134 replies to this topic

#1 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

It all started with Kevin Farrar's one off build which was well documented on SA sportboat anarchy,  Now we will send Hull3  to USA later this week.  Hull3 will be joined in east coast with hull5 and hull6, lifting keel versions later in the summer 2013.  

Kevin's boat, Hull3 and Hull6 will sail in North East USA not much far away from each other.

Hull5 find a new home in Florida

For further info please conract usa@wraceboats.com 

here is a sneak preview from inside

Attached Files

#2 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

and some from outside

Attached Files

#3 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Looks awesome!! 

#4 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

The design is evolving. I like what I'm seeing. I'd like to see more detail about the cooler though - is it offset because the battery compartment is offset too?

#5 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

That is pretty constricted access to the beer.

#6 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

The design is evolving. I like what I'm seeing. I'd like to see more detail about the cooler though - is it offset because the battery compartment is offset too?

Yes. On starboard, beer compartment, port battery compartment.
reinforcement in the middle...

#7 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Beautifully executed, windseekeryachts!

Is that companionway cut deeper than on previous boats?  Change to the standard?

#8 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

That is pretty constricted access to the beer.

looks like you can get at it from the berth,   perfect..

#9 B.Wilkinson

B.Wilkinson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

Where is hull #6 going?

#10 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

Nice.

#11 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Is that companionway cut deeper than on previous boats?  Change to the standard?

It is really a joy getting these kind of detail questions.  The companionway is cut deeper, owner's choice.  We have a composite piece  that can be installed. see below before and after...

Attached Files

#12 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Where is hull #6 going?

Connecticut. But as far I know, The owner has plans to trail the boat as far as Key West for regattas. 

#13 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Very cool.  Lifting keel will make it even cooler. 

#14 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

So what exactly is down below on this boat.  I see pictures of floorboards and stringers, and an empty bow tank, but nothing else.  I'm trying to compare it in my mind to other boats of this size.

#15 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

It is a 26ft raceboat.

It appears to be damn near perfect.

What's missing that you would be expecting?

#16 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

It is a 26ft raceboat.

It appears to be damn near perfect.

What's missing that you would be expecting?

Nothing at all; just curious is all.  I'm not expecting much or hoping for much and I certainly like what I see. However, the Seascape 27 has some accommodations, for instance and I like what I see there, too.  A Melges 24 has a cuddy, but no accommodations whatsoever, and the few times I've been on one where really fun.   Where does this boat fit?  CurrentIy boat-less, I enjoy seeing and hearing what different designers have in mind and the markets they are attempting to reach with their drawings.  

#17 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

The Donovan GP26 is a raceboat.

No compromises or concessions.

And it seems that one can expect that it will perform accordingly.

While there's room for a v-berth and head, if you're looking for furniture or accommodations, keep looking.

#18 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Okay, there's nothing down below.  That's all I wanted to know.  I have plenty of boat(s) right now.  I have no axes to grind, bones to pick, or threads to troll.  I was simply looking at the website and wondered.  Let's end this topic because someone seems to have his cranky pants on.  

#19 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

Fins: Aren't you committed to Dart No.6?

#20 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

There *is* supposedly a place for a portapotty down below. I can see being able to weekend this boat, although weekending with restaurants, not cooking. The only thing that would worry me for cat 3 compliance would be fixed water tanks and a sink. Other than that, it seems pretty easy to get to that level.

#21 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Fins: Aren't you committed to Dart No.6?

Number 4.  Much crusier and far less sport boat.  I appreciate Ryley's comment.  As I said, I was only curious to learn more about the Donovan GP26.  It looks like a great boat.  I like learning about boats.  Boat talk is fun.

#22 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

There *is* supposedly a place for a portapotty down below. I can see being able to weekend this boat, although weekending with restaurants, not cooking. The only thing that would worry me for cat 3 compliance would be fixed water tanks and a sink. Other than that, it seems pretty easy to get to that level.

no worries, there is a designed portapotty place, but no boats have been equipped yet, owners choice.

there is room for water tanks under the bunks.  sink and tab we can install easily.

