If you could choose the boat that would be used in AC racing...

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 dzaveski

dzaveski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

In the wake of what will be, if it isn't already, the most tragic America's cup event do to boat choice, lets consider something different.  Just for fun.

If you could choose the boat that would be used in America's cup racing what would you choose and why.  Keep is short and sweet or at least funny.

My choice:

Some sort of box rule of 60 feet long (I could be convinced of longer) 20 feet wide (keep in monohull).  Spec out the height of the rig and the depth of the fins, but leave almost everything else up to the designers imagination.  

Monohull because I like the tacking duels

Keep the size reasonable so that more countries can afford to enter. 

OH yeah and there would be a country rule....  To sail on the boat of a specific country you must be born in that country.  No naturalize citizens.  Or lets just call it was it is, pro racing circuit with not national ties.

Must sail in what ever wind shows up or doesn't that day.  Races are only cancelled when neither boat can get around the course in some sort of allotted time.

What say you!

#2 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

My wish list is:

90 ft monos or even V5s for that matter

soft sails

Upwind downwind 3 times - average 1.5 hours per race

At a location where there are ocean swells.

Upper wind limit of 20 knots Lower limit of 5 knots.

No course boundaries.

#3 baygrass

baygrass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

You are being very quick to judge a few outcomes with little real information to back it. Shut Up!

#4 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

The original Cup Race was a design challenge between nations to exhibit the fastest vessels of their era. Due to a couple of World Wars this competition got dumbed down to increase participation. These foiling catamarans have the potential to bring the Cup back to its original premise. But, people are right the time to develop reliable foiling has been super compressed in this AC cycle. The MC rules that were presented for the 34th AC were supposed to limit the boats to semi-foiling and not full foiling as a cost containment and evolution restriction. However, a loop hole was left open (whether intentionally or un-intentionally we may never know) and TNZ jumped through it. Nobody intended to make these machines dangerous. But, the leap to be competitive left the potential for extreme breakdowns.

I believe these boats are fantastic machines for this AC. But, I do think that minimum scantlings reviewed by an independent third party and non-destructive analysis after each sail are critical to keeping the participants relatively safe. A main beam catastrophic failure is not an acceptable area for risk. Nor foiling boards that can fail. The consequences are too great.

#5 catsailordude

catsailordude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

60 foot catamarans

36 foot beam

90 foot mast with one reef point 10 feet down

gennaker halyard also 10 feet from mast head

soft sails

straight rudders (no horizontal foils on rudders)

daggerboards load from the top

There should also be resonable minimum weights on the platform and the rig to ensure that the boats are overdesigned and can sustain a capsize with minimal damage.

A formula like this would result in good racing (like in the AC 45s) but would also be reasonable in terms of cost and logistics.  You'd probably see 10 to 15 teams compete and these boats could be sailed in other events.

#6 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

In the wake of what will be, if it isn't already, the most tragic America's cup event do to boat choice, lets consider something different.  Just for fun.

If you could choose the boat that would be used in America's cup racing what would you choose and why.  Keep is short and sweet or at least funny.

My choice:
Some sort of box rule of 60 feet long (I could be convinced of longer) 20 feet wide (keep in monohull).  Spec out the height of the rig and the depth of the fins, but leave almost everything else up to the designers imagination.  

OH yeah and there would be a country rule....  To sail on the boat of a specific country you must be born in that country.  No naturalize citizens.  Or lets just call it was it is, pro racing circuit with not national ties.

Must sail in what ever wind shows up or doesn't that day.  Races are only cancelled when neither boat can get around the course in some sort of allotted time.

What say you!

I'd choose an AC72 just because you're a whiny cunt.

#7 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

My choice:

What say you!

Was this truly necessary ?

#8 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

My choice:

What say you!

Yes. I understand that some people don't like the AC72's. Others will complain about anything Larry/Russell do. I will show absolutely no respect to anyone who chooses to take advantage of the death of a good man in pushing this agenda.

#9 dzaveski

dzaveski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

You are being very quick to judge a few outcomes with little real information to back it. Shut Up!

Such technical words.... I no understand.....

