• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 fsylvestre

fsylvestre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

We have Tacktick instruments on our boat and the T122 converter. Just for fun, I would like to access my instruments data on my iPhone (to use in the iRegata app) I found that the "normal" way to do it would be to buy an iMux or other specifically designed nmea to wifi device but since it is for fun, I find the price tag too high.

Would a RS232 to wifi converter such a this (see link below) work for what I intend to do?

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3f20e95a93

Thanks for your help!!

Francois

#2 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is a DIY project, but would save you a few hundred bucks.

A friend of mine runs this on his boat and it works pretty well.

http://www.andrewhaz...-wrt54g-router/

#3 Ocean View

Ocean View

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Francois, the module on the web should do what you need - but you'll also need to buy a 12vdc to 5 or 9v dc laptop regulator to run it - an a nema box to put it in

#4 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

How about this, would that work, too?

http://www.ebay.de/i...=item3f1a40cf1a

#5 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Um, sailing :-)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I plan to build a bridge for NMEA and SeaTalk to WiFi, in fact I started making one before getting diverted with my Autopilot remote control project.
I had got the NMEA to WiFi working so was able to get GPS data from a Garmin handheld GPS to my IPad over WiFi. The only problem is that the WiFi module I have doesn't support ad hoc mode so I need to find a module that does.
If anyone is interested let me know what you'd like to be able to do and I might be inspired to do some more work on this.

#6 breezetrees

breezetrees

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I did a similar project. I wrote a webserver to deliver the nmea data, it runs on a laptop or a router. The server is written in python, so any machine with a serial port and python should be able to serve the data over the network. I have it running on an asus rt-n16 router with a usb-serial connection to deliver the nmea.

I wrote a couple of web pages that get the data out in a nice looking fashion to my phone or any web browser (I also used a nook simple touch for the e-ink display).

Here's a link:

http://www.holdentec...th-nook-display

And a video (note the arduino is simulating the NMEA data that comes from your boat normally):

#7 fsylvestre

fsylvestre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Wow this si very interesting. I will give it a try. Like I said, I just want to broadcast the NMEA sentences over the WiFi so iRegatta can use them. I just home that it will not get too technical ...

Thanks for tour help!

Francois

#8 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wow this si very interesting. I will give it a try. Like I said, I just want to broadcast the NMEA sentences over the WiFi so iRegatta can use them. I just home that it will not get too technical ...

Thanks for tour help!

Francois

IRegatta is what I was sending NMEA data to via WiFi and although I could see IRegatta connect I never got any data to display. I see there have been a few IRegatta updates since I was playing with it which have made IRegatta more tolerant of bad data so hopefully I'll have more luck the next time I get to trying.

#9 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Try "Ignore NMEA checksum” in the options to see if that helps.

#10 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Try "Ignore NMEA checksum” in the options to see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have that set but it didn't help. I could see the NMEA sentences in Safari on my IPad so I new the bridge was working and that was enough for me at the time. I want to build a standalone system so don't want to need to use a separate router, meaning I need to get a WiFi module which can act as an access point which is why I put the project on the back burner.
I'm sailing on Saturday but now feel inspired to get back to this project so I'll have a go on Sunday.

#11 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

For routers, I like the few Cradlepoint models that support Wifi as WAN, so that you can configure them to create a persistent boat network, but connect to other wifi networks like a marina or club network or phone for internet access, or use them with usb modems or (maybe not on a boat) ethernet WAN, all with automatic failover and fallback. I'm pretty sure their current gen firmware is Linux-based, but I haven't read much on what you can do outside their provided features, like the serial feed discussed in this thread. You can enable SSH terminal access. I have an older non-linux model in a box, so I can't test.

jason

#12 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

For routers, I like the few Cradlepoint models that support Wifi as WAN, so that you can configure them to create a persistent boat network, but connect to other wifi networks like a marina or club network or phone for internet access, or use them with usb modems or (maybe not on a boat) ethernet WAN, all with automatic failover and fallback. I'm pretty sure their current gen firmware is Linux-based, but I haven't read much on what you can do outside their provided features, like the serial feed discussed in this thread. You can enable SSH terminal access. I have an older non-linux model in a box, so I can't test.

jason

Isn't that overkill for passing a stream of NMEA instrument data ? What's the current drain?
You only ever propose this solution for any onboard wifi. Do you sell this?

#13 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

jason

Isn't that overkill for passing a stream of NMEA instrument data ? What's the current drain?
You only ever propose this solution for any onboard wifi. Do you sell this?

