#1 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:freedom

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

need help bringing Poderosa home, from Pasadena, MD to Long Beach, NY

Hi i'm new on the forum and am looking for advice and tips. I'm a new sailor from brazil who lives in the NYC area (Long Beach), I'm very experince in power boats as a grow up around longlinner fishing boats deep sea fishing.

I have recently purchased a Vindo MS 50 sailing boat.

Do you have crusing guides, advices and sailing directions etc that you recommend.

I was thinhing on taking the  C&D canal and costa sail the rest.

Any recomendations suggestions ideas most welcome

cheers Victor

Attached Files

#2 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Get a chart plotter with Navionics. 

Turn left at Gibson Island, through C&D Canal, South to Cape May Canal, if seaworthy go outside all the way to Rockaway.

Or, if only draw say 3 feet stay ICW to Manasqaun, then out. Maybe take out the mast first!

Or, put it on a truck.

Good luck

TOG

#3 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

Lots of boats do this every year, but it's not without it's challenges. Delaware Bay can be nasty, and Cape May to NYC is more than a day trip. Weather is the key. The NJ inlets are fairly widely spaced, and are famous for their danger in a strong easterly. You want to work out which ones you dare enter, and which you don't. It would be good to take someone with experience.

Aside of the bad weather, the NYC area experiences high pressure systems with 15-20kts from the North or Northwest. From Barnegat to NYC is a long beat.

#4 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'd consider hiring a delivery skipper familiar with the area.

Local knowledge is a good investment that even highly experienced sailors can benefit from.

#5 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thanks guys

i will consider hiring a Skipper and tag along forthe ride

does anyone know anybody?

thanks very much

victor

#6 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'll do the trip... Have tools, 100 ton, and will bring my own plotter and safety gear... Done that trip plenty of times. No worries... Pm me...

#7 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Sailing, running and wine.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Exit the C&D canal 2 hours before high tide. If you buck the tide you are in for a looong ride

Stay in the channel as the jetty SW of the power plant is submerged at higher tides

#8 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Victor, Don't mean to pee on your parade but...
The pic shows a boat with running rigging older than me. The rub rail is destroyed from fwd aft. This makes me wonder about the raw water pump, rudder falling off and 50 other issues that can happen 20 miles off Atlantic City. Did you have this beauty surveyed? Did you run the motor full load for 10 minutes to prove the cooling? Anyway plan for the worst and you will have a fun trip. The Delaware Bay really sucks and I have that opinion after running 80-120' boats on that bitch. You are very alone to Cape May

#9 bodysurf

bodysurf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Please check the keel bolts.

#10 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

Any decent captain would go over the boat and then evaluate risk... SOP...

#11 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

And then after CM there is nothing until the Sandy Hook Void Ho spot...

#12 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks everyone for the responses

Due the marina fees and lack of large funds, I will have to do it myself in Blood, Sweat and Tears

If you have a chance I would love to have a list of things to be checked before leaving

If anyone is free and willing to tag along (even only partially) would be great, we can work out some payment

I'm thinking on going on the 22nd

646-379-5981

victorcesarbota@gmail.com

thanks

Victor

Engine

Batteries

Lights

Rigging

Mast

Sails

Rudder

Keel Bolts

Check for leaks

Anchors

Winches

Fuel and water tanks

Electronics 

“Better to die fighting for freedom than be a prisoner all the days of your life.” Bob Marley

#13 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,116 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

PM SomeDude 

"Captain Ron" flops on his couch after the Border Run races

+ he can get you 20% off a DoRag LongBoard Bottom Job

#14 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Radios, test the boat's installed unit.

Include a hand-held VHF and a spare hand-held GPS with extra batteries.

More warm clothes than you think you will need. You'll need them.

#15 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

what the best time and tide to sail down the Delaware Bay?

thanks

#16 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

You should buy and take along the 2013 Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book and use it with your handheld GPS.  If your boat has a speedo, you will also be able to determine the current in the Delaware River and Bay by the difference between your speed through the water via the speedo and your speed over the ground via the GPS.  I also advise you to buy the Maptech Chesapeake and Delaware Chartkit, Region 4, for your paper charts all the way from Pasadena, MD to Cape May, N.J..  Can your boat make it through the Cape May canal?  What are the air draft and water draft?

I'll walk you through a sample Eldridge current calculation.  On page 142, you can read the Delaware Bay entrance tidal changes then adjust according to Delaware River, Reedy Island (closest to C&D canal entrance) calculations on page 28.  On Wednesday, May 22, 2013, the Delaware Bay ebb starts at 7:52 a.m. and 8:28 p.m., the flood starts at 2:10 a.m. and 2:13 p.m., with a max current of 2 knots.  Adding 2 hours and 55 minutes for Reedy Island, the ebb will start at 10:47 a.m.  following a 5:05 a.m. flood start.  The max predicted current at Reedy Island will be 2.6 knots on the ebb and 2.4 knots on the flood.

