17 replies to this topic

#1 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Funky old sailing club where I keep a boat just accepted donation of a tired old J/24 - it's really looking a fright at present.  They hope to make a program boat out of it - lend and rent it for hire or training use.  Will check in later,  just wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas aside from the InterClub modification - I'm not doing THAT much work on it.. 

Lets see:  has the old telescoping hatch,  but the aft section is missing and has a hunk of plywood in it's place,  the cabin floor feels like a sponge and I have no idea how bad the bottom is.  Otherwise looks complete,  anyway.  Old-style stanchions ( upper & lower lifelines) spars looks straight, rudder is decent.

Something tells me I'm going to regret saying I'd help them get it together,  but I can't just let them go out an hurt somebody.  Might just have a boat you can rent in Honolulu again,  even if it is a J/24.

#2 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Which one?

#3 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Don't recognize it.  Could be Green Flash ?  Original interior - floor bashed but not removed yet,  so it still has the Verm.  Hull is all white,  deck has been re-painted not too badly.  Needs to be cleaned up and sealed up.  Didn't check the hull #,  will do Tuesday night.

Guy who sailed it down from the Ala Wai - was a brokerage boat that they gave up on when someone asked them to start paying moorage for - did so with the jib sheets led to the tweakers... and survived.

#4 arr4ws

arr4ws

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

hull number could help

#5 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

All white, painted?  Green Flash had the green boot top.  Was the deck updated?  Or just painted over the hardware?

#6 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Or just painted over the hardware?

I'm currently reading Linda Greenlaw's excellent book about swordfishing.  She tells about the time they resprayed her deck -- when there was a dead flounder on it!!!  Sprayed right over it ...

#7 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Leave the windows down and paint the inside for free.  

#8 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Sometimes free is too much

#9 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

turn it into one them IC24's they do down in the caribbean.

#10 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Deck is in too good a condition to bother getting that itchy.  Hull # is 1790.  There is a green boot.  Spars are clear,  don't look original and somebody did a decent re-non-skid on it - grippy without being too aggressive.

Sailed it last night for a quick spin with some lagoonatics,  after showing them the jib sheet doesn't lead through the foreguy bullesye.  I kid you not.  They've had it a few days so why should I have expected them to have moved the cushions and taken the water out of the lazerettes ?   Call me fancy,  but...   Anyway the boat is functional,  good thing they don't have a spin pole.

It looks like for the first time in a long while there might be a place where a competant sailor could rent a J for a day if he were so inclined.

#11 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Green Flash had some good management for a while post J24 fleet era.  But after that who knows.  

Lazarette clips?

#12 Dart#004

Dart#004

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Isn't there some other boat you should be working on? I sort of remember this cool Schumaker 30'er that used to be around the neighborhood... I hear it's now around some other neighborhood not far from the beach, but not exactly at the waterfront, either.

#13 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yea,  it's got clips & I explained how they were basic safety equipment.

Much funnier was listening to the theories about the 2:1/4:1 double-ended mainsheet system.

#14 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

That would have rather contemplative I'm sure.  Dooooood.....  

How well does the club have this thing covered under their insurance policy?  Because if it isn't they should ground it.  

#15 basketcase

basketcase

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Location:The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society
  • Interests:recreational gynecology.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

lets not toss the term 'basketcase' around so freely. ok?

#16 Wayfarer1071

Wayfarer1071

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Wayfarer Dinghy
    J24
    Dn Iceboat

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hey Great Red Shark

I have some serviceable old sails for a J. Not race winners by any means, but for a loaner boat they would work. If your interested, let me know.

Aloha

#17 lucky1954

lucky1954

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Sailing, Travelling and Sail making !

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hey Great Red Shark

I have some serviceable old sails for a J. Not race winners by any means, but for a loaner boat they would work. If your interested, let me know.

Aloha

No news yet ?

#18 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Funky old sailing club's managers are seriously out-to-lunch on the entire concept,  and "caretakers" looking after it equally clueless.  Decided to let them handle this one all themselves - as Wayfarer likes to remind me,  I have better things to do.  I did refer a buyer to them, which they declined - when they could have converted it to Quick Cash and liquidated a Liability,  but they likely will just hang onto it until it meets misfortune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users