ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hello all,
I am looking for my next boat... I currently have a Cal 29 which I have sailed all over the Pacific Northwest and have lived aboard over the last few years. I would like a larger boat for extended cruising and to live aboard fulltime with my girlfriend (we both lived on the 29 with the bog and it would be nice to have something bigger). I may be a cruiser but a boat that sails well is very important to me, I am buying a sail boat after all! After looking at many boats and doing research I have landed on a Cal 40 as my next boat for several reasons.
1. She is pretty, I love the classic lines and overhangs. I like the large cockpit for hanging out with friends.
2. She is very simple, the sail plan is a mast head sloop and the interior is very basic yet elegant. She has no head liner and everything is accessible
3. She is affordable, you can get a great boat for under 50k
4. She sails very well (yes I know there are other boats that go up wind better).
5. She has a tiller, I love sailing tiller boats. Maybe it is from growing up sailing dinghies…
6. I like the Cal 29 so much that I can only imagine I would like the 40.
What other boats would you suggest that are in the 36-42 foot range that would be suited for my needs? I am open to any and all suggestions before I take the leap on a new boat.
I have looked at 5 or so Cal 40’s in Washington and BC over the last year but have not found the one for me yet. Does anybody know of any for sale in Washington or BC? I am not afraid of a project but would like a good starting point.
Thanks

Attached Files

#2 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hello all,
I am looking for my next boat... I currently have a Cal 29 which I have sailed all over the Pacific Northwest and have lived aboard over the last few years. I would like a larger boat for extended cruising and to live aboard fulltime with my girlfriend (we both lived on the 29 with the bog and it would be nice to have something bigger). I may be a cruiser but a boat that sails well is very important to me, I am buying a sail boat after all! After looking at many boats and doing research I have landed on a Cal 40 as my next boat for several reasons.
1. She is pretty, I love the classic lines and overhangs. I like the large cockpit for hanging out with friends.
2. She is very simple, the sail plan is a mast head sloop and the interior is very basic yet elegant. She has no head liner and everything is accessible
3. She is affordable, you can get a great boat for under 50k
4. She sails very well (yes I know there are other boats that go up wind better).
5. She has a tiller, I love sailing tiller boats. Maybe it is from growing up sailing dinghies…
6. I like the Cal 29 so much that I can only imagine I would like the 40.
What other boats would you suggest that are in the 36-42 foot range that would be suited for my needs? I am open to any and all suggestions before I take the leap on a new boat.
I have looked at 5 or so Cal 40’s in Washington and BC over the last year but have not found the one for me yet. Does anybody know of any for sale in Washington or BC? I am not afraid of a project but would like a good starting point.
Thanks

Evan, you already know the right answer. You will not get a better value than a well priced Cal 40. One of the great boats of all time and because people are always looking for the "latest new thing" they are a high value for the dollar spent. And most importantly a well sailed Cal 40 will blow by your Dad's Pilot 35 and leave him in your wake. Cheers! Kim

#3 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Evan,

+1 on what Kim said. I'd expect Beau V to chime in, too, as he is well versed in Cal 40s, and a huge fan of the boats.

You may also want to extend your search farther afield. Really nice Cal 40s are on the market in CA, TX, and the east coast. Most have been for sale for a while, and you can probably cut a deal. Shipping may be cheaper than you think. I was quoted approx $7k for shipping a Cal 40 from Washington to Connecticut last Fall.

#4 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Whatever happened to the one that was prominent when Courtney was looking for a new boat?

#5 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

It's still there. http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States
If it's not selling at 25K, there must be something seriously wrong. Perhaps our new-found friend has seen it and can tell us when he posts some tits.

#6 Mylar

Mylar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Detriot had many 40's laying around a few years back untill some suspicious jewish lighting hit there winter storage building.
They all moved on to J/120's. Maybe there are a few survivors.

#7 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Find a nice, restored Cal 40.

#8 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

I have to agree,the Cal 40 is a great boat and would be tops on my list, but if you want alternatives you might think about the larger Ericsons from tbe late '60s-'70s,or maybe the Tartan 41.