#10 dzaveski

dzaveski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

The original Cup Race was a design challenge between nations to exhibit the fastest vessels of their era. Due to a couple of World Wars this competition got dumbed down to increase participation. These foiling catamarans have the potential to bring the Cup back to its original premise. But, people are right the time to develop reliable foiling has been super compressed in this AC cycle. The MC rules that were presented for the 34th AC were supposed to limit the boats to semi-foiling and not full foiling as a cost containment and evolution restriction. However, a loop hole was left open (whether intentionally or un-intentionally we may never know) and TNZ jumped through it. Nobody intended to make these machines dangerous. But, the leap to be competitive left the potential for extreme breakdowns.

I believe these boats are fantastic machines for this AC. But, I do think that minimum scantlings reviewed by an independent third party and non-destructive analysis after each sail are critical to keeping the participants relatively safe. A main beam catastrophic failure is not an acceptable area for risk. Nor foiling boards that can fail. The consequences are too great.

A well written and reasonable way to tell me you feel I am wrong...  Love this response.  

#11 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Great post.

#12 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

This one is simple - the AC should be sailed in V70s with the same crew contingent that races the V70s around the cans during the Volvo.

The V70 buoy racing was spectacular. Lots of lead changes, lots of drama, sponsors on board, tons of media coverage and completely accessible to everyone who sails any kind of boat anywhere in the world.

It's got the best designers, the best sails, the best crews and the best fans. And there are plenty of boats available today for trial horses.

By any comparison, the AC72s and this AC are shaping up to be a complete failure.

#13 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Can't do the VO70's they are now VO65's and they are one design. So, you lose the whole design contest between nations thing.

#14 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

This one is simple - the AC should be sailed in V70s with the same crew contingent that races the V70s around the cans during the Volvo.

The V70 buoy racing was spectacular. Lots of lead changes, lots of drama, sponsors on board, tons of media coverage and completely accessible to everyone who sails any kind of boat anywhere in the world.

It's got the best designers, the best sails, the best crews and the best fans. And there are plenty of boats available today for trial horses.

By any comparison, the AC72s and this AC are shaping up to be a complete failure.

I think if you ask the V70 crews you'll find out that they don't like buoy racing with a boat designed for ocean passages. The boats aren't designed to be tacked/gybed as often as is necessary in a buoy race.

I'm with Tom... the AC was intended to be a technological contest not a one design or box rule regatta. A DoG race is the purest form of AC race and MC allows for tweaking of the rules to suit the yacht clubs. I'm not all that crazy about the LV either but I think it's necessary when you have such interest among challengers. If there's only a few challengers... so what? Let them duke it our and see who gets to face the defender. To paraphrase what I said when Larry announced the whole ACWS idea... I don't like it, if you want a worldwide series go start one, don't fuck with the AC. But since he and ACalphabet were in charge and for some reason they didn't listen to me I said "go for it and good luck, let's see what happens".

I attended two of the ACWS regattas (SD and SF Aug) and it was incredible. Let's see how it plays out. Besides the powers that be won't listen to anyone from ACA anymore than they did to me before the ACWS.

Edit... Tom is right about V65s.

#15 kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

My choice:

What say you!

I'd go with your boat rule but (big change here) allow it to be 45" wide - approx on the cusp of the trimaran/cat boundary. Mono's have been done to death and it is ragingly obvious they are not on the leading edge of sailing. 

Also make a rule they have to be able to lower the sails/wingsails (whatever) within 10mins of the end of the race without outside assistance. 

#16 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

My choice:

What say you!

Yes. I understand that some people don't like the AC72's. Others will complain about anything Larry/Russell do. I will show absolutely no respect to anyone who chooses to take advantage of the death of a good man in pushing this agenda.

Where do you see him taking " advantage " of anyone ? He's put forth a question that everyone else in this thread has seen fit to respond to with thoughtful comments . Your choice of language further lessons the impact of your viewpoint . Please let the adults continue to discuss amongst themselves and keep your needless comments to the school yard .

#17 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Pick a multihull length and beam size you think is safe and manageable.

Pick minimum weight to ensure it's engineered big enough to actually be safe.

Pick a maximum rig height to further limit really dangerous arrangements.

Get rid of all the weird rubbish that are borderline as to whether your actually sailing like engines and computer controlled everything.

Leave everything else open!

#18 8Y8

8Y8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yep too true, any sailor could have just as easily been trapped below decks folding sails on an old mono that broke in half and sunk, I don't understand this rush to blame the speed (or the boat). Maybe (time will tell) the engineers will have to answer for their calcs, or the builder for some error, but other than that these are awesome machines to watch, and the format is even of interest to my wife who has never watched sailing in her life. Let it go....

