#1 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ahhh.... birds are chirping, flowers blooming, trees are leafing and young love fills the air.  Spring has sprung, or at least the very tentative version we are experiencing this year in the north east of the US.  And with spring comes that annual ocean racing rite, the Atlantic Cup.

Starting on May 11 and spanning the eastern seaboard and hundreds of treacherous ocean miles across three legs of racing, the Atlantic Cup starts in the fine dining, fine looking, fine living city of Charleston, where there is always a church nearby in which you can confess your sins.  The first leg send you to Gotham, where sin is the norm and the layover inevitably involves excess.  Then a second leg takes you to Newport, where the only sin I have been able to find so far is saling and if that is sinning then count me amongst the happily damned.  The racing wraps up with a third leg of inshore racing in Newport where we switch from the double handed format of the ocean legs to a fully crewed set up to help speed things up in the corners.

As has been proven across the last 7 years, the Class 40's offer some spectacularily close racing.  A single mistake in preparation, sail cross overs, or navigation can mean the difference between first and last in a fleet that has an uncanny nack of finishing within minutes of one another after hundreds of miles of racing.  With no transat last fall or winter to bring the european boats west, this year's edition of the Atlantic Cup has brought a strong fleet of mostly US based sailors.  With seven boats lining up this coming Saturday with an interesting mix of experience and designs, the racing should be exciting.

• 40 Degrees - the only international entry this year, this third generation OCD boat will be skippered by Peter Harding and Hannah Jenner.  After last year's dismasting at the start of leg 1, the Brits are back with a brand new, radical new Southern Spars rig and are thirsty for revenge.  The RORC 600 was a good tune up for a pair that are going to fight every mile.
  • Bodacious Dream - Dave Rearick is joined again by Matt Scharl on their Farr designed, third generation boat.  These corn-fed midwest boys now have a year of practice in their boat, and have got to be considered favorites after the excellent showing they made last year.
  • Gryphon Solo - Joe Harris also now has a year of practice in his new ride, a third generation Akilaria, and is joined again by Tristan Mouligne.  Joe is a fierce competitor, not known for giving a single inch without a fight.  And since Tristan and I work at the same company, bragging rights are on the line.
  • Icarus - Life partners Tim Fetsch and Ben Poucher are once again showing what can be done with a roll of duct tape and a lot of elbow grease.  Their Rodger Martin designed ride has come a long way since Tim and Ben helped the US Merchant Marine Academy Sailing Foundation put her back in fighting shape.  A few weeks back, Tim schooled all of us at Charleston Race week by winning every start and showing great speed.  This could be their year, showing what can be done on a shoe string.  These guys deserve support, so check them out.
  • Lecoq Cuisine -  Eric Lecoq returns to the Class 40 scene with a brand new ride, a very sexy looking Verdier design.  He is racing with Conrad Coleman, fresh off his finish in the Global Ocean Race last year so the team will certainly not lack from experience.  We are all eager (and a bit worried) to see what these guys can produce from their formidable ride.
  • Pleiad Racing - Ed Cesare joins the Class 40 fleet with his acquisition of the former Amhas, a first generation Akilaria similar to the one that won the Worlds last year.  While new to Class 40 racing, Ed and his team mate Chad Corning are sailing on a professionally prepped boat and boast significant offshore experience.
  • Dragon - And then of course, your humble scribe riding on the mighty Dragon, a second generation Owen Clarke design.  I am joined this year by Rob Windsor, and we are fresh off a winter of racing in warm embrace of the Caribbean.  Stints in Key West, Jamaica and St. Thomas helped keep my sun burn fresh all winter long, if not my sailing skills and we are looking forward to bringing Dragon back into home waters.

The racing kicks off this coming Saturday around noon, and the weather situation is shaping up.  At the moment, it looks like a light air run up the coast for the first 30 to 40 hours.  As a front moves through later on Sunday, we will see winds pick up to the high teens and switch over to a tight hauled fetch on the other side of Hattaras that will eventually free to a reach as we approach NYC.  The light air run makes for some interesting choices coming out of Charleston, forcing skippers to decide when and how to interact with the Gulf Stream that lurks some 40 or 50 miles off of the coast as it passes South Carolina.

If you live anywhere near the three host city's, please come on down to meet some of the teams and check out the boats.  In Charleston we are in the City Marina over by the bridge to James Island, in New York City we are down in the North Cove marina located in the World Financial Center and then in Newport we are the Newport Shipyard. 

All of the starts are also located right by the shore, which makes it easy to watch the fleet fire it up and shoot for the honor and advantage of leading across the line.  Class 40's may not be as nimble as a dinghy, but watching the elephants dance is entertaining none the less!  In Charleston you can get a great view from the Charleston Maritime Center, while in NYC in the starting line is directly off of the southern Seawall of North Cove Marina.  And in Newport, the starts and finishes are just off of Fort Adams, so bring a frisbee and come spend the day hanging out and watching us mix it up.

Stop on by and make sure to introduce yourself.

Michael

#2 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I look forward to seeing you guys in NYC again.  If anybody is anywhere near these cities definitely go check out the boats and the skippers.  They truly are first rate.

#3 Kincora

Kincora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Best to all the teams we will be cheering you on and looking forward to your arrival in Newport.

#4 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Best of luck RM, looking forward to a few PBR's in Newport during the In Port, will be sailing with Eric and Conrad.