#9 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

It's still there. http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States
If it's not selling at 25K, there must be something seriously wrong. Perhaps our new-found friend has seen it and can tell us when he posts some tits.

Thanks for the input. I looked at this boat a few months ago. The most memorable part of that trip was the great beer we had at the anacortas brewers after... That boat "kismet" is in need of some love. A family lived on her for a while and the interior has been modified a lot. The deck has more holes in it from relocating deck hardware than I have ever seen before. It really needs a paint job all around, needs sails and rigging, and the list goes on... When I talked to them they were listing her for 25k for a fast sail, that was a few months ago...

#10 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Whatever happened to the one that was prominent when Courtney was looking for a new boat?

It was pretty rough, needed lots of work.

#11 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

I agree with Bob, find a really nice restored one and bargain for a good price and you will get the best value.

You know the saying about vintage Ferrari's? Never buy a Ferrari to restore because a fully restored one will sell for just about the cost of the restoration. Same for the Cal 40.

#12 dbottles

dbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Laser Racing, J22 Sailing, Float Plane Flying.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

I would also look hard at the Express37. It might have a more living friendly interior than the Cal40. The Express 37 is in someways the next Gen of the Cal 40 for good west coast boat.

#13 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

I agree with Bob, find a really nice restored one and bargain for a good price and you will get the best value.

You know the saying about vintage Ferrari's? Never buy a Ferrari to restore because a fully restored one will sell for just about the cost of the restoration. Same for the Cal 40.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe someone's race boat. Then it will have all the sailing goodies and can tweak the cabin to my liking.

#14 postpast

postpast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Old Cars, Old Heavy Equipment, Sailing, Fixing Sail Boats,

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

I've wondered about the Cal's for a while. From what I've read, everybody thinks they're great. Yet they come up for sale cheap all the time. Anyone know why?

#15 curm

curm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

What's wrong with the Cal 39? If I were planning to live on the boat, I'd probably want the roomier interior.

#16 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

What's wrong with the Cal 39? If I were planning to live on the boat, I'd probably want the roomier interior.

The 39 is a great boat but I am not a fan of the look. I do not like the reverse transom and the rudder sticking up. I also think the shear line on the 40 is much prettier. The 39s also seem to be more expensive than the 40s

#17 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Cal 36 cruising?

#18 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Cal 40 is a great option but there are a lot of other boats of that vintage or a bit newer with good sailing manners and liveaboard room. Full range runs from more cruising oriented (Pearson, Cal, Tartan, Catalina) to more performance oriented such as the express 37, C&C 41, Ericson's (as Jose recommends) . In today's market, you can have your pick of a lot of boats so it's worth walking the docks a bit. I'd look for a broker who will help you focus your search and show you a variety of options.

For an older boat, you are looking for hull integrity and quality of maintenance over time.

If you can find them, I'd get copies of Bob Perry's "Sailing Designs" books that are compilations of his reviews over time. Great source of design comments, sailplans and layouts of a huge number of boats.

#19 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'd look for a broker who will help you focus your search and show you a variety of options.

Call Paul Jenkins at Elliott Bay Yacht Sales (the same guy your Dad used) 206-285-9563. Tell him your Dad & Kim sent you. He will take very good care of you.

But don't give up on Craigslist either. For sale by owner is fine, you will need a good survey no matter where or from whom you buy.

Good Luck Evan.

#20 blackbird

blackbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I had your problem a few months ago and settled on a C&C 40. I seriously considered the Cal 40 (and 36) for the reasons you outline, but I like the C&C's layout better. And I love the way she looks; an important consideration! I think there's a nice one for sale in West Van, now.
I think they can be had for pretty short money. The downside of the boat is that it can be a bit squirrelly in big breeze with the kite up. But I'm mostly cruising so I won't be flying a kite in big breeze.
A good survey, as always, is a must.

#21 Yesac13

Yesac13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Just to weight in with my untold hours of window shopping for sailboats...

