• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Bluebird

Bluebird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

With Jonathan off to the OSTAR, I'll start this thread! Who is in? Where are the Minis and Class 40's? 13 boats signed up so far.

NOR at www.bermuda1-2.org

#2 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

The mighty Dragon will be giving it another go. There could be five or so Class 40's duking it out. Dragon, Toothface, Gryphon Solo, Bodacious Dream, Le Coq Cusine.... maybe even a couple of others if the dominos fall the right way.

My understanding is that there won't be any Mini's this year.

#3 Anemkne Tickler

Anemkne Tickler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Antrim 27
    Solo offshore

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

There would be an Antrim 27 on the starting line if the rules were modified to allow a boat 2 inches short of the minimum LOA. Thanks RC.

#4 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

Seriously, can you do something to add 2 inches to the stern?

Not seriously, :) There are all sorts of offers in my spam emails that promise a lot more than 2 inches !!!!!

#5 jlubimir

jlubimir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm in, not on Sola Fide, but on a Quest 30, Flight Risk.

#6 Total Slacker

Total Slacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm in, not on Sola Fide, but on a Quest 30, Flight Risk.

JLube! Good to see you pop up! I'll be keeping an eye on you from the West Coast! Enjoy St. Georges.

#7 ronnie_simpson

ronnie_simpson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:offshore sailing - racing round the world, trans-oceanic, solo, cruising, deliveries, inshore racing. all of it.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

J Lube fan club running STRONG on the west coast... Good luck John!!!

#8 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Racing kicks off this Saturday, with the start of the solo leg to Bermuda.  Dragon is at the dock in Newport Shipyard and is basically ready to go.  Got a couple of small jobs to do on Friday before or after the skipper's meeting.

The weather picture is starting to come into focus.  Looks like the start will be goverened by a series of low pressure systems popping up across the southern and south western US that are moving east and north.  We may actually be starting in the middle of one of those systems, which would give us the unsettled winds from the center of the low, followed by the breeze from the south west quadrant and then a bunch of slop before the prevailing southwesterlies reassert themselves in the Monday time frame.  What might be a bit more challenging is the sloppy seas that will linger for a bit.

The stream itself does not seem to be as much of a factor, with a relatively flattish meander, and an angle that is not particularily helpful. 

Bottom line, this is not going to be a record setting year.  Routing models are showing a 76 hour transit at the moment... but much could still change.

#9 Kincora

Kincora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

John,

Were are you in the harbor? 

#10 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

Good luck RM and Dragon

#11 solar

solar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

My buddy Peter McCrea will start his TENTH Bermuda 1-2 on Saturday.  Go Panacea!  Good luck to the whole Maine contingent.

#12 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Van Isle 360, Pacific Cup, Bermuda 1-2

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

Looks ugly (light & variable) for the first half and tight drag race for the second half. White sails the whole way?

#13 NYBOZO1

NYBOZO1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

Columbia 32..... Good luck!

#14 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

No minis this year?

#15 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

There would be an Antrim 27 on the starting line if the rules were modified to allow a boat 2 inches short of the minimum LOA. Thanks RC.

There doing you a favor You just don't know it.

#16 Kincora

Kincora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Agree, having owned and raced double handed a Antrim 27 in RI I would not want to go upwind through the stream in the boat.  Great boat for downwind races and perfect for Pacific Cup, Singlehanded Transpac but not upwind in the Stream. 

Go Wild Eyes, you have a fast boat, killer rating, and should be dialed by now.  Make the old lady proud!

#17 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Er, there may be more wind than origionally predicted for the start.

Sail safe!

#18 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Gutted to report tg at I have to drop out of the race. After successfully weaving the rest of this year's race schedule around work, I ran into an insurmountable obstical.

Go get em guys!

#19 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Here's wishing the best to the Bermuda 1-2 fleet - I'll miss you guys. Have fun and I'll see you in Newport when you get back.

#20 solar

solar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

There's a web cam on the roof of the Newport Hyatt that's pointed at the start line.

