• Please log in to reply
3097 replies to this topic

#1 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

I've been following the Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out and have found that a number of cool boats end up on this thread - by accident or design (so to speak).

I thought it might be time to start a dedicated thread for cool boat designs as well.

Of course 'cool' is very much a subjective construct, so I guess some Uglyboats will end up in the Coolboat thread as well. Only fair I guess.

I've long been an admirer of traditional wooden boats and so here's a design by Canadian, Paul Gartside of a 30 foot Cutter, which I dream of having built, someday. Could get a whole lot of modern, light displacement flyer for the same outlay I guess - but it just wouldn't tug at my heartstrings in quite the same way.

She carries a lot of rag for her displacement. Paul has given her a bit more beam in an updated version of the design, so she stands up a bit better in a breeze apparently.

Attached Files

#2 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

Cute boat, I like it. Paul is a good guy, I have one of his skiffs and I love it.

#3 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Great idea for a thread, sailby. i agree with you that there is likely gonna be some overlap between coolboats and uglyboats.
This thread needs a wall.
Posted Image

#4 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

All of Bolger's come over by default.

#5 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Merlin, rating unknown

Attached Files

#6 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

We need the Hamster to go with our Cool Wall.............

#7 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

but then we'll just have Bob putting boats where he wants them high on the wall where our resident midget can't reach.

#8 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

but then we'll just have Bob putting boats where he wants them high on the wall where our resident midget can't reach.

Oh yeah, that's a risk.......but Bob seems to know what's cool and what's not cool, so maybe it will turn out OK after all...........

#9 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Dick Newick's "Spark" design belongs on any cool wall, assuming multihulls are allowed. This is the best picture I can quickly find, maybe Jim Conlin will post more.

Attached File  spark1.jpeg   93.29K   229 downloads

#10 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Multihulls are most definitely allowed. Check out this VERY cool beauty. Soon to be be flying on SFC Bay.

Attached Files

#11 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Dick Newick's "Spark" design belongs on any cool wall, assuming multihulls are allowed. This is the best picture I can quickly find, maybe Jim Conlin will post more.

Attached File  spark1.jpeg   93.29K   229 downloads

Nice boat!

#12 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Cute boat, I like it. Paul is a good guy, I have one of his skiffs and I love it.

Yes. He's a very talented traditional boat designer. I love his work. He has a great web site too. Definitely worth a browse. Check it out if you haven't already: http://www.gartsideboats.com

#13 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

I saw this really cool boat anchored off Montague Harbour, all his anchors are painted red. ;)

Posted Image

They were good enough to not run their generator while we were anchored close.

#14 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

I saw this really cool boat anchored off Montague Harbour, all his anchors are painted red. ;)

Posted Image

They were good enough to not run their generator while we were anchored close.

Ha, ha. Thanks, Ishmael. This boat is exactly the reason I started this Coolboat thread. She ended up in the Uglyboat thread, I think because a point was made about slack rigging. But, I think we all agree Cresset (launched in 1929, apparently) is a sweet sloop (or is that cutter?).

#15 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

If the slack rigging remark is about the jib, thats what you do. Its a flying jib on a wire or spectra luff, probably on a wykham martin or modern version furler of the same type( like a code zero furler). Especially if its the old type which it may well be, they furl better if you dump a little halyard. And at rest ... well its just like slacking off backstay on a modern fractional, takes all the fore and aft rig tension out. Old boats like that , it gives the garboard some time to straighten up.

#16 Merrill Levi

Merrill Levi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

But, I think we all agree Cresset (launched in 1929, apparently) is a sweet sloop (or is that cutter?).

I vote for Cutter - position of mast in the sail plan

#17 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Here's another Coolboat. The New Zealand 'P Class' designed in 1923. I pestered my parents until I got one of these when I was 13 or so (a few years ago now) and learnt to sail in her. Spindrift Spy she was called. I forget her sail number, but she is probably still sailing around NZ somewhere.

Many young Kiwi sailors invest a couple of seasons racing these great little boats, before stepping up to other classes.