#19 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yacht-Hanuman.jpg

#20 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

The original Cup Race was a design challenge between nations to exhibit the fastest vessels of their era. Due to a couple of World Wars this competition got dumbed down to increase participation. 

ITYM ensure survival. 

#21 porthos

porthos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yacht-Hanuman.jpg

Hard to argue with that but the AC72's are much closer in spirit to the J boats than the 12 meter/IACC boats were.

#22 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Can't do the VO70's they are now VO65's and they are one design. So, you lose the whole design contest between nations thing.

The whole "contest between nations" was lost quite sometime ago, it's a contest between sponsors.

#23 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

1. Strict nationality requirements - citizen of the country for 5 yrs +. 

2. PIck a boat - like a Santa Cruz 70, for instance

3. 1 million dollar entry fee gets you the right to race and a hull

4. Foils, spars and sails from country of challenge, size and material limits specified

Boats would have a use after racing,  more countries would challenge,  interest would be higher.

Would have been a great concept back in '92 after the first DoG event,  but now... that ship has sailed.

#24 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

I agree it has been quite a few AC cycles since it was strictly one nations designs against another. CIC is still an artifact of that original premise. I wish Oracle had included M&M in their design team. And, we know there is a lot of French talent involved in the wing design. But, Core was originally a Southern California firm that migrated to Washington to be close to the day job customers and then opened shop in New Zealand for their labor talent/price advantage.
So, if we are wishing about new boats to challenge, I'd still put my vote in for the design aspect being a "contest between nations".

#25 dzaveski

dzaveski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yacht-Hanuman.jpg

Hard to argue with that but the AC72's are much closer in spirit to the J boats than the 12 meter/IACC boats were.

So true.....

#26 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

1. Strict nationality requirements - citizen of the country for 5 yrs +. 

2. PIck a boat - like a Santa Cruz 70, for instance

3. 1 million dollar entry fee gets you the right to race and a hull

4. Foils, spars and sails from country of challenge, size and material limits specified

Boats would have a use after racing,  more countries would challenge,  interest would be higher.

Would have been a great concept back in '92 after the first DoG event,  but now... that ship has sailed.

Man, that would be AWEFUL!!!  Wow.  Could not get further from the intent of the deed, and could not be any less interesting.

#27 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yeah,  10-15 teams in a match-racign round-robin with closely-matched big-ass boats where people identified with their countries' challenge.  That would suck.

Wait a year,  do it all over again with the new defender picking the hull,  old boats don't have to get mothballed because they are so critical.  yeah,  awful.

#28 Kiwing

Kiwing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

The AC is about cutting edge design,

pushing the envelope necessarily means danger,

but the egos provide the money and the money provides the advances in sailing.

There are plenty of good races, one design, nation verse nation, etc.

The AC is what it is and it is a great place for cutting edge development.

And we love watching them fight!!

#29 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

It would probably help to design some sort of a reality TV type challenge for the lawyers.
Keep them out of the way of the sailors, and make some extra cash from TV rights.
The AC has traditionally been a competition in the courts as well as on the water, we need to keep the tradition alive.

#30 Kiwing

Kiwing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I would choose AC72s

#31 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yeah,  10-15 teams in a match-racign round-robin with closely-matched big-ass boats where people identified with their countries' challenge.  That would suck.

Wait a year,  do it all over again with the new defender picking the hull,  old boats don't have to get mothballed because they are so critical.  yeah,  awful.

That is not the America's Cup.  Not by the deed, not by the tradition, not by what most people want.

Might as well say the World Cup in Soccer should be played indoors, on a hardwood court, with a basketball shot into elevated baskets at each end of the court, with 2 or 3 points per basket.  Still call it "soccer".  Heck, it would be a lot more exciting than what is currently "soccer".

#32 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I would choose AC72s

Same here.  Sure, if the AC72 rule stays, they WILL change the rules about foils (replacing rules that were intended to prevent foiling with rules that will allow safer control), and they may change the wing rule as well as requirements regarding beams, or something else.  But I love that these are about the baddest ass possible boats for racing around a course.   As a consolation, I would be OK with a similar rule, scaled down to 60' or so (I know, I know, xLot)

#33 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

50 or 60 feet cats, no wind limits, no foil limits, minimum weight, no max weight, lots of races in different conditions and possibility to chose a wing or a soft sail with reefes.