#5 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

PBR - beer of champions.  I can not tell you how awesome it is that we have PBR as a sponsor.  The only thing that could be better would be if PBR sponsored the race and if I could get Taco Boy to sponsor Dragon!

See you in Newport.

#6 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Good luck RM!! Looking forward to watching the racing and seeing these beasts battle it out. Is Dragon the only 40 coming to Halifax in July? Can't wait to have another look at the boats!

HW

#7 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Good luck RM. You are a great ambassador for the Class 40's.

Good on you again.

Look forward to your usual great reports.

#8 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Last year was a blast to follow on SA and on the tracker. Looking forward to more of the same!

#9 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

No onboard reporters for leg 1 this year. They'll be back for leg 2 NYC-NPT. Hopefully, though, there will still be some good commentary. I'm missing this one due to work, so no live updates from me this year, but I'll be watching online!

#10 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Atlantic Cup Alumni Club update:

2012 winner Jorg Reichers and Mare recently won the Normandy Channel Race. Jorg also just got an IMOCA 60 and is prepping for the BWR next year.

American Emma Creighton and her partner Dan Dytch no longer have to borrow a Class 40. They have their own and just won the Class 40 division of the RORC Cervantes Trophy.

#11 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thanks, folks.  I will strive to contribute to everyone's efforts to avoid work, shirk household chores, eschew the call of duty, and generally abrogate their responsibilities.

This frontal passage is making conditions a bit hard to predict.  At the moment it looks like a sail change from running to close hauled in the very dark and early hours of Monday morning.  Strange how that works out.

#12 Kincora

Kincora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

One day and counting.  Mike you will have to work to win the office bet?  Be safe and have fun.

#13 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sitting here at the office, banging out some work before heading to Charleston at the end of the day.  Tomorrow will be the skipper's meeting, some last minute prep, and review of the weather / navigation choices fit in around the work schedulue.  Saturday launch day!

Getting pumped up.

#14 Jonathan Green

Jonathan Green

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:US East coast single & double handed distance racing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good luck RM! Looks like a blast. I'll be following along between boat projects. See you guys in Newport!

#15 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Mike, have a good ride, watching with envy.

Jan

#16 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Go the Dragon!!!

#17 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Go the dragon!!!......but vote for Gryphon Solo 2...
Thank you to SA and all the anarchists for the support! You have no idea how much we love this event!

#18 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Looking for a link to the tracker. Anyone found it?

#19 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Race Day!

Had an excellent last meal with the boys from Gryphon Solo last night, then they headed off for their traditional pre-race Gryphon coffee (don't ask,some sort of vile version of Irish coffee).

This is going to be a tactically challenging leg.  A front stretches down the entire eastern seaboard and at our latitude is lurking just east of Atlanta.  Its rate of progress to the east will dictate the outcome of this leg.  It is going to be two races, one to Hattaras and then one from Hattaras to NYC.  Ahead of the front will be solid air, running conditions, while behind will be lighter airs from the nose.  The models at the moment have it passing over the fleet on Sunday after noon, before we get to Hattaras, making the rounding a tight hauled pound through choppy Gulf Stream conditions.

There is going to be a lot of time sitting at the nav station, working on the strategy.  First choice is when to enter the stream, second choice is when to exit post Hattaras, third choice is if a dive the Jersey coast is merited, fourth choice is the approach to NYC (risk the short route over the shoals or swing out) and last choice is how to deal with the wind shadows off of buildings in NYC during the last mile into the finish line.

Off for some breakfast.

Tracker link and other updates should be able to be found on www.atlanticcup.org.

#20 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

The Atlantic Cup Expert Previews the Weather for Leg 1

As previously posted, the first leg has the potential to be pretty exciting.  In really basic terms, I think it can be stated as follows:

First 24 hours = the reason we race boats (aka fantastic!)

Next 48 hours = um, I dunno…

The weather is fairly straightforward for the exit out of Charleston at this point, but once the boats hit the Hatteras area, there is potential for a major shakeup and if some of the forecasts hold true, potential “uncomfortable” conditions. 

For example

Sunday
Winds shifting to N to NW 20 to 30 kt. W of 75w…seas 3 to 6 ft. E of 75w…seas 5 to 9 ft.

Monday
N winds 15 to 25 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft.

Might make for tough going for boats trying to get to NYC.  On the other hand, it’s most likely going to change in the next 12 hours, so stay tuned as things evolve before the start.

The Atlantic Cup Expert weighs in throughout the race to provide commentary and insight into what’s happening on the course. You can ask the Expert your questions once racing is underway by submitting a question online at www.AtlanticCup.org. Who is this Expert? Well we can’t really say…s/he is a bit like the Stig, nobody knows…

#21 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Tracking link for the first leg of the race will be here: http://yb.tl/ac2013

#22 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Very flukey conditions at the start. Wind shifting across 40 degrees and any where from 5 to 15 knots

#23 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Tracking link for the first leg of the race will be here: http://yb.tl/ac2013

There is also a banner link now on the Atlantic Cup website at http://atlanticcup.o...g-one-tracking/

#24 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

2036 hours

SOG 10 to 14 knots

TWD 215

TWA 144

TWS 15 to 18 knots

Well, the boats have made their bets.  Bo Dream and Le Coq are following the trail blazed by me in 2012 and went almost due east in an effort to get to the stream quickly.  40 degrees and Amhas are roughly on the same line, and also sacrificing distance in an effort to get to the stream but not nearly as agressively as the other two boats.  Then just north of that is Gryphon Solo, with Dragon about 1 mile north.  This spread of boats clearly think the front will be moving through before we get past Hatarras and are gambling on the stream to give them the needed boost to get there before the light northerlies follow.  Meanwhile, Icarus is making the straight shot run and quickly disappeared to the west as the rest of us headed east.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  In the mean time, we are getting a bit of surfing in, and slidingn along nicely.  The boat is in good shape, and it is time or my nap. 