Big rig for a small boat (Length: 7' 7" - Sail Area: 45 sq ft ), which is more than a handful downwind in a blow.

Don't know who the young guy is, sailing this 'P', but maybe he's on an America's Cup boat by now!

Attached Files

#18 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

I like quality antiques. I really like CRESSET.

As for "antique reproductions"? They never work if you know what you are looking at.

I really like SPARK.

#19 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

As for "antique reproductions"? They never work if you know what you are looking at.

I really like SPARK.

When it comes to furniture, I prefer genuine antiques over reproductions. When it comes to classic wooden boats, not so much.

#20 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have to go with the Bull 7000 - which could frankly fit in the ugly thread too! I have always thought this boat had one of the most clever interior arrangements out there and it looks pretty fun to sail too. I have some reservations about the companionway setup but one of these did the Oregon Offshore a couple times so it must be sort of safe-ish.

This boat gets cooler the more you look at the details - the outboard launching apparatus, the way the interior is integrated with the companionways, the cockpit layout, the 'bullhorns', its all pretty tricky stuff.

Posted Image

http://www.nauticalt...m/5879-avis-sur

#21 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Schnick:
My physical therapist and pal John Bonica in Portland owns Bull or did own it until recently. He loved that boat. But, his knees got the better of him and he bought a powerboat last year. Just sold his Nordic 44 that he had owned for 20 years. He brought his Nordic up the coast every summer.

#22 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've really been wanting to take a sailing canoe for a ride. Here's a d-class sailing canoe.

Posted Image

And a PK520
Posted Image

#23 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Those are beautiful. Not sure I have ever seen one before. I do know International sailing canoes but not this type.
I really like that PK520.
They look like mini-SLIVERS. This is the old rig, now obsolete, but you get the idea.

Attached Files

#24 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've really been wanting to take a sailing canoe for a ride. Here's a d-class sailing canoe.

Posted Image

And a PK520
Posted Image

Nice. For some reason though, I keep thinking there should be two of them bolted together, or at least an outrigger or two. I imagine they'd get along pretty well though.

#25 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Those are beautiful. Not sure I have ever seen one before. I do know International sailing canoes but not this type.
I really like that PK520.
They look like mini-SLIVERS. This is the old rig, now obsolete, but you get the idea.

I am with Bob, I REALLY like that PK520. Very good looker!

Sliver's new Farr 40 rig (this is the final drawing as we already have the rig stored away waiting for the boat.)

Attached Files

#26 TheBSJ

TheBSJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Rowing, Cycling, etc...

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just this one: http://tom-gruitt.ph...000i7zNUzfIYF4/

Attached Files

#27 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Kim:
Look, SWMBO would not even notice another boat in your shed once you get the SLIVER. She's probably lost count already. Tell her it's the prototype.
I think the PK530 would look very good on you.

One of the marketing decisions of the NAIM hi-fi gear company was to make all the plain, black boxes look almost identical. So you can upgrade components and your wife never sees anything different on the shelf. She won;t remember if there were six black boxes on the shelf or five.

#28 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Kim:
Look, SWMBO would not even notice another boat in your shed once you get the SLIVER. She's probably lost count already. Tell her it's the prototype.
I think the PK530 would look very good on you.

One of the marketing decisions of the NAIM hi-fi gear company was to make all the plain, black boxes look almost identical. So you can upgrade components and your wife never sees anything different on the shelf. She won;t remember if there were six black boxes on the shelf or five.

If this does not work can I come live with you??

#29 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Live on the Sliver, dude :) . Its an old respected tradition when it doesn't work out, as several folks here can attest.

#30 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yeah Dude.
Tell her this:
"Look Honey, how could I possibly take you and the boys (be sure to throw "and the boys" in) out on the SLIVER and know you were safe just because Bob Perry says you'll be safe? Really! I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine. I doing this for you,,,Honey,,,,and the boys. I have to."

Seth:
Ruby is home and looking beautiful. All is well with the world again.

#31 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Tell her this:
I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine.