Competitors would have to design a seaworthy boat.

How can BPV can turn around the world, most of the time above 30kts, often above 40 kts, without a problem while it is too dangerous for an AC72 to cross a bay ?

#34 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

50 or 60 feet cats, no wind limits, no foil limits, minimum weight, no max weight, lots of races in different conditions and possibility to chose a wing or a soft sail with reefes.

How can BPV can turn around the world, most of the time above 30kts, often above 40 kts, without a problem while it is too dangerous for an AC72 to cross a bay ?

Sounds reasonable (50-60' option).  The idea that the boats have to be able to handle wide variety of conditions, both with regard to wind and waves/swell, would likely result in significant improvement in strength, durability, and stability, and may even reduce costs.  If you can't go off on an extreme for design, it may take away the incentive to go do so damned much expensive design work.  I would love to see such a simple rule, wide open.  The minimum weight requirement, without maximum, and without COG requirements, would make a lot of sense.  Teams will reasonably want to get the COG as low as possible, improving stability and safety.

Still, I'm not writing off the AC72.

#35 porthos

porthos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

We have ample evidence that the AC72's can cross SF bay without a problem.  

#36 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

TC BPV would not do well against an AC72 in closed course inshore racing.  Hydrapoter (sp?) would be a much better choice if you also threw in an offshore qualifier.

#37 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

TC BPV would not do well against an AC72 in closed course inshore racing.  Hydrapoter (sp?) would be a much better choice if you also threw in an offshore qualifier.

I know BPV would not do well, however a more open rule would allow cheaper boat, perhaps faster, and mainly seaworthy.

Basically a better show for TV in tougher conditions.

#38 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yep, 2 crashes in medium conditions and work for the lawyers ;)

#39 porthos

porthos

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Yep, 2 crashes in medium conditions and work for the lawyers ;)

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about on the legal end.  Come to think of it, you don't have much of one on the sailing end either.

How is it that ETNZ hasn't crashed yet?  Or LR?  I've seen ETNZ out in what looked like a dishwasher and yet it remained upright and in one piece.  Odd.  Moreover, as you noted, Artemis capsized in what appeared to be moderate conditions.  Supports the conclusion that something unusual happened.  We shall see.

#40 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Safety needs to be better addressed but the AC72 is about the baddest-ass in-shore racing boat on the planet. I want a successor.

Allowing for better much control of the main and rudder foils would be an excellent evolution across all aspects compared to V1.

#41 knarly34

knarly34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

AC90

#42 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

AC72 box rule. Big version of C class rule.

Wing only with area limit, no soft sails. 

Central pod, no tramp (final DZ style).

Vertical foils, no lifting surfaces, boards raise only (no rotation or translation around other axes), rudders 1 axis of rotation.

No weight limits.

No wind limits.

No movable ballast.

#43 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

Vertical foils, no lifting surfaces, boards raise only (no rotation or translation around other axes), rudders 1 axis of rotation.

No weight limits.

No wind limits.

No movable ballast.

Why no lifting foils?  Why no tramp?  Just wondering.

#44 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

I would choose AC72s

Same here.  Sure, if the AC72 rule stays, they WILL change the rules about foils (replacing rules that were intended to prevent foiling with rules that will allow safer control), and they may change the wing rule as well as requirements regarding beams, or something else.  But I love that these are about the baddest ass possible boats for racing around a course.   As a consolation, I would be OK with a similar rule, scaled down to 60' or so (I know, I know, xLot)

You guys might, but you're not paying the bills.

We have a pitiful three challengers and that's a direct reflection of the cost and infrastructure required to support this class.

Enjoy it while you can, you'll never see these boats again post AC.

#45 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

No weight limits.

No wind limits.

No movable ballast.

Why no lifting foils?  Why no tramp?  Just wondering.

Foils no lift: whilst the foilers are spectacular, I prefer "boats" to be in the water at all times.

No tramp: safety and drag. DZ showed you can get around an even wider boat without them with a small platform of the rear edge of the main beam, a central pod and a wide rear beam. Not much to get trapped under if it does turtle.

#46 Guy LeDouche

Guy LeDouche

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Macgregor 26X.  Wing sail.  250HP Mastervolt Podmaster.

#47 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

I would choose AC72s

You guys might, but you're not paying the bills.