#23 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

no worries, there is a designed portapotty place, but no boats have been equipped yet, owners choice.

there is room for water tanks under the bunks.  sink and tab we can install easily.

yeah, well, I race with girls. Mine's gonna need the pp ;)

#24 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,101 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

yeah, well, I race with girls. Mine's gonna need the pp ;)

what's wrong with this??

Attached File  potty.jpg   35.31KB   13 downloads

#25 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I race with girls too.  But, mine can use a "stout" bucket with ease and there is plenty of room down there for that!

#26 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I race with girls too.  But, mine can use a "stout" bucket with ease and there is plenty of room down there for that!

my wife, more of a motorboat type lady, who does not race and does not let me race with girls...

So we just do it from the stern no need for a bucket at all...  :D

#27 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Okay, there's nothing down below.  That's all I wanted to know.  I have plenty of boat(s) right now.  I have no axes to grind, bones to pick, or threads to troll.  I was simply looking at the website and wondered.  Let's end this topic because someone seems to have his cranky pants on.  

Hi Todd,

I think the only real difference is that the GP 26 doesn't have any cushions in it in these photos.

When I designed the interior of the Mumm 30, we put a stove, sink and cooler moldings in the boat. These turned out to be the most useless items in the boat - impossible to use effectively on a smaller high performance yacht.

I'm afraid the nice photo of the Dart interior with the kids and cushions is quite a different reality with a grown-up sitting down below in 20 knots.

I doubt you'll want the cushions/giant sponges onboard for that.

The newest GP 26s have built-in storage bins in the topsides section of the keel frame; you'll want to keep your wallet and cell phone up out of the bilge. You can also fully fit the boat with cushions for weekending, and I suspect the boat may actually be more comfy that the Dart due to it's size.

Below are photos of the pretty Dart interior vs. the reality of a sportboat drying out after a days sail (Mumm 30).

Attached Files

#28 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

USA2603 On it way to New York...

Have a safe trip.

Attached Files

#29 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'd still like a place to store the bucket ;)

#30 Savage 17

Savage 17

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Is crane service in NY included in the shipping costs? If not then how do you get the boat out of the container?

#31 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Thanks, Jim.  What a great looking boat- looks like a blast to sail, too.  For the Dart, I'm daysailing, and beer can bashing.  Any trips to Kaneohoe will be on the shiny new trailer.  I could happily live the rest of my life without going around Makapu'u again on anything less than the Pride of Norway.

#32 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Is crane service in NY included in the shipping costs? If not then how do you get the boat out of the container?

Crane service is not included on the other end. Delivery to local marina can be included.

It gets out as it gets in (with a crane).

Was not a problem in Hong Kong and Norway. shouldn't be in NY.

#33 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

my rigger would charge me about $200 to uncrate the boat, lift it onto the trailer or davits, and step the mast.

#34 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, Jim.  What a great looking boat- looks like a blast to sail, too.  For the Dart, I'm daysailing, and beer can bashing.  Any trips to Kaneohoe will be on the shiny new trailer.  I could happily live the rest of my life without going around Makapu'u again on anything less than the Pride of Norway.

Good plan! 

#35 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Boat without keel and rig is less than 1000 lbs - easy to slide out with a forklift. Two forklifts could do the container extraction, but a small crane is a good plan.

#36 alcoholfunnycar

alcoholfunnycar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, fast boats.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

It is really a joy getting these kind of detail questions.  The companionway is cut deeper, owner's choice.  We have a composite piece  that can be installed. see below before and after...