Well! get drawing Bob! ... a 31' mini sliver.

engineless daysailor. A modern day Rozinante?

The no 1 criteria is for it to have drop dead gorgeous lines.

#32 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Tell her this:
I have to prove the concept with the prototype to make sure that you are all going to be fine.

why not 41 feet?

#33 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Tell her this:

why not 41 feet?

No reason.. I said 31' because it was half.

Now that you suggest it, Kim, I think 41' is a better length. The advantage of the fine shape is that the boat will be fast without the rig being too powerful. It could still be engineless...

#34 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Tell her this:

why not 41 feet?

No reason.. I said 31' because it was half.

Now that you suggest it, Kim, I think 41' is a better length. The advantage of the fine shape is that the boat will be fast without the rig being too powerful. It could still be engineless...

Yeah, displace about 5000 pounds +/-??

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

I'm on it. Just as soon as I get back from Tai Chi.
I think the 31' version is best. We need avoid mission creep. Nice big rig. No engine. None.

#36 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

I think the 31' version is best. We need avoid mission creep. Nice big rig. No engine. None.

Plenty of keel too.

I reckon if she is going to be 31' ... around 4,500 lbs displacement? 2100lbs of ballast? strip planked/epoxy?

#37 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Plenty of keel too.

I reckon if she is going to be 31' ... around 4,500 lbs displacement? 2100lbs of ballast? strip planked/epoxy?

Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"
LWL 27'6" (we can do better than that!)
Beam 6'7"
Draft 6'0"
Disp 6390
Ballast 4010

#38 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Plenty of keel too.

Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"
Beam 6'7"
Draft 6'0"
Disp 6390
Ballast 4010

I just had a good read about the Splinter although I couldn't find the full specs on her. I'm surprised they can get that amount of ballast into that displacement but then she is narrow.

I think Bob will probably put a better keel and rudder on the mini Sliver than the Splinter got.

The Splinter has mucho overhangs. We'll have to keep Hung and Beau away if we're to keep some waterline.

#39 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

Plenty of keel too.

Nantucket Splinter Specs

LOA 38'6"
Beam 6'7"
Draft 6'0"
Disp 6390
Ballast 4010

I just had a good read about the Splinter although I couldn't find the full specs on her. I'm surprised they can get that amount of ballast into that displacement but then she is narrow.

I think Bob will probably put a better keel and rudder on the mini Sliver than the Splinter got.

The Splinter has mucho overhangs. We'll have to keep Hung and Beau away if we're to keep some waterline.

PM me your e-mail address Tricky and I will send you the stuff Bruce King gave me on the Splinter. (I tried to buy her once, good thing it did not go through otherwise there would not be a Sliver....)

#40 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Channeling LFH.

Oars? I think LFH mentioned oars (or an oar?) for Rozinante.

JImmy Buffet has a story about why that always take a heap of rations with them when they go sailing on account of how he and some other folks got becalmed in Nantucket Sound for three days and were near dead from starvation before the wind came up and they could finish their voyage over to Martha's Vinyard.

#41 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Wasting away in Martharitaville?

#42 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

I've always kinda thought this one was good looking for a variety of reasons.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6ga7rTzgSlI

#43 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Tell her this:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Bob, we're getting a bit too close to my design criteria here now. Wait, I'll take a look at your first sketches......

#44 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6ga7rTzgSlI

Another cool boat!

#45 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Anyone remember Methersgate, who used to post here? I think he was driven off by the DT Drivel, but he had a really cool channel cutter type, and was a good, good guy.

#46 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Nice graphics.How is it applied?

#47 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Semi:
I don't need to fucking channel anybody.
Channel this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ha ha

He may whisper in your ear when you don't expect it. ;)

#48 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Cool video, although I had to turn the music off.. blech.

#49 TheBSJ

TheBSJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Rowing, Cycling, etc...

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Nah, if it was graphics, then this would just be a quirky boat....

