• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#1 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

One of our new forum members, the Red Lady has been kind of quiet lately not because she's given up, but because she's been very busy shopping for a better boat.

Maybe it wasn't very wise of me to interfere, but I offered to help her investigate potential boats. With her permission, I'm posting that she is the proud, new owner of the 1978 Pearson 30 #1099.

This chick has got me steamed up because I thought I was a savvy shopper who got a sweet deal on my P30. Well, for just a few hundred dollars more, she got:

- a boat 6 years newer than mine

- as solid, or more solid than mine

- a nicer interior than mine

- kerosene heater

- pressurized water

- hot water heater

- shore power

- stereo with Bose speakers

- onboard battery charger

- wheel steering

- auto pilot

- roller furling

- decent sails

- meticulous maintenance records and receipts, ORIGINAL Pearson sales documentation.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

should have sold her yours

#3 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, but what's it going to cost her to put a tiller back on?

#4 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, music, fittness

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

With Ajax's patience and wisdom, I have traded in my O'Day 25 for a big girl boat. I think I got very lucky in finding this boat. My search criteria were a bit more specific since I plan on living aboard, as well as sail her. So I needed a boat that had the space and creature comforts I was looking for, but wouldn't sail like a pig. As you can see from the list above, this boat had enough things to make living aboard quite comfortable. And it appears, at least on initial inspection, that most of the systems are in good working order. There are some cosmetic things that I will address in time, but for now the initial concern is making sure she is in sailing condition to bring her from Annapolis to my marina in Baltimore.

As Ajax pointed out, one thing about this boat that got me really hot and bothered was the POs collection of records and manuals. In two seperate binders, he meticulously organized every manual for everything on the boat, every letter of correspondence between himself and the manufacturers, every invoice, and most importantly, the original owners manual in perfect condition. Complete with the entire parts catalogue for the boat! Very cool...

I'm attaching some photos of what she looks like now. Her current name is Ariel, but I feel that will change when the time is right. I look forward to sharing my progress with my new boat with you all and look forward to any help and advice you would be willing share with me as I'm sure I will have plenty of questions going forward!

Red

Attached Files

#5 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, but what's it going to cost her to put a tiller back on?

Hard- I have the original tiller and all of the mounting hardware! Reinstalling that at some point is definitely on the list.. But much farther down. Since the boat currently has an installed auto pilot for the wheel steering and removing the pedestal will also mean the relocation of the engine controls... I think I'll let that job slide for a bit ;-)

#6 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Lovely new home, congrats.  (in the very nicest way)

#7 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Nice boat!  Glad someone has her who will appreciate her. Now - does your Dad own a brewery? :-) 

#8 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Nice!  Congrats!

#9 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thanks guys! And Guy, sorry...no brewery, too bad!

#10 Salazar

Salazar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Stage Lighting, etc.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Nice!  Congratulations.  I hope you have may happy times in your new (to you) home.

#11 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

WOW!! What a beauty!! Congratulations! You're going to love that boat.

Pay attention to Ajax, he knows what he's talking about.

#12 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hard to forego that auto-pilot,  but Lordy does that binnacle dominate the cockpit !

Perhaps there is another P-30 owner out there dying to "upgrade" to the wheel ?

Congrats on the new ride though,  well done if you moved tho old boat on,  too.

#13 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Love your First Mate! He (she?) looks very salty - boat dogs rock!

#14 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

From another live aboard...the key to having a boat that doesn't sail like sh&t is to consciously keep from loading crap onto her. I do a once/ mo purge of unnecessary crap...things like extra tools, shop vacs, and power cords seem to sneak aboard all the damn time.

#15 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

WOW!! What a beauty!! Congratulations! You're going to love that boat.

Pay attention to Ajax, he knows what he's talking about.

Ajax has been very helpful...though I suspect he might disagree with me :-)

#16 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hard to forego that auto-pilot,  but Lordy does that binnacle dominate the cockpit !.

I'm a pretty tiny person, only 4'11", and I have a hard time moving around that thing... Definitely something I may think about changing in the future. I also love the feel of tiller steering.

#17 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Thanks! That is Megan. She was supervising my work. Maybe if I can teach her to steer, I can forego the auto pilot...

#18 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

ahhh...sailboat love.

It's a wonderful thing.

Nice find!

#19 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

As Ajax pointed out, one thing about this boat that got me really hot and bothered was the POs collection of records and manuals. In two seperate binders, he meticulously organized every manual for everything on the boat, every letter of correspondence between himself and the manufacturers, every invoice, and most importantly, the original owners manual in perfect condition. Complete with the entire parts catalogue for the boat! Very cool...

