Antal XT vs Harken Performa - Any Thoughts?

winches self-tailing Antal Harken Performa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded sailing.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Looking for new winches for singlehanding. The construction of the Antal XT racing winches seems very similar to the Harken Performa, but I've seen some concerns about the Performa construction online (not formal reviews, nor my opinion - I have none). Anyone have experience with the Antal or Harkens care to comment? Thanks.

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

The Antals are superior IMHO

#3 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have the predecessor Antal model on Dragon, and just swapped out the mast winch to an XT.  In all cases I have the race version, which saves some weight.

• The rope grip is good.
  • The engineering and materials quality is top notch.
  • It is easy to strip it down, and easy to put it back together.  The new version of the XT has a very simple screw top that holds it all together while the old version has a more complicated split ring.  The assembly is such that it is pretty straight forward to figure out how to piece it back together, and pretty hard to lose pieces.
  • I put a lot of miles on the boat, upwards of 5,000 a year.  I find that the winches need to be stripped down and cleaned every 1,000 to 1,500 miles.  They can go longer, but they start to complain a bit after 3,000 miles.
  • They stand up to abuse well.

That is about it.  I don't have any experience with the Harkens, but can recommend the Antals.  If I had it to do all over again, I would pick them again.

#4 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, just the information I was looking for...so where did you purchase them? The XT Race version seems hard to find. John

#5 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Call Euromarine Trading - they are the US importer and can point you in the right direction.

#6 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

I am in the same situation replacing 6 out of 8 winches.

Harken Performa or Antal XT? The funny part, the two winches I am not replacing are both Antal. After 20 years, they are still working very well. The sad part - the six winches I am replacing are all Lewmar.

The Antal XT R winches look really good, they run really well, and they are better priced then Harken. In UK most people are talking Harken. It is difficult to find anyone with decent experience with Antal. Most people quickly add: It is really good stuff. We got a good bit of Antel stuff onboard, some of it is now getting replace due to long and hard service.

#7 SMBReno

SMBReno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

I think the problem is in the supply chain somewhere - not really clear where (i.e. production, distribution, sales). But they have some tempting products, like their  XT16.2 ST Race, which is the smallest self-tailing two speed available and just what I was looking for. We'll see......

#8 Mogle

Mogle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Shorthanded Sailing
    Offshore racing
    RORC
    Long distance Cruising

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have the predecessor Antal model on Dragon, and just swapped out the mast winch to an XT.  In all cases I have the race version, which saves some weight.

• The rope grip is good.
  • The engineering and materials quality is top notch.
  • It is easy to strip it down, and easy to put it back together.  The new version of the XT has a very simple screw top that holds it all together while the old version has a more complicated split ring.  The assembly is such that it is pretty straight forward to figure out how to piece it back together, and pretty hard to lose pieces.
  • I put a lot of miles on the boat, upwards of 5,000 a year.  I find that the winches need to be stripped down and cleaned every 1,000 to 1,500 miles.  They can go longer, but they start to complain a bit after 3,000 miles.
  • They stand up to abuse well.

That is about it.  I don't have any experience with the Harkens, but can recommend the Antals.  If I had it to do all over again, I would pick them again.

Thanks - I got a good impression of Antal products. Their sales channels?

6 out of our 8 winches are getting replaced next month and we ended up with Harken Performa. Simple really. Harken did a good job with their distributor confirming the spec for our new deck gear. I was open for Antel and our Italian yacht already had some Antel stuff on-board - most of it will now be replaced. I never found a Antel distributor that responded in a timely manner. Everyone around me from boat yard, distributor, and yacht club are talking Harken.

Thanks to my rigger, the new spinnaker pole track and trysail track on the mast are both Antel....they could have had it all.... 

#9 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

You could have called Euromarine Trading - the importer - and asked

I know several outlets will be able to sell them to you.  Definitely Mauri Pro and Defender.  Most other shops would probably be happy to sell them to you.

sorry - I just noticed you are in the UK - not sure who sells them there

You could have called Euromarine Trading - the importer - and asked

I know several outlets will be able to sell them to you.  Definitely Mauri Pro and Defender.  Most other shops would probably be happy to sell them to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winches, self-tailing, Antal, Harken, Performa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users