3128 replies to this topic

#901 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Liking the North American schedule for rags 100 in 2015. Will be fun to see her here in Newport again. I was much younger when Maximus was around to do Bermuda.

#902 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Is Syd gonna match Karl Kwok in the " I'm doing more races worldwide than the next bloke "  this year .. and next 

...I appreciate kwok's seemingly sincere appreciation of the sport--if nothing else,he sure enjoys a front row seat.

...and has done so for quite some time!

#903 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

As well as those, there will be a great battle amongst the 10 Clipper fleet.

There has been a lot of bashing about these boats and it will be interesting to see how they perform with some of the boats we know in the fleet.
I suspect they will do OK if it blows a bit.

Does anyone know if the Clippers have IRC ratings, or will they just have their own race-within-a-race? And if they are required to have endorsed IRC certs like the rest of the fleet I'd be amazed if they all had the same rating.
1.291 for the 70s
1.209 for the 68s
Or something very close to that

#904 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

The boat has done about 5000 miles since it was installed, quite a few of those under racing conditions. You need to give Hugh Welbourn a bit more credit, he's a VERY intelligent man.

Hugh Welbourn = MC2

#905 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Is Syd gonna match Karl Kwok in the " I'm doing more races worldwide than the next bloke "  this year .. and next 

...I appreciate kwok's seemingly sincere appreciation of the sport--if nothing else,he sure enjoys a front row seat. 
...and has done so for quite some time!

well in perspective
.. if that is 'quite some time' then whats Rags/Syds descriptive phrase ?

abbo, 'they' say that WO paid a licence to DSS (HW), yet developed their own foil,
the AoA may be greater to as they are angling for longitudinal trim not only lateral(RM)

#906 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Women, Whiskey & Wine.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Screenshot2013-12-17205804_zpsc772c181.j

Only one race in 2014 for the 100 - seems like a bit of a waste?

#907 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Apparently the owner of Giacomo has put a million on him winning- Very brave(stupid?) decision!

In the right conditions she'll fly but blackjack will be very tough for them to beat

#908 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Rags stability test done, and no more black spot on the side : ow.ly/i/43wfJ 

#909 tismith

tismith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

When I read the article on the RS2H website, I took it to mean that he had spent the money on the boat, not a bet.

Here is the relevant quote: "Delegat spent the money on the winner of the last Volvo Ocean Race, the  Volvo 70 Groupama 4."

#910 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

So anyone know exactly what Rags has undertaken, looks like daggerboards, longer sprit etc..?

Possible Finish Order:

1. Wild Oats

2. Loyal

3. Beau Geste

4. Rags 100

5. Black Jack

6. Wild Thing

7. Giacomo

Anyone want to throw theirs in do it now.

#911 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'd swap your 3 with 4 and 6 with 7. If blackjack beats wild thing, then giacomo will too

#912 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

1. Loyal

2. Wild Oats

3. Rags

4. Beau Geste

5. Black Jack

6. Giacomo

7. Wild Thing

Handicap

1. Beau Geste

2. Ichi Ban

3. Wild Rose

#913 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

1. Loyal

2. Beau Geste

3. Wo X1

4. Rags

5. Giacomo

6. Black Jack

7. Wild Thing

#914 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

When I read the article on the RS2H website, I took it to mean that he had spent the money on the boat, not a bet.

Here is the relevant quote: "Delegat spent the money on the winner of the last Volvo Ocean Race, the  Volvo 70 Groupama 4."

I read it the same way as you.

#915 corkob

corkob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Monohull Offshore racing

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

He would want to be some muppet to place a $1m bet on that race. What with canting keels, forward rudders, lateral foils, vertical foils, lift and separate, waterline length, wind, weather routing, twin rudders, nano-tech rigs, R1's, form stability, Olympic talent, mega money, Stan Honey, Juan K, Shaun Carkeek, Jacobs Creek, Tik Toc, IRC, B&G, ORC, Ricko, Anto, Karl, Matt, Syd and Wharro .... geeez........

#916 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:03 AM

The $1m on Giacomo was purchase price not a bet.  The bookies aren't stupid and would never take such a bet.  A big plonk like that would make it instant favourite but you can still get $40 - 70 on it depending on where you go.  WO is still favourite at a measly $1.80.