We have a pitiful three challengers and that's a direct reflection of the cost and infrastructure required to support this class.

Enjoy it while you can, you'll never see these boats again post AC.

You have to remember that the AC is a Challenge Cup all you need for it to take place is 1 challenger.

That is what makes it unique.

The history is what makes it the plaything of billionaires.

Why dumb it down to get more "no hoper wanna be's" involved (AC32) and turn it into nascar.

Gimme AC33 over AC32 any day.

#48 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

Can't help thinking that is what the AC should been - 15 years ago.

From the front page.

Attached Files

#49 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

Can't help thinking that is what the AC should been - 15 years ago.

From the front page.

Lovely boat..........................................but hardly a showcase of cutting edge tech.

#50 Samin

Samin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

the AC72 is about the baddest-ass in-shore racing boat on the planet. I want a successor.

+1

#51 baygrass

baygrass

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

AC72 

If they had a 1 boat rule it would be a-lot more affordable and the boats would be more durable. 

#52 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

AC72

#53 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

The biggest issue for the cup moving forward is COST..! Unless the COST comes down we won't have a cup in the future. The money to compete is just too much.

#54 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

Smaller version of the AC72. Purely because of the logistics of managing such a large Cat, and being able to right them if and when they do capsize.

In terms of structural safety and reducing costs. There could perhaps be a standard platform/hull package which is 'off the shelf'. This would then open up the teams to concentrate of designing their own wings/ foils etc...

#55 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

The Americas cup has always been a very wealthy persons game. That wont change.

This design below is well proven.  But, Keep it high tech, leading edge, amazing sailing machines. lets not go back in time.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bpv.jpg   120.71K   16 downloads

#56 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

The AC has rarely, if ever, been about leading edge design development. The leading edge in design was almost always in smaller boats. That's why sloop rigs, bermudan rigs, multihulls, spinnakers, genoas, bendy masts, light displacement, planing hulls, shifting ballast, assymetrics, bulb keels, spade rudders and just about every other aspect of the modern sailboat was created OUTSIDE of the AC.

People like Herreshoff himself took decisive action to REMOVE the most radical boats from the AC. That's why he created the Universal Rule which lead to the end of the Reliance-type scow-shaped hulls. Herreshoff letters on the Mystic Seaport site confirmed that he refused Iselin's request to built a more radical giant scow - an idea that had evolved in the Seawanhaka Cup BEFORE it was proposed in the AC (just like bulb keels, spade rudders, bermudan rigs, sloop rigs and light displacement hulls were evolved in the Seawanhaka before they were in the AC....).

The early British AC boats like Livonia, Cambria, Genesta and Galatea were pretty standard boats of their day. They were normally met by pretty normal US boats of their day.

The UK challengers up to the 12 Metre era often raced as part of the mainstream "Big Class" - they were not all that different (if at all) from the rest of the Big Class cutters.

The hype of the AC being the bleeding edge, the biggest and fastest, just doesn't seem to fit with the historical facts. So if we are going to maintain the tradition the AC should be sailed in boats that are pretty much the "big end" of the mainstream.

Would it look as spectacular? Maybe not - without getting non-sailors in to ask what looks better, who knows?

Is looking spectacular important? Nope, not for getting TV - golf gets more viewers than skydiving, football gets more viewers than hydroplane racing, swimming at 6 knots in the Olympics gets more viewers than just about anything else in the Games.

#57 Boybland

Boybland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Flying sea monsters

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

The AC has rarely, if ever, been about leading edge design development. The leading edge in design was almost always in smaller boats. That's why sloop rigs, bermudan rigs, multihulls, spinnakers, genoas, bendy masts, light displacement, planing hulls, shifting ballast, assymetrics, bulb keels, spade rudders and just about every other aspect of the modern sailboat was created OUTSIDE of the AC.

People like Herreshoff himself took decisive action to REMOVE the most radical boats from the AC. That's why he created the Universal Rule which lead to the end of the Reliance-type scow-shaped hulls. Herreshoff letters on the Mystic Seaport site confirmed that he refused Iselin's request to built a more radical giant scow - an idea that had evolved in the Seawanhaka Cup BEFORE it was proposed in the AC (just like bulb keels, spade rudders, bermudan rigs, sloop rigs and light displacement hulls were evolved in the Seawanhaka before they were in the AC....).

