• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

University of Rhode Island President David Dooley, in a decison that sets an example of cowardice that his students will remember all of their lives, has recently decided to move the URI  2013 commencement ceremony from its traditional outdoor venue on the URI  quad, to an indoor gymnasium.  The reason given is to promote safety and security. To protect the institution from any potential attack from terrorists that may be motivated to kill Americans that like to celebrate life achievements outside. 

Although Boston bomber Tsarnaev's widow was living in a nearby town with her parents, the Ocean State can hardly be called a hotbed of terrorist activity.  Needless to say the students are very dissappointed and have begun protests and petitions to reverse the decision.  But URI partents like me, are also affected. Because of the newly created space limitation, guests will be limited to only two invitations per student. Therefore I will need to tell the large family contingent that was planning on sharing and celebrating my daughter's achievement to stay home. Sorry Grandma. Typical of college graduations, out of towners have booked non refundable hotel rooms and made restaurant reservations and party plans a year in advance for this weekend. Now we have to tell them they cannot attend the main event. 

Now of course we can all still go and spend the weekend up there, and 6-8 people can amuse themselves while two of us sit in a stifling hot, smelly gymnasium for a few hours on what will likely be a beautiful and sunny spring day in New England. But the loss of seeing one's grandaughter in teh main ceremony is very dissappointing for someone like a Grandma who never had that opportunity. And it will only happen once. It is also dissappointing for the recipient not to have her family there to see her getteh recognition for the diploma with honors she has worked so hard for.

But the more important issue is this is an example of caving in to fear. An unreasonbable fear at that. Real leaders in these situations encourage people to get on with it, and live their lives normally. Otherwise the terrorists win. This is exactly the type of behavior people like Tsarnaev were hoping we would engage in.  He is probably laughing in his anonymously provided new grave site. Did you assist him in finding that grave site President Dooley?  Recall what advice people like Giuliani and Bloomberg gave after 9/11 in New York,  in a traditionally real terrorist target location.

President Dooley is new to New  England. He comes from Montana where he maintains a home (he is reimubursed by URI for multiple visits home per year by the way).   Maybe he went there after the Boston Marathon. In Montana, I would imagine, these types of threats are probably not frequent. But wait a mnute, there is no threat!  This is a precautionairy measure only. No threats have been recieved by the University which is located in a sleepy little isolated  town.  So perhaps he is not accustomed to the way Quahogs deal with such adversity.  Quahogs and Rhodies don't hide in their homes. They get on with it.   So Mr Dooley, I ask that you please take off your skirt and teach these young people how to react to modern issues with conviction and resolve,and steadfastness. Not fear. Because they probably will be encountering real situations that require a firm resolve as they move ahead in their lives. And the example you are setting for them is sadly not what any parent wants to pay for when they send a kid off to college. Its not too late to change this ridiculous decison.   Remeber this quote?  'The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself'.

http://www.change.or...ack-to-the-quad

#2 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

You are right.  Actions like this mean that they are winning.

Very well written.  You ought to submit that somewhere as an Op/Ed.

#3 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

like I said before, we could learn a few lessons from the Brits.

#4 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Ours was moved indoors too, due to a storm front moving in.  Congressman Bonner spoke.  Security was light if existent at all.  Great day except for the weather. 

As for moving indoors due to a perceived threat, I hope the student's voices are heard.  Caving in is a sign of weakness and fear.

#5 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Ours was moved indoors too, due to a storm front moving in.  Congressman Bonner spoke.  Security was light if existent at all.  Great day except for the weather. 

As for moving indoors due to a perceived threat, I hope the student's voices are heard.  Caving in is a sign of weakness and fear.

Maybe someone saw a receipt for a pressure cooker in the back of a car in the parking lot?....

#6 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

There are sheep......and sheepdogs.

#7 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

And people like Booth who just need a haircut... 

:-)

You retired yet? 

#8 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

You retired yet? 
Punched out March 21. It's a little weird but I'm adjusting. Happy weird but a little weird nonetheless.

With the fire this past week, smoke in the air, lots of my guys.......guys I trained as rookies.........loaded up and headed north. I had a martini, sat in the jacuzzi, and watched it on TV.

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

#9 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

You retired yet? 
Punched out March 21. It's a little weird but I'm adjusting. Happy weird but a little weird nonetheless.

With the fire this past week, smoke in the air, lots of my guys.......guys I trained as rookies.........loaded up and headed north. I had a martini, sat in the jacuzzi, and watched it on TV.

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

Slacker..... :lol:

Ed-it-2-Add-----BajaHaHa this year? I can sail, speak Spanish, am a fish whisperer, can fix anything and am a galley rok star..... :rolleyes:

#10 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Good point. And remember this is Rhode island where that type of cooking technology isnt prevalent among the masses yet.  

Maybe someone saw a receipt for a pressure cooker in the back of a car in the parking lot?....

#11 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Or an empty holster?