Therefore, you want to leave the C&D Canal about an hour before ebb starts during slack water, or at 10 a.m..  It is a little less than 50 nautical miles to Cape May canal entrance. The current is stronger in the Delaware River than in the Delaware Bay, so you want to time your passage to allow you to make maximum headway through the Delaware River portion.  If you could make 8 knots over the ground (boat speed plus current) over most of the passage, you will be at Cape May around 4 p.m., with the last 2 hours against an adverse current.  You might want to leave the main channel after you reach Miah Maull Shoal to avoid the strongest current in the Delaware Bay, heading either ESE toward  north of Cape May, or south toward Cape Henelopen if you plan to stop at the entrance of the Delaware Bay.

#17 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

If you want to see some typical Delaware Bay weather and waves, here is my YouTube video from last summer: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1QknQ-U6_6w

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1QknQ-U6_6w

#18 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

We movedthe date to the 26th/27th of May, with the possibility of doing doing it aroundthe 10th of June.

so for what I understood

Would be best to enter the CD canal a hour before ebb starts and as the same for entering the Delaware Bay. In which I would have to wait on Reedy Point for about 5 hours for the Bay ebb, taking the CD canal crossing takes me about 3 hours.

does this sounds right?

I was thinking on crossing the canal at night since is well lit and commercial transit will be less.

11:45 pm enter the canal

2013-05-26  8:20 PM EDT   Sunset

2013-05-26  8:57 PM EDT   1.93 knots  Max Flood

2013-05-26 11:11 PM EDT  -0.02 knots  Slack, Ebb Begins

2013-05-27  2:54 AM EDT  -2.46 knots  Max Ebb

2013-05-27  5:40 AM EDT   Sunrise

5:45 am enter the Bay

2013-05-27 8:37 PM EDT 0.18 feet Low Tide
2013-05-28 2:08 AM EDT 6.76 feet High Tide
2013-05-28 5:38 AM EDT Sunrise
2013-05-28 9:24 AM EDT -0.17 feet Low Tide
2013-05-28 2:49 PM EDT 5.78 feet High Tide
2013-05-28 8:20 PM EDT Sunset
2013-05-28 9:31 PM EDT 0.27 feet Low Tide
2013-05-29 3:03 AM EDT 6.56 feet High Tide

Would be great if anyone could double check it. thanks very much guys

#19 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

PM SomeDude 

where do I find him?

thanks

victor

#20 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Forget the tide tables for transiting the Delaware River and Bay, use the currents tables.  I would be more concerned about the current in the Delaware River than in the C&D.  The Delaware Bay and River are subject to a considerable tidal current and you want to be precise.  There are few jump off points between C&D and Cape May.  You will spend a lot of time in the Delaware River and Bay is you miss the timing, and it is not quite as pleasant as the Chesapeake Bay.

Also be careful with the current tables for the C&D, which relate to the Chesapeake, not the Delaware River.  They can be confusing.  Make sure you understand whether the current is East or West on the resource you are using.

Sailors use Chesapeake City and Reedy Island as starting points.  You could also time your start from the Sassafras, Still Pond, or as far south as Worton for the current to carry you through the canal.

#21 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

sorry I don't know nuthin' about sanding, longboarding, or other forms of hard labor.  DoRag says he doesn't but he's no better.  just barks orders

PM SomeDude 

where do I find him?

thanks

victor

#22 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Disregard Woody and DoRag comments.

#23 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Your timing is off.  On Sunday, May 26th, the East flood in the C&D starts at 5:49 p.m. and runs at 2.7 knot, the West ebb starts at 11:28 p.m. (2013 Eldridge, p. 150).

On Monday, May 27th, the Northwest flood at the Delaware Bay entrance starts at 6:18 a.m. and 6:19 p.m., with a Southeast ebb at 12:05 p.m.  Adding 2:55 to these figures for Reedy Island means the Delaware River flood nearest the C&D canal starts at 9:13 a.m., and the Delaware River ebb does not start until 3 p.m.

So at your proposed C&D canal entry time of 11:45 p.m. on the 26th, you will have an adverse current most of the way.

At your proposed Delaware River entry time of  5:45 a.m. on the 27th, you will have two hours of favorable ebb leading to an hour of slack work, followed by 5 hours of adverse current in the Delaware Bay.

I suggest you pick some other times.  Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  Spend the $15 to buy Eldridge or Reeds Nautical Almanac and the $140 for the Maptech Ches & Del Bays chartkit.  It will seem like a small price to pay if you end up in some mishap on the trip due to their absence.