The early British AC boats like Livonia, Cambria, Genesta and Galatea were pretty standard boats of their day. They were normally met by pretty normal US boats of their day.

The UK challengers up to the 12 Metre era often raced as part of the mainstream "Big Class" - they were not all that different (if at all) from the rest of the Big Class cutters.

The hype of the AC being the bleeding edge, the biggest and fastest, just doesn't seem to fit with the historical facts. So if we are going to maintain the tradition the AC should be sailed in boats that are pretty much the "big end" of the mainstream.

Would it look as spectacular? Maybe not - without getting non-sailors in to ask what looks better, who knows?

Is looking spectacular important? Nope, not for getting TV - golf gets more viewers than skydiving, football gets more viewers than hydroplane racing, swimming at 6 knots in the Olympics gets more viewers than just about anything else in the Games.

The only issue I have with this is that it is such a wasted opportunity. 

You have people with more money than they know what to do with willing to throw into sailing development, don't waste that opportunity on pulling the last zillionth percent out of the mainstream, get them to spend it on the edge where very real revolutions can be made to the sport (and other practical applications for water bourne vehicles).  This doesn't necessarily have to be dangerous, it just requires enough latitude in the rules for some weird and wonderful ideas to be given a chance to be tested, the two foil system on the AC72's is a pretty good example of what can be achieved with enough money to throw at a design problem.

#58 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

My choice would be Neo J's:

1. 90 foot (30 meter) hulls with
  2. massively overpowered soft sails.
  3. One or 2 hulls per team,
  4. with nationality rules for designers and the key crew members.
  5. Lifted nationality rules for new country entrants like china, korea, ... to increase nations who participate.
  6. Encouragement of the "romantic" AC like PB said over the last few days
  7. Encouragement of corporate sponsored teams. Maybe build in surety of schedule so sailing teams can build their programmes around VOR, maxi series...
  8. Build 2 first generation yachts and put them on a chartered freighter to Italy over the northern summer for a same boat match racing series. Teams can own their spinakers with their own sponsors logos. (remember the world series!)
  9. Get the crew in some fashionable kit that clothing sponsors would be proud to sponsor.
  10. Build in a realistic corporate entertainment packages combining the event and teams (review F1 product)
  11. Capture more sponsors like LV, Emirates, banks, clothing, watches, design houses, national promotion agencies (ie TNZ). Some real work needs to be done to attract the sponsors to the new format.  

Have a look at Fremantle. That was such a good regatta with lots of nationalities

I think we need to understand that if TNZ or LR win in Sept that will be the end of the AC72's. I can not see that AR would be supportive if they won. There would be  even less teams who would participate next time if OR wins and chooses to keep the AC72. Imagine the extra insurance costs of running another AC72 program.

#59 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

I've been trying to think of a single innovation that's come out of the AC, and at the moment, the only thing I can come up with is 3Di. But it could be argued that it's another example of AC-style development - take an innovation that's happened outside sailing/the AC (load path sails - which has been an idea around for a while - radial cuts) and throw money at it. 

Most development in sailing, fundamentally, is the result of development in materials. And that's all paid for by other people (aerospace).

#60 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

I've been trying to think of a single innovation that's come out of the AC, and at the moment, the only thing I can come up with is 3Di. But it could be argued that it's another example of AC-style development - take an innovation that's happened outside sailing/the AC (load path sails - which has been an idea around for a while - radial cuts) and throw money at it. 

Most development in sailing, fundamentally, is the result of development in materials. And that's all paid for by other people (aerospace).

Here's 3 off the top of my head:

Winged keel AC23

Wings on boats over 25ft AC33 (oops forgot Stars and 
Stripes AC25)

Full foiling on sail boats over 25ft AC34

Also use of composite materials, need to check:

Steel masts

Aluminium masts

Composite hulls: aluminium over steel frame

FRP Big boats

Reliance largest sloop ever built (1903) until recently.

Use of CFD

Cutting edge: tech definitely, even when constrained by really slow boat rules.

Edited by Wandering Geo, 14 May 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#61 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

I think a simpler, less powerful cat box rule would be great.  20 meters long.  10 meters wide.  30 meter wing (or soft sail if you desire).  Have at it.  Tweak those dimensions if you want, but keep it round numbers, and keep it less powerful than the current rule.  I don't get the idea that we should prevent people from spending money on it.  I do think that if you had a simple rule, there would be room for innovation rather than just huge budgets to leave no stone unturned.  And if you eliminate the rules against foiling control systems, you make it easier to innovate, rather than harder, so you reduce costs, rather than increase costs.