#25 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

Any video coverage of the start? Links?  Can't make much sense out of the official web site. Tracker is good though.

#26 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

In response to Sailbydate: No videos from the start this year. However, we will have on board footage to share once the teams arrive in New York. 

Photos are currently on Facebook  https://www.facebook.../TheAtlanticCup and will be added to the home page within the next few hours.

Most current news updates, on board updates and sat phone calls are posted in News and will also be noted in the headlines section of the homepage of the website and shared on both Facebook and Twitter.

As an FYI - Joe Harris from Gryphon Solo2's latest update is here: http://atlanticcup.org/news/

Hope this helps.

#27 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Foredeck Follies

So you ask "hey, mister... how do you swap out your kites in the middle of the night, with 20+ knots of true wind and only two of you on board".  Well, Johnny, let me tell you how it is done.

Picture a messy, quartering sea in the stream that allows for a little bit of surfing, but mostly just limits your use of the pilot.  Imagine winds in the mid-twenties.  Envision the big ass A2 kite up, doing perhaps a bit too much work for the conditions.  And progosticate that a front will be coming through in about two hours with rain, more wind, and lightning.  Now do this all with your eyes closed, since with no moon or even stars it is as dark as dark can be. 

This is how it works:

1. One of you sits on the helm, A2 cross sheeted to you.
  2. The other suits up, clips in and stumbles / slides to the foredeck with the new sail  (really looking forward to the refit this summer and new non-skid!)
  3. Clip the bag for the new sail to the life lines
  4. Open the forward spin tack clutch
  5. Sort your halyard tail which has been washed into a tangled mess.
  6. Sort out your haul down line for your sock.  Curse your head lamp whose over taxed bulb won't illuminate what you really want to see up top.
  7. Call for ease (and poke the boat down) from the helm.
  8. Haul down the sock
  9. Helm blows the aft clutch on the spin tack line, puts the boat on pilot, clips in, then stumbles / slides forward to feed you the halyard. 
  10. Haul down the sock to the deck and frantically try to collect the foot.
  11. Open up the hatch and dump the whole mess into the sail locker.
  12. Helm stumbles back to the cockpit
  13. Hook up all the bits of string to the A5 kite, trying not to trap anything in the dark
  14. Question what circumstances in your life led you to pursue this relaxing past time.
  15. Tie down the haul down line, cuz if you don't it will sky as you hoist the sock, your partially hoisted kite will pop open and you will have a really crappy morning.
  16. scream back to the helm to sheet on and go deep
  17. Pull on the tack line.
  18. Wrap one arm around the sock to keep control over it and then hoist with the other, whilst attempting to stay on your feet.
  19. Curse as the sock flips over the forestay, then flop around trying to get it sorted
  20. The sock finally gets somewhere near the top.  You "confirm" with the helm that he has sheet ready, and you haul up the sock.
  21. Your kite made, you then toss the bag into the forepeak and hopefully remember to dog the hatch or unhappiness ensues.
  22. Grind on the last bit of halyard.
  23. Sort your tail, knowing that despite your efforts it will be a tangled mess when the clew of the A5 rips off three hours later and you need to do a quick douse.
  24. Stumble back to the cockpit, wish you had a beer, and then go on watch.

See, Johnny. Simple.

I will say this... flying too much canvas, while fiscally irresponsible, seems to have paid dividends.

#28 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

It is a bit spooky sailing over the waters where the Bounty went down last fall.  Tip of the foulie hood to those lost.

#29 24_Racer

24_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Cold beer, warm whiskey

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

I will say this... flying too much canvas, while fiscally irresponsible, seems to have paid dividends.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing you guys in NYC

#30 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Rail Meat checked in with Race director Hugh Piggin this morning.

You can hear what he had to say here:

http://youtu.be/CQZOIlQ8Okg

#31 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

In response to Sailbydate: No videos from the start this year. However, we will have on board footage to share once the teams arrive in New York. 

Photos are currently on Facebook  https://www.facebook.../TheAtlanticCup and will be added to the home page within the next few hours.

Most current news updates, on board updates and sat phone calls are posted in News and will also be noted in the headlines section of the homepage of the website and shared on both Facebook and Twitter.

As an FYI - Joe Harris from Gryphon Solo2's latest update is here: http://atlanticcup.org/news/

Hope this helps.

Many thanks. 

#32 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Foredeck Follies

So you ask "hey, mister... how do you swap out your kites in the middle of the night, with 20+ knots of true wind and only two of you on board".  Well, Johnny, let me tell you how it is done.

Picture a messy, quartering sea in the stream that allows for a little bit of surfing, but mostly just limits your use of the pilot.  Imagine winds in the mid-twenties.  Envision the big ass A2 kite up, doing perhaps a bit too much work for the conditions.  And progosticate that a front will be coming through in about two hours with rain, more wind, and lightning.  Now do this all with your eyes closed, since with no moon or even stars it is as dark as dark can be. 