Look seriously at the most expensive sailboats in your range. For example, a Cal 40 will have a listing price range between 30 to 60 grand. The 60 grand one usually is the best deal. It most likely has a new engine, newer upholstery, sails, head, and so on. If you buy the cheapest one, you then load it up with all of the latest goodies, you usually end up paying more than the costly one, not including lost hours fixing something. Hence, take a hard look at the most expensive one you find. Better to go sailing than to deal with a finicky motor or whatever!

#22 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

http://www.youtube.c...eWHDEijOqGyQkPw
Blackbird:
Have you ever looked at an old C&C 39? They are fabulous boats and if you could find on in good shape you would have one of the best looking production boats ever built IMHO.

Ok, not so humble. Let's say "learned" opinion.

I think that"squirrly downwind in a breeze" is BS for cruisers. I don't think you'd ever push the boat hard enough to experience that part of their personality. And if you did you could just hold on, keep the boat under the chute and "Be a man!":

#23 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,206 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Nobody welcomes newbies around here any more? How rude! ;)

#24 herbie verstinx

herbie verstinx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Might this be to modern of a design for you? The price is right and has a tiller.
http://sailingtexas....1/scc36101.html

#25 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Tom:
sorry but you can't see Violet's tits.
http://www.youtube.c...eWHDEijOqGyQkPw

#26 sam_crocker

sam_crocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

You should look at the Ericson 41 if you like the classic look. It's probably slower than the Cal but beats her hands down for looks. The Northeast 38 is a looker too but not so common in the PNW.

#27 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

You should look at the Ericson 41 if you like the classic look. It's probably slower than the Cal but beats her hands down for looks. The Northeast 38 is a looker too but not so common in the PNW.

The ericson 41s are nice to look at indeed. i looked at one in laconner a while back. she had been gutted and redone very very nice. i recall the topsides, cabin and decks needed paint. i think her name was tomboy. I wondered how she sailed. any one sailed one?

#28 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

A good friend bought an Islander 36 after looking at the Cal 40s and an Express37. He's done a couple of Pac Cups on it and is a fixture in the local beer can races. He swears by it. Its very cruisey down below.

#29 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

Here's a really nice K. Aage Nielsen 40'er.

Posted Image

A nice old woodie, they are only asking $175K. :blink:

http://www.yachtworl...A/United-States

#30 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,206 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Tom:
sorry but you can't see Violet's tits.

I don't think she's technically a newbie. Grandfathered in.

#31 blackbird

blackbird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Bob, I agree; the 39 is gorgeous. I lusted after one ever since I sailed on Pachena years ago. I looked at one before I got the 40. But my cruise director put the kibosh on it because the layout was too chopped up. It would be great for racing with a pile of crew, but not so much for a couple cruising.
It almost broke my heart to walk away from it but she was right.

#32 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Blackbird:
I raced against PACHENA many times. Often on RABBIT. PACHENA was the boat to beat in those days. Until HEATHER came along. I had a good buddy with a 39, BISCUIT EATER. He took the boat to the South Pacific and loved it.
Your mate is right though. That layout comes from another age and is more suited to racing.

#33 Sail69

Sail69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Blackbird:
Have you ever looked at an old C&C 39? They are fabulous boats and if you could find on in good shape you would have one of the best looking production boats ever built IMHO.

Ok, not so humble. Let's say "learned" opinion.

I think that"squirrly downwind in a breeze" is BS for cruisers. I don't think you'd ever push the boat hard enough to experience that part of their personality. And if you did you could just hold on, keep the boat under the chute and "Be a man!":

I have owned my 1981 C & C 40 for eight years. In my learned opinion she is as good looking as the 39 and there are more of them to choose from. The interior is not "boat show" but works perfect for a couple (and 4 kids for a weekend when we younger and more foolish).

Well built all around and offshore capable. The only time she gets antsy downwind is when you dont choke the chute and stay under it in a breeze. However we rarely need to fly the chute in those conditions because she reaches hull speed+ so easily with much less sail and drama.

