• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lake St Clair Hobie

Lake St Clair Hobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have an older M24 with an original style forestay.

What does everyone use for tensioning?  I think the lever bites,  and want to get rid of it.

Does everyone use the wire halyard still?  If not - what is the best rope to replace it?

#2 ctownj30

ctownj30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Everyone still uses the wire, and the lever.  I do not believe class rules allow you to get rid of the lever, or use something nonstandard for the forestay itself - but I've never checked.

For adjusting the forestay length (or rather setting your rake) as called for by the tuning guides - the lever generally doesn't come into play (more on that in a sec) - you generally use the turnbuckle down on the compression post.  To  set the rake depending on wind speed, some people give themselves marks to adjust to, and some count turns.  Usually the lever is just used to take all the pressure off when switching out the jib because you can take all the tension off w/o changing your settings (a good thing).

I've heard of something called a "speed clip" that allows you to change rake settings using the lever very quickly (basically a different set of locking holes), but I've never seen that on any of the boats I've been on.  Of course you are still using the turnbuckle to "base" the rake.

Check out the tuning guide for your type of sails - they all walk you though the process of setting the base rake, and tell you their preferred method for adjust to suit wind speed.

-dan

#3 Lake St Clair Hobie

Lake St Clair Hobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

The rules say nothing about having to stay with the lever on the forestay/halyard tension.

#4 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:sailing, Skiing, biking, boating,

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

the lever is fine.  It is easy to work and fast to do quick adjustments.

We have a small "speed clip" on our boat.  It allows you to go to the light wind setting while going downwind.  You have to have undo the quick pin,  move the holes while going downwind.  Allowing the boat to sail with less rake.   

Plue the lever allows you to drop the jib faster. 

Make sure you update the lower wire and turn buckle.  We have stripped that out in higher winds.  it sure makes you jump with you watch you mast drop back a 1' while going to weather.  I don't think I have ever turned down wind so fast! 

#5 dan905

dan905

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Gnd, what is it you do sailing downwind? It sounds like you are taking the mast back, is that right?

#6 Lake St Clair Hobie

Lake St Clair Hobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

GnD - I don't understand how you go to less rake downwind without adjusting the shrouds?

#7 overdraft

overdraft

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

I wonder if you'd be allowed to use one of those old 'magic boxes' if you could find one... that'd be a little smoother to release... but i'm not sure what kind of tension they highfield lever makes to know if a magic box would do the same work...

*edit* you can still get them! but they're only like 8:1... might not be enough...

The rules say nothing about having to stay with the lever on the forestay/halyard tension.

#8 n00b

n00b

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Every boat I've ever seen or measured uses the highfield lever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users