Oh, it is definitely overkill! I don't sell it. I work as a professional consultant mostly with Apple products, and have no sales commission. I would love to hear of other products that support wifi as wan! I have only used Cradlepoint routers for setting up point-to-point VPN for two of my clients. They are really solid, but again, I would love to hear of other options.

Here is where I am coming from: I volunteer for my club running our website and running the wireless network that we provide free for members and guests. I'm a total tech geek and I hate having to trade one feature to get another feature, and I like having 2.4 and 5.8 and long range capability. So if I am going to do boat data on a network, I want that network to ideally also support the internet for general usage. I also don't want to be dependent on the battery life of a tethering device like an iPad to keep the network alive. So on a cruiser/racer, I would probably spring for something like the MBR 1400. I would have a network for the boat, with its own name and password, and then at the dock or mooring, my internet would come from the free wifi network, and when out of range, I would tether from an iPad for a bit, or plug in a USB modem, or find other local wifi, all without interrupting the on-boat LAN.

Cheers,

jason

#14 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hyerstay,
So tell us, why does the OP need what you have suggested which has almost zero functionality with respect to managing various incoming NMEA feeds (e.g GPS, AIS, Instrument Data, Heading sensor, VHF/DSC), handling buffering and sentence filtering, and sending that to wifi listeners/hosts (like pc's, tablets, running apps like iNAVX, iRegatta, etc,...), and sending it back to other NMEA listeners like VHF/DSC, auto pilots, other displays showing WPT/ROUTE info.

I'd be very interested in hearing how your router handles NMEA multiplexing, also how much current draw does that box have on a 12VDC supply?

#15 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Newbie to this topic.

I sent an enquiry to a producer of a NMEA - WIFI router type thing.

once of their products sends the data via tcp/ip
the other sends it via udp.

Which is better and why?

Thanks

#16 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I'm sorry, my comments about the router and Wifi-as-WAN, failover, etc. belong in a thread for bigger cruiser/racers. I got carried away. I know the original poster has a Rocket 22, and the goal would be a low power solution, such as some battery-powered Linux-based router that could run DD-WRT. I've been one of the people on SA who have shared links for DIY serial to UDP projects with those types of routers. I'll try to do some more constructive research on this topic.

Here is a previous thread where we discussed some of the DIY stuff:

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=134749

jason

#17 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Here is a solar-powered DD-WRT project. The solar setup could probably be separated from the rest of the unit. You wouldn't have to configure the wifi the same way they did.

http://lolo.asia/occ...ble HotSpot.pdf

#18 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Newbie to this topic.

I sent an enquiry to a producer of a NMEA - WIFI router type thing.

once of their products sends the data via tcp/ip
the other sends it via udp.

Which is better and why?

Thanks

As you admitted to being a newbie, i think you are better off staying away from a DIY solution and getting a WiFi Mux that's designed to do exactly what you want done. The Shipmodul Miniplex-2 WI will do exactly what you want and it's well priced compared to others.
To link it to your Tacktick T122, run a two wire cable from Pin 2 of NMEA OUT on the T122 to the mux's Port 2 NMEA IN , socket A, and connect the second wire to pin 5 of NMEA OUT on the T122 to the mux's Port 2 NMEA IN, socket B.

The mux needs a power supply and i suggest you connect it to the same 12VDC circuit as the T122.

That's it for wiring.

Next you will need to set up the networking config for the iProducts you're using. I suggest you use the UDP layer as opposed to TCP.
UPD Is suited for broadcasting NMEA serial data, doesn't need to establish a connection to any single device, doesn't guarantee messge delivery, (i.e. it simply broadcasts whether or not a device is receiving its data), and as a result has less baggage as a transmission protocol. Unlike TCP/ip, any data error handling is done in an app and not in the transmission protocol.

For instrument data, on sailboats, there's no real issue if all the data in a NMEA sentence doesn't get received because there's a continual stream of it and your receiving app will get it moments later. Obviously your receiving app needs to handle UDP so it knows what to do with bad data. INavx and iRegatta both do.

With the miniplex-2 WI, You can use either UDP, or TCP/ip however, TCP will only allow a connection to one remote receiving device. I won't bore you with the details, but that's another reason to use UDP.

BTW, I have nothing to do with selling or representing the product, just a happy customer.