For anyone seeking value, the handicap market has Ichi Ban favourite at $10 and everything else longer.

#917 Rossy

Rossy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Yeh that's gonna be interesting!
I don't see Ichi Ban getting up but as with any Hobart, it's up to Mother Nature.

Patrice for mine!

The $1m on Giacomo was purchase price not a bet.  The bookies aren't stupid and would never take such a bet.  A big plonk like that would make it instant favourite but you can still get $40 - 70 on it depending on where you go.  WO is still favourite at a measly $1.80.

For anyone seeking value, the handicap market has Ichi Ban favourite at $10 and everything else longer.

#918 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

Well Syd does own TWO Supermaxis. Sydney City Marine, IMS raggamuffin, and I'd say he still has the odd 12meter kicking around so might not win the most races record but certainly wins the cool as hell old dude award!!!!

#919 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

Patrice is $34 on handicap.  The top few in that market are

Ichi Ban                      $10

Wild Rose                   $11

Victoire                       $12

Beau Geste                $13

Midnight Rambler       $14

Black Jack                  $15

Wild Oats                    $15

Loyal                           $17

#920 Tasj

Tasj

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

Finish mark has just been dropped in the Derwent!

#921 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

Where did you get those odds please ?

Can't believe Brannew isn't in there, ma favorite if it's mostly upwind.

#922 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

Brannew is $19.  Full fleet here at Unibet

#923 Rushman

Rushman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

So anyone know exactly what Rags has undertaken, looks like daggerboards, longer sprit etc..?

Has Rags had water ballast before?

There appears to be an area on the hull that is freshly painted that looks like water outlet http://ow.ly/i/43wfJ

#924 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

It's just poorly written.  I wish we could bet on the race here!

Can a non-australian bet when in country?  As late as Christmas?

#925 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, family, renovating my house, all aspects of media and advertising.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

Mate, just get someone here to do it for you.  

#926 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm not sure, but if you can't then all you need is a friend with a smartphone that you trust (or some other friends to break his legs later). :)

I think you will be seriously surprised just how big of an industry sports betting is in this country and how much advertising you will see about it.

#927 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Location:Tinh Gia, Central North Province, Vietnam, but I still call Australia home.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

Not sure, but I know SportsBet.com.au requires an Aussie street address to register.

Wouldn't be hard to get one, but might be hard to cash in a BIG win.

Normal bets would just go to the betting account, so I couldn't really see an issue.

#928 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

You can bet from anywhere in Canada or UK.  If you have access to a cloaking app you could always use that.  Trouble is, every one I ever saw makes you look like an American, just not yourself. 

In sports betting this race is peanuts.  So far Betfair's total hold on the race has not cracked $2000.  The cricket match starting on the same day has a pool of $63,000 already and that's just one bookie.

#929 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

I was just told that the CYCA is making only very limited space available for media; apparently they don't have much in the way of media boats.  Starting to look for alternatives so as not to be beholden to them.  If you have some ideas or a nice ride that can keep up with the fleet, please hit me at clean@sailinganarchy.com.

I have a friend with a good view on the hill right above rush cutter's.  would that be a good place to watch and report from, assuming I had enough zoom?

#930 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

I was just told that the CYCA is making only very limited space available for media; apparently they don't have much in the way of media boats.  Starting to look for alternatives so as not to be beholden to them.  If you have some ideas or a nice ride that can keep up with the fleet, please hit me at clean@sailinganarchy.com.

I have a friend with a good view on the hill right above rush cutter's.  would that be a good place to watch and report from, assuming I had enough zoom?

No you need a power boat capable of good speeds and heading out into the ocean.  The exclusion zones in the harbour are crowded and speed limits apply, most of the fleet will be out in the ocean within 30 minutes of the start and the start line isn't visible from Rushcutters Bay.  Eastsail might have a large power catamaran going out - comemrcial but good platform, otherwise plenty of commercial offerings around at low cost.  Plus no doubt any number of anarchists with boats or contacts.

#931 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Not too worried yet, but definitely a little surprised to hear how limited the CYCA's support is.  Not too surprised though!