#12 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

Congrats - after you catch up on lost sleep and booze - ain't it time for you to plan some adventures that take longer than half a weekend? 

#13 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

Congrats - after you catch up on lost sleep and booze - ain't it time for you to plan some adventures that take longer than half a weekend? 

We don't need him---I know exactly where his boat is......:lol:

#14 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

We don't need him---I know exactly where his boat is...... :lol:

Damn It Man!!

#15 plchacker

plchacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Boat Party

#16 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

PM Me - I'm tired of behaving responsibly - let's take his boat and send him pictures of it and us having a good time.  PB - after a few weeks, we'll need fuel and provisions, so how 'bout we tell ya where we're gonna pull in, and you can show up w/the truck.   Deal? :-) 

#17 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

Slacker..... :lol:

Ed-it-2-Add-----BajaHaHa this year? I can sail, speak Spanish, am a fish whisperer, can fix anything and am a galley rok star..... :rolleyes:

2014!

#18 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

You retired yet? 

Weird.

Thanks for remembering.

Oh man Mrs. PB has kept the schedule FULL! Lets see......so far............

We did a week in Cambria on the beach. Then we did a week in Sedona hiking including a Grand Canyon hike - down from the south rim, spend the night at Phantom Ranch and back up the next day.

Next week we're headed to Sonoma for some wine.

All of June we are in England hiking Wainwrights famous Coast to Coast (190 miles in 18 days) then a few days in London.

July August and September - boat, boat boat........coastal harbor hopping, Catalina, Channel islands. (Mooring at Catalina just came through - been on the lists for years!)

October - Hawaii for a few weeks.

Jan 2014 - Bahamas for diving/underwater photo's (Mrs PB's passion) followed by St. Kitts at a resort with kids/grandkids.

Later that spring we're bareboating croatia followed by bareboat again in greece (with a few days in Montenegro in the middle)

Mrs PB is also trying to books conscious breath adventures for liveaboard humpback snorkeling on the silver banks.

Oct 14 - Baja Hahahaha and stay down for a season poking around Cortez.

I think she thinks I'm gonna croak soon and wants to squeeze the most mileage out of me in the interim!   <_< 

#19 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Whoever said that retirement sucks was probably a politician....

#20 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Whoever said that retirement sucks was probably a politician....

Totally

We been saving like crazy people for 30+ years. Time to spend some...........

#21 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Nice Hijack

Nobody gives a shit

Get a room

#22 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Nice Hijack

Nobody gives a shit

Get a room

The original subject getting boring. Don't read it or try to get it back......it's "anarchy" don't ya know.

#23 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

I hope a Chechnyan Muslim Terrorist Seqgull shits on your foredeck. How's that?

#24 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

I hope a Chechnyan Muslim Terrorist Seqgull shits on your foredeck. How's that?

Revealing.

#25 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,214 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

"liveaboard humpback snorkeling" was probably TMI though.  

#26 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ha-Ha?  Count me in.

#27 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

PM Me - I'm tired of behaving responsibly - let's take his boat and send him pictures of it and us having a good time.  PB - after a few weeks, we'll need fuel and provisions, so how 'bout we tell ya where we're gonna pull in, and you can show up w/the truck.   Deal? :-) 

I'm in as long as we don't let Ricky anywhere near the engine. B)

#28 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hey man, I'm so fuking good with spray paint, I just might get into the tagging biz....

#29 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

Hey man, I'm so fuking good with spray paint, I just might get into the tagging biz....

I'm more worried about the beer staying cold, PB, how's the fridge working?

#30 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Dude I can make ice for my gin & tonic, and keep ice cream solid as a rock!

#31 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Dude I can make ice for my gin & tonic, and keep ice cream solid as a rock!

#32 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Excellent, with what's left of your avocadoes and Ricky's secret guacamole recipe, I think we have all the bases covered..

#33 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Excellent, with what's left of your avocadoes and Ricky's secret guacamole recipe, I think we have all the bases covered..

Did I mention I also speak Beerican?.....

#34 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Beerican is a universal language.

#35 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Maybe so, but it sounds much better with a Bohemian accent....

#36 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Maybe so, but it sounds much better with a Bohemian accent....

Ahhhhhhhh, you've mastered the various dialects! Now that may be valuable indeed.

#37 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Someone mentioned language barriers in France....  I know a handful of words in French, but when I was visiting, agreed with some buddies that if any of us ever got into any trouble, we would say one of those words and let the chips fall where they may.  

We had a diesel van, and were on some highway, I can't remember where, now that it's 30 years later, except that it was in France.  Perhaps between Paris and Calais.  At any rate, we stopped for fuel, and an attendant put regular gas in the tank, unbeknownst to us.  Off we go, onto the on-ramp to a very express expressway, when the thing starts to sputter and kick.  So we pulled to the side, and started backing up in the breakdown lane, to get back to this place; not far, a couple hundred yards, tops.  I was looking back from the passenger side window, calling direction.  Just before getting back to the station, a security guard walked near our path, and it was clear that he wished to converse with the guy hanging his head out of the passenger side of the van moving the wrong way down the breakdown lane of a large highway.  So I told the driver to prepare to stop, and then stop.  The security guard angrily said something to me.  I thought about it for a second, put the most innocent look on my face that I could manage, without cracking the slightest smile, and (remembering my promise with my buddies) responded

"hors d'oeuvres?"