Let me take a wild guess... Engineer?

#20 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

HA! No idea, technically it was the PPO who did all of this. Probably a good guess! But as the daughter of an engineer, I can tell you how much I appreciate having all of it. I think I may have actually squealed a little (okay, maybe a lot) when the seller handed those binders over to me!

#21 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Red,

What a nice looking boat. A great find. It IS amazing that people actually likes wheels on boats that size with that cockpit configuration  I have no idea how one could get comfortable driving that for any distance. The tiller however... looks like it would be dream.

PS - Being small is a blessing on a boat, with 1/2 the body mass as us lugs, your boat is effectively twice as big!

Enjoy.

#22 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

So when's the whetting down/renaming ceremony? -M

#23 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

So when's the whetting down/renaming ceremony? -M

#24 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

HA! No idea, technically it was the PPO who did all of this. Probably a good guess! But as the daughter of an engineer, I can tell you how much I appreciate having all of it. I think I may have actually squealed a little (okay, maybe a lot) when the seller handed those binders over to me!

I used to sell boats and loved it when the client was an engineer. Those kinds of binders are common with them, rare with everyone else. I would have squealed when I got one, but it's not very manly. ;)

#25 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

So when's the whetting down/renaming ceremony?-M

I'll let ya know ;-) she and I haven't come to an agreement yet on what the name should be...

#26 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I used to sell boats and loved it when the client was an engineer. Those kinds of binders are common with them, rare with everyone else. I would have squealed when I got one, but it's not very manly. ;)

I think the Man-Card police are leanient on first violations, but after the second squeal you're screwed!

#27 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hard to forego that auto-pilot,  but Lordy does that binnacle dominate the cockpit !.

I'm a pretty tiny person, only 4'11", and I have a hard time moving around that thing... Definitely something I may think about changing in the future. I also love the feel of tiller steering.

It always SEEMS like a Good Idea to whoever must DO this stuff,  or they wouldn't have sold so many of the retro-fit binnacle kits,  but I rarely see one that offers much of an advantage.  There was this nice,  older Ericson 25 at out club and the owner was one of those 'fiddling' types,  didn't sail often but was frequently there working aboard - and HE installed a wheel-helm "solution"  ( and I use that term loosely) - not that it made much impact as they really didn't SAIL the boat much.  Years later the boat was donated to the YC and converted to use as an adult trainer. First order of business ?   Off went the binnicle & wheel - how you could control the boat with that wheel (the size of one in your car)  is still a mystery to me.

Red,  take your time and have a drink on EVERY change you consider,  2 if it involves cutting a hole,  and enjoy getting to know your new boat one piece at a time.

#28 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

The boat has 3 minor issues that I need to correct, (or help her correct...)

The engine runs great, but really wants some choke on to idle. The idle jet is clogged or the carb is merely out of adjustment. Whatever the issue, the Moyer Marine and Hike Bitches Mobile Shipwrights Inc. will help me get it sorted, I'm sure.

Someone...(not me, not Red Lady) lost the fucking main halyard shackle screw pin. The shackle is spliced to the halyard. 

The jib halyard is badly, badly frayed and needs immediate replacement.

Everything else is functional and ready for delivery to her home slip.

#29 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

That's all?

Like every well maintained boat, it is compliant with my ten foot rule. (For every ten feet of boat, you get one project.)

Do these three and three more will appear. It's a rule. ;)

#30 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

That's all?

Like every well maintained boat, it is compliant with my ten foot rule. (For every ten feet of boat, you get one project.)

Do these three and three more will appear. It's a rule. ;)

Wait a sec! So you're telling me that I'm going to have to keep doing things to this boat? The PO guaranteed me a problem free, no maintenance boat. Damn! ;)

I think that is one thing that I really love about boats, there is always something to do, you can never get board. (Though I think my wallet may disagree.)

#31 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

You may be developing polynavicular morbus, Red Lady. See Dr Dylan at once.

#32 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

It is now clear why Ajax started the Force 10 heater thread, leading me to give some advice.  Your heater is close enough to the cabin top to scorch it, the part about using a small 12v fan holds true.  Also, a few mins with some metal polish will really make it look great.  The black parts are brass and clean up very well.  Congrats on the boat.

#33 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think that is one thing that I really love about boats, there is always something to do, you can never get board. (Though I think my wallet may disagree.)

You can never get board? To put it delicately, with all due respect, is this a female thing? I've heard of men getting wood, so to speak, even over boats, and that is a good thing. Yet you are proclaiming never getting board as a positive thing.