#21 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Went out to watch the start.  It was blowing 10 to 15 from the west, with conditions at 10 looking like a beam reach out of the Bay.  As it approached the 1100 start, the wind clocked forward until it was a beat.  The other factor was sea state.  Yesterday's storm has left behind a resonably heavy surf, with actual tubes forming as they broke on Brenton Reef.  It is going to make for some sloppy sailing until they settle down.  By morning they should have smoothed out a bit.

Coming off the line, most boats put in a long starboard tack to just under Castle Hall, then took a hitch over towards Beaver Tail until they could fetch R2.  There was too much drama in the pre-start or in the first few legs, other than the 50-strong opti fleet that was spread out across the first mile of the course.

Ray Renaud bounced back from a bad knee infection to make the start, something that was in doubt last night.  He had spent the day in the hospital on Wednesday and had withdrawn as of Thursday on his doctors recommendation.  Woke up this morning at 8 with the itch and that was that.  So much for medical advice... he is leading his class at the moment.  No big surprise since he kicked my ass many a time when I owned my C+C 35 III.    I might have failed to mention that he is 70.... the dude is like Yoda.

Island Girl had a bit of bad luck.  She split her jib horizontally along a seam that just happens to be right where her radar drum is.  When we last saw her, she was headed SE towards Bermuda with a partially furled jib that in no way resolved the issue. 

#22 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear your news RM.

Always hard to pull the pin.

#23 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

Sorry to hear your news RM.

Always hard to pull the pin.

Hard to feel bad about it.... I am a very lucky guy regardless.

Brutal going for the fleet tonight.  Very light airs, very slow boat speeds.  Lots of work with very few miles to show for it.

#24 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

And not much better this morning... looks like the very front of the pack has hooked into some moderate breeze but the majority of the fleet is flopping around in a whole lot of nothing. 

Gryphon Solo pulled the plug over night.  I know Joe had a bunch of work commitments that he was going to fly home to deal with - looks like he did the math and figured that with the existing forecast he was going to be stuck out there for too long.

#25 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

This fleet is full of quitters

#26 Kincora

Kincora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Having sold Wild Eyes to Mike and knowing how light and fast she is, I am impressed how well Upstart is sailing in light wind against her. A feather in the cap for SunFast 3200.  Also John has surprised me how well his boat is moving.

#27 Pearl Necklace

Pearl Necklace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Great to see two Lake Ontario boats taking part in the Race this year.  Bert Barrett on Upstart hails from BPYC in Toronto, and Jan Steyn on Solid Air is from YYC in Youngstown NY.  No doubt it is their experience with Lake Ontario's "light and lumpy" shit that is helping them along or at least keeping them sane in the early stages of this race. <_<

#28 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Next race is in 2015...submit your application.

#29 Total Slacker

Total Slacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Flight Risk taking it to the hoop!

JLube!!! JLube!!!

#30 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yeah - they are finally on the move.

The most incredible thing about this race is the number of skippers who are over the age of 70.  I know if at least six.  Pretty inspiring.

#31 Peenstone

Peenstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Biking, and safe, reliable, commercial nuclear power.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Tough night.  More bailing out with rough seas, 30+ kts. 

Island Girl still moving forward with decent speed. 

Go Brian.

#32 foeboat

foeboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

It looks like Solid Air is adrift in the gulf stream.  I really hope he's ok.

#33 foeboat

foeboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

It looks like Solid Air is adrift in the gulf stream.  I really hope he's ok.

Damn, this is one tough race.   This from NYC:

11 June 2130 - For the past four hours we have been dealing with a problem on Solid Air, Jan Steyn.  Jan called me to say he thought that his keel was about to fall off.  He had no steerage even with the motor and the wind was taking him NE at 2 kts.  He put out a VHF hail at that time and Wildeyes was the only one to answer.  Wildeyes was having problems changing directions to get to Solid Air.  In the mean time three other boats came much closer than Wildeyes (Bent, Kontradiction and Halcyon) and all three heard Jan's hail. It was determined that Halcyon would be the boat that would come to Jan's rescue and picked him up about 2115 EDT.  Jan called back saying that Dan on Halcyon did a masterful job of sailing the boat for the transfer.  Jan is fine but wet but now very comfortable since Halcyon is a Hallberg-Rassy 49!  Unfortunately Jan has abandoned his boat but Jan is safe which is very important.  The tracker is still on Solid Air and Harbor Radio will be following its position.

