Shute Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Years ago I ripped off my big toe nail.

I almost did it again, it fucking hurt.

I live in the tropics and I love the fact that thongs are smart casual, but sadley I must protect my feet.  I will no longer mow the lawn in thongs.

wAwoqTn.jpg

Only joking, not my foot,. but I've started wearing boot when working around the house.

It sucks.

#2 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Keen's or FILA Skeletoes:

http://www.keenfootw.../men/waterfront

https://www.google.c...ed=0CLEBEL8TMA4

The Skeletoes are similar but less expensive than Vibram 5-fingers shoes. Mine are holding up quite well. They are hard-soled, with toe protection. The Keen's are great for warm weather, boat work, provide good grip on deck, and general walking. The Skeletoes are better for cooler weather, and should be rinsed with fresh water after salt water immersion to prevent getting the "funk".

Both types of shoes are wonderful for boat work, but are just plain fugly, and will result in citations issued by the "fashion police", and should not really be worn in town.

#3 boomer

boomer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,204 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ouch! Hope you have a quick recovery Dale.

Our property is rolling and hilly. The steep sections get the weedeater, the rest get the riding lawn mower. Our house is built into the side of one of the hills. On the SW side of the house is a path which swithchbacks down to the lower level. Usually after cutting the upper section of the property, I'll take a shotcut by going over the bank with the foot on the brake and turning sharply to the left onto this path. Well I didn't press the brake hard enough initially going over the bank, the mower tilted on two wheels, so turned right and leaned left, and just kept her pointed straight down the hill. My thoughts while thinking of those spinning blades , I better not flip this bitch. My wife who was watching , shook her head and said, "I wish you wouldn't go that way anymore!"

#4 toddster

toddster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Yeah, I always wear boots for mowing.  Not the least because in my yard, the mower often leaves a trail of angry wasps and the occasional PO'd rattlesnake behind it.

But I have another problem with living on the sunny dry side of the mountains, but boating/diving over on the cold wet side.  Twice, I've driven all the way over there and realized that I hadn't taken any shoes at all with me.  Sunny and 90° when I left and drizzly 40's when I arrived.  Did you know there is no place at all to buy shoes in Anacortes?  (At least no place that was open before the boat sailed the next morning.)  I walked around in wetsuit booties for a week.  

I did it again Saturday but at least now that it's my own boat,  I could buy an extra pair of sneakers and a change of clothes to keep on board.  

Sort of the same thing happened a few years ago on a trip to Europe, but it was because the airline lost my luggage.  I had to be out working the next day, in the rain, but the only thing I could find in the little village that would fit me was a plastic poncho.  Later, I overheard some other guys talking "Those Oregon guys sure are tough.  It doesn't matter how cold and wet it is, they just show up in shorts and sandals!"  

#5 INFIDEL

INFIDEL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Sperry fucking Topsider man!

INFIDEL

#6 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,244 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Don't run with scissors either. Your Grandma should have taught you this.

#7 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

.  Did you know there is no place at all to buy shoes in Anacortes?

Ace Hardware, a block due East of Starbucks.....Croc's!!

Better than nothing and its a don't ask don't tell item.

#8 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

I decided to break my Topsiders habit.    We'll see how these work.

http://docksixchroni...s-huh-what.html

april2013blogpics056_zps61776265.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users