• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

There was a fair bit of play in the old cutless bearing on my boat.  Initially i was going to pull the propeller shaft and remove the bearing by cutting it in half.  Unfortunately, i couldn't do it without dropping the rudder.  As i didn't really want to do this nor buy a strut-pro tool i decided to make my own tool to pull the bearing.

I thought it might be useful for someone else.  The total cost of the material was 23 euros.

Here are a few pictures to explain...

Attached File  WP_000126.jpg   145.42K   92 downloads

Attached File  WP_000127.jpg   125.76K   96 downloads

The puller was built from 24mm baltic birch plywood, 12mm threaded rod, a piece of steel pipe the same length and slightly smaller outer diameter than the bearing and a few nuts and washers.  One side of the puller has a hole the same size as the shaft and the other side has a hole big enough for the cutless bearing to pass through.

At first the plywood bent a lot and i was scared it would splinter and break but then the bearing started to slide out.

Attached File  WP_000129.jpg   141.1K   59 downloads

I used the same tool to install the new bearing.  All in all the job took me about two hours including construction of the tool and the installation of the new bearing.  I think this method is very good since there is hardly any risk of damaging the shaft strut and the propeller shaft acts as a guide for installing the new bearing.

#2 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I needed this like a month ago. Wtf. Brilliant, good job mate.

#3 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Something to think about. Is to have your thread stock on all 4 corners . That way the bearing won't have any chance of getting cocked a little. Great idea though.

#4 Pinching

Pinching

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

It looks like you were able to slip the shaft past the rudder and pull it for inspection once free of the cutlass bearing.  

Elegant!

#5 Mud sailor

Mud sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

Pack dry ice inside the bearing, will shrink it and make it very easy to slide in/out

#6 Caca Cabeza

Caca Cabeza

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:Getting back in the environment, putting the front back on, flux capacitors, the fourth mode, but NOT landt.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

If nothing beyond thanks for the help,...

You spelled 'cutless' correctly. Well played and a nice golf clap to you, Sir.

#7 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the comments! 

I put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours before installing it. 

I should add that i drilled new holes for the threaded rod much closer to the strut than in the picture.  This helped a lot since the plywood flexed less and more power was transferred to the steel pipe.  I wasn't too worried about the bearing getting cocked since the prop shaft was guiding it anyway.  At the start i made sure both pieces of plywood were equidistant on each side, then i just kept turning both nuts equal amounts.

The prop shaft came out easily after the cutless bearing was removed.

#8 Maine Sail

Maine Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

If nothing beyond thanks for the help,...

You spelled 'cutless' correctly. Well played and a nice golf clap to you, Sir.

Cutless® is a registered trademark of Duramax Marine® LLC.

#9 argus tuft

argus tuft

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, golf, lying about golf, navel gazing

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

You've helped me plan my cutless bearing replacement, a job which I think is getting close.  I have one question which will seem odd to you.  How did you get the forward plywood and the pipe onto the shaft without partially pulling the shaft?  Or did you pull the shaft sufficiently to get those items on without having to drop the rudder?

As a matter of interest when I was installing a dripless PSS I had heaps of trouble backing the shaft out because the shaft has PropSpeed on it and it made the shaft stick in the cutless bearing.  Next time I'll make sure I've cleaned the shaft first and re-apply the propSpeed when the job is finished.

Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Argus

#10 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, i slid the shaft out enough to put the pipe and the plywood plate on it.  What you could do is have two pieces of plywood with u-shapes sawed into them instead of one with a hole.  That way you wont have to slide the shaft out.  Nevertheless, i think you better clean the shaft aft of the strut anyway before trying to remove the cutless bearing.

#11 Maine Sail

Maine Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Guys,

Cutlass/sleeve bearings have many different fit tolerances. Some come out very easy, scary easy, and some won't even press out with a hardened steel Strut-Pro tool that is extremely thick, heavy and designed to press out bearings to 3" in diameter.. Even with high tensile grade 80 hardened steel pressing collets, massive yokes and huge draw bolts some bearings just will not press out.

While it is very cool that the plywood jig worked in this instance please don't be upset if it does not work on your boat. My guess, having pressed out piles of cutlass / marine sleeve bearings is that it would probably work on about 10% +/- of them. The rest will need something more robust

#12 scuttlebutthead

scuttlebutthead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:racing, cruising and working on boats around LI sound

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

Guys,

Cutlass/sleeve bearings have many different fit tolerances. Some come out very easy, scary easy, and some won't even press out with a hardened steel Strut-Pro tool that is extremely thick, heavy and designed to press out bearings to 3" in diameter.. Even with high tensile grade 80 hardened steel pressing collets, massive yokes and huge draw bolts some bearings just will not press out.

While it is very cool that the plywood jig worked in this instance please don't be upset if it does not work on your boat. My guess, having pressed out piles of cutlass / marine sleeve bearings is that it would probably work on about 10% +/- of them. The rest will need something more robust

Totally agreed on all counts, but I still think it's pretty cool that GeorgB popped out a cutlass with plywood.  Talk about McGuyver-ing. 

#13 scuttlebutthead

scuttlebutthead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:racing, cruising and working on boats around LI sound

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

By the way, did you use stainless set screws after dimpling the new cutlass in or silicon bronze? 

#14 Maine Sail

Maine Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Guys,

Totally agreed on all counts, but I still think it's pretty cool that GeorgB popped out a cutlass with plywood.  Talk about McGuyver-ing. 

I agree 100%, very cool !!

I just don't want everyone to think this will work on every boat.

#15 GeorgB

GeorgB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Maine Sail, that's a good point!  I used plywood because i have holesaws for wood and thick plywood was easy to for me to find.  Steel would certainly be better.

Scuttlebuthead, i used set screws made from SS A4 (AISI 316).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users