Please note:

3.08.5 If the companionway extends below the local sheerline and the boat has a cockpit opening aft to the sea the boat shall comply with one of the following (Mo 0,1,2,3,4):

a) the companionway sill shall not extend below the local sheerline. Or

b ) be in full compliance with all aspects of ISO 11812 to design category A (Mo 0,1,2,3,4)

If this modified boat is not compliant with 3.08.4 b ), it isn't legal for ORC Cat. 0,1,2,3 or 4 races.

#37 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Please note:

3.08.5 If the companionway extends below the local sheerline and the boat has a cockpit opening aft to the sea the boat shall comply with one of the following (Mo 0,1,2,3,4):

a) the companionway sill shall not extend below the local sheerline. Or

b ) be in full compliance with all aspects of ISO 11812 to design category A (Mo 0,1,2,3,4)

If this modified boat is not compliant with 3.08.4 b ), it isn't legal for ORC Cat. 0,1,2,3 or 4 races.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 11812 Cat A allows a fixed sill of .15 m and a mobile portion that brings it to .3 m (just under 1 foot). If that's a 4" suncor padeye, then it looks to me that with the composite piece in place, this still meets the requirements.

Otherwise, I don't think a Club Swan 42 meets the requirements either. Jim, thoughts?

#38 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Meanwhile the production of no5 and no6 continues.

attached below is deck5 pulled out of the mold.

deck6 foams are pressed today. 

Attached Files

#39 FatimaRules

FatimaRules

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Purely for interest - I notice that there are no clutches on the cabin top, and some bit not all pictures have a swivel cam on the aft hip of the cabin. How are the halyards, Cunningham and kicker working?

#40 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Purely for interest - I notice that there are no clutches on the cabin top, and some bit not all pictures have a swivel cam on the aft hip of the cabin. How are the halyards, Cunningham and kicker working?

Cabin top clutches and other halyard blocks will be installed by Jim Donovan in NY after setting up the mast.  

#41 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

What's with the wood floor boards?

I would have expected something more modern and lighter.

Great boat. Looks lovely.

Very light indeed,  wood veneer on foam cored composite

#42 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

After some discussion with owners, we will lobby to make floorboards "optional".

Currently they are required by the GP 26 Class Rules (from IMS Accommodation Regs)

The floorboards are just one more part to maintain and actually reduce the useable headroom in the boat.

#43 alcoholfunnycar

alcoholfunnycar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, fast boats.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ahh. Tricksy boat pixies.

All the cool kids are doing it.

Jim, would you do anything to the floor to protect the inner hull laminate from the punishing crew? I'm assuming it is as thin as you dare right now.

#44 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

USA2603 On it way to New York...
Have a safe trip.

Where are these built?

What do they cost?

I'm not a real buyer (yet) but I might downsize for the kids eventually.

Built in Istanbul/Turkey.

Please see web page www.wraceboats.com for more info.

#45 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ahh. Tricksy boat pixies.

All the cool kids are doing it.

Jim, would you do anything to the floor to protect the inner hull laminate from the punishing crew? I'm assuming it is as thin as you dare right now.

The laminate on the floor where it is stepped is quite thick actually because of the keel.  We did not have floorboards on Hull1 and will not have on Hull4 now.

No need for extra protection.

#46 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Cabin top clutches and other halyard blocks will be installed by Jim Donovan in NY after setting up the mast.  

Is the mast for #3 a Pauger or a Donovan?

#47 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Uh...

Nice boat.

Attached Files

#48 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Is the mast for #3 a Pauger or a Donovan?

Ryley, what is a Donovan Mast? We do not have it on the price list?

:D Kidding. Jim has finished the tooling for the Boom, mast tooling is about to be finished, and we will have it on the price list under options list soon.

Pauger Mast on #3 is a big improvement over Hull1 and 2 mast after feedback from sailing #1 for a season. and it is a very good choice.

But JPD mast will have the best section shape under GP26 rule. And it will be offered at a premium.

#5 and #6 will have JPD mast build by Jim Donovan. 

