24 replies to this topic

#1 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

The Sodebo team have bought the maxi trimaran Geronimo as noted in this press release. The plan seems to be to update the trimaran and modify it for singlehanded operation with the 2014 Route du Rhum as the first objective. Thomas Coville will take another run at the solo round the world record in the current Sodebo Maxi and then it will go up for sale.

Here is the original press release in French

http://www.sodebo.fr...i-avec-geronimo

And the Bing translation below.

14/02/2013

Sodebo launches a new challenge with Geronimo

WITH THE ACQUISITION OF THE FAMOUS 'GERONIMO' OF OLIVIER DE KERSAUSON, SODEBO WROTE A NEW PAGE OF ITS HISTORY IN SAILING.

Once again, SODEBO confirms its commitment to the extreme sailing. Undertaking chose sponsoring sailing 15 years ago to accompany its development, confirms its communication strategy. With this acquisition, SODEBO signed a new story of men and transmission.

SODEBO loves new challenges and "after six years with the 105 feet (31 meters), we wanted to acquire a more versatile than our current trimaran vessel typed records alone. Geronimo must allow us, after work, attend races multi-format with as the first objective, the Route du Rhum 2014, " explains Patricia Brochard, co-Chair of SODEBO, which States that Thomas Coville, designated skipper of SODEBO, will try to establish as expected by the fall of 2013, a new absolute record around the world solo and multihull on Sodebo 105 foot maxi which will then put on sale.

Designed by the architects Van Peteghem and Lauriot Prévost, Geronimo has proven its reliability. This Ocean and performance of 111 feet almost 34 meters long trimaran traveled about 100,000 miles with Olivier de Kersauson without ever knowing of major problems. It is also the platform from which the VPLP architects were able to develop the ultimate Groupama 3 and Bank Populaire v.

"Geronimo gave us lots of emotions and pleasure, full of beautiful records, including the Transpac and the Australia which are always, ' tells Olivier de Kersauson. "This is the first large trimaran, designed in an era dominated by catamarans, and took many risks with it. He we well made it. He even made us pass the Horn in hellish conditions where no other boat happened! Geronimo is often found in rough conditions (broken arm in the waste of the tsunami in the Indian past the Horn in full baston), it has not been spoiled in weather and had to pay quite a lot of broken pots, but this boat has the soul and it has always allowed us to go home with pride.''

Olivier de Kersauson knows well the current skipper of SODEBO have embarked it in 1997 as a simple crew: "Thomas is going to do what I would do if I could still, we are online on the objectives and the means to achieve this. It gives me pleasure that this ship exists and is still evolving in its hands. Thomas has a team that develops, reflects, navigates lot and everywhere, they are people whom I esteem. With our experience and our partner Cap Gemini and Schneider, we had optimized this boat to the best of our means and the tech available, without savings or compromised. It can still evolve, remain a reference. This really makes us pleasure Sodebo and Thomas give a future to all that has been," says Olivier de Kersauson. "

Thomas Coville and his team who are trying to build the team's design team, have already chosen architects (VPLP), the (Multiplast) and Hervé Devaux Structure. They know all the platform to have designed and built with Olivier de Kersauson who, says Thomas "was one of the first to believe in the trimarans for extreme adventures. This gentleman has marked my life,'' continues it by explaining how Kersauson was the trigger of his life at sea. "I did my first around the world with him on Sport Elec in 1997, a victorious Jules Verne. At the time, from around the world in a multihull, it was a real adventure. I have a clear story with him with his paternalistic side that impressed me at first, then amused. When it crosses, one must be careful because it does not leave you indifferent. It follows today. The story is pretty. "

SODEBO welcomes this transmission between the two sailors ' whose personality, spirit, and the courses have similarities with our history," adds Patricia Brochard. "Whether in Sodebo, Thomas Coville or Olivier de Kersauson, found this pioneering spirit reflected by a real boldness through committed choice. What are these risks assumed catch that lead us further. "

Along with this acquisition, the vendéen company confirms develop its reflection to initiate a new program of races off the coast that goes beyond solitaire and the only record attempts."For months, we are working on a new circuit that we planned to finalize and to concretely in the year 2013,'' says the co-Chair of SODEBO pursuing consultations with Thomas Coville and his team."

#2 Chris O

Chris O

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:Small craft design. Still and motion photography

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

All I can say right now is, WOW!

