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Damn shame-hope he makes it ok.

#3 Large Thomas

Large Thomas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture
    Boatbuilding
    Minitransat / Transat 650
    IMOCA (Open) 60
    Class40
    Ocean Rowing
    Human powered transportation
    Photography
    Rock Climbing

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

http://www.sodebo.fr...s-doit-renoncer

translated a bit more sanely:

"Having left Cadix for a singlehanded record attempt on the Route de la Découverte (The Discovery Course) in direction of the Bahamas, Thomas Coville tonight has decided to give in to the advice of his doctors after an injury to his left leg which doesn't develop well. The skipper of the maxi trimaran Sodebo makes way in moderate weather conditions towards Ponta Delgada on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores where he will arrive on Wednesday evening.

Thomas has injured himself on Sunday evening, at the calf, after tacking in 25/30 knots of wind, as he was approaching the Canary Islands. Maneuvering a multihull of 31 meters length, with a mast of 35 meters demands craftsmanship and it's the first time in his 25 years' career that he has hurt himself in such a way. During the maneuver the sheet of the mainsheet car jammed his leg and has caused a big edema.

After having watched the progression of this injury over the last 48 hours the skipper has decided to follow the recommendations of his doctors who foresee to immobilising the leg and giving daily attention to avoid a further aggravation of the injury. The most sensible decision prevails, Thomas gives up on the traverse against his heart's wish.

The sailor doesn't hide his disappointment. Even though the weather window for this attempt was complicated it also included all the components of a good training in regard to the round-the-world record he will attempt in the coming winter.

« I've thought that it would withdraw itself but the situation has quickly deteriorated. » said the skipper in the night. « My ankle has swollen up a lot and now I have problems to move myself around which could my own security and that of the boat at risk. The doctors fear that it's getting worse and foresee consequences for my long term recovery. As I'm not far from the Azores I will it would be a wise decision to change my course. It's a shame because I felt really good on this boat, now totally changed on downwind. This training interested me a lot even if the record of the Découverte isn't at the center of the program with Sodebo. »

#4 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Coville will heal and have another go at this Francis Joyon, East to West, Atlantic record. Additionally, he's planning a fresh attempt on the solo round the world record, also held by Joyon, late this year. Lots going on in the Sodeb'O camp in La Trinite sur Mer.

#5 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

know just how he feels

tore some log muscle fibre the other day and trying to ignore it and carry on walking just made it worse

sleeping was a nightmare

finally went to the doctor and he strapped it up and put me on crutches and told me to stay as immobile as possible

next day pain was reduced and you could feel the healing begin

you don't want injuries like that when you are alone in the middle of the ocean

#6 Sundreamer

Sundreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Music, Flying, Cars

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Damn, thats a shame

#7 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Coville was met in the Azores by his Sodeb'O team, his wife and local doctors. He's flying back to France after a checkup at the hospital and the team has already left for France on the big trimaran. Now, it's just a recovery process to see if he can get healed in time for a standby period in advance of his scheduled RTW attempt later in the Fall. Staying in shape could be interesting.

#8 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Coville limps in to see the doctor. http://www.sodebo.fr/voile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users