We movedthe date to the 26th/27th of May, with the possibility of doing doing it aroundthe 10th of June.

so for what I understood

Would be best to enter the CD canal a hour before ebb starts and as the same for entering the Delaware Bay. In which I would have to wait on Reedy Point for about 5 hours for the Bay ebb, taking the CD canal crossing takes me about 3 hours.

does this sounds right?

I was thinking on crossing the canal at night since is well lit and commercial transit will be less.

11:45 pm enter the canal

2013-05-26  8:20 PM EDT   Sunset

2013-05-26  8:57 PM EDT   1.93 knots  Max Flood

2013-05-26 11:11 PM EDT  -0.02 knots  Slack, Ebb Begins

2013-05-27  2:54 AM EDT  -2.46 knots  Max Ebb

2013-05-27  5:40 AM EDT   Sunrise

5:45 am enter the Bay

2013-05-27 8:37 PM EDT 0.18 feet Low Tide
2013-05-28 2:08 AM EDT 6.76 feet High Tide
2013-05-28 5:38 AM EDT Sunrise
2013-05-28 9:24 AM EDT -0.17 feet Low Tide
2013-05-28 2:49 PM EDT 5.78 feet High Tide
2013-05-28 8:20 PM EDT Sunset
2013-05-28 9:31 PM EDT 0.27 feet Low Tide
2013-05-29 3:03 AM EDT 6.56 feet High Tide

Would be great if anyone could double check it. thanks very much guys

#24 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Better times:  plan to start southeast on the Delaware River at 2 p.m on the 27th or 2:25 p.m on the 28th,. for an hour of slack followed by 4 hours of ebb toward Cape May.  The West ebb in the C&D starts at 1:29 p.m. on the 27th and at 2:18 p.m. on the 28th.  The C&D is 19.1 miles long from the Elk River to the Delaware River shipping channel.  You can catch the flood and slack if you enter the C&D anytime after 6:57 a.m. on the 27th and after 7:50 a.m. on the 28th.  The current will be 2.8 and 2.7 knots respectively, so you might want to ride the favorable current through the C&D starting in the morning, anchor for a couple of hours at Reedy Island, then ride the ebb down the Delaware River and Bay until the 6:17 p.m. flood on the 27th, or the 7:13 p.m. flood on the 28th. starts at the Delaware Bay entrance.  You will have an hour or two of unfavorable current as you approach Cape May, but you should be able to enter the Cape May canal before sunset.

#25 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Schedules are a bad idea. Have a plan. But go with the flow... Delivery skippers all too often are bit in the ass by "GetHomeItus." Nice anchorage just before the canal. Hang there and hit it right. Get pushed thru, and flushed out...

#26 redviking

redviking

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

If you can go thru the Cape May canal/bridge, all the better. The bumpyest part of the right is just before you turn left if constricted by airdraft. I forget what the bridge height is there. It's not 65' for sure...

Bumpyest part of the ride... Damn autocorrect...

#27 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

Better times:  plan to start southeast on the Delaware River at 2 p.m on the 27th or 2:25 p.m on the 28th,. for an hour of slack followed by 4 hours of ebb toward Cape May.  The West ebb in the C&D starts at 1:29 p.m. on the 27th and at 2:18 p.m. on the 28th.  The C&D is 19.1 miles long from the Elk River to the Delaware River shipping channel.  You can catch the flood and slack if you enter the C&D anytime after 6:57 a.m. on the 27th and after 7:50 a.m. on the 28th.  The current will be 2.8 and 2.7 knots respectively, so you might want to ride the favorable current through the C&D starting in the morning, anchor for a couple of hours at Reedy Island, then ride the ebb down the Delaware River and Bay until the 6:17 p.m. flood on the 27th, or the 7:13 p.m. flood on the 28th. starts at the Delaware Bay entrance.  You will have an hour or two of unfavorable current as you approach Cape May, but you should be able to enter the Cape May canal before sunset.

we moved the trip rp tothe 10th of June afternoon to have more time to plan it, should we stop at Reedys to rest or just keep on moving to Cape May

how does this seems?

4:45 pm enter the canal,  37 minutes after slack water ebb begins at Chesapeake City

1:45 am enter the Bay, 3 hours before slack water ebb

5:45 am enter the Cape May canal

#28 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

If you can go thru the Cape May canal/bridge, all the better. The bumpyest part of the right is just before you turn left if constricted by airdraft. I forget what the bridge height is there. It's not 65' for sure...

Bumpyest part of the ride... Damn autocorrect...