#34 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

The 39 is a great boat but I am not a fan of the look. I do not like the reverse transom and the rudder sticking up. I also think the shear line on the 40 is much prettier. The 39s also seem to be more expensive than the 40s

I sailed a Cal 39 across the Pacific many years ago. The boat handled it just fine. Maybe they are a little slow by today's standards, but WTF you got a bus to catch or something ? No comfy cruiser should go faster than 9 knots.

I'm also a fan of the C & C 37. Great all round boat.

Careful with the tiller idea. Above 34 ft they are rare on anything but a flat out racer.

#35 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Has anyone sailed the Ericson 41?

I sailing in lake washington this weekend and saw a Cal 40 tied up on the dock by the canoe rental just east of the montlake bridge. She looked to be in good condition but I could not see her name as we sailed by. any one know what boat she is?
I also herd a roumer from a few friends that there might be a Cal 40 for sale in Shilshole marina. Any one have any info on this boat?
Thanks,
Evan

#36 LowCountryManOfLeisure

LowCountryManOfLeisure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I like the tiller also. Of course with a nice auto pilot below.

#37 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

This would make a nice livaboard for 2.

http://www.yachtworl...,-Mexico/Mexico

#38 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I like the tiller also. Of course with a nice auto pilot below.

yes auto pilots are a must.

savior:
KimB has a tiller on his 60 foot boat...

#39 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I am looking at a Cal 40 that has a 34 horse Yanmar diesel. Most of these boats came with Perkins 4108 50 horse motors. Do you guys think the Yanmar will be enough to push it around well. I am a cruiser and like the ability to motor into an oncoming sea if I have to.
thanks,
Evan

#40 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I am looking at a Cal 40 that has a 34 horse Yanmar diesel. Most of these boats came with Perkins 4108 50 horse motors. Do you guys think the Yanmar will be enough to push it around well. I am a cruiser and like the ability to motor into an oncoming sea if I have to.
thanks,
Evan

Yes, the Yanmar should be lighter, quieter and should be enough to handle most situations with the Cal 40.

#41 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

The cost of restoration is about double the cost of a nice, restored Cal 40. I know whereof I speak. Great boat, buy one. One that has already been fixed, sorted, painted. Things to look for; has the beam been replaced? Have the toe rails been-glassed? How about the back of the keel where it meets the hull (needs beefing up there).

#42 Micksails

Micksails

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

The cost of restoration is about double the cost of a nice, restored Cal 40. I know whereof I speak. Great boat, buy one. One that has already been fixed, sorted, painted. Things to look for; has the beam been replaced? Have the toe rails been-glassed? How about the back of the keel where it meets the hull (needs beefing up there).

I raced on that boat from 1990 to '96'. After we won the Vic Maui the partnership decided to sell the boat. Was sad to see her go. The new owners then kept her in Seattle and raced her a bit, but they removed some of the great modifications we installed below. I also build the nav station and modified the quarter berths.

I think the biggest problem with this particular boat is the top deck behind the mast. Too many penetrations that allowed water into the plywood core and it started to rot out. Big job to fix all that.

#43 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Maybe I'm all wet, but I thought most Cal 40's had wheels because of fairlty ferrocious weather helm in a blow. I understand it's a personal preference thing, but I'd pick the wheel just to avoid having the tiller sweeping the cockpit on every tack, and the helm issues (unless that's really not a factor)

#44 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,149 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ant decision yet? I've followed this thread a bit, interested to see which boat ...

#45 carcrash

carcrash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

We have been looking all over for something to more-or-less live on while we travel. Cal 40, Cal 36, Ericson 41 were high on the list because of great memories of when they were new. And they look very fine. Saw a Cal 40 without lifelines and no pulpit or pushpit, and man that really looks sweet. Almost like a meter boat -- the freeboard is a lot lower than modern boats, and they are relatively very narrow.

However, as many have pointed out, you really must buy a boat based on condition. Its just got to be in awesome condition. I would like to buy a boat from someone as irrational as me, who spends horrific amounts of money to keep a boat as perfect as possible.