Paging Dr. Dylan, Dr Dylan to this thread, stat.

#34 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

I can attest that after she got the giant pile of documentation, and performed an initial, thorough cleaning of the boat, that she totally "got board" in the manner that men "get wood".  She was definitely not "bored" though. ;)

#35 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

OH!!God damn auto correct!! $&?!#... And yes I TOTALLY got "BOARD" :P

#36 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

the worst part about getting board is the splinters. Usually a good oil rub down takes care of it.

#37 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

The engine runs great, but really wants some choke on to idle. The idle jet is clogged or the carb is merely out of adjustment. Whatever the issue, the Moyer Marine and Hike Bitches Mobile Shipwrights Inc. will help me get it sorted, I'm sure.

Someone...(not me, not Red Lady) lost the fucking main halyard shackle screw pin. The shackle is spliced to the halyard. 

Sounds like you and Lady Rojo need to stop by the "Mrgnstrn splicing emporium" with some some new line. Or as Hike Bitches Mobile Shipwrights Inc calls it, the "Mrgnzaq12wsxcde34rfvbgt56yhnmju78iklo90pstrn splicing emporium"

I'll splice whilst you revel in your Pearson-ness.  bring beer as an offering to the gawds.

-M

#38 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

the worst part about getting board is the splinters. Usually a good oil rub down takes care of it.

Yeah, I've heard that works well. But what do I do about this stuck seacock?!

Sounds like you and Lady Rojo need to stop by the "Mrgnstrn splicing emporium" with some some new line. Or as Hike Bitches Mobile Shipwrights Inc calls it, the "Mrgnzaq12wsxcde34rfvbgt56yhnmju78iklo90pstrn splicing emporium"
I'll splice whilst you revel in your Pearson-ness.  bring beer as an offering to the gawds.

-M
Ideally, it would great to find a replacement screw pin so I don't have to replace both the main and jib halyards. But if it does come to that, we may indeed call upon your fine services. For future reference, what kind of brew do ya fancy Mr. Mrgn? :)

#39 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Oh HELL yeah - replace a haly for just the pin ?   Get us the size, type or maybe a picture,  we probably have a shoebox full of them out there someplace.  Jib halyard will be spendy enough.  Damn halyards....so darn long and all.

#40 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Oh HELL yeah - replace a haly for just the pin ?   Get us the size, type or maybe a picture,  we probably have a shoebox full of them out there someplace.  Jib halyard will be spendy enough.  Damn halyards....so darn long and all.

Thanks Great Red, I can do that. Only thing is I need to move her to my home slip in the next couple weeks, so we may have to jury rig it somehow for now.

#41 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Great Red, I can do that. Only thing is I need to move her to my home slip in the next couple weeks, so we may have to jury rig it somehow for now.

Buy some machine screws in 8-24, 8-32, 10-24 and 10-32; one of them will fit.

#42 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well,  you have a thread already,  so get a snapshot of it for us to ID and I bet we can scrounge one up.  I hardly use shackles anymore - all the cool kids (skiff &sportboat sailors) tie them on these days.  "It's all ball bearings now. "

#43 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I've heard that works well. But what do I do about this stuck seacock?!

Slow pitch! :lol:

#44 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Ball two.

#45 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well,  you have a thread already,  so get a snapshot of it for us to ID and I bet we can scrounge one up.  I hardly use shackles anymore - all the cool kids (skiff &sportboat sailors) tie them on these days.  "It's all ball bearings now. "

That is probably very well suited for a main halyard.  There even used to be a graphic/picture of how to do it in the old Layline catalogs (remember those!) 

Basically...you took a loop of the halyard near the shackle end (or where a shackle would be) stuck the whole loop thru the eye in the headboard, and then bring the end of the halyard (with a stopper knot or in  your case..a faulty shackle) over the head board and thru the loop.  then snug up.  it was simple and beautiful.

but.....not so much for a jib halyard that you might want to unsnap quickly for a sail change.

just a thought.

And to answer the query by the Fiery Damsel...any Charm City brew is great, but I luvs me some Summer Shandy by Lieny's too!

-M

#46 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

That is probably very well suited for a main halyard.  There even used to be a graphic/picture of how to do it in the old Layline catalogs (remember those!) 
Basically...you took a loop of the halyard near the shackle end (or where a shackle would be) stuck the whole loop thru the eye in the headboard, and then bring the end of the halyard (with a stopper knot or in  your case..a faulty shackle) over the head board and thru the loop.  then snug up.  it was simple and beautiful.

but.....not so much for a jib halyard that you might want to unsnap quickly for a sail change.

just a thought.