This is how it works:

1. One of you sits on the helm, A2 cross sheeted to you.
  2. The other suits up, clips in and stumbles / slides to the foredeck with the new sail  (really looking forward to the refit this summer and new non-skid!)
  3. Clip the bag for the new sail to the life lines
  4. Open the forward spin tack clutch
  5. Sort your halyard tail which has been washed into a tangled mess.
  6. Sort out your haul down line for your sock.  Curse your head lamp whose over taxed bulb won't illuminate what you really want to see up top.
  7. Call for ease (and poke the boat down) from the helm.
  8. Haul down the sock
  9. Helm blows the aft clutch on the spin tack line, puts the boat on pilot, clips in, then stumbles / slides forward to feed you the halyard. 
  10. Haul down the sock to the deck and frantically try to collect the foot.
  11. Open up the hatch and dump the whole mess into the sail locker.
  12. Helm stumbles back to the cockpit
  13. Hook up all the bits of string to the A5 kite, trying not to trap anything in the dark
  14. Question what circumstances in your life led you to pursue this relaxing past time.
  15. Tie down the haul down line, cuz if you don't it will sky as you hoist the sock, your partially hoisted kite will pop open and you will have a really crappy morning.
  16. scream back to the helm to sheet on and go deep
  17. Pull on the tack line.
  18. Wrap one arm around the sock to keep control over it and then hoist with the other, whilst attempting to stay on your feet.
  19. Curse as the sock flips over the forestay, then flop around trying to get it sorted
  20. The sock finally gets somewhere near the top.  You "confirm" with the helm that he has sheet ready, and you haul up the sock.
  21. Your kite made, you then toss the bag into the forepeak and hopefully remember to dog the hatch or unhappiness ensues.
  22. Grind on the last bit of halyard.
  23. Sort your tail, knowing that despite your efforts it will be a tangled mess when the clew of the A5 rips off three hours later and you need to do a quick douse.
  24. Stumble back to the cockpit, wish you had a beer, and then go on watch.

See, Johnny. Simple.

Nice work, RM. Now try that again in 30 knots!  :blink:

#33 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

The Atlantic Cup Expert Weighs in with the the First 24 Hours Report

It seems like the first night of the 2013 Atlantic Cup was pretty wild for all the teams.  The position reports showed speeds in excess of 15kts for all the boats as they raged along in the nighttime conditions.

After an exciting start out of the Charleston harbor, which saw multiple lead changes between #116 Icarus and #118 Bodacious Dream, the bulk of the fleet headed on ENE track to get out towards the Gulf Stream.  Throughout the night, the teams experienced multiple squalls and wind speeds spiked close to 40 kts.  Coupled with a moonless night it had to make for tense moments.  The team that seemed to push the hardest and make the most of the conditions was #54 Dragon who did a nice job of balancing getting in the Stream, but still maintaining northerly progress.

At the time of this writing Dragon seems to have a slim lead on #116 Icarus almost directly astern and #90 40 Degrees, who struggled out of the harbor but has established themselves as the most westerly boat.  On the far eastern side of the track, #121 Lecoq Cuisine and #118 Bodacious Dream have set themselves up to take advantage of potentially greater push from the stream and I would expect these two boats to close some distance on Dragon as the day progresses.  The trailing duo of #39 Pleaid Racing and #106 Gryphon Solo are slightly East of the leading pair and also might gain some leverage as the day progresses.  Perhaps the most impressive part of the early going is how close the boatspeed between the boats seems to be and how well all the teams are sailing.  I really don’t see anybody as the favorite at this point and the fight to NYC will be close the entire way.

Ultimately the first big shakeup will be later this evening as the SW flow shifts, potentially radically, to the WNW.  This may favor the western boats in terms of positioning but the breeze may lighten more closer to shore and the additionally current the eastern boats have may be the deciding factor as the group rounds Hatteras.  Stay tuned this evening and see who makes the most of the changing weather.

#34 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Meh.  This is some tricky routing.  Wind has clocked, but not all the way yet.  It has also died, but not so much that you need (or can hold) the Code 0.  Everytime we get a left shot, I think it is time to flop over and head west, but then it comes back.  This is still the favored board, barely.  Plus it has a 2 knot boost while we are still in the stream. But when you see two of your competitors head west in sight of you, it is tempting to cover.

Decisions, decisions.

#35 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Shout out to Dave and Matt on Bodacious Dream - great job guys!  Looks like the wind clocked about 12 hours ahead of the forecast.  Nice job protecting the gulf stream side of the course.  Hope you can consolidate before it backs again!  Go BD!

#36 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

If you haven't taken a look at the tracker lately, scroll back to approximately 8:10p and watch the extremely close (for ocean racing) crossing between Dragon & Lecoq Cuisine - by our calculations it was just under 1,000 feet. http://atlanticcup.o...g-one-tracking/

#37 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

Two other useful features on the tracker. 

Click the terrain/ map button in the top right corner of the map to show the underwater terrain.  Then watch what happens to boat speed when a boat sails into shallow water.  Less current = not fast.

Slide the wind prediction slider under the main toolbar to see grib data forecast for the next 7 days. You have to toggle on the "show weather" button to see this info.