That's the real bits of timber you can see. It was built as part of the Cultural Olympiad for the London 2012 Games. Over 1200 different donations of timber were incorporated into the design as the build went along. Bits of a Jimi Hendrix guitar, HMS Ark Royal, Victory, the Mary Rose, Lively Lady, the Bank of England, plus loads of personal bits and pieces. You can see the hockey sticks and guitars quite easily.

Oh, and it's hit 18 knots downwind....

More here if you are interested - www.theboatproject.com

#50 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

The Tejst in the video linked by Veeger is a Swedish D-class sailing canoe built in a fairly modern way. For looks i prefer wooden canoes over glass. The PK520 is boatbuilder Erkki Ruokonens version of some old Finnish sailing canoe...

Here's another double-ender, the Knud Reimers designed Tumlare.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Love the way "Tumalren to be found into" lists Australia and Tasmania as separate countries.

#52 whinging pom

whinging pom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Someone described cruising in a Tumlaren as:

One in luxury
Two in hardship
Three in conflict
Four in bitter emnity.

You wear a boat like this, not sail in it!

#53 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I guess that's why Reimers also designed the Stortumlare which is a larger version of the boat. Adlard Coles won the transatlantic race in 1950 with one.

#54 ahl

ahl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

There is a Tumlaren for sale up in Maine:

Posted Image

http://maine.craigsl...3633428938.html

$5900

Who was it that called this design a "half tide rock"?

#55 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Semi:
I deleted my rude post from last night. re: channeling. Sorry about that.

I've been studying the work of the great designers since I was 14 years old. Can't imagine anyone has done any more of that than I have. So while I may not like the idea of needing to channel anyone the fact is that I probably do it as a reflex now, like blinking, I'm not even aware that I do it. But I'm sure I do. I bristle at the idea that I need to copy anyone and the thought of designimng "reproductions" of traditional boats is not appealing to me. I'd like to think my work is original while acknowledging the fact that I have not originated any single feature. Beethoven loved Bach but you don't hear Bach when you hear Beethoven. I don't. Maybe Paul does. My idea of a "traditional" Perry design is NIGHT RUNNER or the SLIVER.

I've been aware of the Tumlaren for longer than I can remember. It's one of those boats that just wedged itself into my brain and got stuck there. Like a barbed hook. The proportions are just so perfect. Who cares if it is not ergonomic by today's standards. It's testimony to why you can't do accurate reproductions today. Today's sailors want more and are happy to give up aesthetics in order to get it. Pity. Kim is an exception. I had to lean on Kim a bit to get some concessions to comfort. I felt I was making decisions that would benefit long term ownership of the boat and Kim's boys ownership down the road.

#56 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Today's sailors want more and are happy to give up aesthetics in order to get it. Pity. Kim is an exception. I had to lean on Kim a bit to get some concessions to comfort. I felt I was making decisions that would benefit long term ownership of the boat and Kim's boys ownership down the road.

Thank goodness you did Bob! I owe you for that one.

I have decided you were right: the pure pleasure of sailing does need to come with some comfort.

#57 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Kim:
I think that while the cabin trunk on the SLIVER is practical it also adds some aesthetic interest to the boat. It's just another piece of the boat that can be styled.

#58 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

That's the real bits of timber you can see. It was built as part of the Cultural Olympiad for the London 2012 Games. Over 1200 different donations of timber were incorporated into the design as the build went along. Bits of a Jimi Hendrix guitar, HMS Ark Royal, Victory, the Mary Rose, Lively Lady, the Bank of England, plus loads of personal bits and pieces. You can see the hockey sticks and guitars quite easily.

Thanks for the link, TheBSJ. That's a pretty fascinating build story. A tribute to marquetry and the wonders of epoxy resin. A very unique looking boat.

#59 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image

$5900

Now that is a fine looking boat.

#60 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Kim:
I think that while the cabin trunk on the SLIVER is practical it also adds some aesthetic interest to the boat. It's just another piece of the boat that can be styled.

I think some of the hyper-expensive, 40-ft daysailors look strange with only a low cuddy. It gives them a look you'd expect on a boat half as long.