And to answer the query by the Fiery Damsel...any Charm City brew is great, but I luvs me some Summer Shandy by Lieny's too!

-M
Thanks for the info Mrgnstrn, I'll file your preference away for future bribery :-)

As for the shitty shackle, it is in fact for my main halyard so that might just work. The new boat has a roller furling jib, so no sail changes underway for this chick.

#47 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

just a thought.

-M

Have ya tried the Rosie Parks Oyster Stout yet? 

#48 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

Nice find, Ajax. Congrats on the boat too.

#49 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Good news to report from the boat!

This afternoon, Ajax and I paid a visit to my boat with the following agenda:
1.) Unfurl Jib and check condition of sail and all things related to the roller furling mechanism.
2.) Replace frayed jib halyard
3.) Diagnose issue of engine needing choke while idling

After unfurling the jib, which looks to be in good condition, we discovered that the frayed halyard in question was not in fact the jib halyard at all but was actually a secondary main halyard. So I don't have to worry about replacing that for now... THANK GOD!!

Next was the engine issue. The first time the engine was run a few weeks ago, it would start fairly easily and sound great while the choke was on, but as the choke was slowly let up, the engine would die. Based on comments from the Moyer forum and Ajax's experience, the thought was that the idle jet was clogged or the carb was out of adjustment. But today, the engine started fairly easily and ran beautifully with the choke on as it warned up. But this time, when the choke was released she idled great! Woohoo!

She is pretty close to being able to be sailed home. Still to do is fix the main halyard shackle and then bend on the main. For the missing shackle screw pin, I think I will take Ish's advice for now and get a machine screw to fit in there.

But like any good boat, as soon as you solve one problem another rears its ugly head. Last night and early this morning, the Baltimore/DC area got quite a bit of rain and it appears that my forepeak hatch is letting in quite a bit of water. Since this is right above where my head will be when I'm asleep this is No Bueno! The hatch is a Bomar with a plexiglass lens. The gasket looks fine and seems to be getting a good enough seal. I think in water ingress is coming from where the lens is attached to the frame. When I'm down at the boat in the next few days I will take a picture of the offending hatch. But in the meantime, I found this page that seems to explane what I think is the problem and the apparent solution. I do realize that this particular person wished to replace his lens, but the process of removal and re-sealing should be the same. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, does this method sound like the correct way to go about fixing it or do you have other sugestions. http://www.c34.org/f...hatch-lens.html
Again, I will take a picture next time I'm at the boat to give you guys a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about.

#50 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'd rethink the halyard shackle in terms of "what happens if the bolt snaps or loosens while its aloft". Ten or twenty bucks spent now could save you trying to figure out how to get the loose end back down . Don't ask me how I know.

#51 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Using a threaded fastener in ANY location where it shouldn't be is a Bad Idea.

Ham-fisted sailors have for years replaced pins at goosenecks and spreader brackets and such without care only to act surprised to find them sawing away on bearing surfaces and snapping off because they are brittle in shear.

If you can't remove the halyard shackle and just tie in or use another one, perhaps a smooth clevis pin could be found to fit ?

You have a back-up main halyard ? That's unusual. Perhaps it's a topping lift for the boom ?

#52 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thanks! That is Megan. She was supervising my work. Maybe if I can teach her to steer, I can forego the auto pilot...

You will forever being chasing cat-boats if she is anything like my dog.

#53 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

After trying different options for replacing the screw pin in my main halyard shackle, I decided to just buy a new line and shackle. After a visit to the Red Lady Splicing Emporium, my new halyard is ready to be run in the morning. If everything goes well, and weather cooperates, I'll sail the new boat to my home slip Monday.

Attached Files

#54 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Well done, lads. Ummm, and Lady. I trust you provided rum.

#55 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

No lads Ish, this Lady does her own spicing ;)

#56 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'm sure you're a spicy lady, and you splice as well? Congratulations.

