I am looking for my next boat... I currently have a Cal 29 which I have sailed all over the Pacific Northwest and have lived aboard over the last few years. I would like a larger boat for extended cruising and to live aboard fulltime with my girlfriend (we both lived on the 29 with the bog and it would be nice to have something bigger). I may be a cruiser but a boat that sails well is very important to me, I am buying a sail boat after all! After looking at many boats and doing research I have landed on a Cal 40 as my next boat for several reasons.
1. She is pretty, I love the classic lines and overhangs. I like the large cockpit for hanging out with friends.
2. She is very simple, the sail plan is a mast head sloop and the interior is very basic yet elegant. She has no head liner and everything is accessible
3. She is affordable, you can get a great boat for under 50k
4. She sails very well (yes I know there are other boats that go up wind better).
5. She has a tiller, I love sailing tiller boats. Maybe it is from growing up sailing dinghies…
6. I like the Cal 29 so much that I can only imagine I would like the 40.
What other boats would you suggest that are in the 36-42 foot range that would be suited for my needs? I am open to any and all suggestions before I take the leap on a new boat.
I have looked at 5 or so Cal 40’s in Washington and BC over the last year but have not found the one for me yet. Does anybody know of any for sale in Washington or BC? I am not afraid of a project but would like a good starting point.