#38 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

If you haven't taken a look at the tracker lately, scroll back to approximately 8:10p and watch the extremely close (for ocean racing) crossing between Dragon & Lecoq Cuisine - by our calculations it was just under 1,000 feet. http://atlanticcup.o...g-one-tracking/

Dragon will have to be right on her game to hold Conrad and Eric in their Verdier rocket ship. This Kiwi/French combo is FAST.

#39 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Report From The "Expert", 8 am Monday.

2013 Atlantic Cup Leg 1 Day 2

After 36 hours of sailing, the teams are not going to hear this, but I believe the race is just starting.  The breeze has shifted from the fast reaching/running conditions the boats were enjoying to lighter upwind angles and as such the strategies are starting to change.  As Sunday progressed it seemed like the eastern duo of #118 Bodacious Dream and #121 LeCoq Cuisine had closed the gap on earlier leader #54 Dragon. In fact Dragon tacked east in an attempt to cover but unfortunately lost distance, probably due to more current, and relinquished the top spot.  The western pair of #112 Icarus and #90 40 Degrees immediately headed inshore and have actually been able to maintain their position relative to race leader Bodacious Dream.  All the boats seem to be on starboard tack heading towards Kitty Hawk and at this time the Bodacious Dream still has a slim lead over Icarus and 40 Degrees, followed by Lecoq Cuisine and Dragon, who after a close cross last night are virtually tied.  The trailing pair of #106 Gryphon Solo and #39 Pleiad Racing have closed. Pleaid Racing might be making the most interesting move.  During the course of the evening, they have positioned themselves furthest east and seem to have more speed than the lead group.  Also, the weather has evolved (yet again) and I expect there to be more breeze further offshore.  Could we see a situation similar to last year where the inside boats parked on the Parkway?

The teams are going to have a tough 24 hours as temperatures are expected to drop later this evening and there is expected to be a complete shutdown in the breeze that I don’t think can be avoided.  With 250+ miles yet to sail, I still expect the offshore route to pay but the reality is, I dunno…..

#40 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Go RM !!!!

Jealous as hell.

Looking forward to continued great coverage for the reamainder of the event.

#41 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

We got game.  And we are scrapping for every inch.  Nice gains in the past 3 hours since the last position report, and I like where we are positioned on the fleet.  We control this side of the lead pack, and our next tack is going to be dictated by advantage and not the on-coming beach.

Go RM !!!!

Jealous as hell.

Dragon will have to be right on her game to hold Conrad and Eric in their Verdier rocket ship. This Kiwi/French combo is FAST.

Yeah, I think we will be on our game....just look at the last 3 hours.

Big decision coming up for our tack.  We hold the advantage on the fleet with a predicted counter clockwise shift, and it is going to give us the inside lift on the other board.  Keeping a close eye on the wind direction.

One thing is clear - both Rob and I forgot how friggen cold spring time sailing is up north.  Yesterday we were in T shirts and shorts.  Today we are putting on everything we own.

#42 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

We got game.  And we are scrapping for every inch.  Nice gains in the past 3 hours since the last position report, and I like where we are positioned on the fleet.  We control this side of the lead pack, and our next tack is going to be dictated by advantage and not the on-coming beach.

Go RM !!!!

Jealous as hell.

>

Yeah, I think we will be on our game....just look at the last 3 hours.

Big decision coming up for our tack.  We hold the advantage on the fleet with a predicted counter clockwise shift, and it is going to give us the inside lift on the other board.  Keeping a close eye on the wind direction.

One thing is clear - both Rob and I forgot how friggen cold spring time sailing is up north.  Yesterday we were in T shirts and shorts.  Today we are putting on everything we own.

Nice job, RM.

#43 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

What time will the first boat cross the finish line??

If you can accurately guess what time the first team will cross the finish we've got some great Atlantic Cup swag up for grabs. Head over to the Atlantic Cup facebook page to enter your best guess - entries must be in by midnight tonight!

#44 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Holy crap, that after sucked.  Wind hole and all we could do was sit there as the front of the pack slid along the coast.  Unforecast, but you pay for your choices and this one cost us 20 miles.  We have 200 miles to make up for it.

Wind filled back in from the north west.  We are making progress, but need to hope that our separtation will lead to different conditions.  Different in a way that helps us this time.

Time to work through the night again.  Nights have treated us well so far.

#45 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Report from the "Expert"

6pm Monday

2013 Atlantic Cup Leg 1 Day 2 

As we reach the end of the daylight hours on the second day, the teams have gone through a second major transition, and this one, has caused a shakeup. 

Around midday today the boats that were leading towards the coast, #118 Bodacious Dream, #116 Icarus and #90 40 Degrees fought their way through a brutal light patch and have managed to catch the left hand shift close to shore.  As a result they have started pulling away from the rest of the group.  #121 Lecoq Cuisine also managed to squeak through but seemed to struggle in the lighter air more than the rest of the lead pack and has hemorrhaged some miles, but still is part of the lead pack. 

#106-Gryphon Solo has managed to claw back to a top 5 position but this has come at the expense of #54 Dragon who after fighting east last night caught the brunt  of the transition and has now found itself struggling in the middle of the track.  At the time of this writing, they are limping along at 2 kts.  It’s quite the change of fortune for the early leaders but given their past success I would expect them to get right back into things once the breeze fills. 