#19 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

Oops, I just noticed I quoted you and the reply included an answer re: the T 122 meant for fsylvestre.
Anyhoo... Loco, you got the UDP bit, and all of it applies to fsylvestre

#20 ShockValue

ShockValue

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

WHL and I are on the same page here. If you're new and don't want to spend hours debugging a DIY solution the Miniplex2WI is a great unit. We use it to combine streams from an old B&G H390 system, TacTik, Garmin Chartplotter, AIS, and a RayMarine auto-pilot.

The software for the unit allows you to filter the NMEA data so each device only receives what's logical. Then we broadcast the whole lot via wifi and can see it on the ipad/android devices.

#21 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Oops, I just noticed I quoted you and the reply included an answer re: the T 122 meant for fsylvestre.
Anyhoo... Loco, you got the UDP bit, and all of it applies to fsylvestre

Great thanks for the help.

#22 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

WHL and I are on the same page here. If you're new and don't want to spend hours debugging a DIY solution the Miniplex2WI is a great unit. We use it to combine streams from an old B&G H390 system, TacTik, Garmin Chartplotter, AIS, and a RayMarine auto-pilot.

The software for the unit allows you to filter the NMEA data so each device only receives what's logical. Then we broadcast the whole lot via wifi and can see it on the ipad/android devices.

Thanks also.

I was reading last night and I couldn't tell for sure If it was right for me..... But seems it is.

So many of these technical product companies owe a lot to forums like this!

#23 fsylvestre

fsylvestre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks WHL

#24 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

If you are going with dedicated boxes, the iRegatta website offers a nice list of choices to evaluate:

#25 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Very useful topic.

Bought a Miniplex2WI.

Will now use tablets and iRegatta for racing.

Personally I don't think it's going to be that long until the expensive pc software and expensive plotter type bits of kit are obsolete.

My boat came with a crappy garmin gpsmap 451. A wifi mux and android tablet (by the way anyone seen the new waterproof Sony tablet?) are about the same price.

Good times.

#26 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

I've managed at long last to get NMEA data from my Garmin GPS to iRegatta over WiFi via the protoype bridge I've built. The bridge side of it is working well and the data transmit speed is only limited by the speed that the NMEA sentences arrive at my bridge. The NMEA checksums are not set to be be ignored in the iRegatta settings, so everything is working well.
Except one thing - the bearing value in the GPRMC sentence as sent by the GPS is nothing like the actual bearing as shown on the GPS itself. That's very weird. Any advice on why that might be happening would be very welcome.

Next steps are 1) get hold of a WiFi module that can act as an access point so I can actually use it on the boat and 2) find out why my GPS doesn't send the correct bearing over NMEA!

Cheers,
Neil.

#27 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is there a standard way for MFDs to listen to NMEA over WiFi? What TCP or UDP port are they expected to be read on? Or are all of these solutions two sided, with a NMEA to WiFi bridge on either side of the WiFi?

I have a Raymarine e7d MFD that supports WiFi, but doesn't seem to support any form of NMEA over WiFi. I'm currently using a custom Netduino-based project to listen to a Davis anenometer and convert that to NMEA which the Raymarine can see and display. I'm planning on adding a second Netduino that acts as a display and it would be nice to interface it to the Raymarine over WiFi instead of running NMEA wiring all over my cockpit.

#28 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I've got the new module working - only took a couple of hours and was easy to set up. The only problem is that it is a tiny surface mount device so was a bit fiddly. Once connected to my handheld GPS via an existing RS232 to TTL circuit I've been using it talked to iRegatta straight away. No microcontroller is needed.

Next step is to build a complete system with 1 x NMEA port and 1 x Seatalk port so that data from my GPS and speed log + depth sounder can be transmitted via WiFi to my iPad. For that I'll need a microcontroller to use to multiplex the NMEA and Seatalk data.

The new module is a Wifly RN-171 if anyone is interested in doing it themselves, although I would suggest buying the Wifly RN-XV module instead. I've ordered one of those as well.

#29 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Here's the test set up in operation. GPS data from my GPSMap 62s is being sent to iRegatta.

Attached Files

#30 foeboat

foeboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Tymadman,

Great work! I really want to do this to send AIS data (NMEA sentences) to iNavX on my iPad which is looking for a wireless TCPIP or UDP connection.

So let me see if I have this right: am I right in saying that the Arduino does nothing (yet) except supply 3.3 V to the WiFly RN-VX and 5 V to the DC-to-DC converter which supplies the rs232-to-ttl chip? The GPS is putting out NMEA sentences in something like RS232 that is changed via "some chip" to TTL (with 1.2 V max?) the output of which is connected to one of the data pins on the WiFly VX. Right so far? The capacitors are to damp out noise? Could I trouble you for a circuit diagram showing what's going on on the perf board?