#932 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, family, renovating my house, all aspects of media and advertising.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

Get with the 18's guys. If they can follow that fleet about and produce great video every week then they can help you. Mind you, not sure if that particular driver/anarchist is your biggest fan mate!

#933 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

Get with the 18's guys. If they can follow that fleet about and produce great video every week then they can help you. Mind you, not sure if that particular driver/anarchist is your biggest fan mate!

Excellent Plan Teaky

#934 DickDastardly

DickDastardly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

Yeh that's gonna be interesting!
I don't see Ichi Ban getting up but as with any Hobart, it's up to Mother Nature.

Patrice for mine!

+1

Plus Midnight Rambler with a brand new sail inventory.  I hear Ed plans to retire after this one.

#935 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

Thought there was a 70' power boat offered earlier.

That would be an ideal base, as you could easily get out the heads and follow for a while.

Turning mark/s at the heads is where you need to be straight after the start.

Depending on where you are at the start and the breeze you may be hard pushed to do both and get a good spot though.

Mrs Leka has done the CY spectator boat a few times.

They are allowed inside the exclusion zone and would be a good platform.

Dont recall them going outside the heads though.

Would be best for the start line though.

#936 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Well Syd does own TWO Supermaxis. Sydney City Marine, IMS raggamuffin, and I'd say he still has the odd 12meter kicking around so might not win the most races record but certainly wins the cool as hell old dude award!!!!

mate the 52 in the right hand column is the TP ex Morning Light(ex PKs Pegasus), Syd collected it from Hawaii after the footage from the docu-movie was complete

#937 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

If you want to bet on the race Clean there is always TAB Sportsbet.  They have terminals in most bars so you will have to bet by 24 December or earlier.  Bars are shut on Christmas Day.  They only have a market on line honours so that means choosing between current prices WO $1.70, Loyal $2.15 and Ragamuffin $6.40.

#938 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

That would be an ideal base, as you could easily get out the heads and follow for a while.

Depending on where you are at the start and the breeze you may be hard pushed to do both and get a good spot though.

There was a 70 ' powerboat on offer,but we have pulled the plug. Nobody wanted to come, of those invited, so it wasn't worth flying the skipper in. The maths didn't work! So it's tv for us.

#939 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

mate the 52 in the right hand column is the TP ex Morning Light(ex PKs Pegasus), Syd collected it from Hawaii after the footage from the docu-movie was complete

So as a minimum
100 rags
90 rags
TP52 rags
IMS 51/52 rags

Then who knows 12 meters, ex admirals cup boats???

Your right he is challenging for most races!

Who's pulling the strings for Syd. He'd have to have a couple of full time guys to run all this. Where do I apply?????

#940 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Pubs shut on Xmas day? I don't think so...maybe your local but HEAPs in syd are open. Leagues clubs etc... List goes on.

#941 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Good luck with getting a bet on

#942 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

So as a minimum
100 rags
90 rags
TP52 rags
IMS 51/52 rags

Who's pulling the strings for Syd. He'd have to have a couple of full time guys to run all this. Where do I apply?????

its no secret google it, you already mentioned his boat SCM

#943 greasy al

greasy al

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

.Is Syd gonna match Karl Kwok in the " I'm doing more races worldwide than the next bloke "  this year .. and next 

So as a minimum
100 rags
90 rags
TP52 rags
IMS 51/52 rags

Under the heading "pay optional".

#944 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

I read it the same way as you.

On re-reading it I see the same thing. That's what you get for studying too hard with too much coffee

#945 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

So as a minimum
100 rags
90 rags
TP52 rags
IMS 51/52 rags

its no secret google it, you already mentioned his boat SCM

Yeah sure there are a few guys at SCM doing the work and getting told what to do but is there someone that is whispering in Syd ear saying but this, buy that one, keep that we'll race it when we can etc or does he come up with all these purchases and modifications himself still?

Oats and Loyal are average bets. Throw $50 at Rags I reckon.

#946 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

There was a 70 ' powerboat on offer,but we have pulled the plug. Nobody wanted to come, of those invited, so it wasn't worth flying the skipper in. The maths didn't work! So it's tv for us.

your'e kidding Ump, you could have stayed in the UK 

get on a boat !