A problem with the Tumlaren and Dragon and similar for my area is that they were designed for windy areas and don't have enough sail for WLIS. Luders designed the L16 for us.

Posted Image

Picture from http://www.l16.org/

#61 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Love the way "Tumalren to be found into" lists Australia and Tasmania as separate countries.

Don't most Queenslanders believe that?

#62 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I had a read through of this thread and I realise its hard to post a cool boat without going straight back to the standards ... Dorade, Concordia yawl, metre boats, Malabar schooner, Pilot cutters etc etc.

Nigel Irens is always enigmatic in switching between designing high performance multis and retro pilot cutters. He designed a schooner Maggie B built by Covey Island Boatworks which was destroyed by fire in the boat shed (after it had circumnavigated) The owner had Irens design him another schooner to be built by Covey Island and this is the boat they came up with. Quite a `fusion' of tradional and modern. I like it's originality though I'd like to see it in the flesh before I could fall in love..

Attached Files

#63 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

They would believe anything

#64 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

They would believe anything

Funny how Joh Bjelke moved to another country in his retirement. ^_^

#65 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Tricky:
I like that Irens design. Can't say it's beautiful but it's not ugly either. I like the functionality of the look and the integration of some traditional styling elements. The cabin trunk is a bit blocky and boring.
Hell, I love just about anything with an outboard rudder.

#66 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have admired this little guy for a long time. I can't really call her cool and cute is for babies and puppies,but I think it's one sweet little boat.15' Designed by K. Agge Nielsen, in '35,worked at SS at the time. I really like a lot of his designs. Plus Bob it's got an outboard rudder.
Attached File  Primrose_4.jpg   504.01K   106 downloads

Attached File  34ynz9f.jpg   10.91K   133 downloads

#67 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

I have admired this little guy for a long time. I can't really call her cool and cute is for babies and puppies,but I think it's one sweet little boat.15' Designed by K. Agge Nielsen, in '35,worked at SS at the time. I really like a lot of his designs. Plus Bob it's got an outboard rudder.

What a sweet little girl! I always did like his designs!

#68 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

I had a read through of this thread and I realise its hard to post a cool boat without going straight back to the standards ... Dorade, Concordia yawl, metre boats, Malabar schooner, Pilot cutters etc etc.

Nigel Irens is always enigmatic in switching between designing high performance multis and retro pilot cutters. He designed a schooner Maggie B built by Covey Island Boatworks which was destroyed by fire in the boat shed (after it had circumnavigated) The owner had Irens design him another schooner to be built by Covey Island and this is the boat they came up with. Quite a `fusion' of tradional and modern. I like it's originality though I'd like to see it in the flesh before I could fall in love..

I saw it in the flesh last summer, and I fell in love. I think you would like it as well Bob. The "working schooner" touches are great. Here she is in the Bras d'Or Lakes. The photo may be silly big.

Attached File  Farfarer, etc..jpg   127.79K   175 downloads

#69 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

One more from Nielsen.

Attached File  DSC_3760_4.jpg   85K   59 downloads

#70 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

I know you all have seen this one but what is a cool boat thread without it. :)

Attached File  perry_45_rendering(500).jpg   34.72K   153 downloads

#71 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Tancook testifyin':

Whalers:

Posted Image

Schooners;

Posted Image

Small island, big influence.

#72 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I love my Baba 35 but I'd love this too. It's like what would happen if my 35 evolved.

#73 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'm a sucker for just about anything that K. Aage did. I pretty much owe my canoe sterns to his work. Thanks Aage you crotchity old SOB.

Victor:
aw shucks, you didn;t need to do that. But since you did and since I can be my own worst critic I will say that I think that boat looks great. All it needs is a client. Do you know in Tai Chi there is a warm up excersize called "Pat the back"?
So now that I am immersed in Tai Chi I can pat my own back with amazing dexterity.
Whatch me now,,,,,,hey, pat pat,,,just a little bit lower, pat pat

#74 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

NIGHT RUNNER : When I moved to the PNW I trained up a fresh new crew for my J/35. None of the new crew had even sailed before so I'm talking really fresh! On one of our first races, I was explaining PHRF and stuff to them. It was the Anacortes to Hien bank race. Well, here's this old wooden traditional cruising boat out there getting ready to race with us. I used it as an example.