Questions (please): (1) Is the wifly running in ad hoc mode (default). (2) How do you find the wifly IP address -- is it DHCP or static? (3) Do you see any problems making this work with the iNavX application which looks for either a TCPIP or UDP network wifi connection.

Thanks a million for the inspiration!

David

#31 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

"Real" NEMA is RS485 or RS422 (differential, not single ended like RS232). This chip handles that nicely:
http://www.alliedele...px?SKU=70020956

You can use it just how you are using your RS232 to TTL one.

It looks like I should get a Wifly to play with. I've been wondering if/how to incorporate wifi into the boat instrumentation project that I'm working on.

#32 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

Tymadman,

Great work! I really want to do this to send AIS data (NMEA sentences) to iNavX on my iPad which is looking for a wireless TCPIP or UDP connection.

So let me see if I have this right: am I right in saying that the Arduino does nothing (yet) except supply 3.3 V to the WiFly RN-VX and 5 V to the DC-to-DC converter which supplies the rs232-to-ttl chip? The GPS is putting out NMEA sentences in something like RS232 that is changed via "some chip" to TTL (with 1.2 V max?) the output of which is connected to one of the data pins on the WiFly VX. Right so far? The capacitors are to damp out noise? Could I trouble you for a circuit diagram showing what's going on on the perf board?

Questions (please): (1) Is the wifly running in ad hoc mode (default). (2) How do you find the wifly IP address -- is it DHCP or static? (3) Do you see any problems making this work with the iNavX application which looks for either a TCPIP or UDP network wifi connection.

Thanks a million for the inspiration!

David

Hi David,

Yes, the Arduino is just supplying 3.3V to the WiFly module as a temporary power supply. I have 12V going to the rest of the circuit. A 5V regulator powers the MAX232 which does the RS232 to TTL conversion. The MAX232 requires the 4 capacitors to operate - just google for a MAX232 data sheet - it's all in there.
The "RS232" from my Garmin GPS is actually +5V and -5V levels. TTL uses 5V and 0 V.

Your questions...
1. Yes, Ad Hoc mode.
2. The WiFly has a default static IP address of 169.254.1.1 which is used in Ad Hoc mode. It can be changed if you want.
3. The WiFly module supports UDP and TCP. TCP is the default. I haven't used INavX but as long as you can set the IP address and port for INavX to look for data it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Neil.

#33 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Your questions...
1. Yes, Ad Hoc mode.
2. The WiFly has a default static IP address of 169.254.1.1 which is used in Ad Hoc mode. It can be changed if you want.
3. The WiFly module supports UDP and TCP. TCP is the default. I haven't used INavX but as long as you can set the IP address and port for INavX to look for data it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Neil.

I found that ad-hoc mode is a bit flaky with the ipad. The problem seems to be caused by the iPad going to sleep, and then the Wifly module loses connection and it takes several minutes to re-establish. Often I have to break out of iRegatta completely and restart to get the connection working.

I tried changng the WiFly code to AP mode (image 245) so that it acts like an access point and serves up DHCP. This seems more stable, but is not perfect.

#34 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Your questions...
1. Yes, Ad Hoc mode.

Cheers,
Neil.

I found that ad-hoc mode is a bit flaky with the ipad. The problem seems to be caused by the iPad going to sleep, and then the Wifly module loses connection and it takes several minutes to re-establish. Often I have to break out of iRegatta completely and restart to get the connection working.

I tried changng the WiFly code to AP mode (image 245) so that it acts like an access point and serves up DHCP. This seems more stable, but is not perfect.

I'll spend a bit of time trialling ad hoc mode before upgrading the firmware for the soft AP mode, mainly because I've now put the WiFly in with my Autopilot remote control and mounted it in the boat :-)

I have an RN-VX on its way so will play with that more but in the meantime I have a working NMEA/WiFi bridge and Autopilot remote control on the boat.

#35 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

The WiFly on my remote control board. The Nano provides the 3.3V supply to the WiFly. No antenna sorted out so signal strength is very weak but should be ok as it's mounted only about 500mm from where I have my IPad.

Attached Files

#36 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Antenna hardware could probably be robbed from an old access point - most techy folks probably have at least three generations of WiLAN boxes tossed into drawers at this point. Don't forget to set the Wifly to "external antenna" mode and "save" from the console window. Works great.