#34 Stevem1971

Stevem1971

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Nice job on the rescue.  Can't wait to hear what happened but at the least - we have some solid sailors doing the right thing.  Cheers boys.

#35 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

One hell of a year for the fleet.  Nail biter for Jan.  Very happy to hear that he is safe.   Brian Guck, a skipper with a few of these races under his belt, has turned Curlew back for Newport. 

Now the big concern is Dan Stadtlander on Mirari.  Looking at the tracker, last night he had a short period where he doubled back on himself.  He got back on course, but now his boat has turned back to the north east.  He is making 3.3. knots in what seems to be 30 knots winds which suggests he is under bare poles.  He has not been in touch, which is worrisome.  Roy updated the race website to indicate that he has contacted the Coast Guard and that they are monitoring the situation.

Fingers crossed.

#36 Peenstone

Peenstone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Biking, and safe, reliable, commercial nuclear power.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Island Girl has lost Geneoa, jib, and two halyards.  Brian is flying the storm jib via the topping lift, still making 6.5 kts over ground.  Very tiring last 24 hours.

#37 Harnesscreek

Harnesscreek

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

A Quest 30 seems to be crushing it, obviously went the right way- any details on this boat?

Thanks,

#38 Pearl Necklace

Pearl Necklace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Jan is a tough sailor, and has really been an inspiration and great competitor on Lake Ontario for a long time.

So happy to hear he is safe and sound and on board a comfortable ride for the final miles to Bermuda.in soon Jan

Big thanks for all those who aided in his rescue.

Looking forward to seeing you again Jan!

Pearl

#39 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Jan is a tough sailor, and has really been an inspiration and great competitor on Lake Ontario for a long time.

So happy to hear he is safe and sound and on board a comfortable ride for the final miles to Bermuda.in soon Jan

Big thanks for all those who aided in his rescue.

Looking forward to seeing you again Jan!

Pearl

+1000 and a toast to Halcyon at yyc tonight

#40 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Good news from the www.bermuda1-2.org site.  The USCG did a fly by over Mirari and Dan is fine.  He is having some rig issues apparently and is under some form of jury rig that limits his ability to shift tacks, and his goal at the moment is to get north out of the stream and then work his way back to CT.

Hat's off to Ray Renaud.  He finished early this AM and it looks like once again he has won his class.  A nice way to celebrate his 70th birthday!

#41 Pearl Necklace

Pearl Necklace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Good news from the www.bermuda1-2.org site.  The USCG did a fly by over Mirari and Dan is fine.  He is having some rig issues apparently and is under some form of jury rig that limits his ability to shift tacks, and his goal at the moment is to get north out of the stream and then work his way back to CT.

Hat's off to Ray Renaud.  He finished early this AM and it looks like once again he has won his class.  A nice way to celebrate his 70th birthday!

Great news - hope he is able to get safely back to shore!

And yes, hats off to Mr. Reneaud, of course, the Necklace is partial to his breed of yacht........

#42 titanuranus

titanuranus

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Unfort it conflicts with the Henley Regatta

This race is mostly old rich guys in big auto cruisers or shitboxes that shouldn't even try. Throw in a handful of Class 40s and Quests.

Would they deny any entry that fits the loa, self bailing cockpit, and engine propulsion at 5 kts requirements?

Class 1 has a 103 point phrf spread. Phrf for a 650 mile ocean race? They won't even see the same weather. Hopefully Darwin stays home and taxpayers don't pay for rescues in the Walter Mitty 1-2!

#43 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

This sounds just like a very familiar troll.  Solo, are you celebrating your unbanning with a bit of chum in the waters? 

I think the skippers would embrace the characterization of "old".... although they would probably laugh at the notion they were rich.  And they are a pretty hardy lot - Darwin is not going to get a lot of action here.

#44 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Unfort it conflicts with the Henley Regatta

This race is mostly old rich guys in big auto cruisers or shitboxes that shouldn't even try. Throw in a handful of Class 40s and Quests.

Would they deny any entry that fits the loa, self bailing cockpit, and engine propulsion at 5 kts requirements?