That leaves #39 Pleiad Racing as the only boat east of rhumbline.  They also are caught in lighter air but might have survived a bigger loss than Dragon and I still think there is a chance for the eastern route to pay long term (keep in mind, “expert” is a relative term).  There is a fear that the western pack might see slightly less breeze than the offshore boats later this evening, which might open the door for Pleaid Racing, but right now the leading trio look very strong.  Tonight will be very stressful for all the teams as they continue north and try to figure an approach to New York Harbor. 

Also temperatures are supposed to drop to the mid 30’s,which may begin to sap the energy of all the teams on their third night at sea.  Still very much anyone’s game and I don’t expect a clear-cut favorite until they are almost in sight of the Statue of Liberty

#46 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Having sailed against Matt for so many years...he is just that damn good!  Go the Bodacious Dream!  Show them once again what these Great Lakes sailors are made of.  Race like you stole it!

#47 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Having sailed against Matt for so many years...he is just that damn good!  Go the Bodacious Dream!  Show them once again what these Great Lakes sailors are made of.  Race like you stole it!

+1

#48 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

+1

Only half a Mac race to go!

#49 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Sheep Fucker

You might have heard the story.  You are a good person.  Some one who loves his family and friends, who works hard, gives back, pets dogs and kisses babies.  A pillar of his community, with a reputation built through years of contribution.  But get caught just once behind one happy, good looking ewe and *poof*, just like that you are a sheep fucker. Or Kiwi, as commonly known.  Or Aussie if you listen to the Kiwis. 

My sheep fucking moment came at 3:00 on Monday, 25 hours into the race.  I had done pretty well up to that point, if I dare say.  I had timed the front an my arrival at the Gulf Stream perfectly, reaching the advantageous current just as the front moving over top the boat freed us to gybe right on to track for Hatteras.  Then we sailed with abandon and a dash of skill through the first night and next morning in blast reaching contions, allowing us to reach Hateras right at the front of the pack. 

Then we managed the transition to lighter air as it clocked forward.  While we lost some ground to Bo Dream andd Le Coq who were deeper in the Stream and had better current, we were within spitting distance and even crossed within two boat lengths of Le Coq on Sunday night, and were making time on the boats inside of us.

Then Monday we were diving to the west, still looking good, and I got distracted by an ewe.  That damn sheep came in the form of gribs that showed a clock to the west. We were on split boards at the time, with no favored tack so when the shift came we made our move and went back east.  Bad, bad sheep fucker.  Had we only kept going we would have covered every one but Bo Dream.  But no.....we commited the cardinal sin and now we have paid a hefty price. Sheep fuckers.

At this point, all we have going for us (beyond charm, wit and dashing good looks) is that we are stubborn, won't ever quit, and are east of the pack we chase. We have to sail fast, and hope the wind dies for them.  The 0600 report shows at least some of them sliding to the east, so some of that advantage may have been erased along with better boat speeds for them as they footed off, but I will remain optimistic and hope that we end up getting judged for more than that one cute, flirty sheep.

#50 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hey J,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

But seriously, how the hell do you not have start video from Charleston?  That's the easiest piece you'll have this entire event, full of excitement...in a town full of people that want to support it, including a few video-experienced folks.  WTF?

#51 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

We did film the start, but it wasn't to our standard.  Nothing would make us happier than to produce a high end recap and stream the entire event live, but due to budget constraints we were limited. 

We believe that we are still providing a quality product for everyone at home to be able to engage with and follow the race in more ways than most other sailing events and we will continue to bring you all of the great coverage you've come to expect so that the Atlantic Cup will be able to continue for many years. 

We will have some great on board footage from an embedded camera person, but it's arriving on a 40' boat that's traveling very slowly.

Hey J,

But seriously, how the hell do you not have start video from Charleston?  That's the easiest piece you'll have this entire event, full of excitement...in a town full of people that want to support it, including a few video-experienced folks.  WTF?

#52 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Dragon is finally chewing up the miles.  We have picked up distance on every other boat for the past 6 hours, and plan on doing more.  Wind has gone aft and built to 16 knots, so we have the big A2 up and are creaming along in flatish seas.  Lots more commercial traffic to keep things interesting, and we are just waiting to see Gryphon Solo gybe off the beach and cross (behind us).  Hopefully Juliana's camera pro takes even longer to get to her.... he is on Icarus and they are next in our sights.

Meanwhile, with any luck the outbound tide brings the front 3 to their knees and holds them up at the mouth of NYC harbor long enough for Dragon to sneak up behind them. Gotta dream.

Never quit.

#53 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

We did film the start, but it wasn't to our standard.  Nothing would make us happier than to produce a high end recap and stream the entire event live, but due to budget constraints we were limited. 

We believe that we are still providing a quality product for everyone at home to be able to engage with and follow the race in more ways than most other sailing events and we will continue to bring you all of the great coverage you've come to expect so that the Atlantic Cup will be able to continue for many years. 

We will have some great on board footage from an embedded camera person, but it's arriving on a 40' boat that's traveling very slowly.

Hey J,

You guys are doing a fine job and I hope to be able to get down to North Cove and mix around with the fleet when you're in the city. 

-Caveman

Edit: GO DRAGON GO!!!

#54 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Any anarchists at North Cove to see Bo Dream finish?

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hey J,

Good answer, but dumb problem to have.  love yer work...other than this...xo

#56 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

GO Dave and Matt!  Home Stretch.  Less than 6 miles to go with the next three boats closing in fast.. What a race!