And when you start looking at pristine boats, you are close to the cost of a new boat, for obvious reasons: its all the systems...

And I also have first hand experience with losing masts due to standing rigging that was 6 and 10 years old, and an aluminum mast whose step collapsed after about a dozen years. Nearly sinking mid Atlantic due to fatigue on a generator cooling water hose on a 9 year old A&R gold plater. And lots and lots of other stories of problems that occur within a few years. Stuff decays! In every case, these stories are all from boats kept with very deep pockets and open checkbooks.

So the reason lots of glass boats from the 60's are still on the market for years and years (Tomboy, lots of Cal 40s) is that those boats are nearly a half century old! They are not like you remember.

I retired last year, and I figure this next boat needs to last me a couple or four decades. Might as well start with a pretty darn new boat. Actually, pretty much decided to build custom.

#46 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

No new news yet I still like the Cal 40 but am looking at all types of boats. I am just waiting tell I find a good deal on a well kept up boat. Like many of you have said it is really about what condition a boat is in.

#47 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

mikewof, on 10 Mar 2013 - 14:08, said:

Ant decision yet? I've followed this thread a bit, interested to see which boat ...

Well after continued searching and a road trip from Bellingham Washington down the coast to San Diego California we might have a new boat! We (my girlfriend, myself, and the dog) took spring break and road tripped the Washington, Oregon, and California coast. We stopped at most of the microbreweries, we are into beer and do a lot of home brewing, camped, sat in the sun, and looked at lots of boats. I figured a road trip vacation would be a great way to look at a bunch of boats that were out of town without having to be super serious about actually buying any of them. The trip was a blast and we may have even found "my next boat"! She is a Cal 40 by the name of WINGS located in San Diego. We met up with the lady who owns the boat who gladly took us for a sail and showed us the boat. I was impressed with the condition and how together everything was. It was clearly a boat that got used regularly as everything functioned how it should. I liked that her current owner was a sailor not a boat owner... after poking around the boat and bsing with the owner I left the boat with a good feeling. We drove back up to Bellingham in two days so I had lots of time to think and compare all the boats we had looked at. By the end of the drive Wings stuck out as the boat I liked the best. I sat on all that I had learned for a while then woke up one morning and decided that I needed to proceed with Wings. After going back and forth with the owner we finally got an agreement in place. I am flying down on Thursday morning to have Wings served, sea trial, inspect and so on! I will keep you all posted as things progress

Here is the ad

http://www.yachtworl...es#.UXdcHMqKySo

#48 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Well done, she looks to be in clean original condition, not too much bling, and a name I could live with.
Hope the survey goes well.
The Cal 40 has a steel frame hidden under the mast step IIRC, good luck with that.
I like the electric panel arrangement, good use of space and great access.

#49 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Well done, she looks to be in clean original condition, not too much bling, and a name I could live with.
Hope the survey goes well.
The Cal 40 has a steel frame hidden under the mast step IIRC, good luck with that.
I like the electric panel arrangement, good use of space and great access.

Thanks,

I too like the name. I did not like it at first but I have come to like it a lot.

I am aware of the beam issue. My Cal 29 had the same thing. I inspected the beam on this boat and it looks in good shape. The current owner has cut an access panel out of the glass so the beam can be inspected.

#50 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

How about the cal 2/46 anyone have experience with one of these.

#51 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

ewalker-

That is one sweet ride. I hope you seal the deal. :)

#52 sailglobal

sailglobal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

congratulations ewalker, I reckon you've got some fun times ahead in a great yacht. She looks classic with those bronze opening ports. Well done, and if your trip north includes Newport Beach please stop by Van Diemen at NHYC to say hello.

#53 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Nice find!

Used to be a Seattle based Cal 40 named Wings, from the looks of her, I bet it's the same boat.

#54 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Look at the numbers...Odds are it is the same boat.

http://www.google.co....45580626,d.cGE

#55 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

she is the same boat. The current owner had her trucked to sandiego 5 years ago.