Attached File  Screenshot 2013-12-18 23.20.16.png   726.63K   18 downloads

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

http://www.boxingdaycruises.com/

http://my247.com.au/...ses-2013.274678

http://www.rolexsydn...ctator-vessels/

or at least take the 324 / 325 bus to South Head(pref)  or Nielson Park

#947 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Funnily enough Killo contacted us already.  Apparently we supply about half the hits that the 18footers.com.au site gets, and far more than that of their Youtube stuff.  Win!  Unfortunately they are already contracted to the Channel 7 guys.

Will keep you all posted.  Also have a solution to the interweb problem...i think. 

#948 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm doing $50 on Rags

Old girl is ready

Attached Files

#949 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

your'e kidding Ump, you could have stayed in the UK 

get on a boat !

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2013-12-18 23.20.16.png

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

http://www.boxingdaycruises.com/

http://my247.com.au/...ses-2013.274678

http://www.rolexsydn...ctator-vessels/

or at least take the 324 / 325 bus to South Head(pref)  or Nielson Park

Thanks for that GS. Would love to but I'm in Portsea now. We were going to fly up in morning!

#950 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Has Rags had water ballast before?

There appears to be an area on the hull that is freshly painted that looks like water outlet http://ow.ly/i/43wfJ

Confirmed water ballast has just been installed.  Apparently a lot of work on keel bearings and hydraulics also.

#951 Gibbo_aus

Gibbo_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'll be on one of the Media Boats - If you want to say Gday - get in touch with me

#952 Captain Gumby

Captain Gumby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sailing?! Offshore cruising and racing. Mucking about on Sydney Harbour

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

BOM forecast is now showing up to Christmas Day.  Looking like a very fast run down..

http://www.bom.gov.a...rine/wind.shtml

#953 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

BOM forecast is now showing up to Christmas Day.  Looking like a very fast run down..

http://www.bom.gov.a...rine/wind.shtml

way  to far out.., but todays 12Z GFS has a cold front crossing the course by ~12Z saturday.., so some boats might see southerlies. Euro, which is what the BOM is using for extended forecast doesn't seem to show it

#954 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

"What with canting keels, forward rudders, lateral foils, vertical foils, lift and separate, waterline length, wind, weather routing, twin rudders, nano-tech rigs, R1's, form stability, Olympic talent, mega money, Stan Honey, Juan K, Shaun Carkeek, Jacobs Creek, Tik Toc, IRC, B&G, ORC, Ricko, Anto, Karl, Matt, Syd and Wharro .... geeez........"

Is that the secret missing verse from Billy Joels' classic: We didn't start the fire?

#955 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race gets underway in eight days time on Boxing Day, and while yachting meteorologist Roger Badham’s crystal ball is still a little fuzzy, the crew of Bob Oatley’s champion yacht, the 30-metre supermaxi, Wild Oats XI, are liking what he’s telling them.

Badham says that if he had to make a prediction today it would be for a relatively fast downwind race.

'Generally, it is looking like a downhill race for the first 24 to 36 hours,' Badham said.

However, he tempered his thoughts on the weather for the race by adding: 'This is an outlook, and not forecast – the difference being that the outlook is fuzzy and vague and the forecast tries to be definitive!'

Sydney-based Badham, who is recognised as one of the world’s preeminent yachting meteorologists, expects to release his first weather forecast for the race tomorrow.

Should his current outlook prove to be accurate, this year’s Hobart classic could have shades of the famous 1975 race when the American Jim Kilroy’s maxi ketch, Kialoa, set a course record time that stood for 21-years. Her time was 2 days, 14 hours, 36 minutes, 56 seconds. A new record race record mark has been set on only four occasions over the 37 years since then.

Last year Wild Oats XI established a new mark: 1 day, 18 hours, 23 minutes, 12 seconds.

'It’s early days, but the signs are that it could be an exciting downwind race for the big boats,' said Wild Oats XI’s skipper, Mark ‘Ricko’ Richards. 'It’s the actual direction and strength of the wind that will decide the result. If it’s downwind then we will be a chance to beat our arch rival, Perpetual Loyal, but if it’s reaching across the wind it will possibly be a different story, particularly if the wind is strong.