And if you make it a little smaller than the current stuff, I think you end up with more teams.  Even if many of them don't have a high chance of winning.  Make the summer a good summer of a lot of racing with a decent number of teams, and it becomes a decent deal for sponsors, and a decent experience for the Bs.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the AC72s flying around the bay this summer, but I sure wish there were more teams, and I am worried that the recent tragedy may hurt the event profoundly.

#62 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

Winged keel wasn't an idea out of the blue. BL had stuck wings on foils before. I see that wing end plates were first proposed in 1897.

http://en.wikipedia....Wing_end-plates

Wings on big boats is not innovation. Its throwing money at a previous idea. Wings on boats came from the C class. 

Fully foiling?

hydroptere_3_715.jpg

#63 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

^

PE,

Which other successful race boat had wings before A2?

Wings on big boats is innovation. Loads increase dramatically. Major new tech required build them and to control them. 

Did you see EBs reaction when DZ was unveiled.

Don't think hydroptere goes around a race course. Massively different foil and control system design compared to AC72.

All genuine cutting edge tech and genuine innovation in my book.

All development (scientific achievement) stands on the shoulders of what has gone previously.

#64 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

PE,

Jet Services (75', 1987), Paul Ricard (about 75', 1979?), Ker Cadelac (75'-ish, '87-ish), Formula Tag (later Enza), 85' (later extended) 1983..... Oh, and perhaps Manureva (75'ish, 1968) but she may not have been successful 'till '72.

The AC boats were late to the party, as usual, with wing masts. Which IMHO is not a bad thing if they are seen as they were historically, which is as an example of a highly-developed mainstream big boat. And that, arguably, means that a lot more of the stuff that they DO refine can be used by the average sailor.

#65 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Steel masts

Aluminium masts

FRP Big boats

Use of CFD

Seppings started using iron strappings in wooden hulls in 1830. By 1839, Brunel was building the SS Great Britain in wrought iron, with iron masts. So dissimlar hull materials and metal masts predate even America  herself. From then on, it's just a case of choosing whichever (commercially or near commercially available) material you want to use. Was Sir T.O.M. known as an aircraft guy bringing aircraft thinking into boats, or vice versa? Another example: 505s were playing with carbon masts in the 80s

And iron/steel frames and alu hull plating is an engineering dead end, as all you're really building is a giant battery.

The first FPR 12s were the glass Kiwi boats for the 86/7 Freemantle AC. As an example as to how late a take up of tech this is, in 1985/86, Cote D'Or - a carbon/nomex maxi - did the Whitbread. For sale, FWIW.

CFD? Please tell me how often the word "boat" appears here: http://en.wikipedia...._fluid_dynamics

Reliance? Largest sloop, yes. Small, in ship terms.

#66 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Don't think hydroptere goes around a race course. Massively different foil and control system design compared to AC72.

34 minutes cross the Manche/ English Channel. Different idea & systems (not constrained by rules), but definitively proof of concept. Big boats can fly.

#67 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

60 x 60 max
40 foot min, no beam min
Human power only (no engines)
Nationality rules (crew, design and full manufacture)

All else open......... Bring the best you have.

Windward / lewards x 3 laps no boundarys and 7 race min.

BTW, I am only choosing 60 x 60 because I would like to see a few more countries challenging, otherwise, go big..... 110 x 90

#68 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

PE,

Jet Services (75', 1987), Paul Ricard (about 75', 1979?), Ker Cadelac (75'-ish, '87-ish), Formula Tag (later Enza), 85' (later extended) 1983..... Oh, and perhaps Manureva (75'ish, 1968) but she may not have been successful 'till '72.

The AC boats were late to the party, as usual, with wing masts. Which IMHO is not a bad thing if they are seen as they were historically, which is as an example of a highly-developed mainstream big boat. And that, arguably, means that a lot more of the stuff that they DO refine can be used by the average sailor.

None are full wings, they are wing MASTS with soft sails.

Impressive, sure but nowhere near the level of full wings on display on Connors boat, DZ or the AC72s  

#69 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Wandering Geo wrote;

Here's 3 off the top of my head:

Winged keel 

How many do you see these days? It was basically a way around the International Rule's limit on fin keel depth.