#56 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Well here goes! I am on the plane to San Diego. I will keep you all posted throughout the weekend.

#57 wmbwalker

wmbwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sheer lines

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Timing is everything. Evan sold his Cal 29 several days after arranging for the survey of Wings! much more fun to buy a boat when you don't have one!

#58 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Timing is everything. Evan sold his Cal 29 several days after arranging for the survey of Wings! much more fun to buy a boat when you don't have one!

Oh, I don't know about that, more boats are usually good.......

#59 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Fleet Ownership? No Thanks....

#60 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Oh, I don't know about that, more boats are usually good.......

+1

I do hope he's successful in bringing Wings back to the NW!

#61 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

Fleet Ownership? No Thanks....

Well it depends somewhat on size of vessels, and I find it handy to have both sail and power vessels........

And then rowing craft are nice to have around with a day sailor or two thrown in for fun.....

Yep, fleets can be fun.........

#62 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Fleets of boats are great! I just don't want redundant vessels on my fleet.
I got in to San Diego yesterday morning and the owner picked me up from the airport. We went over to her house to inspect sails and whatnot. There are two mains and five head sails all are serviceable with life left in them. The two spinnakers are in great shape. There are full boat covers that are in good shape. A moniter wind vaine that is brand new. Two spinnaker poles and the original boom are all in good shape.
I spent the night on the boat and am now waiting to haul and survey! More to come

#63 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Cool...Got a good feeling about this one.

#64 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Fleets of boats are great! I just don't want redundant vessels on my fleet.
I got in to San Diego yesterday morning and the owner picked me up from the airport. We went over to her house to inspect sails and whatnot. There are two mains and five head sails all are serviceable with life left in them. The two spinnakers are in great shape. There are full boat covers that are in good shape. A moniter wind vaine that is brand new. Two spinnaker poles and the original boom are all in good shape.
I spent the night on the boat and am now waiting to haul and survey! More to come

This is looking real promising Evan! I can't wait to see you and your new vessel tied up to my mooring buoy this summer, you better come by and visit us!

Cal 40's are among the best boats ever. Years ago we had a friend who cruised one all over the Pacific. We kept track of him and his family via Ham Radio.

You getting one is very cool. We are very happy for you, especially one that we know from up here. We raced against Wings in the past.

You will be way faster than your Dad's boat, good thing he is not the competitive type! (That's a subtle dig Bill!)

#65 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Has any one herd of a Cessna cabin heater model ns2700? It's a diesel forced air

#66 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

Last night I took the opportunity to go through the boat while no one was there looking over my shoulder. I dug through all the systems, every corner of the locker, the bilge and everything in the middle. I also sounded the deck from the top and bottom along with all the bulk head tabbing and inspected the steel mast step further. I only found two places where there were small amounts of bulk head tabbing that had cracked otherwise I found her to be structurally sound.

The surveyed showed up at 8 today and got right to work. He was very knowledgable and did not seem to mind me asking questions all the time. We hauled ale looked at the bottom, prop, rudder and what not. At the end of it all he found the same bulk head tabbing I had found and no other structural issues. No soft spots in the decks!!! He made a laundry list of other things to fix such as securing loose wires, replacing wing nuts on battery terminals, replacing fuel line with uscg approved line, double hose clamping everything, adding backing plates to the life line stanchions and other things along those lines.

I am very pleased with the condition of her and pending nothing catastrophic comes up I think I can call Wings my next boat!!!!

#67 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Outstanding Evan!

How are you going to get her home?

#68 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

Congratulations (pending).

I was just about to ask the same question.

#69 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Outstanding Evan!
How are you going to get her home?

I would love to sail her up the coast but Dudley's trucking is a tempting option

#70 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

Bring her home via Hawaii and the Transpac.

I'm sure you'll have a few volunteer crew from here!

:D

Edit:

Here's a link to the 2013 Site--

http://www.transpacr...nspac-2013-race

#71 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Bring her home via Hawaii and the Transpac.