On #3, cabin top installment will be finished by Jim.  Cabin top equipment has been revised and since the mast arrived late from the manufacturer, we did not have time to put up the mast in the yard to finish the installment.

#49 Harry Pattison

Harry Pattison

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Good plan! 

Jim, did you ever get a boat into southern California? I know someone that may be looking for something along this line.

#50 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Update from production...

We have deck 5 out of the mold, both sides faired.

Deck 6 in the mold, fairing continues inside.

Deck Mold ready for lamination, fibers cut, starting in a few days

And Hull3 arriving in USA in less than a week.

Launching hull4, demo boat this week...

Attached Files

#51 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

a lot going on these days.

2603 in the the USA.  expected to clear the customs in a week.

2604 launched

2605 hull production started. (Lifting keel for a client from Florida)

Attached Files

#52 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

2603 landed in New York

Attached Files

#53 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

2603 landed in New York

Jim will be in NY this weekend setting her up.  Those of you interested please contact him thru www.jpdonovandesign.com

#54 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,761 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Anything come up to the midwest?  looks like a boat I'd fall in love with.

#55 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

2603 landed in New York

Jim will be in NY this weekend setting her up.  Those of you interested please contact him thru www.jpdonovandesign.com

NY is a big place..., do you mean New York City?

#56 Jim Donovan

Jim Donovan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

2603 landed in New York

NY is a big place..., do you mean New York City?

Huntington, NY ; Long Island

#57 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Just write a check and I am sure they can have it dropped off in your driveway.   Oh the check writing part is the starting gun................................... :rolleyes:  

Anything come up to the midwest?  looks like a boat I'd fall in love with.

#58 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Here is a look at the lifting keel frame.

Attached Files

#59 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

This is sort of very short notice but, test sailing Hull#0, Kevin Farrar's home built boat of the same design is available in Connecticut Monday Nov 4th.

Please contact Jim Donovan for making arrangements.

Picture from yesterdays sailing

Attached Files

#60 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Meanwhile building continues on lift keel #5 and #6.  We were at Annapolis Boat show with #3 about 3 weeks ago. 

The boat is running for Sailing World Magasine's BOTY. New pictures coming up shortly...

#61 DC/Chicago

DC/Chicago

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:21 AM

Here is a look at the lifting keel frame.

What makes the lifting keel more expansive ? And by how much?

Dorin

#62 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

OK. It took a while to dig this tread out of the hole in sailing anarchy.

Our tread is very active in sportboat anarchy http://forums.sailin...howtopic=112384

Here is an update for those anaware of the Sportboat Anarchy Tread.

We have now lifting keel hulls 5 and 6 sailing in the East Coast.

Both are Launched late in the summer,

Hull5, Picaron had some good results recently in PHRF agians the fleet in Miami area. 

Hull6 did not have much time to sail before the winter kicked in.  So we are expecitng to hear more come spring time.

Hull4 going to West Coast beginning of the New Year.

And the web page has recently been updated www.wraceboats.com

#63 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

Where is #4 headed? The West Coast is at least 1,000 miles from one end to the other.

#64 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Where is #4 headed? The West Coast is at least 1,000 miles from one end to the other.

I heard a certain website owner is getting it.

#65 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,186 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

He sails?

#66 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

I heard a certain website owner is getting it.

Trevor B, no4 is headed to San Diego Area. Perhaps a sail can be arranged thru Jim if you are nearby.

#67 Kevin Farrar

Kevin Farrar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

Will Wraceboats be at METS in a couple of weeks?

Kevin

#68 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

Will Wraceboats be at METS in a couple of weeks?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

METS is a great show for suppliers. Not a showcase for boats though. Are you going?  We will be down in Miami for Stricly Sail.

#69 Kevin Farrar

Kevin Farrar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yes, I will be there if you will be there please pm me as it would be great to meet up.
Kevin

#70 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hull7 sold to Annapolis MD, and construction begins as soon as materials arrive.

hull2 leading the sportsboat championship series in Hong Kong.

hull4 about to be sent to San Diego...