#57 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Most excellent race Matt and Dave!  Go the BDream!  Almost crossing the finish line with around 4 miles to go.  Way to race like you stole it!  Now just FINISH!

#58 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

Awesome job, Dave and Matt on Bodacious Dream!  All the right zis and zags, start to finish.  You are sailing past Lady Liberty as I write this.

And congrats to LeCoq Cuisine and 40 Degrees for a great race up the New Jersey shore.  Everyone had to work for what they got this race.

Can't wait for the next leg to Newport!

#59 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Well done to LeCoq Cuisine, pipping BD to win Leg 1

edit, tracker error had leCoq over BD, but BD won it. Nice work to both teams!!

#60 whynotsolo?

whynotsolo?

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:racing short handed, windsurfing, good rum :)

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

BD ahead by 8 minutes!

#61 whynotsolo?

whynotsolo?

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:racing short handed, windsurfing, good rum :)

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

Great job Dave and Matt!  You didn't have to make it look so close!  Congrats to you both in a big way!  The midwest boys ROCKED IT!

#62 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

#63 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

when is a good time to check out the boats?

#64 gamera

gamera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

There will be crews around the boats most of the day tomorrow, everyone is really accessable so just walk up and say hello.

Firday there is a pro am event so we'll be out in the harbor for a while. 

#65 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Almost any time... they are tied up in North Cove.  There will be a few skippers knocking around during the day today, but most people are catching up on sleep.  Probabaly a better time would be Thursday from mid-day to early evening.  There will be groups of school kids passing through that you will have to contend with for time on the dock, but most every boat should have some one around to answer questions or offer you a chance to take a look.  Friday morning there will be lots of people around, but the boats will be off the dock in the afternoon doing a pro-am in the harbor.  Saturday morning every one will be around, but the closer it gets to noon, the more distracted we will be as we get ready to start leg 2

#66 mr_ryano

mr_ryano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Bring beer and/or rum

#67 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Here's the first of some of the race's on board footage - Icarus trying to get their big kite down as they approached NYC - the physicality of what double-handed sailors face is not always focused on but this is a good glimpse into what happens on board http://youtu.be/0VTExt6B7PQ 

#68 olebole

olebole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here's a video of Bodacious Dream's finish created by my brother who runs New York Media Boat

https://vimeo.com/66243991

#69 Laser1

Laser1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Dragon is finally chewing up the miles.  We have picked up distance on every other boat for the past 6 hours, and plan on doing more.  Wind has gone aft and built to 16 knots, so we have the big A2 up and are creaming along in flatish seas.  Lots more commercial traffic to keep things interesting, and we are just waiting to see Gryphon Solo gybe off the beach and cross (behind us).  Hopefully Juliana's camera pro takes even longer to get to her.... he is on Icarus and they are next in our sights.

Meanwhile, with any luck the outbound tide brings the front 3 to their knees and holds them up at the mouth of NYC harbor long enough for Dragon to sneak up behind them. Gotta dream.

Never quit.

Bummer Mike .............. fingers XX'd from accross the pond.

Go the Dragon !!!!

#70 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

It's too bad that not one of the pricks from the Manhattan Sailing Club came over to watch the first boat cross the finish line Tuesday night.  They raced their J24's and then hung out on their pretentious Arabella but couldn't care less that 12 sailors on six boats just sailed over 600 miles to a finish line that was less than a few hundred yards away.

Assholes.

#71 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Go the Dragon in Leg 2.

Good luck.

#72 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,527 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

#73 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

The Farrs are, in my opinion, the best looking of all the Classe 40's. Beautiful fat boats. Great race guys and girls.

#74 Tanton Yacht Design

Tanton Yacht Design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:To Never Quit.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Arabella story. Not so pretentious. The vision for a great enterprise. You should read about it.

Far from the Class 40 but interesting nonetheless.Attached File  Arabella2.jpg   154.16K   7 downloads

#75 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

I'm not calling Arabella pretentious. I think she's is a beautiful yacht. I'm calling all the jerk-offs that hang out on her pretentious. My guess is they weren't even aware that there was a double-handed ocean race finishing up in their backyard.

#76 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just a couple of hours 'til race #2.  Wishing all a safe and swift passage!

#77 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Leg 2 started at 2pm today just off North cove marina. The wind filled more than expected which made for a good start and some close quarter action with Dragon and 40 degrees coming very very close to sharing more than paint! 

If you want to check out some of the many safety features onboard these impressive Class 40's check out this video shot in Charleston! to Dragon's Rob Windsor and Lecoq Cuisine's Conrad Coleman for their time! 

During leg 2 the popular onboard media reporters have returned (Thanks to Oakcliff sailing for donating 6 of their current students)! We currently have updates flying in nearly every 5 minuets so check out our Facebook page for more information.

If you want to check out the race visit: www.atlanticcup.org

or find us on facebook at: https://www.facebook...nticCup?fref=ts

For tracking visit: http://atlanticcup.o...g-two-tracking/

Cheers, 

The Atlantic cup team 

#78 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Won the start, and the race to the Verazano Narrows bridge. Won tge race to Sandy Hook but only because were foolhardy enough to sneak through False Channel and ride 200 yards off the beach for several miles.

Under the Code 5 in 8 to 10 knots right now, 300 yards behind Bo Dream and drag racing down the coast. 23 miles to go to Barnegate

#79 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Huge thanks to two sail makers who got us to the starting line of leg #2. Mark Washeim of Doyle Long Island who worked through the nite to repair the A4 kite, and Rob McMillan of Quantum Newport who help us repair our main at the dock this morning. Thanks, guys. Very much appreciated.