#3 trimariner

trimariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Very interesting! BP may have competition? A stretch, foils, canting rig, voila! Last chance for Sodebo. Now there's a round Australia ride for 2014.

#4 sail(plane)

sail(plane)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Weta #676

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Geronimo is what actually caught my eye some years ago while just surfing the internet (not being a sailor). I thought it was a mean and beautiful machine and kept reading. Then, Geronimo´s images and ODK vs Peyron´s stories in their RTW attempts is what made me want to sail and particularly like trimarans

not surprinsigly, I am now really happy in a grey Weta! I should name it Little Geronimo

fair winds Geronimo and good luck Thomas and Sodebo!

#5 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,050 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Seems quite an old boat to buy, what happened is or happening to Groupama 3?

#6 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Seems quite an old boat to buy, what happened is or happening to Groupama 3?

They may just use parts of the boat like they did on the new Prince de Bretagne maxi trimaran. They purchased the original ORMA 60 sodebo and reused the beams, rig and foils everything else is new. Groupama3 has been purchased by Banque Populaire and will be sailed by Armel le Cleach in the Route du Rhum 2014

#7 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

This board maybe getting more traffic than the Ocean Racing board, so thought I would point out the most interesting part of the story, to me, the indication where Sodebo may be working to set up a new circuit for maxis. That would be awesome! Would sure like to see something put together to get the big boats out on the water. Orange II, the old triplets, the 105'ers, G3, Geronimo, and the MOD 70s could all see if they can keep up with BPV.

#8 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sodebo has taken Geronimo and she is being lifted out for major work at Multiplast under the direction of VPLP

http://www.sodebo.fr...chez-multiplast

THE EX-GERONIMO OF RETURN AT MULTIPLAST

Heres the rough bing translation:

Give new life to a legend boat to align on the next Route du Rhum in 2014, is the ambitious bet by Thomas Coville and his team. The trimaran Geronimo of Olivier de Kersauson was taken in hand by the Sodeboys which carried the boat between Brest and the Multiplast yard in Vannes, where he was born.

Water July 22, 2001 after 100,000 hours of work, Geronimo is one of the precursors of the maxi multihull oceanic second generation and the trimaran, which then resulted in Groupama 3 (F.Cammas) and Banque Populaire V (P.Bidegorry, L.Peyron). These three boats were also designed by the firm of architects Marc Van Peteghem and Vincent Lauriot-Prévost and have all beaten successively the Jules Verne trophy (round the world crew record) from 63 days to 48 and 45 between 2004 and 2012.*

Make a weapon of solitaire
The challenge of modernisation work in team Sodebo is to adapt this huge boat of 34 metres overall thought for records with a crew of solo sailing. An approach that is reminiscent of Franck Cammas who transformed Groupama 3 after the Jules Verne trophy in 2010 and won the Rhum solo road a few months later.

In order to carry out this bold enterprise, the skipper of Sodebo brought together experts who participated in the birth of Geronimo and also with an excellent knowledge of technological developments made since the multihulls. It is as well as the choice of the Multiplast, VPLP architects or engineers at HDS have emerged. Suffice to say that each today puts a lot of heart to reconnect with this boat which both marked his time.

Reunion
Elie Canivenc technical project team Sodebo and view Geronimo which he followed the epic in the early 2000s. At the moment, it goes back the time a little every day: "it is a great moment, full of emotions for us all. We found Geronimo Brest trade harbour. We were greeted by Yves Pouillaude and Didier Ragot, the two faithful seconds by Olivier de Kersauson. They gave us the keys to the boat, very happy to know that their trimaran would resume the sea. We have then tow the platform into the Gulf of Morbihan to ground valves where a new adventure begins. At Multiplast, it is a very loyal family. Many have built this boat, and share everything with them adds an additional wealth to the technical challenge that stands before us.

At the time, no concessions had been made on the design or the construction of this boat which is remarkable. Obviously, our way of thinking things evolved, like how to navigate. We can see the revolution that occurred since, on comfort for example. In Geronimo, there are two card tables, two kitchens, 12 berths, unthinkable today!

Need to get the most out of what we have in our hands. Dense and exciting months ahead to give a second life to this boat and write his beautiful story. "

J.H.

#9 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

The Sodebo team have put up a video showing the transport of the trimaran Geronimo from its hardstand facility to the Multiplast yard where she will undergo her refit and update.

http://youtu.be/LNox9Gj8l80

#10 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Always liked that boat. It will be very interesting to see what it looks like when it comes out of the shed.