Class 1 has a 103 point phrf spread. Phrf for a 650 mile ocean race? They won't even see the same weather. Hopefully Darwin stays home and taxpayers don't pay for rescues in the Walter Mitty 1-2!

Right, because Fastnet or Sydney Hobart doesn't have shitboxes and big cruisers, too....

This was obvioulsy an off year for entries. As is the case with many races recently. Many of the regulars had to punt this year for all sorts of reasons, including me on my Quest (to be in a friend's wedding...who get's married during sailing season???). The one Class 40 certainly exagerated the spread in Class 1, an unfortunate result with this years numbers. The past several editions have averaged 35-40 boats. The Bermuda 1-2 is a great race with wonderful and very welcoming people. It's a no frills race for sure but that makes it doable for many of us. For anyone who is even just considering the race in the future I highly encourage you to reach out to one of the skippers or come check out one of the skippers meetings during the off year. I can almost gurantee you'll be hooked!

Uranus, I'm sure some of the old rich guys would be happy to help you put your money where your mouth is and pay your entry fee...so sign up! It's a fantastic race and a kick ass adventure.

#45 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

Planning to be there in 2015. Just have a little something I need to do next year, first. Looking forward to meeting those hearty souls.

#46 Bluebird

Bluebird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Last two boats,Nimros (17th race since 1981, an Alberg 37),
and Serif, first timer Charles on a Tartan 30, finished today. Charles finished the race with no engine and no electronics. I don't see any quitters in this group- people make prudent decisions to start, turn around, or finish. Titanuranus (up your anus?) is an obvious troll. This is a great race, great comaradery, no blue blazers...

#47 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yikes, sounds like some hairy action on the race course. Glad everyone is ok and a big congratulations to all the class winners! Now be safe on those death traps, known on island as scooters, and stay focused on the next leg.

#48 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Planning to be there in 2015. Just have a little something I need to do next year, first. Looking forward to meeting those hearty souls.

Divorce, or wood chipper?

#49 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Nice one! 

Looks like the Pac Cup for Roleur, double handed.    That is going to be an excellent couple of years of sailing.

#50 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

I feel for Dan on Mirari.  It looks like he is at a standstill again, maybe becalmed?  He has been making slow speed back to the coast, and is probably 100 or 120 miles out at this point.  7 days.... hope his food and water situation is OK.

#51 BobC

BobC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Nice one! 

Looks like the Pac Cup for Roleur, double handed.    That is going to be an excellent couple of years of sailing.

Come on it's not that long a race, it's only going to feel like two years

#52 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Nice one! 

Well played

#53 Roleur

Roleur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Nice one! 

Well played

You guys are just jealous my wife likes to race/sail with me.

#54 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Holy crap in a cup. 

If there was a year to unfortunately miss this race, this might have been the year.  Leg One, with its mixture of boat breaking wave state / heavy air interwoven with dead calm has now been followed by Leg Two.  These guys have been flopping around with nothing more than zephyrs for the past day. 

At least they have company on this leg.

#55 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Front 2/3 rds of the fleet has been moving well now for the past day, but the back of the pack is still wallowing.  It has been a couple of days since they have seen wind.... it is going to be a long race for them.

#56 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Huge cogratulations to Resolute! It was great seeing you guys last night when you arrived. Scott took me down twice in 2011 in the Downeast Challenge (now GOM Solo/Twin) and the Maine Rocks Race, for which I'll never forgive him but I had a good feeling about his B12 entry this year. Great job Scott and a hearty well done to his virgin B12 DH crew and my good buddy George. I'm very proud of you guys and all my Maine friends competing this year.

#57 dsco

dsco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, Jonathan!

My only regret is that JLubimir and Flight Risk couldn't do the "Two" so I couldn't show him how it's done head-to-head (yes, that's a challenge for B1-2 2015!). Hopefully Jeroboam, Samba and some of the Class 40s will be on the line as well.

As I said in Newport, super sailing in the OSTAR...we'll all be gunning for you in the GMORA shorthanded races this season...so get rested!

Scott
Resolute 7050

#58 jlubimir

jlubimir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Scott-

Great job on Resolute in the DH leg.   I'm equally sorry I wasn't there to prove to you again that size doesn't ALWAYS matter.  See you in 2015 on Flight Risk.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users