#37 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

That's a great idea about using antenna hardware from an old access point, and yes I have about 3 generations worth in a drawer. :blink:
The RN-XV turned up today so I'll start to look at a more permanent set up based on that.
I finally got round to finishing a PCB design for my remote controls so will hopefully be making my remotes with professional looking boards instead of veroboard from now on. The veroboard is fine for the finsihed product but takes a lot of time to cut to size, make breaks in the tracks, drill larger holes for the fuseholder clips and solder in jumper wires. I won't have to do any of that with the PCBs so I'll look forward to having more leisure time!

#38 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Here's the prototype of the next Madman Marine product.

It's a NMEA to Wifi bridge. I've got a couple of problems to solve (like how to mount the LEDs neatly) and a circuit board to design before I'll be happy to sell them to anyone.

It will take one NMEA serial connection in and broadcast the data over WiFi. I have one working in my boat but I've only today got round to sorting out an enclosure etc. and progressing towards a finished item.

Attached Files

#39 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Cool. Can it join an existing network?

#40 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Cool. Can it join an existing network?

It could, but I'm setting it up to be an access point which will allow up to 7 devices to connect to it. To be able for it to connect to existing networks it needs to be able to be configured (password for the network needs to be entered for example) so I'm trying to keep it simple and low cost at this stage.

#41 Wet Spreaders

Wet Spreaders

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

It occurs to me that the traditional marine instrument business could be a thing of the past very soon. All you need are either wireless sensors or sensors wired using NMEA to WIFI bridge, and add waterproof tablets for calculations and displays. The likely cost of a monochrome, e-ink (daylight readable) tablet will end up in the sub $150 range.With a copy of iRegatta, you would have a pretty decent set up for a fraction of the cost of marine display systems.

#42 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

It occurs to me that the traditional marine instrument business could be a thing of the past very soon. All you need are either wireless sensors or sensors wired using NMEA to WIFI bridge, and add waterproof tablets for calculations and displays. The likely cost of a monochrome, e-ink (daylight readable) tablet will end up in the sub $150 range.With a copy of iRegatta, you would have a pretty decent set up for a fraction of the cost of marine display systems.

I don't think dedicated marine instruments will disappear but there's definitely a growing number of people using other devices.

I use iRegatta and Navionics on my iPad and WiFi is the only way to get data to an iPad (Navionics doesn't accommodate WiFi data though).

For small boats like mine (20' trailer sailer) it is impractical to have large, expensive instruments onboard and there's nothing really available in a small form factor at low cost to suit. That of course is the whole reason why I'm developing my own devices :-)

#43 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Any update on this wifi bridge Madman? i.e. how much and can I buy one?!!

Very impressed with your work to date!

#44 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hi there,

Yes, I'm satisfied that I've got the bridge working how I want it to work. You can make one direct (TCP) connection to it although up to 7 WiFi devices can connect simultaneously to share data between themselves. So using OpenCPN as a data repeater I have had the bridge working as follows...

Serial (wired) NMEA data to bridge,
Laptop running OpenCPN with TCP connection to bridge to receive NMEA data from bridge over WiFi,
OpenCPN on laptop repeating NMEA data via UDP to bridge,
iPhone, iPad and desktop PC receiving repeated NMEA from laptop via WiFi through bridge.

It all worked well.

So while only one device can receive data directly from the bridge (which is the main purpose of the bridge) it is also possible to have other WiFi devices talking to each other through the bridge. One source of NMEA data can be streamed to up to 7 devices by using OpenCPN (or other suitable software) as a repeater.

So I'm happy with the functionality side of things.

I need to design a final printed circuit board and I'm also currently trying to figure out how to build the bridge in a form that people will be happy to have seen on their boat and when both of those are done I'll offer the bridge for sale.

#45 Tsuma

Tsuma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Tymadman, 

For boats without a laptop, could the bridge provide NMEA over WiFi stream to just one iPad (running iRegatta)?

#46 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Tymadman, 

For boats without a laptop, could the bridge provide NMEA over WiFi stream to just one iPad (running iRegatta)?

Hi there,

Yes, that is the original purpose for which I set out to build the NMEA to WiFi bridge and sending NMEA data to an iPad running iRegatta is exactly what I use the bridge for on my boat! It works well too.

In addition there is the ability to connect 6 other devices (to make 7 total) which are then able to talk to each other via WiFi.

Cheers,

Neil.