#57 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

Good news to report from the boat!
This afternoon, Ajax and I paid a visit to my boat with the following agenda:
1.) Unfurl Jib and check condition of sail and all things related to the roller furling mechanism.
2.) Replace frayed jib halyard
3.) Diagnose issue of engine needing choke while idling
After unfurling the jib, which looks to be in good condition, we discovered that the frayed halyard in question was not in fact the jib halyard at all but was actually a secondary main halyard. So I don't have to worry about replacing that for now... THANK GOD!!
Next was the engine issue. The first time the engine was run a few weeks ago, it would start fairly easily and sound great while the choke was on, but as the choke was slowly let up, the engine would die. Based on comments from the Moyer forum and Ajax's experience, the thought was that the idle jet was clogged or the carb was out of adjustment. But today, the engine started fairly easily and ran beautifully with the choke on as it warned up. But this time, when the choke was released she idled great! Woohoo!
She is pretty close to being able to be sailed home. Still to do is fix the main halyard shackle and then bend on the main. For the missing shackle screw pin, I think I will take Ish's advice for now and get a machine screw to fit in there.
But like any good boat, as soon as you solve one problem another rears its ugly head. Last night and early this morning, the Baltimore/DC area got quite a bit of rain and it appears that my forepeak hatch is letting in quite a bit of water. Since this is right above where my head will be when I'm asleep this is No Bueno! The hatch is a Bomar with a plexiglass lens. The gasket looks fine and seems to be getting a good enough seal. I think in water ingress is coming from where the lens is attached to the frame. When I'm down at the boat in the next few days I will take a picture of the offending hatch. But in the meantime, I found this page that seems to explane what I think is the problem and the apparent solution. I do realize that this particular person wished to replace his lens, but the process of removal and re-sealing should be the same. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, does this method sound like the correct way to go about fixing it or do you have other sugestions. http://www.c34.org/f...hatch-lens.htmln
Again, I will take a picture next time I'm at the boat to give you guys a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about.

If its leaking between the plexi and the frame, a quick and dirty patch can be done using a sheet of Tedlar that overlaps the plexi to the frame. Get a couple square feet from your sailmaker.

#58 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

Electrical tape from Ace Hardware will also work, run a border around the window. Does not work when wet. 3M 33 is best for this. :)

#59 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Ha! I can splice, but I sure as hell can't type!

#60 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Electrical tape from Ace Hardware will also work, run a border around the window. Does not work when wet. 3M 33 is best for this. :)

If its leaking between the plexi and the frame, a quick and dirty patch can be done using a sheet of Tedlar that overlaps the plexi to the frame. Get a couple square feet from your sailmaker.

It looks like the PO had resealed the hatch at some point by running a bead of silicone on the inside and outside between the plexi lens and the frame. In some places I can actually lift the plexi up where the silicone has deteriorated. What I was thinking of doing is:
1) remove all old silicone, lift plexi out of frame and clean.
2) run bead of 3M 4000 UV On the inside of frame and replace the lens
3) run bead of 4000 on the inside outside of plexi.

Thoughts?

#61 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yes, but not with 3M 4000.  There are better products for this gig, such as Sika 295 (and primer).  One key thing to remember is to not push the plexi tight against the frame, you want a sealant filled gap between the lens and the frame to allow for movement.

#62 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yes, but not with 3M 4000.  There are better products for this gig, such as Sika 295 (and primer).  One key thing to remember is to not push the plexi tight against the frame, you want a sealant filled gap between the lens and the frame to allow for movement.

I went down to the boat and snapped a few pics of the hatch. You can see where the sealant is pealing away both inside and out. We had a good rain yesterday and my v-berth was soaked :(

Attached Files

#63 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I agree the only way to get it to stop leaking is to take it apart and re-seal it.  If you can not do that then a fitted Sunbrella cover and frequent use of 303 will help alot.  I have had to to this as my salon hatch leaks and it is so old I am afraid I would destroy it trying to re-build it.  Another option is these guys, http://www.selectpla...-products.html.  I have not used them but their reputation is good.

#64 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

This stuff works

243990.jpg

mostly. It fixed 90% of the leaks in my hatches on the first go round, and 99% by the third application. That last 1% was right over my head.

#65 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

I can vouch for select plastics.  They redid my foredeck hatch (Lewmar, 1984 S2 9.1) and it looks brand new.  Doesn't leak either. 

#66 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

This stuff works

243990.jpg

mostly. It fixed 90% of the leaks in my hatches on the first go round, and 99% by the third application. That last 1% was right over my head.

That's handy! Just leave the lid up and periodically flush the leakage. ;)

#67 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

After trying different options for replacing the screw pin in my main halyard shackle, I decided to just buy a new line and shackle. After a visit to the Red Lady Splicing Emporium, my new halyard is ready to be run in the morning. If everything goes well, and weather cooperates, I'll sail the new boat to my home slip Monday.

Nice work! now show that two-left-thumbed Ajax how to do it...I coudn't teach him, maybe you can.