"See that old wooden boat over there? The one called Night Runner, You'll soon see how we can just run right away from something like that. No comparison at all." They all oh'd and ah'd at this, 'Cause the skipper knew his sailing.

Then the race started.

We spent most of the day NOT running away from the fastest wooden crab crusher I'd ever seen! It was like being chased by an angry bear! I'd thought I'd completely lost my touch with sailing. Being so shook I never noticed that no one else was running away from that old wooden boat either.

It wasn't 'till the races results came out that I found that we rated almost even under PHRF. When I questioned the locals about Night Runner they all had a good laugh at me.

Live and learn.

-jim lee

#75 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Jim:
That's NIGHT CRAWLER to you please.

One year we were first PHRF boat, boat for boat around the Swiftsure lightship. My watch. Yippee.

#76 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

She's interesting alright. Not exactly pretty though IMO. That rig is something similar to what I imagine we might see on the AC72's (if the rules were relaxed) but replacing soft sails with wings. The rudder stock looks a might chunky - but that's just being picky.

#77 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Tancook testifyin':

Whalers:

Posted Image

Schooners;

Posted Image

Small island, big influence.

Very nice indeed.

#78 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I love my Baba 35 but I'd love this too. It's like what would happen if my 35 evolved.

:)

#79 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,680 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

I like the idea of the cool boat thread, but the Ugly boat thread has that bit of disagreement, a little conflict, to make it interesting. It's easy to agree on something that's pretty. Some of the ugly ones have taught me a bit about yacht design that I didn't know of before. And some boats are fun to laugh at :)

#80 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

I like the idea of the cool boat thread, but the Ugly boat thread has that bit of disagreement, a little conflict, to make it interesting. It's easy to agree on something that's pretty. Some of the ugly ones have taught me a bit about yacht design that I didn't know of before. And some boats are fun to laugh at :)

Seems to be quite a lot of cross-over, 'Occams Razor'. Which is a good thing. Take the Maltese Falcon below, for example. She appears in both threads although definitely should be in this one, IMO.

Attached Files

#81 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Pretty ain't necessarily cool.
And cool ain't necessarily pretty.
There will be edginess, tension and conflict in the thread. It just hasn't gotten there yet.
But, just to stir the pot....
I'd be all over one of these cool ugly bastards if i could find one for shortish money:
I think a dual station flying bridge sail trawler makes a whole lot of sense.
Posted Image

#82 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,206 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Here's a heaping helping of cool or ugly to admire, but since I put it here, let's focus on the cool.

"Finger Mullet" currently being raced by DancesWithMullet in the Everglades Challenge

Posted Image

#83 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Posted Image

$5900

Now that is a fine looking boat.

that is beautiful. How much more needs to be invested? Any wood boat experts? My wife is gonna be pissed. "But I'm restoring it for my Dad." Do you think that will work?

#84 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

There is something seriously elegant about that rudder! Fits that a chick is driving with all them mazing curves going on :)

#85 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Seems to be quite a lot of cross-over, 'Occams Razor'. Which is a good thing. Take the Maltese Falcon below, for example. She appears in both threads although definitely should be in this one, IMO.

How do I get a full size pic of that shot, ?

#86 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

I really like SPARK.

Waaah! That means you won't like this, which while not a reproduction, was not exactly cutting edge when built - launched 1999.

Attached Files

#87 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Any mention of Maltese Falcon deserves this shot of her crew hard at work during a Transatlantic Race a couple of summers ago.

Any boat that can ocean race like this deserves a spot on the cool wall.

Attached File  Stewardess.jpg   49.79K   503 downloads

Attached File  MF Crew mess.jpg   36.61K   446 downloads

#88 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Fugs:
That is a very beautiful design. I like it a lot.