By the way, looks like it will be keeping company with her old friend, Orange2, at Multiplast.

#11 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

It looks so sad, unloved and out dated. The overall shape of bows / no ama boards-rudders. How things change in 10 years. I'm sure they will bring her back to life. O K had it built to last so it will be fine.
Good luck to them

#12 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

It looks so sad, unloved and out dated. The overall shape of bows / no ama boards-rudders. How things change in 10 years. I'm sure they will bring her back to life. O K had it built to last so it will be fine.
Good luck to them

Amazing what a difference a tidy up a lick of new paint a new rig/sails and some mods will make. Good to see the old girl getting some love and a new lease on life. I still remember when they set the Round Australia record on this boat 17 days! Thats cranking along.

#13 trimariner

trimariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

When I visited last year she was being worked on. Only the cross beams are from the old Geronimo. New floats and main hull and all the latest goodies. Her round Oz fully crewed and non stop was awesome! 17 and a half days! Sydney to Sydney. Think we took that long to get to Perth from Darwin in a 36' Crowther Buccaneer during the double handed round Australia race in 88. She still holds the Tranpac record. This Route de Rhum is going to kick of the new Ultime Multihull class into a new era. Who will be first to bag that 1000nm 24 hour run? Cheers all.

#14 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

I believe that you misspelled it at the beginning of the post. Gerononimo is not correct.  Geronimo is.

#15 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

Who will be first to bag that 1000nm 24 hour run? Cheers all.

Will be a long time IMHO.  At that speed the boats move much faster than the weather systems that power them so the weather conditions that allow that sort of a run will be truly exceptional, and very rare.

#16 JMOD

JMOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:the usual stuff

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

start behind the weather system, and then overtake it!

#17 trimariner

trimariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

BP 5 now Spindrift 2 is knocking on the door of the 1000nm 24 hour run allready! Less than 100 Nm off it! They only need to go from 37.6kt to a 42kt average to top the 1000nm. I believe it will happen in my life time. Cheers all.

#18 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

What are the modifications are they doing to Geronimo?

#19 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

http://www.thedailys...o-maxi-trimaran

"From our earliest research, we knew there was a lot of weight to be saved from the central hull," continues Coville. "There were two tables, two galleys, and 12 berths in Geronimo as she was! So at Multiplast in Vannes a new 31m central hull, designed by VPLP, who designed the boat originally. We kept the boom, although that has been modified. A new 35m mast is being completed by Lorima. We've strengthened the cross beams and added foils in her floats. We have also replaced nine meters of her floats to improve their hydrodynamics and added rudders to them that were not there before. This gigantic puzzle required us also to come up with a boat that is as light as possible, but with a reliable structure."

SODEBO230114-0082_620.jpg

#20 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

For the amount of work they're doing I think it's amazing it's working out cheaper than building a new boat.

#21 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

That is a huge amount of work.  I hope they accomplish what they want to get done.

#22 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

You need the weather system to get the sorts of speeds necessary to do the 1000 mile runs.  Start behind the weather system and you're doing 30 knots, not 40.  The systems themselves tend to move at 25 - 30 knots so you outrun them very easily.  You need a boat that can do 40+ speeds without weather assist.  Not at all impossible but that's a bigger, meaner and faster boat than anything on the water now.

#23 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

For the amount of work they're doing I think it's amazing it's working out cheaper than building a new boat.

Imho, it might be more a time thing than a money thing.

I mean, maybe what they are saving more is build time than money, although time is money, so...

#24 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

I don't know, but not having to make molds for beams and amas saves a shit load of time/ money. Not to mention the reduction of carbon purchased and popped out of said molds. I'd love to know how much they paid for Geronimo. So far they've built Ama mods and center hull from new molds. I suspect they are coming out on top price wise. Certainly time wise.

#25 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

You need the weather system to get the sorts of speeds necessary to do the 1000 mile runs.  Start behind the weather system and you're doing 30 knots, not 40.  The systems themselves tend to move at 25 - 30 knots so you outrun them very easily.  You need a boat that can do 40+ speeds without weather assist.  Not at all impossible but that's a bigger, meaner and faster boat than anything on the water now.
Don't expect you would see it on a RTW run but they are already pretty close to the number. Just need the right runway in the trades. Boat has it in her for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users