:)

<hiding behind my trenchcoat>

-M

#68 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Crash,

How was their cost?  Website says "about 1/2 of a new hatch, including installation labor".  That sounds like :"About the same as a new hatch".   

PM is you don't want to post their price online. 

I can vouch for select plastics.  They redid my foredeck hatch (Lewmar, 1984 S2 9.1) and it looks brand new.  Doesn't leak either. 

#69 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Fingers nimble enough to splice should be nimble enough to type.

#70 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Today was D-day! The sail from Annapolis(ish) to Baltimore took about six hours, but my girl is now home! The splice in my new halyard held, the engine was slightly temperamental but got the job done, and except for one tug there wasn't any commercial traffic to speak of. It was a god sail to get the feel of my new boat and get a better idea of what needs worked on. It's been a long day so I will elaborate later, but for now... A little sailing porn ;)

Attached Files

#71 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Nice work! now show that two-left-thumbed Ajax how to do it...I coudn't teach him, maybe you can. :) <hiding behind my trenchcoat>-M

Thank you! Actually...Ajax taught me...soooo... :) Also, I guess I will have to find some other project for you to help with to earn you that beer ;)

#72 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Fingers nimble enough to splice should be nimble enough to type.

I think I'm just going to blame technology (uhh Siri cough cough) on my typing mishaps!

#73 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Crash,

How was their cost?  Website says "about 1/2 of a new hatch, including installation labor".  That sounds like :"About the same as a new hatch".   

IB,

They really were about 50% of the cost of a new hatch sourced from Defender/West Marine.  I was so happy that I'm sending them a second hatch here shortly....so they are not cheap.  For my foredeck hatch, which was a Lewmar hatch, we are still talking 400+ dollars as I recall.  But the workmanship was first rate, they had all the parts, etc, and the hatch no kidding operates as if it were brand new.  I did the hatch, hinges, and latches.  Did the install myself, which wasn't difficult, as the hatch came off the same spot.  Overdrilled all the holes for the frame, and filled with epoxy and re-drilled while the hatch was being rebuilt.  Doesn't leak a drop.

Crash

#74 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Today was D-day! The sail from Annapolis(ish) to Baltimore took about six hours, but my girl is now home! The splice in my new halyard held, the engine was slightly temperamental but got the job done, and except for one tug there wasn't any commercial traffic to speak of. It was a god sail to get the feel of my new boat and get a better idea of what needs worked on. It's been a long day so I will elaborate later, but for now... A little sailing porn ;)

Why, oh why, would you post that photo of me perched on your pulpit like a gargoyle? Yuck.

Folks, I would never survive as a delivery captain/crew.  I was so full of anxiety, that I worry that I sucked all of the joy out of the trip for Red Lady.

Even after a flawless, loaded test run at the dock, the engine was a little more than "temperamental", though it did seem nearly 100% better by our arrival in Baltimore.

The day started cold and gray, the mouth of the Magothy was a lumpy mess, with the easterly breeze dead on the nose. That very narrow channel at the exit of the river positively sucks. I absolutely tethered myself to the mast when I raised the main. Once we rounded Baltimore Light, with full sails, the ride was much improved. The sun began peeking out. We maintained 5.5 to 7 knots almost the entire way, beam and broad-reaching our way in.

I must admit that sailing into a large city such as Baltimore is a fascinating experience, that I did enjoy once I was able to accept that the boat was solid, and settled in.

I also must confess that some cruising conveniences like lazy jacks and roller furling are damned nice. We sailed right up to Red Lady's marina and had sails furled and doused in moments. No canvas flogging on the deck, or main falling in our faces. I guess I never realized how spartan my boat is.

I did my best to restrict myself to the role of "Atomic-4 engineer/comic relief", and let Red Lady run her own boat.

#75 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Crash,

IB,

They really were about 50% of the cost of a new hatch sourced from Defender/West Marine.  I was so happy that I'm sending them a second hatch here shortly....so they are not cheap.  For my foredeck hatch, which was a Lewmar hatch, we are still talking 400+ dollars as I recall.  But the workmanship was first rate, they had all the parts, etc, and the hatch no kidding operates as if it were brand new.  I did the hatch, hinges, and latches.  Did the install myself, which wasn't difficult, as the hatch came off the same spot.  Overdrilled all the holes for the frame, and filled with epoxy and re-drilled while the hatch was being rebuilt.  Doesn't leak a drop.