'It’s going to be an interesting few days for everyone as we watch the weather pattern for the race unfold. The only thing for certain right now is that this is going to be the most challenging and exciting Hobart race in a long, long time.'
It’s a common held belief among Hobart race sailors that, given ideal conditions, a supermaxi, or something similar, could reach Hobart in around 24 hours.  

#956 Rushman

Rushman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

Wild Thing is a dangerous boat it seems..... Finger lost before the race has even started!

#957 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

"What with canting keels, forward rudders, lateral foils, vertical foils, lift and separate, waterline length, wind, weather routing, twin rudders, nano-tech rigs, R1's, form stability, Olympic talent, mega money, Stan Honey, Juan K, Shaun Carkeek, Jacobs Creek, Tik Toc, IRC, B&G, ORC, Ricko, Anto, Karl, Matt, Syd and Wharro .... geeez........"

Is that the secret missing verse from Billy Joels' classic: We didn't start the fire?

The fire that's burning through wallets

#958 HKG1997

HKG1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

I've heard there is going to be an appearance from this wonderful piece of maritime engineering. 

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=126442

#959 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

I've heard there is going to be an appearance from this wonderful piece of maritime engineering. 

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=126442

Excellent!!

Maybe Clean could use it as a reporting platform.

Surely it could follow the fleet down the coast for a few hours???

#960 Philc

Philc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

I will be on the Mid line Start Boat with PY and the crew. If we have no OCS's we up anchor and follow as we are a committee boat.

#961 dachopper

dachopper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Woats

:blink:

#962 HKG1997

HKG1997

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:17 AM

wild-oats,large.jpg?1377652030

Wild Oats XI Credit Mark O'Brien www.monstacartoons.com

#963 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

wild-oats,large.jpg?1377652030

Wild Oats XI Credit Mark O'Brien www.monstacartoons.com

Very good.

Whats that dripping of the front though?

Bowmen's blood? Sunfish?

#964 Spargo

Spargo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hahaha that is brilliant!

If they had a sense of humour (I suspect they don't) they'd get that put on a bloody great kite.

#965 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

Alright y'all - let's hear the form guides.  Best/most good responses get brand new Anarchy swag, I am bringing a box full.

#966 wildboats

wildboats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:yachts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

I managed to get on Patrice at $50 on monday night - unibet - put $20 on it

i like the look of this boat 

#967 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:49 AM

Price on Patrice is now $21.  The bookies be nervous.

If I owned a boat in this race I would collect $10 from each crew and back the boat.  It could pay for a mighty nice pissup.

#968 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

As long as you bring my rum!

Alright y'all - let's hear the form guides.  Best/most good responses get brand new Anarchy swag, I am bringing a box full.

#969 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

In the mid size, I'd be having a sniff at TK too on Patrice, he's due for it.

This would have to be one of the more open races in a while. Both line and overall.

Remember the winner of the Rolex Sydney Hobart race is NOT the first over the line.

#970 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

Price on Patrice is now $21.  The bookies be nervous.

If I owned a boat in this race I would collect $10 from each crew and back the boat.  It could pay for a mighty nice pissup.

Extensive news item on the Rolex Sydney to Hobart website on Patrice. Could be driving a bit of interest.

If it's a hard running race, you can count Wild Rose out of the mix. Plus any of the Div3 caravans.

Could one of the fast 50s get to the corner before is all turns to custard? Varuna or Victoire could be work a look...

More likely Beau Geste or Ichi Ban for the Tatts Cup. Or a sneeky wager on Wild Thing as her IRC handicap is looking pretty flash these days with the short rig and age allowance... ;)

Mex

#971 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

As long as you bring my rum!

Remind me phil; is it Gosling's that you crave?  it's been a while and I aint' got many brain cells left...

#972 wildboats

wildboats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:35 AM

where's LOKI this year ?

#973 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:43 AM

Retired and for sale

#974 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

Retired and for sale

IIRC Loki's owner decided that cycling was a better sport.

Said last year was his last one as the fun had gone out of it.

#975 trt

trt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hahaha that is brilliant!