Wings on boats over 25'

For a start, that's proving the point that the REAL innovation comes small boats like those under 25'.

Secondly, wingsails were used on boats over 25' like Guy Delarge's 60' (approx) proa around 1981 or the Walker Wingsail tri of the '70s.

Thirdly, wingsails and wing masts were very much a small boat invention, seen on things like International Canoes in the '30s and LF Herreshoff's Suicide around the same time. 

So they AC is just riding, as usual, on small boat development and arguably simply making an impractical version of it.

Wandering Geo, on 14 May 2013 - 16:47, said:snapback.png

Full foiling on sail boats over 25ft AC34Cer

Certainly not - apart from L'Hydroptere, there was Dave Culp's Williwaw which was a full foiling tri that crossed oceans decades ago.

No - first foam composite boat appears to have been the (Finn-like) O Jolles built by the daughter of Lindemann, creator of Airex, in the '50s. First composite AC boat were the '87 Kiwi 12 Metres, at least 9 years behind the first foam composite offshore racers like Boomerang (2nd, '68 Hobart).

Wandering Geo, on 14 May 2013 - 16:47, said:snapback.png

Steel masts

I think they were used in square riggers like Pamir?

Aluminium masts

????

Not sure - evidence? And IIRC it was a dead end due to electrolysis, anyway

Biggest sloop by a bit - smaller than contemporary yachts in other classes. And her designer created a rule to ban such boats in favour of a more conservative, less 'leading edge' style.

Use of CFD

Evidence?

FRP big boats? 

No - the Ocean 71 had done a round the world race about 14 years before the first FRP AC boat hit the water. The 73' Greybeard was also a foam/glass maxis in '72, 15 years before the first FRP AC boat. 

Is the AC cutting edge? Sometimes in specific ways, but overall arguably not.

This AC will use a basic hull configuration developed in modern form by Prout etc 60 years ago; a mast style developed by Canoes and small cats 80-50 years ago; foils developed by big and small boats over the past 50 or 60 years; and construction methods (carbon over foam or Nomex??) developed by Parker Contenders about '70 and 505s, FDs and 18s a few years later.

The AC DID develop Reliance - a dead end that wasn't that much bigger than contemporary cutters and was smaller than schooners of her time. It may have developed duralimum (sp) masts, dip pole gybes and coffee grinder winches. That's nothing compared to what smaller and "mainstream" boats have done.

The PR about the AC being the leading edge is just PR, IMHO. And guys like Uffa Fox went into print saying the same thing, with specific examples, in the '30s. If it's any consolation, motoring writers like JK Sevewright (sp) point out the same thing about motor racing and car development.

#70 crack

crack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:sailing golf sailing and generally enjoying life

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

my thoughts are make sure whatever the design rule it really is a boat and can handle ocean conditions ,maybe capable pof open ocean ,not another 5 minute wonder.

#71 Wandering Geo

Wandering Geo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Steel masts

Aluminium masts

FRP Big boats

Use of CFD

Seppings started using iron strappings in wooden hulls in 1830. By 1839, Brunel was building the SS Great Britain in wrought iron, with iron masts. So dissimlar hull materials and metal masts predate even America  herself. From then on, it's just a case of choosing whichever (commercially or near commercially available) material you want to use. Was Sir T.O.M. known as an aircraft guy bringing aircraft thinking into boats, or vice versa? Another example: 505s were playing with carbon masts in the 80s

And iron/steel frames and alu hull plating is an engineering dead end, as all you're really building is a giant battery.

The first FPR 12s were the glass Kiwi boats for the 86/7 Freemantle AC. As an example as to how late a take up of tech this is, in 1985/86, Cote D'Or - a carbon/nomex maxi - did the Whitbread. For sale, FWIW.

CFD? Please tell me how often the word "boat" appears here: http://en.wikipedia...._fluid_dynamics

Reliance? Largest sloop, yes. Small, in ship terms.

I am not trying to argue that the AC tech is completely new, what I am saying is that it is developed in the AC that to a different level that is bleeding edge.

Very little in technology is genuinely new, it builds on the advances and knowledge previously acquired.

Things like winged keels, duralium masts, wing sails, full foils etc certainly are based in existing technology.

If it weren't the cup would be about to be won by an aluminium boat, with a soft sail that took $100K to build. 

#72 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

How about .........