If the look on that guy's face was any indication, I would say that the French are less tolerant of the concept of bilingual communication than other folks are.  

Oops.  wrong thread.  My bad.  

#38 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Someone mentioned language barriers in France....  I know a handful of words in French, but when I was visiting, agreed with some buddies that if any of us ever got into any trouble, we would say one of those words and let the chips fall where they may.  

We had a diesel van, and were on some highway, I can't remember where, now that it's 30 years later, except that it was in France.  Perhaps between Paris and Calais.  At any rate, we stopped for fuel, and an attendant put regular gas in the tank, unbeknownst to us.  Off we go, onto the on-ramp to a very express expressway, when the thing starts to sputter and kick.  So we pulled to the side, and started backing up in the breakdown lane, to get back to this place; not far, a couple hundred yards, tops.  I was looking back from the passenger side window, calling direction.  Just before getting back to the station, a security guard walked near our path, and it was clear that he wished to converse with the guy hanging his head out of the passenger side of the van moving the wrong way down the breakdown lane of a large highway.  So I told the driver to prepare to stop, and then stop.  The security guard angrily said something to me.  I thought about it for a second, put the most innocent look on my face that I could manage, without cracking the slightest smile, and (remembering my promise with my buddies) responded

"hors d'oeuvres?"

If the look on that guy's face was any indication, I would say that the French are less tolerant of the concept of bilingual communication than other folks are.  

In much of europe, taxed diesel is referred to as Diesel Engine Road Vehicle or DERV.  He probably thought you were speaking english and insulting either the pump attendenant or himself.

The french refer to it as gasoil.

#39 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

It's like the French have a different f'ng word for everything....

#40 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

"hors d'oeuvres?"

In much of europe, taxed diesel is referred to as Diesel Engine Road Vehicle or DERV.  He probably thought you were speaking english and insulting either the pump attendenant or himself.

The french refer to it as gasoil.

Beats me, I was waaaaay to busy talking to the girls in the van.  I had nothing to do with the more mundane details.  

#41 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,920 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

It's like the French have a different f'ng word for everything....

yeah, you'd think they were talking another language sometimes.

#42 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,653 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Security cameras have recorded a bearded man in a Rhode Island hoodie purchasing swimming pool maintenance equipment at a local pool supply company

#43 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Security cameras have recorded a bearded man in a Rhode Island hoodie purchasing swimming pool maintenance equipment at a local pool supply company

Oy McVeigh?...

#44 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

That's funny.

#45 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

How.......not mature....

#46 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,927 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Good point. And remember this is Rhode island where that type of cooking technology isnt prevalent among the masses yet.  

Bullshit, my grandmother was destroying vegetables for years with her pressure cooker.

#47 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,927 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Not me, I'm not there any more.  And my pool is still closed.

#48 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Bullshit, my grandmother was destroying vegetables for years with her pressure cooker.

Hey, I saw a woman who didn't speak any English in the Home Depot parking lot with what looked like two pressure cookers in the trunk of an Impala,

Of corse she was selling tamales, but you can't be too careful nowadays... :rolleyes:

#49 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hey, I saw a woman who didn't speak any English in the Home Depot parking lot with what looked like two pressure cookers in the trunk of an Impala,

Of corse she was selling tamales, but you can't be too careful nowadays... :rolleyes:
Tamale buy back program to get those tamales off the streets. I can get behind that...........willing to contribute to help. Mrs PB and I have a early December all day tamale making day. Lots of the neighborhood shows up as it a BYOP (bring your own pot) event. I got two burners outside, and 8 inside. Get em all rolling and go all day. We provide the masa and husks. Folks bring their own innards and cerveza and its a good day! Stock the freezer and it gets us through to summer. So the buy back program would fill the gap nicely.

#50 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,848 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

P/B, have you delved into the fuktastic culinary field that are empanadas? And/or sopes? 'Cuz besides menudo, I can't do tamales. But I can eat the former(s) like they were frickin bacon scented, lobster flavored M&M's..........

#51 Point Break

Point Break

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

P/B, have you delved into the fuktastic culinary field that are empanadas? And/or sopes? 'Cuz besides menudo, I can't do tamales. But I can eat the former(s) like they were frickin bacon scented, lobster flavored M&M's..........

Both. Love them! Very little Mexican we don't like.........except menudo.........I cannot do menudo. But then I couldn't do a ballut in the PI either........

Really most Mexican soups rock. Caldo de Camerones, albigondas, any of the pollo soups...........god I love that food!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users