If they had a sense of humour (I suspect they don't) they'd get that put on a bloody great kite.

They certainly have a sense of humour.  It was them who named it the Swiss Army Knife first !!!

#976 Strayned

Strayned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

If you get really stuck the offer of a Beneteau Oceanis 50 is still there, but we're not going to be very quick to keep up with the fleet...

#977 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Attached File  Screenshot 2013-12-19 20.17.50.jpg   259.89K   69 downloads

Rags Syd and Witty been a little busy 

#978 wildboats

wildboats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Retired and for sale

IIRC Loki's owner decided that cycling was a better sport.

Said last year was his last one as the fun had gone out of it.

yeah OK - just been reading about it.

so winning S2H last year in that awesome yacht wasn't enough fun.

Cycling around centennial park at age 58 is!

WTF is this guy thinking!!

#979 LDH

LDH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

TK tells me he put $500 on :) "you may as well back yourself!"

#980 LDH

LDH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Btw - when do the ratings go up on the website? Same time as the div splits?

#981 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

forget the vino e.g Wild Oats or (giacomo) Oyster Bay wines, how about a TRANSPAC Merlin Trophy

line honours BEER

581684_287909471349112_572073544_n.jpg

#982 wildboats

wildboats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

any yacht with it's own beer deserves to win the S2H

#983 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

LOL

especially if you have to win Transpac to first get your own Beer!

I think the question is how much faster a boat could she be with daggers, optimisation and such

pretty well on the pace before with a win two years ago

the favourites won't sail away over the horizon on her imo, she'll be there in position waiting for a mistake or gear failure from faves, or closer ?? 

#984 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Rags 100 was always on the tender side. Lacked the stability of Oats. Langman wanted to put water ballast in it before the divorce. Bell added 200kgs to the bulb the year they won. Would have made a difference but if I remember rightly, there was not a lot of solid upwind work that year for the 100's. The year before that when I sailed on it, there was a fair chunk of heavy upwind and we couldn't hang with Oats at all.

If the rumours are right and there is now ballast in Rags, it could be the difference it needs to bring it that bit closer to Oats across the board.

#985 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Looking forward to seeing how Rags performs, well done Syd for giving her a tickle. I'll be stuck to the tracker after the race starts to see how all these boats perform. Looking like a NNE start so Oats will be happy, so will Beau Geste and a few others I'm tipping. I think Wild Thing might even enjoy the start, rumours are she is quite slippery downhill now. We may get 20 Knots + downhill for a period so will the Oats deploy the DSS and shock the fleet..? LOL

It's building.....

#986 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Big Boats 70-100'ers, been well covered. Oats obvious favourite, has the runs on the board, Loyal is the main threat for line honours (but who really gives a rats arse right?). Rags with it's recent changes will be better and in terms of straight line speed will be closer to Oats then ever before. They lack time on the water though and man for man, they probably don't have quite the same calibre of sailor as the Oats (and Loyal for that matter). Beau Geste is the great unknown, looks great and they are talking a big game but is it just the 2013 edition of Exile (66 footer) vs Brinda's (72 Foot at the time)? We all know water line is king but is it possible that 8 years of development can make up for 20 foot of waterline? A good campaigner, will likely beat Wild Thing home. The Volvo's will be nipping at the heels of this bunch and with the right conditions will be within reach of the maxi's.

The 50-60 footers is a likely place to look for an overall winner. Ichi Ban is a favourite but so far has not set the world on fire. Seemed tender for a modern IRC boat in the racing I have competed in against her. Great team will make the best of the conditions and will be there abouts. Wedgetail (ex RP55 Yendy's) is back and shouldn't be forgotten. She is a god uphill boat and is a possible for the "flying under the radar" award. Good size boat to reach tasman light at the right time. 2 1st Generation TP52's Free Fire and Strewth are there but will struggle offshore against the 3 Cookson 50's (Victoire (Ex Jazz, my ride this year), Pretty Fly and the fixed keel Terra Firma) will be amongst it if there is enough uphill and reaching conditions. The 2 Ker 50's Kerumba and Varuna are different in concept but got good pedigree. Kerumba hasn't set the world on fire locally and not much known down here about Varuna to give any sort of account on. The dark horse in this section will be Audi Sunshine Coast, the Welbourne 50 ex Heaven Can Wait. Good boat in the light, but struggled in a breeze (who would have ever thought that would be the case when she was re-launched in 04(??)) Previous winner SMB 3.5 is back as Primitive Cool but cant see it challenging the others this year.