#80 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Now get off the f...... computer and sail your ass off

Huge thanks to two sail makers who got us to the starting line of leg #2. Mark Washeim of Doyle Long Island who worked through the nite to repair the A4 kite, and Rob McMillan of Quantum Newport who help us repair our main at the dock this morning. Thanks, guys. Very much appreciated.

#81 The Commodore

The Commodore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:To t-bone a j class boat while on port tack at a bucket regatta.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Won the start, and the race to the Verazano Narrows bridge. Won tge race to Sandy Hook but only because were foolhardy enough to sneak through False Channel and ride 200 yards off the beach for several miles.

Under the Code 5 in 8 to 10 knots right now, 300 yards behind Bo Dream and drag racing down the coast. 23 miles to go to Barnegate

WTF, your middle name should be "I Suck"!

#82 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Bo Dream must have hung an inflatable sheep on their stern!     :lol:

#83 NYmediaBoat

NYmediaBoat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:anything that floats or sits on the bottom of the ocean

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Photos of Atlantic Cup's NYC start: http://nymediaboat.com/atlantic-cup/

#84 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Good fucking racing out here.   Fleet is all in sight of each other, swapping places in winds that range from 4 to 6 knots.  Somewhere around 200 miles gone and this one is still a toss up. 

Everyone was in kites around dawn, then most have switched out to flat running kites or Code sails as the wind died and clocked forward.  We are sprea laterally across the course with about 3 miles of separation.  Bo Dream was outside and suffered the most as the wind died back. Icarus and ourselves fared the best on the inside. 

We got lucky last night when the lashing at the top of the mast for the 2:1 halyard parted as the code was being dropped. Sail stayed on the boat, but it was a sloppy roll that made trouble later in the evening when we needed to launch that sail again. 1:1 halyard and some grunt. 

No sheep fucking today.

#85 TheAtlanticCup

TheAtlanticCup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Here's the analysis from our Expert as the race comes down to the wire:

#86 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Dave and Matt,

Slick move around Block Island!  Tracker's got you back in the lead, and it's going to be close with GSII.  Take her home, BD!

#87 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Congrats, Conrad and Eric. Nicely done, Sirs.

#88 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:eating grass

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

i'm tired of stayng awake constantly looking behind me, Anyone see that whacko Railmeat around?

#89 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

fired yet?

#90 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

whats with this  comment early on???

"life partners"

wtf  does that got with the sailing race?

fired yet?

dick

#91 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Possibly the strangest three first posts ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#92 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Possibly the strangest three first posts ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sound of a grinding axe maybe?

#93 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Troll fail!

#94 ET1

ET1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

That´s why there always has to be said:

FUCK OFF NEWBIE

#95 scaredsheep

scaredsheep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Thank ewe

#96 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

Tough first day of inshore racing.  Conditions were anywhere from 9 knots to 22 knots, shifting across about 30 degrees.  Most of it was in the low teens.  Raining for a decent portion, and cold.  Good to see summer has arrived.

We got 6th in the first race and earned it.  Bad start, muffed kite hoist, failure to read the SI closely enough regarding the center spans (plural) of the bridge and the the coup de gras was a bad sail call for the last leg which cost us two places.

Second race was a good showing.  Won the start, finished a close second and raced well inbetween.

Third race we won the start, but then sailed a bad first leg with poor boat speed.  We were probably over powered, and probably should have thrown a reef in for winds that were high teens at that point.  The worst bit was a broach near the end that almost put us on the beach at Rose Island.... we had a good recovery, but it was a close thing.

More racing tomorrow.

#97 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

So where are the results, RM? Boy, that web site sucks.

In any case, well done Conrad, Eric and team for your race one inshore series win. No bloody idea what happened in races two and three? I guess someone will get around to posting something, sometime. :unsure:

#98 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Results so far

http://atlanticcup.o...e/2013-results/

#99 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

So where are the results, RM? Boy, that web site sucks.

In any case, well done Conrad, Eric and team for your race one inshore series win. No bloody idea what happened in races two and three? I guess someone will get around to posting something, sometime. :unsure:

Sorry - Don't have answers for that except I think yesterday was pretty rough on everybody, sailors and organizers.  The sailing was highly competitive, the conditions snotty, the courses were friggin looooong and everyone was whipped by the time we got to the docks.  The RC hardly had it any better - getting a pin down was an exercise. 

The BBQ at the end of the day was notable for the number of weary people. 

But did I mention the racing was excellent.  The two standouts were Le Coq Cusine and Icarus.  Eric had his boat moving quite well in all three races, and only fell back in the last race because they ended up dropping the kite in the water on the last mark when they had some form of catastrophis halyard failure.  I don't know the details, but I do know that when I stopped by Gorilla Rigging at the end of the day, Jimbo was planning on staying up late to build them some new lines.

Meanwhile, Tim and Ben did a consistently awesome job on Icarus.  Great starts, great boat handling.  They climbed the ranking yesterday and it was well deserved.

The breeze is still on this morning, but at least it looks like the sun is out.  If this advil would kick in, I would be a happy man.  Time to drive up to Newport.

#100 Nigel Texas

Nigel Texas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

No tracker.  Race on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users