I'm sure you'll have a few volunteer crew from here!

:D

Edit:

Here's a link to the 2013 Site--

http://www.transpacr...nspac-2013-race

That was talked about over several drinks... It looks like she will be trucked up at the end of this month!!

One of the things that the surveyor recommended was adding backing plates to the life line stanchions, winches, cleats and other deck fittings that see a load. He recommended using G10 FR4 glass epoxy sheet. The stuff seems cool enough to me. I saw it was used on the Silver Project for chain plates so it must be strong. What do you guys think of it? How thick would it need to be?

Thanks,

Evan

#72 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Depending on how stiff the deck is in that area: 3/16" for small pieces where deck is stiff, 1/4" for hi loads or softer deck panels. Don't neglect solid filling thru the plywood core, there's sure to be some soft core.

#73 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

With the help of Dudley I should have a boat in Bellingham on monday the 20th!!! Scheduled to be picked up in San Diego on thursday afternoon. I will keep you guys updated.

#74 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Take lots of photos.

Post them so some of us can live vicariously through your adventure.

This has been one of my favorite topics to follow.

Congratulations.

#75 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

What he said...

#76 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Will Do. I am in Seattle for the week at a Composite fabrication and repair class. The class is very aerospace orientated but it’s all applicable to marine. Maybe Wings will get some carbon... What should I build first????

#77 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Carbon fiber cup holders?

carbon-fiber-flush-mount-small-cup-websi

#78 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Surely a shiny carbon can is the first thing you want?carbon_head_large_1.jpg

#79 cmonkey

cmonkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:working on boats,spending time with my kids because I only get one chance with them.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Surely a shiny carbon can is the first thing you want?carbon_head_large_1.jpg

Now that is truly AWESOME!!!!

#80 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I like it!! West marine sells one for 11k I bet I could do better than that.
I was thinking about a carbon tiller. It might be a fun project.

#81 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

I just got a call from the trucker. He is on schedule for a pickup at Driscoll marine in shelter island tomorrow!

#82 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

The carbon crapper!

Beautiful.

#83 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

The carbon crapper!

Beautiful.

Bob,

About 15 years ago when carbon was just getting to be the cool 'next big thing' in sailboat racing, I was crewing on a Concordia 62 which had a really innovative 'modular' interior that could be stripped out and left in the 'sail container' that always followed the boat on its travels. Sort of a 'dual purpose' gran prix racer that could be quickly set up for the owner and his guest to cruise before or after a big regatta. Two head stays, one with roller furling for cruising and other well though out 'transformer' like items. Lots of clear coat carbon fiber in the interior to add to the 'cool' factor. I thought that what it really needed was a carbon fiber head in clear coat for the ultimate 'hot shit race boat' look and half jokingly offered to build the prototype for the owner. He surprised me by saying he would fund a startup for such a niche item but he soon found that he was getting reamed under the Caribbean rating rule and we ended up racing boat for boat with a Farr 40 and a Maxi that season. Things didn't go much better back in the states rating wise so he sold the 62 for a Farr 40 and the all carbon head sort of fizzled. I wanted to register the tradename as 'The Black Hole'

#84 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Ha...good one Rasp!

#85 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Today is loading day! The truck is at the yard in San Diego. The mast is coming down as we speak. wings should be on the truck a little after noon! Pics to come...

#86 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Who's putting it back together for you in Bellingham?

#87 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Question.... During the sea trial I felt that the prop was over pitched. She has a 30horse yanmar (3hm35f manufactured in 1989) diesel rated at 3200rpm to me that means I should be cruising at 2800rpm and be able to hit 3200rpm in gear. In the boats current configuration I can only hit 2400 rpm in gear. But I can get her to 4000rpm in neutral so i know the engine will get up there with no load. She has a two blade max prop so adjusting pitch is easy but I had no way of knowing what the pitch was when we hauled her. I would like to take the max prop apart while she is waiting to be launched on Monday. Can anyone give me a recommendation on prop pitch?
Thanks

#88 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Who's putting it back together for you in Bellingham?