#89 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin.My Dad and sister both had C scows (Dad crewed on an E scow at times).I was only around 7 or 8 at the time and had what was called a Cub boat,kinda like a Snipe.
Anyway The scows weren't much to look at, just sitting in 12" of water.

Attached File  Picture_116.jpg   93.38K   47 downloads

But were wicked cool under sail. Below is an E scow.

Attached File  Paitsi2010215.jpg   96.3K   69 downloads

This is a C,like my old man had. He would sneak me out of Sunday school sometimes so I could crew with him and his buddy. Good times. Crap I'm getting a little teary up. He'll be 98 in a few days.

Attached File  cscow1.jpg   97.96K   45 downloads

#90 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,122 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Good on ya Vik.

#91 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Isn't that an A scow?

#92 postpast

postpast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Old Cars, Old Heavy Equipment, Sailing, Fixing Sail Boats,

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

This boat has to be included in both the ugly and cool boat societies; the Thunderbird. Made from plywood, ugly as a book-end and fast as a J-24.

#93 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

I couldn't find the Thunderbird, but here's the Ferrari.

Posted Image

#94 Nicolations

Nicolations

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Reading history, riding my bike, hiking, coffee.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

You lose so much handling with the drop top.

#95 Mung Breath

Mung Breath

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Balance in Life

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

A red neck's 'rari

#96 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

I really like SPARK.

Waaah! That means you won't like this, which while not a reproduction, was not exactly cutting edge when built - launched 1999.

Now that is a lovely boat. Hard to see how she could be improved in any way. :)

#97 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

I grew up in Wisconsin.My Dad and sister both had C scows (Dad crewed on an E scow at times).I was only around 7 or 8 at the time and had what was called a Cub boat,kinda like a Snipe.
Anyway The scows weren't much to look at, just sitting in 12" of water.

Attached File  Picture_116.jpg   93.38K   47 downloads

This is a C,like my old man had. He would sneak me out of Sunday school sometimes so I could crew with him and his buddy. Good times. Crap I'm getting a little teary up. He'll be 98 in a few days.

Attached File  cscow1.jpg   97.96K   45 downloads

Hey 'Viktor'. Interesting boats. Not pretty as you say, but I imagine they'd be fast. Is your dad able to watch them? I bet he has some great memories of sailing them.

#98 Matagi

Matagi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

Etoile Horizon by Patrick Balta (balta.fr)
Posted Image

#99 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

That is seriously cool!!

Semi:
I deleted my rude post from last night. re: channeling. Sorry about that.

I've been studying the work of the great designers since I was 14 years old. Can't imagine anyone has done any more of that than I have. So while I may not like the idea of needing to channel anyone the fact is that I probably do it as a reflex now, like blinking, I'm not even aware that I do it. But I'm sure I do. I bristle at the idea that I need to copy anyone and the thought of designimng "reproductions" of traditional boats is not appealing to me. I'd like to think my work is original while acknowledging the fact that I have not originated any single feature. Beethoven loved Bach but you don't hear Bach when you hear Beethoven. I don't. Maybe Paul does. My idea of a "traditional" Perry design is NIGHT RUNNER or the SLIVER.

I've been aware of the Tumlaren for longer than I can remember. It's one of those boats that just wedged itself into my brain and got stuck there. Like a barbed hook. The proportions are just so perfect. Who cares if it is not ergonomic by today's standards. It's testimony to why you can't do accurate reproductions today. Today's sailors want more and are happy to give up aesthetics in order to get it. Pity. Kim is an exception. I had to lean on Kim a bit to get some concessions to comfort. I felt I was making decisions that would benefit long term ownership of the boat and Kim's boys ownership down the road.

I think every maestro is channeling Bob, no need to reinvent the wheel just improve on it.

There was a serious fleet of "Toms" in Adelaide in the early days. Every racing skipper I knew had owned one.

#100 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Tricky, that is seriously sexy as was her predecessor. Irens is indeed a master of his craft and refuses to be hemmed in by silly things like the number of hulls or major displacement differentials.

As a "cone" man he speaks your language.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users