#47 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

I expect to be selling my NMEA to WiFi Bridges at the end of the month. There will be a cable-only version and a DB9 connector version so you can pick which suits your situation best. The cable-only version is slightly cheaper and both the 12V supply and NMEA connections are done via one cable for a permanent installation. The DB9 connector option will allow standard DB9 connectors to be plugged in but still has a cable for the 12V supply connections. If you put a plug on the end of the cable of the DB9 connector version you would have a portable, easily connected unit.
Pricing is on my website but they're not available for purchase through the website yet. Instead I'm taking pre-orders so that those who have been waiting won't have to wait longer than necessary.

With the US$ being higher than the Aussie$ it's a good time for those outside Australia to be buying from Australia.
So visit my website or contact me via pm to put your name on the list.
As a bonus I will give a A$10 discount to the first 5 pre-orders that come from Sailing Anarchy members.

#48 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

Awesome work madman.
My remote autopilot is a winner with the SPX5 Wheel Pilot - just got to keep the 5yo old off the remote!

Mark me down for one.

#49 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Awesome work madman.
My remote autopilot is a winner with the SPX5 Wheel Pilot - just got to keep the 5yo old off the remote!
Mark me down for one.

Thanks Rohan, I'm glad to hear the remote is being put to good use! Can I now claim that it's childproof? :-)

Oh, and you're on the list - thanks.

#50 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Reading through my earlier posts I have realised that I may not have explained things clearly enough, so just in case here is a list of what the NMEA to WiFi bridge can do...

- receive data from one NMEA source (talker), for example a chart plotter or handheld GPS.
- send NMEA data received over WiFi to one NMEA receiver (listener) which can be the same device as the NMEA talker or a different device. (For example, autopilot control data from OpenCPN to your autopilot).
- allow up to 7 devices to connect to it via WiFi (the bridge is a WiFi access point)
- one device can make a TCP connection if necessary
- all 7 connected devices can receive the same NMEA data at the same time via UDP (so you can view the data on your laptop, iPad and iPhone and 4 other devices all at the same time)
- the connected devices can also communicate with each other (with suitable software/apps)

#51 J28

J28

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

I built an RS-232 to wifi converter using the module mentioned in the post below and a LM2596 DC to DC buck converter (photo below).  It works great!  It provides a local wifi network on the boat which we use to connect our Raymarine instruments to iRegatta on iPhone and iPad.  Not much chance to use it as family medical issues kept us from using the boat much this season. 

41nf1Dhkg7L._SY300_.jpg

We have Tacktick instruments on our boat and the T122 converter. Just for fun, I would like to access my instruments data on my iPhone (to use in the iRegata app) I found that the "normal" way to do it would be to buy an iMux or other specifically designed nmea to wifi device but since it is for fun, I find the price tag too high.

Would a RS232 to wifi converter such a this (see link below) work for what I intend to do?

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3f20e95a93

Thanks for your help!!

Francois

#52 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

As a bonus I will give a A$10 discount to the first 5 pre-orders that come from Sailing Anarchy members.

The first 5 pre-orders came in much quicker than I expected so I'm happy to extend the discount for another 5 pre-orders as I know what's it's like to miss out on something if you haven't checked the forum for a day or two :-)

Attached Files

#53 Nauticloud

Nauticloud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Check out our offering for extender/repeater:
Http://store.nauticloud.com

#54 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm now shipping my NMEA to WiFi Bridges to the Sailing Anarchy people who pre-ordered and hope to be able to offer the Bridges for sale on my website in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Parts are taking longer than usual to be delivered to me due to the Christmas season so things are frustratingly slow at present.

If you want to place an order now but don't mind waiting a couple of weeks before I'll be able to put one in the post, send me a pm or an email to sales@madmanmarine.com.

#55 gjbike

gjbike

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:golf, photography,sailing

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

I have been usign this for several years without issues. Connects to  my Tacktick  NMEA wireless transmitter and works with my iRegata on  my iPhone. No PC needed.

NMEA_2_WIFI_2.jpg

#56 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

My NMEA to WiFi Bridge only has a single 4800 baud NMEA connection so can't be used for a direct AIS connection like the one shown in the previous post. Mind you, my Bridge only costs 1/3 of the price of the one shown in the previous post :-)

#57 jkar

jkar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Looks great.  I am going to order one in the next week or so.  Question, why wouldn't I just want the version with just the cable?  Is there a benefit to both connections?  I also have the Comar listed above.  It is flaky.  I am really looking forward to yours.  Now if you or someone else can write or port over an app to the Kindle, it would be awesome!  I am running iNavX & iRegatta on my iPad now.  I just bought the MID WiFi app for the iPad and plan on mounting to the mast as they have in the video, but I really like what Mike did with his ASUS router and a Kindle.  I can handle rooting a device, but can't code and really love the idea of $50 displays (Kindle Touch) versus $500 iPads.  I had to say that Kindle is "disposable", but I wouldn't kill the crew if they dropped/lost/broke one of those.