HK RESULTS AT http://www.rhkyc.org...ionships Series

#71 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

2602 won the Sportboat Championship Series in Hong Kong,

Congratulations to Stingray and Crew...

Results are at http://www.rhkyc.org...onships Overall

A picture from our archive

Attached Files

#72 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

2608 shipped, out of class spec with a diesel inboard.

Attached Files

#73 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

Doesn't look like  you want to be sitting on the head when they retract the bowsprit !

Is the boat bound for a US customer ?  Curious decision to go with the inboard diesel - but darn handy in a lot of places.  Can't imagine the 26'er needs much grunt - that has to be the smallest powerplant Yanmar (or whoever) makes - I wonder what the whole installation weighed in at with panel, tanks, exhaust & plumbing.

#74 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,563 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Doesn't look like  you want to be sitting on the head when they retract the bowsprit !

Maybe that's why the Sporties call them "prods" instead of sprits??!!? :lol:

#75 trimfast

trimfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

the head looks offset, i welcome the prod being something to hold onto while trying to pinch one bashing upwind. Steady as she goes, literally.

#76 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:05 AM

How watertight do you figure the prodder is? This could be handy as a bidet if things get a little messy...

Mex

#77 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

I think the only real difference is that the GP 26 doesn't have any cushions in it in these photos.

When I designed the interior of the Mumm 30, we put a stove, sink and cooler moldings in the boat. These turned out to be the most useless items in the boat - impossible to use effectively on a smaller high performance yacht.

I'm afraid the nice photo of the Dart interior with the kids and cushions is quite a different reality with a grown-up sitting down below in 20 knots.
I doubt you'll want the cushions/giant sponges onboard for that.

The newest GP 26s have built-in storage bins in the topsides section of the keel frame; you'll want to keep your wallet and cell phone up out of the bilge. You can also fully fit the boat with cushions for weekending, and I suspect the boat may actually be more comfy that the Dart due to it's size.

Below are photos of the pretty Dart interior vs. the reality of a sportboat drying out after a days sail (Mumm 30).

and some from outside

This boat looks like A Chicago Summer Sleigh Ride.

Thanks guys, but I have to ask whit Scot sailing your GP26 and the Shaw ### in SD for a while and not seeming to get traction in the sport boat arena, where do you see a fleet building.
I know many that are tired of PHRF and J24's  in So Cal.

Do you have people talking about Class Building?

Next, if you have anyone in So Cal buying one or Windseekeryachts bringing one to So Cal, I'd love to see how I can fit in one.

I do have my own boat but it is under canvased and rated way wrong by phrf. Yes I am a performance oriented guy, I just don't have use of my legs..

#78 012345

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:18 AM

Dawg, I don't want to derail this thread, but both Scott's boat and the older Dees GP-26 are both for sale in San Diego. You should be able to get aboard both of those.. There's also a FT 7.5 for sale in town.

#79 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:33 AM

Dawg, I don't want to derail this thread, but both Scott's boat and the older Dees GP-26 are both for sale in San Diego. You should be able to get aboard both of those.. There's also a FT 7.5 for sale in town.

I need to sail one and I am not impressed with the way Scot modified the boat.

Class racing is the future and if the builders and importer do not have a clue about that then the boat will be short lived.

If my 40 years (including 11 yrs making sails and numerous years of class and disabled) of sailing have taught me anything, it is what is the Builder thinking?

Just look at what the builders of the 2.4mR, Skud 18 and the Sonar have brought to Paralympic Sailing.........................Eliminated. That is 3 builders who have no clue what there target is.

So who is the target of Wrace Boats????????????????????

A bunch of nobodies who will buy a few boats and then bail because there is no continuity, which the builder has shown with too many configurations?
I'm just asking questions and showing interest. 

I do like the boat. But which one will and which configuration reign supreme? The best way to kill a class is to not have a class. Rating systems in America SUCK when it comes to sport boats.