Crash

Thanks.  I have 7 Lewmars of various sizes that are due for rebuild.  I can get WM wholesale prices as that is my son's summer job but need to assess rebuild vs replace.  I have Lewmar "Ocean" hatches with the old "Rollstop" hinges.  I replaced the friction stops on several years ago but they still tend to slam shut by themselves.  If I can't fix that, I'll want new. 

I'll give Select a call.  I could remove them all this fall and make covers for the winter if I went that way. 

#76 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

, Why, oh why, would you post that photo of me perched on your pulpit like a gargoyle?

Hey! I wanted these guys to think I have a banging masthead! Gee thanks ;)

#77 craigjoh

craigjoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:sailing, mountain biking

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

You wanted us to think you do what with your masthead?????

#78 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Crash,

IB,

Crash

Thanks.  I have 7 Lewmars of various sizes that are due for rebuild.  I can get WM wholesale prices as that is my son's summer job but need to assess rebuild vs replace.  I have Lewmar "Ocean" hatches with the old "Rollstop" hinges.  I replaced the friction stops on several years ago but they still tend to slam shut by themselves.  If I can't fix that, I'll want new. 

I'll give Select a call.  I could remove them all this fall and make covers for the winter if I went that way. 

If your son is working at WM I think you'll find it may almost be cheaper to replace than repair. That's why I put 3 new hatches on...

#79 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Before I get into today's boat shenanigans, I just wanted to give a huge thanks to Ajax! My search for a new boat would have been much more difficult without his advice, knowledge and research. And despite his claims to be a lousy delivery crew, he did exactly what he should have...since neither of us had sailed this boat prior to yesterday's six hour voyage, he made sure that our safety was the first priority. And because he was willing to be my A4 tech and troubleshooting crew, we made it to my marina in Baltimore with no problems and I was able to concentrate on learning my new boat and enjoy my first sail on her.

So now that I don't have to drive 40 minutes to work on the boat any more, I can get started on some projects on my to-do list. Since I will be living aboard starting next week, the first order of priority was the forepeak hatch. Thanks for all of your sugestions on what to use. I'm sure Select Plastics does a great job, but since I just bought a boat money is a little tight. After talking to some local marine maintenance guys, I did decide to go with the 3M 4000 because of its sealing and adhesive properties.

The PO had tried using some clear silicone to fix the problem, and I had a heck of a time getting that off. Then I had to remove all the old, what looked like factory, sealant. I cleaned both the plexi and the frame to remove any remaining residue. After things were dry and clean I laid a bead of 3M in the recess in the frame and replaced the plexi. I then ran a bead above and below completely, I hope, sealing the hatch.

It is supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow so I hope this gives it time to cure. In a couple days I'll run the hose over it and see how I did.

Attached Files

#80 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I am impressed you got it apart and back together again without breaking anything, you seem to have the old boat touch.  In the future keep in mind that you can use painters tape when using sealants for a neater final result, although not always more functional.

#81 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

I wonder if it's possible to trim away some of the excess after it cures? At any rate, good job and I hope the leak is fixed.

#82 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

I wonder if it's possible to trim away some of the excess after it cures? At any rate, good job and I hope the leak is fixed.

Sure, run a sharp blade around it in a couple of days and it will be just fine.

Sharp blade, as in a new Olfa blade. Not your bread knife.

#83 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Hmm... There was a fifth picture of the final product but the interwebz must have eaten it. I did use my nifty caulk tool to take off the excess and the end result is quite nice. I do know I can use painters tape, but in this case I wanted to make sure the space between the plexi and frame was completely filled... Hence all the extra in the fourth picture...

#84 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

That makes sense, for smaller jobs I sometimes find it easier to clean up after than tape before.

#85 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

That makes sense, for smaller jobs I sometimes find it easier to clean up after than tape before.

Isn't that like saying its better to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission?

#86 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

Yep, although my wife would not always agree (Look dear, we got some new self tailing winches in the mail!)

#87 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Today is forecast to be warm and very dry, so the caulk should cure rapidly.

I am damned envious of that style of hatch. I have the early, fiberglass clamshell style, and that thing needs to go.

#88 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hatch update... Ran the hose over the newly sealed hatch and....NO water in the V-berth. What a relief! I got the fast cure 4000 so with the warm weather today it set well. On to the next project..choices, choices hmmmm...
BTW.. Here is the hatch minus the extra goop.
-Red

Attached Files

#89 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ah! That is neat and tidy. I'm glad the fix was cheap and quick.

Clean those sinks and investigate re-commisioning the potable water systems.

#90 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ah! That is neat and tidy. I'm glad the fix was cheap and quick.Clean those sinks and investigate re-commisioning the potable water systems.