#58 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hi jkar,

Most people have been buying the cable version to make a permanent installation. Having the D9 connector just means you can quickly connect and disconnect different devices.
I have put a cigarette lighter plug on my NTWB1as well as the D9 conector so it is completely portable and can be taken from boat to boat or even used in the car. Of course the NMEA devices need a D9 connector wired to be able to connect to.

I cant help with the Kindle I'm afraid but one of my future projects will use an E Ink display.

#59 Skalpel

Skalpel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Installed a Madman NTWB1 last week, coupled to a Raymarine C80.

Put it inside cockpit table, very dry area with DC power.

C80 is mounted at rear of table so minimal cable runs.

Works perfectly with iRegatta to 2 phones and 1 pad.

But phones and pads are virtually impossible to see in daylight.

So, Neil, get that future E Ink project underway !!!

S

#60 Snore

Snore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Got my NTWB1 working this weekend. With Neil's help reconfigured it to 38400 baud and was able to WiFi AIS to my iPad. The plan is to use the iPad in limited visibility situations since its screen is larger than my Garmin 440's.

The NTWB1 is mounted in the cabin behind the instruments.

#61 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Good work Skalpel and Snore!

I think I'll offer the NTWB1 configured for either 4800 or 38400 baud and will look at a future model with the ability to select the baud rate with a switch.

In the mean time if any sailing anarchists purchase a NTWB1 from my website just send a pm or an email to let me know what baud rate you need.

#62 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I've added the 38400 option to the 'shop' part of my website so now you can just select either 4800 or 38400 there.

#63 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Been watching this for a while, and I've got a few questions about the wireless autopilot, the NMEA Wifi, and your new Isteer  Manman.  So I was thinking about getting both your wireless auto and getting your Nmea Wifi,First here is my setup

• Bene First 32
  • ST2000 auto
  • T60 NMEA 0183 wind/kt log/depth.  I've attached Seatalk out from ST60's to ST2000 auto for wind data. Works great.
  • GPS is Garmin 62 (I think) handheld with marine charts.  Tried to use garmin NMEA out to autopilot, no luck, won't work, won't connect.  GPS is down-level firmware, but I don't have the chart data backed up, so I don't want to upgrade...I digress.  need sort this out.  I'm actually thinking about getting the B&G Zeus Touch 7 (now that the Zeus2 is out, this unit is much cheaper, and superbright in daylight)
  • I use IStuff, and have played with MotionX, Garmin BlueChart for Iphone.  I have trouble seeing Ipad and Iphone on deck....Have played with OpenCPN and like it, eventually might put a laptop on board with this.

So the question is this, will your Isteer use your Nmea Wifi stuff?  This would eliminate the need for having to do the Wireless autopilot with keyfob, but would be a much more elegant solution.  I like the idea of the Wifi with NMEA and control with Iphone rather than a keyfob, AND have the NMEA data for use with Iregatta or others....

BTW, I really like the work you have done with these products.

#64 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hello Art,

Thanks for the kind words.

Have you used the Garmin power and data cable with your GPSMap 62? I have the 62s and the NMEA output worked fine using the proprietary power and data cable - until I damaged the USB connector on it that is (must get round to fixing that one day).

The iSteer remotes will have an iPhone only version and an iPhone + fobs version. The fobs will still be handy if the conditions are too poor to have an iPhone or iPad on deck or if the iPhone or iPad battery is flat. The iPhone connection to the remote control will be with WiFi.

I have been experimenting with a separate NMEA port for the iSteer remotes and have a working prototype but don't want to make any promises at this stage. The autopilot control is the main priority but having the WiFi module already there makes adding an NMEA port such an obvious thing to do. It also lends itself to SeaTalk to NMEA conversion/bridging seeing how the remote control uses SeaTalk.

#65 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi Neil,

so I used the proprietitary Power/Data cable on the Garmin to the ST2000, setup the Garmin to NMEA and 4800, no luck.  I did notice the Garmin has a firmware update that covers NMEA changes that I don't have on...so that could be it.

I attached the ST60's to the Number 4 (Seatalk) and the Garmin I tried the 5 and 6 both ways, and the wind data from Seatalk works great, but no data coming from the Garmin....I think it's the firmware.