#80 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:57 AM

I need to sail one and I am not impressed with the way Scot modified the boat.
Class racing is the future and if the builders and importer do not have a clue about that then the boat will be short lived.

If my 40 years (including 11 yrs making sails and numerous years of class and disabled) of sailing have taught me anything, it is what is the Builder thinking?
Just look at what the builders of the 2.4mR, Skud 18 and the Sonar have brought to Paralympic Sailing.........................Eliminated. That is 3 builders who have no clue what there target is.

So who is the target of Wrace Boats????????????????????
A bunch of nobodies who will buy a few boats and then bail because there is no continuity, which the builder has shown with too many configurations?
I'm just asking questions and showing interest. 

I do like the boat. But which one will and which configuration reign supreme? The best way to kill a class is to not have a class. Rating systems in America SUCK when it comes to sport boats.

Hi Dawg,
I will reply more in pm. But in short, we see fleet is building up in east coast. Annapolis will have 3 boats that is quite likely to increase to 4 with us moving SD boat there in next few days.
+2 in connecticut
+1 in Ny
+1 in Miami
We have owners interested in class racing. all the boats except no8 complies with GP26 class rules. No8 is going to Detroit for summer and miami for winter sailing.
We are in contact with Jim to have JP Donovan-Wraceboats26 class. I think this will happen in 2016

#81 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

How watertight do you figure the prodder is? This could be handy as a bidet if things get a little messy...

Mex

:lol:

#82 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,563 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

Interesting comments about fleet building?  Since handicap racing is clearly less appealing to many, than one design; how do fleets get developed by modest groups of like minded sailors?  Or is it just the wealthy, like NYYC that can get together and buy a half dozen Swan 42's etc? 

A couple years ago we had 4 or so M-24's, but only for a short while.  Now one or two race PHRF only.  Our Etchells fleet that began 16 years ago had up to ten boats ten years ago, then dwindled, and starting to build back up now, but with family, work and other competing things for everyones time, it's sometimes hard to get 3 boats and crews available at the same time....

#83 Kevin Farrar

Kevin Farrar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Dawg,

If you can find your way to eastern Connecticut you can go sailing on mine.

Kevin Farrar

#84 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

Dawg,

Kevin Farrar

as always...thx Kevin. <_<

#85 Hawaiidart

Hawaiidart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

The fluffy cushions on my Dart came in pretty handy during Transpac.  No, silly,  I didn't sail it in Transpac.    But I did catch a few hours of sleep now and then while doing my Harbor Operations duties for the Honolulu Committee.  By the way, the Dart has got to be the driest (down below) boat I've owned.  The GP 26 looks like a lot of fun and is no doubt a quality product.

#86 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:37 AM

Dawg,

Kevin Farrar

as always...thx Kevin. <_<

Thanks Kevin, PM sent.

#87 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

We are upto hull#10 in production which is due to be shipped in a few days. In 2016 we will have 8 boats sailing in East Coast USA... And running this special for the season.

meanwhile hull8 with inboard is launched and looking good with special paint job done in Detroit

Attached Files

#88 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:06 AM

original write up By YardDog on sportboat anarchy...

Posted Today, 12:14 AM
We sailed 2604 last Saturday in a pretty good blow, and it was a blast. 

Four of us ghosted out of the Patuxent (where 04 is being kept preparatory to going south for KWRW) into the Bay in maybe five knots of wind when a front blew through and the wind piped up to 20 and probably more.  We were out for a romp and didn't bother with the instruments which are Tack Ticks and not worth bothering with anyway so any numbers here are estimates. 

The first thing we noticed as the wind built was how difficult it was to time and call puffs.  On a heavier boat you can call a puff in 3-2-1 and feel the boat heel and the wind pressure as the puff hits.  This boat accelerates with the wind as the puff builds so that the initial wind velocity translates into boat speed, even at lower wind speeds.  You don't so much feel the puff as notice the boat accelerate.  Any countdown to a puff is invariably mistimed and early.   

