#1 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Sailing

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Had a tough race last weekend.  Tiller ended up delaminating and the tiller extension decided it had bit the bullet.

Need a little advice from the J22 sailors.

1.  Seems there are two tiller options.  Option #1 is a 43 inch curved model.  Option #2 is a 47 inch straighter model.

Which seems to be the better choice?  And given that choice, what would be the best tiller extension to purchase.  I prefer that the tiller extension be removable when no in use.

Thanks guys.  You always know what's best.

Jim Keeley

#2 The Gardener

The Gardener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I like a Fatso and Karl's tiller

#3 Will

Will

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:J/22, Lightning, Laser, J/105

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Personal preference.  I happen to like the curved "Karls tiller".  You will want to play with both and see what you like.  I know when I get on a boat with a stright tiller it drives me crazy.

For extension I use the fat carbo unit and cut it to my length, I forget, but it is long enough to get me forward in light air but not too long to get caught in the backstay (yes backstay).  For the universal, consider switching to the jcd, it has a piece of line inside of it in case of failure.

Nickelsboats.com has their version of the fatso extension, it is their second version and really nice.  Ask for Ryan.

#4 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Had a tough race last weekend.  Tiller ended up delaminating and the tiller extension decided it had bit the bullet.

1.  Seems there are two tiller options.  Option #1 is a 43 inch curved model.  Option #2 is a 47 inch straighter model.

Which seems to be the better choice?  And given that choice, what would be the best tiller extension to purchase.  I prefer that the tiller extension be removable when no in use.

Jim Keeley

I have a stock, nearly unused J24 tiller from a latish boat.    I am fairly sure that a J24 tiller is interchangeable with a J22. PM if you want it and it's yours -- just reimburse me for the shipping charge.

#5 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

You have a deal.  Send to:  Jim Keeley, 107 Francis Road, Palatka, Florida 32177  (386-937-2468 Cell).  This is a big help.   Let me know how much to send to you and your preferred method of payment. 

Thanks mucho,

Jim Keeley

561-625-4691  (Home)

jameskeeley69@yahoo.com

Jim Keeley

I have a stock, nearly unused J24 tiller from a latish boat.    I am fairly sure that a J24 tiller is interchangeable with a J22. PM if you want it and it's yours -- just reimburse me for the shipping charge.

#6 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Every now and then you meet someone who is above the crowd.  While I haven't met him (face-to-face) but I have met a really good dude.  His name is Chris Doyle.  I put this post on JAnarchy looking for information about a tiller and a tiller extension and Chris sent me a memo offering me a brand new J22 tiller that he had as an extra.  He offered the tiller for free and to beat that he shipped it and paid for the shipping.  He isn't asking me to reimburse him for the shipping.  Can you imagine that?  I think he needs to change his name to Class Doyle.  Well, if anyone out there is dealing with Class Doyle I want to tell you that you are dealing with just that CLASS.

Thanks Chris,

Jim Keeley

P.S.  Like I said, you are on the Xmas Card mailing list.  

#7 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Just wanted to let you know that a SA reader has sent me a J22 tiller, at no cost.  So, I just wanted you to know that while I appreciate your offer, I don't need that tiller.  Maybe someone else out there needs it.  But, thanks very much for your offer.  I was appreciated.

Jim Keeley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users