Potable water, instal holding tank and make sure toilet works, work on running rigging...including a gnarly turning block for the furling line, brightwork...oh the sanding..., maybe I'll just start with giving her a bath ;)

Attached Files

#91 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

That's a pretty sweet P30; nice hatch (now that it keeps the water out ;) ), shore power, nice spin/whisker pole with track and mount, I always wanted a sea hood, and I really like the cheek blocks for the jib leads. You really only need those blocks for big (150) headsails but they are quite handy then. And you guys take those beige decks for granted. Try walking barefoot on blue decks - youch.

Nice boat.

#92 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Looks like a nice little P30 and indeed the beige decks are a blessing.

The easiest way to get the topsides of the hull and decks clean is Limeoff followed by a mixture of water/bleach...spray one side down with fresh water, spray Limeoff on the hull and spread with a large sponge...if you  start at the bow, by the time you get to the stern, the bow to midship section will be white...usually takes about 10 minutes for the Limeoff to do it's thing (I usually buy a spray dispenser bottle of Limeoff, and the larger size non-spray container of Limeoff...once the spray dispenser is empty fill 1/3-1/2 with Limeoff from the large container and top off with water)....Rinse off thoroughly and if needed follow up with the water/bleach mix (I usually put this in a spray dispenser as well, but a bucket will work)...wear rubber cleaning gloves for protection....For the real stubborn stains, especially dark marks on the topsides, my trick is to use the Whitewall tire cleaner, which can be found cheap in hardware stores vs automotive stores.

#93 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

Isn't that like Buggy Whip Conditioner? Whitewall tires? They still make them?

#94 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,105 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Apparently so... :) 

#95 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

That's a pretty sweet P30; nice hatch (now that it keeps the water out ;) ), shore power, nice spin/whisker pole with track and mount, I always wanted a sea hood, and I really like the cheek blocks for the jib leads. You really only need those blocks for big (150) headsails but they are quite handy then. And you guys take those beige decks for granted. Try walking barefoot on blue decks - youch. Nice boat.

Oh, the infamous blue decks... Who thought that was a good idea?? The headsail on her is atleast a 150. Almost every line on this boat is the same color with the same color tracers, I will have to do something about that down the road. Now that I have the hatch watertight, I am having her power washed on Sunday so I can get to cleaning. I think she is a great boat and I'm so happy to have her!

I've finally finished cleaning the cabin and spent my first night aboard last night. It was amazing to wake up to the sun on the water!

Attached Files

#96 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Looking aft:

Attached Files

#97 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Looks like a nice little P30 and indeed the beige decks are a blessing.

The easiest way to get the topsides of the hull and decks clean is Limeoff followed by a mixture of water/bleach...spray one side down with fresh water, spray Limeoff on the hull and spread with a large sponge...if you  start at the bow, by the time you get to the stern, the bow to midship section will be white...usually takes about 10 minutes for the Limeoff to do it's thing (I usually buy a spray dispenser bottle of Limeoff, and the larger size non-spray container of Limeoff...once the spray dispenser is empty fill 1/3-1/2 with Limeoff from the large container and top off with water)....Rinse off thoroughly and if needed follow up with the water/bleach mix (I usually put this in a spray dispenser as well, but a bucket will work)...wear rubber cleaning gloves for protection....For the real stubborn stains, especially dark marks on the topsides, my trick is to use the Whitewall tire cleaner, which can be found cheap in hardware stores vs automotive stores.

Thanks Boomer! I like hearing what tricks people find...never would have thought of the Whitewall cleaner.

#98 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

red lady, I heard your story first hand from Ajax this weekend. Sounds like you got a nice boat!

To clean my old 4KSB, I have resorted to using bleach in an insecticide sprayer. It takes care of the mildew on the decks for sure. Just before a rain and you don't have to rinse either!

keep up the good work! B)

#99 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

red lady, I heard your story first hand from Ajax this weekend. Sounds like you got a nice boat!

To clean my old 4KSB, I have resorted to using bleach in an insecticide sprayer. It takes care of the mildew on the decks for sure. Just before a rain and you don't have to rinse either!

keep up the good work! B)

+1 on the garden sprayer. I go for the plastic wand so I can cram it in tight places followed by a toilet brush taped on a broom handle. You can get way up under the stove and way up under the port berth. And the toilet brush with extension is great for brusing out the whole length of the bilge.

#100 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I have found that 30 Seconds cleaner mixed 50:1 in a sprayer works very well for cleaning exterior fiberglass.  Spray on dry surface, wait a bit, scrub, rinse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users