The colony wharf in bellingham is unloading her and I will do all the labor. She should be floating in bellingham by 2:00 pm on Monday

#89 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Question.... During the sea trial I felt that the prop was over pitched. She has a 30horse yanmar (3hm35f manufactured in 1989) diesel rated at 3200rpm to me that means I should be cruising at 2800rpm and be able to hit 3200rpm in gear. In the boats current configuration I can only hit 2400 rpm in gear. But I can get her to 4000rpm in neutral so i know the engine will get up there with no load. She has a two blade max prop so adjusting pitch is easy but I had no way of knowing what the pitch was when we hauled her. I would like to take the max prop apart while she is waiting to be launched on Monday. Can anyone give me a recommendation on prop pitch?
Thanks

Call PYI. Have your engine and transmission details handy...

#90 VagabundoII

VagabundoII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

What a lovely boat! There are some fantastic photos on google images, they look rapid down wind. Condradulations my friend!

#91 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

What a lovely boat! There are some fantastic photos on google images, they look rapid down wind. Condradulations my friend!

Thank you! They are known for down wind...

I just got a call from the trucker and Wings is sitting on a trailer with the mast on the bottom of the trailer! Next stop bellingham. Wings knows I5 well as the current owner had her trucked from Seattle to SanDiego 5 years ago.

#92 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Wings is on her way!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  032.jpg   85.64K   140 downloads
  • Attached File  033.jpg   131.36K   134 downloads

#93 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nice! Looks like they get about their business in a professional manner.

#94 wmbwalker

wmbwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sheer lines

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Fantastic!! though I'm not sure it's legal having a boat nearly twice as long as ones age. Kimb's Francis Lee is way more conservative in that regard.......

#95 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

My boat's length is half my age.

I hope I live long enough to get a Cal 40....

#96 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks

Call PYI. Have your engine and transmission details handy...

PYI are based in Seattle (ok, Lynwood) and will tell you everything you need to know.  They can also refurb the prop for you - I've had mine done and well worth having them take a look.

425-355-3669.  If your boat doesn't have a PSS Shaft Seal (made by PYI as well), you should consider installing while the boat is out of the water - no drips, simple, and works great.

WWing

#97 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

The trucker just called me, Wings is in Oregon!

#98 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Fantastic!! though I'm not sure it's legal having a boat nearly twice as long as ones age. Kimb's Francis Lee is way more conservative in that regard.......

I am not that young! Now if I had gotten the big sister a Cal 48 I would be half...

#99 ewalker

ewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Status update:

Wings is passing through Tacoma! The trucker is going to get here early tomorrow so that I have some time to re pitch the prop and unload the extra gear from the boat.

Wings mast is keel stepped. It had a spartite mast boot system on her so I think I am going to stick with that. I am not very familiar with keel stepped masts so I have a few questions on the process of stepping. Do I just step the mast hook up the rigging so the mast stands where I want it to then fill the void with the new spartite polymer goo and install the boot on the outside?

Does the polymer goo add any structural value to the mast? Can I go sailing without it installed?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Evan

#100 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Status update:

Wings is passing through Tacoma! The trucker is going to get here early tomorrow so that I have some time to re pitch the prop and unload the extra gear from the boat.

Wings mast is keel stepped. It had a spartite mast boot system on her so I think I am going to stick with that. I am not very familiar with keel stepped masts so I have a few questions on the process of stepping. Do I just step the mast hook up the rigging so the mast stands where I want it to then fill the void with the new spartite polymer goo and install the boot on the outside?

Does the polymer goo add any structural value to the mast? Can I go sailing without it installed?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Evan

Evan,

Spartight replaces wedges at the partners.  I take it the old spartight had to be cut away?  There are ways to install it so that the mast can be pulled with the spartight collar in place. 

If you want to do away with it, you need to get wedges to support the spar after you have it where you want it.  http://www.rigrite.c...ast_wedges.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cal 40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users