Attached Files

#66 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

The connections you need are GPSMap Power/Data cable yellow wire to ST2000 pin 6 and GPSMap Power/Data cable green wire to ST2000 pin 5. You also need the red and black wires of the GPSMap Power/Data cable connected to 12V and 0V respectively or else you won't get any data from the cable. If you've been connecting the NMEA wires only without connecting power to the cable then that will be your problem.
You also need to set NMEA in/out in the GPSMap 62's settings.
Hopefully that will get you going.

#67 jacrider

jacrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

Madman:  Have you played or tested this with the Android version of iRegatta?  This looks fantastic by the way.

Thanks.

#68 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Thanks Jacrider, I've only recently aquired an Android device and haven't installed iRegatta yet. My NTWB1 WiFi Bridge certainly works with other apps on my Android tablet though and I have no reason to think that iRegatta wouldn't work.
I'm currently working on a project with the creator of iRegatta so maybe he'll give me an Android version of iRegatta to use for testing ;-)

#69 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Thanks Jacrider, I've only recently aquired an Android device and haven't installed iRegatta yet. My NTWB1 WiFi Bridge certainly works with other apps on my Android tablet though and I have no reason to think that iRegatta wouldn't work.
I'm currently working on a project with the creator of iRegatta so maybe he'll give me an Android version of iRegatta to use for testing ;-)

#70 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

#71 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

The connections you need are GPSMap Power/Data cable yellow wire to ST2000 pin 6 and GPSMap Power/Data cable green wire to ST2000 pin 5. You also need the red and black wires of the GPSMap Power/Data cable connected to 12V and 0V respectively or else you won't get any data from the cable. If you've been connecting the NMEA wires only without connecting power to the cable then that will be your problem.
You also need to set NMEA in/out in the GPSMap 62's settings.
Hopefully that will get you going.

thanks for the tuneup tips.

So I did all those things....

Power from the GPSMap cable to 12v and 0v, green and yellow wires to 5 and 6 (tried both ways) and configured NMEA in/out settings in the GPSMaps 62's setting.....then setup a course with wpt and activated, then tried to connect to ST2000.....

No luck....

Keep in mind, it's been around ~8 years that the firmware has not been updated on that handheld......

#72 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hi Art,

How are you checking that the NMEA data is / isn't being received by the ST2000? Are you putting the ST2000 into Track mode?

#73 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

yep, pressing the two buttons on the ST2000 and putting into track mode, following the manuals instructions....won't go into track mode.  Works fine in Wind mode....

#74 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

yep, pressing the two buttons on the ST2000 and putting into track mode, following the manuals instructions....won't go into track mode.  Works fine in Wind mode....

Do you have a route enabled on the Garmin? Unless there is a waypoint destination, the a/p will not go into track mode.

#75 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

yep, I had a route enabled, with Cross Track Error less than .25 nm.  following the book....I really think it's the firmware, so I have to bite the bullet and figure out how to get my maps back after the upgrade....I don't have the map CD anymore from Garmin, or have the maps backup on PC....

#76 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

yep, I had a route enabled, with Cross Track Error less than .25 nm.  following the book....I really think it's the firmware, so I have to bite the bullet and figure out how to get my maps back after the upgrade....I don't have the map CD anymore from Garmin, or have the maps backup on PC....

Garmin claims their software webupdater does not affect maps. I have never had an issue updating my 276C, although my charts are on a removable data card...

#77 Tymadman

Tymadman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hi Art,

The S2000 should go into Track mode whether it is receiving NMEA data or not. You need to put the ST2000 into Auto mode first then briefly press the +10 and -10 buttons together. The 'A' on the display will change to a lower case 't' to indicate Track mode.
When in Track mode the ST2000 will alarm after a few seconds if it's not receiving NMEA navigation data.

#78 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

ok,

I'm going to try it all again this weekend.  I swear that's the way I was trying it last;

1. GPSMap waypoint and setup to nav to.
  2.  ST2000 in auto, then pressing +10 -10 together. 
  3. I would only hear a beep, and the A would stay on , not go to a lower case "t". 

So I've never had it go into "t" mode....hmmmmm

#79 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

I have the Garmin GPSMap 60CS (old, 10 years or more).

On Garmins website for firmware, its says the current one is 4.20 from 2007, and one of the updates says this:

Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70

added advanced NMEA support settings to support certain marine autoplot units

this I why I'm thinking its firmware.  Ishmael may be right about the firmware not destroying the charts (which are downloaded, not removable data card)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users