Good news to report from the boat!
This afternoon, Ajax and I paid a visit to my boat with the following agenda:
1.) Unfurl Jib and check condition of sail and all things related to the roller furling mechanism.
2.) Replace frayed jib halyard
3.) Diagnose issue of engine needing choke while idling
After unfurling the jib, which looks to be in good condition, we discovered that the frayed halyard in question was not in fact the jib halyard at all but was actually a secondary main halyard. So I don't have to worry about replacing that for now... THANK GOD!!
Next was the engine issue. The first time the engine was run a few weeks ago, it would start fairly easily and sound great while the choke was on, but as the choke was slowly let up, the engine would die. Based on comments from the Moyer forum and Ajax's experience, the thought was that the idle jet was clogged or the carb was out of adjustment. But today, the engine started fairly easily and ran beautifully with the choke on as it warned up. But this time, when the choke was released she idled great! Woohoo!
She is pretty close to being able to be sailed home. Still to do is fix the main halyard shackle and then bend on the main. For the missing shackle screw pin, I think I will take Ish's advice for now and get a machine screw to fit in there.
But like any good boat, as soon as you solve one problem another rears its ugly head. Last night and early this morning, the Baltimore/DC area got quite a bit of rain and it appears that my forepeak hatch is letting in quite a bit of water. Since this is right above where my head will be when I'm asleep this is No Bueno! The hatch is a Bomar with a plexiglass lens. The gasket looks fine and seems to be getting a good enough seal. I think in water ingress is coming from where the lens is attached to the frame. When I'm down at the boat in the next few days I will take a picture of the offending hatch. But in the meantime, I found this page that seems to explane what I think is the problem and the apparent solution. I do realize that this particular person wished to replace his lens, but the process of removal and re-sealing should be the same. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, does this method sound like the correct way to go about fixing it or do you have other sugestions. http://www.c34.org/f...hatch-lens.html
Again, I will take a picture next time I'm at the boat to give you guys a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about.