We are 50' tall and the clearance seems to be 55'

do you the depth at the canal, we have a 5.5 draft

#29 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

Schedules are a bad idea. Have a plan. But go with the flow... Delivery skippers all too often are bit in the ass by "GetHomeItus." Nice anchorage just before the canal. Hang there and hit it right. Get pushed thru, and flushed out...

im all about flow, but would be great to have the tide and currents on favor, without having to be anchored for hours waiting for it

#30 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

we moved the trip rp tothe 10th of June afternoon to have more time to plan it, should we stop at Reedys to rest or just keep on moving to Cape May

how does this seems?

4:45 pm enter the canal,  37 minutes after slack water ebb begins at Chesapeake City

On Monday, June 10, 2013, the East flood in the C&D occurs at 6:03 a.m. and 6:01 p.m. and runs at 2.3 kts; the West ebb starts at 12:54 p.m. and runs at 1.4 knots, so you will be entering the C&D canal around slack current and enjoy a favorable current through the canal if you enter at your proposed 5 p.m.

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, the Delaware Bay entrance ebb begis at 11:52 p.m. on the 10th at 1.9 kts., and then again at 12:17 p.m. and runs at 1.5 kts. ; the flood begins at 6:34 a.m. and 6:22 p.m. and runs at 1.7 knots.  Adding 2:55 to these times for Reedy Island, the ideal time to enter the Delaware Bay at an hour before ebb would be 1:47 a.m. (11:52 p.m. + 2:55 = 2:47 a.m. - 1 hr.).

By the way, I would avoid heading down the Delaware Bay for the first time in the dark early morning hours while you are fatigued.  There are large ships, abandoned lighthouses, shoals near the shipping channel, and the potential for some serious chop from  a Northwest or Southeast blow.  Combine those risks with an unknown, new-to-you boat, and you are asking for trouble.  Go during daylight hours.  Anchor in Chesapeake City on the C&D or behind Reedy Island tor rest and wait for the best times/

#31 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

how does this seems?

On Monday, June 10, 2013, the East flood in the C&D occurs at 6:03 a.m. and 6:01 p.m. and runs at 2.3 kts; the West ebb starts at 12:54 p.m. and runs at 1.4 knots, so you will be entering the C&D canal around slack current and enjoy a favorable current through the canal if you enter at your proposed 5 p.m.

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, the Delaware Bay entrance ebb begis at 11:52 p.m. on the 10th at 1.9 kts., and then again at 12:17 p.m. and runs at 1.5 kts. ; the flood begins at 6:34 a.m. and 6:22 p.m. and runs at 1.7 knots.  Adding 2:55 to these times for Reedy Island, the ideal time to enter the Delaware Bay at an hour before ebb would be 1:47 a.m. (11:52 p.m. + 2:55 = 2:47 a.m. - 1 hr.).

By the way, I would avoid heading down the Delaware Bay for the first time in the dark early morning hours while you are fatigued.  There are large ships, abandoned lighthouses, shoals near the shipping channel, and the potential for some serious chop from  a Northwest or Southeast blow.  Combine those risks with an unknown, new-to-you boat, and you are asking for trouble.  Go during daylight hours.  Anchor in Chesapeake City on the C&D or behind Reedy Island tor rest and wait for the best times/

thanks

so entering the CD 5pm on 10th would be good, than rest at Reedy until 9am on the 11th, would be the best idea, did i get it right this time?

#32 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

Delivery trips are all about a safe and damage free arrival.

Not about a schedule.

Sail smart, get your rest and be prepared to change your plan to fit the weather.

If you can get a good sea cook and some hot chicks you are a pro.

#33 jameswilson29

jameswilson29

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes for the canal, no for the Delaware River.  You want to head toward Cape May at slack an hour before the ebb at Reedy Is. on the 11th, around 2 p.m. (12:17 p.m. Del. Bay entrance + 2:55 Reedy Island - 1 for slack before ebb = 2:12 p.m.).  You could also leave at  1:12 a.m., but you would be asking for trouble.

how does this seems?

thanks

so entering the CD 5pm on 10th would be good, than rest at Reedy until 9am on the 11th, would be the best idea, did i get it right this time

#34 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

FYI Last week a Catalina/Morgan was heading from the Dela Bay to Cape may via the Canal. They caught their mast head on the bridge (55' if you transit the center) while going with the current. They current pushing the boat further under and the masthead stationary the cockpit swamped. One more Dela Bay transit story...    

#35 victorcesarbota

victorcesarbota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yes for the canal, no for the Delaware River.  You want to head toward Cape May at slack an hour before the ebb at Reedy Is. on the 11th, around 2 p.m. (12:17 p.m. Del. Bay entrance + 2:55 Reedy Island - 1 for slack before ebb = 2:12 p.m.).  You could also leave at  1:12 a.m., but you would be asking for trouble.

how does this seems?

thanks

so entering the CD 5pm on 10th would be good, than rest at Reedy until 9am on the 11th, would be the best idea, did i get it right this time

thanks very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users