We had the number one up when the wind hit in earnest, and while the boat was unhappy and overpowered, it was not unmanageable, better when we put a short hoist three up.  Jim Donovan said there was sufficient bow volume designed in to handle waves and the boat proved it.  The 26 rides like a larger boat.  We didn't get tossed by the waves so much as were able to helm our way through them.

That was also true when we turned the corner and put a kite up.  OMG what a ride.  At first the boat speed is intimidating, but then you settle in to the notion that the boat can handle it and it gets really enjoyable.  Well, a lot more than enjoyable.  The hull form is incredibly slippery.  If I said how fast I think we were going you wouldn't believe me.  Suffice it to say it was fooking fast. Mistakes can be made and we did wipe out twice, but they weren't bad and we recovered quickly with some hard pumps on the tiller and were off again.  We needed a bit more weight on the boat in that wind and better distributed in the stern, better sail handling and at the helm, but it was our second time out on the boat so we learned a few things.

No one was frowning at the end of the day.

We sailed in both light and heavy conditions within a relatively short time, and the boat was quick and willing in both conditions.  It will be a giant killer in light air and reward skilled crews with a spirited and controlled ride in a blow.

One long-time crew member summed up the run home as "the best ten minutes I have ever spent on a sailboat," and he has been around a few.

#89 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Fighting fires, sailing, travel.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:42 AM

One long-time crew member summed up the run home as "the best ten minutes I have ever spent on a sailboat," and he has been around a few.

Has this boat been around a decade or something longer than I realized?  Or does "long term" mean something else these days?

#90 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like an experienced crew...these boats are pretty new over the past 2-3 years but starting to get some traction in the US.

#91 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

Has this boat been around a decade or something longer than I realized?  Or does "long term" mean something else these days?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that YD meant someone who has been sailing as crew on any of his boats including this powered-up effer

Attached File  OOAHstart.jpg   330.35KB   21 downloads

But, like I say, just a guess....could mean just about anything.

#92 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

2609 rigged in B. Jabins Boatyard, Annapolis

Attached Files

#93 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that YD meant someone who has been sailing as crew on any of his boats including this powered-up effer

attachicon.gifOOAHstart.jpg

But, like I say, just a guess....could mean just about anything.

LOL  :)

#94 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

That keel looks like it will be excellent at collecting crab pots.

#95 Yard Dog

Yard Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

That's why we steer around them.

#96 Raz'r

Raz'r

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,186 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Unless you're hungry?
Just curious, are the NorCal coastal races like the farallones and spinnaker cup cat b or c?

#97 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

We concluded KeyWestRaceWeek 2016 in 2nd place in ORC2 with 2604. Excellent driving by Mike, great calls by Joe and generally great crew work from all team. The result is special, considering the 5 of the 6 people were new to the boat and most of them new to each other...
Results are here

Great job team...
Well Done!

#98 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

Not a good result though versus a J-80 under ORC!

Is the GP 26 going to be worth the coin under handicap racing?

Is the GP 26 going to be worth the coin under level/handicap racing, given the many different models already offered?

#99 windseekeryachts

windseekeryachts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

Not a good result though versus a J-80 under ORC!

Is the GP 26 going to be worth the coin under handicap racing?

Is the GP 26 going to be worth the coin under level/handicap racing, given the many different models already offered?

Nice comprehension of results. Worst WraceboatsGP26 is ahead of j80 is abt 4 minutes in a 60min race. The boat is sailing head to head with 28footers and You dont question the validity of J80 rating but question if the WraceboatsGP26 is worth the coin under handicap?

Try to fit the time on course numbers into PHRF perspective...and ask that question again...

#100 Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

...Computer says no.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GP26, sportboat, Jim Donovan, Wraceboats, windseekeryachts, farrar sails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users