The 40 foot section is the best in years. Celestial, Patrice, AFR, Chutzpah etc are all in with a good showing. All well sailed by solid and experienced teams. Possibly the most under rated but competitive segments of the fleet. Add to that a fleet of 4 Beneteau First 45's being led by Shinning Sea (ex Victoire, 2 x division winner), 4 x First 40's with Southport winner Brannew the pick of the bunch and the gaggle of Sydney 38's with Zen or TSA Management to lead the fleet of 5 home.

At the small boat end, if it is a solid blow home, Wild Rose, Luna Sea, Illusion and the S&S34 Wilparina are specials!

Betting wise, If I had a spare hundred, i'd be putting it on Patrice at $21, with the left over 50 going on Wild Rose. Hicko has had a golden run with the weather this season and has obviously takes advantage of it. Victoire, Rambler, Ichi Ban etc are all too short for any value for the overall win.

Line Honours I couldn't give a toss about, but for value, slip a few on Rags! 

Hows that Clean? Leave the swag on the old mans boat at the CYCA!

#987 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Be good to see a 68 beat a 70!!!
There's a challenge OA.

Prize? :P

Dinner in Hobart at a really lovely restaurant (discovered whilst on honeymoon). My shout.
:-)
68's 1.209 and 70s 1.291  - lydia is going to help me work out how long a 70 has to be stuck in the river before I collect dinner! :D

Staying home this Boxing Day... Coffs is the plan.

#988 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Nice write up.. but Terra is in Melbourne.....

#989 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Still too early for much confidence . . . but the early weather signs are for a "classic" pattern:

Downwind after getting out the heads:

Attached File  start.jpg   77.47K   29 downloads

And a front coming thru the straits (sometime the 27th) for light and then headwinds.

Attached File  27th.jpg   84.96K   35 downloads

(times on those charts are UTC)

#990 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

cool estar

another ..... BOM 'forecast wind' 7D 26th Dec 11am

1/2 days Running under 16 & 22 knots WS there, skinny arse boats should be pleased

WO first to the dk purple zone !? WT should like the deep DW  

i expect this will change!

Screenshot2013-12-20003527_zps3284009a.j

#991 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

That breeze should suit loyal/....

#992 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

how so?

did you see her attempt at running last tuesday, on video  ?  

no-ones even seen a VMG bag on her since moses was in shorts, but I guess she has one 

she''ll like the pink patch but follow t get there, a bit moot as early days in the forecast anyway 

#993 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Fuck its all happening now then!!!

What's the swag for again clean?

#994 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

When Speedboat was re-launched in Florida, she had one 'bag' sail out of about 30, and I was told it was specifically for ultra-light air VMG downwind (<6 knots), the only time it was faster than 'stiff' downwind sails.

#995 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Fuck its all happening now then!!!

What's the swag for again clean?

Give me a better form guide than WM's above so I can sit on my fat ass and copy and paste it into the front page on my 25 hour flight from the states to SYD rather than researching it myself

Not easy!

I am bringing a box of hats, belts, shirts, and jackets, and half of them are to give away...half to sell so i can eat...

#996 Abbo

Abbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:Kite Surfing, binge drinking.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

25 hours? What are you flying in? A single engine cesna?

#997 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hey it is a long way from Detroit to California, and then there is a layover...fucking Malaysia took us the better part of 32...

But then again I have the miles for an upgrade to Virgin's premium economy, which is like business class in lesser airlines.  so no bitching about that part!

#998 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Swap some of that swag for a nice bottle of bundy black.... :)

#999 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Swap some of that swag for a nice bottle of bundy black.... :)

There's no such thing as nice Bundy ;)

#1000 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,348 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Ima do my best to stay away from that shit this time around.  Last time I nearly died on the floor of the CYCA from an overdose of Bundy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users