• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 BritoNYC

BritoNYC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I took some pics this afternoon (attached).

This came via email yesterday:

One of the greatest single-handed sailors in the world, Francis Joyon, is expected to arrive at Dennis Conner's North Cove today with his extreme trimaran "IDEC." 

Joyon will be berthed in the marina for a week or longer as he waits for a weather window to challenge the Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Record.

IDEC is 97 ft in length and one of the fastest ocean-going trimarans in the world.  In 2008, Joyon and IDEC set a new Single-Handed Round the World Record of 57 days, 13 hours and 34 minutes, beating the previous record by 14 days.

Joyon was last at North Cove in 2005 when he arrived to attempt the Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Record.  He succeeded in that attempt, smashing the previous record but also losing his boat after crossing the finish line.  His feat was so inspirational for local sailors that they established the "Atlantic Cup" as a symbol of the Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Record.

If you are around North Cove this week, be sure to come down and see this incredible racing machine.  She is worth the trip and will fascinate and delight you.  And if you happen to see the greatest single-handed sailor in the world on board working, be sure to wave and say "Welcome to New York City again!"

More details about IDEC are at http://www.trimaran-idec.com/

Attached Files

#2 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  Was wondering where he would dock before this attempt. Going to stop by today

#3 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Dragon tied up next to her when we got in late last night.  I know which is the sexier boat and skipper.... and it is not me unfortunately. 

#4 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

On standby as of today.

Clearly can see the retrofit job for the boards

Interesting winch mounted on the boom (why?)

Also two coffee grinders in the cockpit now, pretty sure only 1 before...

Attached Files

#5 sclero

sclero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I thought he always had the two coffee grinders.

Does anyone know what the little mini winch that is located just forward of the cockpit on the port side.  Looks to be like half a winch with no top, is it part of the automatic sheet release system?

#6 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

The winch on the boom is for reefing the main

On standby as of today.

Clearly can see the retrofit job for the boards

Interesting winch mounted on the boom (why?)

Also two coffee grinders in the cockpit now, pretty sure only 1 before...

#7 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

It is just a winch (there is line on it so you don't see the top edge as clearly in the above pic) - could be for the various furler lines.  Remember the size of the boat - it is not a "mini winch"

R034P664.jpg

Does anyone know what the little mini winch that is located just forward of the cockpit on the port side.  Looks to be like half a winch with no top, is it part of the automatic sheet release system?

#8 sclero

sclero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

It is just a winch (there is line on it so you don't see the top edge as clearly) - there is probably one on the Stb side too.  Remember the size of the boat - it is not a "mini winch"

Maybe a better way to describe it would be a half height winch.  Looking at pictures from his website you can tell it is only half height with no top that you could put a handle in.  There is also only one winch on the port side only and not one on the starboard side.

#9 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's just mounted recessed into the deck and is with little doubt coupled into the coffee grinder -

It is just a winch (there is line on it so you don't see the top edge as clearly) - there is probably one on the Stb side too.  Remember the size of the boat - it is not a "mini winch"

Maybe a better way to describe it would be a half height winch.  Looking at pictures from his website you can tell it is only half height with no top that you could put a handle in.  There is also only one winch on the port side only and not one on the starboard side.

#10 dz223

dz223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Looks like he is headed out of the harbor now.

#11 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Good luck Francis. Get that record.

#12 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Saw him about 6:30 this evening as I came off the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  He was outside the bridge and headed east, although not sure he had really taken off, as he wasn't exactly flying along.

#13 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

Great too see him back so soon...

Idec looks great and ready to go....

Good luck..

#14 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

Not sure what the official start line is for the record but that may explain why he was not flat out.

#15 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Seems odd.  I don't think he has started.  Nothing on his site, no tracking, nothing anywhere else I can find either.  Web cam of north cove shows he's gone (if its really running).  Maybe he moved (Gateway in Brooklyn like last time?).

http://www.webcams.t...ttery-Park-City

#16 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

He was sailing around NY's upper harbor yesterday evening.  Boat looked great.  Didn't seem to be headed anywhere in particular or in a hurry.  Looked more like a photo op or maybe corporate sail.

#17 NYmediaBoat

NYmediaBoat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:anything that floats or sits on the bottom of the ocean

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yesterday we did a photo shoot with Francis Joyon & IDEC in New York Harbor -- he is now on standy-by awaiting a low pressure system to ride across the north atlantic in hopes of breaking the existing record of 5d, 19h, 29m. The start will most likely be in June from Ambrose Light to Cape Lizard, UK. Here are some photos from yesterday: www.NYmediaBoat.com/joyon

#18 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

http://nymediaboat.com/joyon/

#19 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Maybe this front that generated that tornado in Oklahoma might be the ride. Should be reaching NY by the weekend.

#20 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Im going to be in NYC this weekend. Anyone know if IDEC is still there and if it is, is it still at north cove?

#21 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

I am pretty sure she is at Brooklyn's gateway marina

http://www.gwmarina.com/

I was going to sail over their and see but haven't had the time/weather. Maybe tomorrow...

The North Cove webcam indicates she has gone (as does a somewhat distant observation from the water on last Saturday)

http://www.webcams.t...ttery-Park-City

Also Enegra is in town at Liberty Landing now and out in the harbor last week but seems to have been at Gateway beforehand from the pictures on their site.  Guess who she was next to...

http://energasailing...ot-z-gutkowski/

Haven't yet figured out why Enegra is here but assume she is going to do a west to east record attempt like Safran this summer.

#22 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

It's just mounted recessed into the deck and is with little doubt coupled into the coffee grinder -

No socket on top could imply snubbing winch. To take very high loaded lines.

#23 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

So not exactly easy for anyone to go see the boat now?

#24 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Amber depart status.  Possible departure Tuesday.

http://www.thedailys...-transat-record

http://www.courseaul...ncis-Joyon.html (in French)

#25 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Any idea what the big, black carbon thing sitting at north cove is now? http://www.worldinca...-park-city.html

Doesn't look like an IMOCA or any of the maxis I can identify.

#26 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Looks fast...

HW

#27 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I didn't get a name because the rain started coming down heavy but it looked like a 100' Wally.

#28 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Looks like IDEC is starting tonight (maybe in as little as 1.5 hours...)

#29 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Looks like IDEC is starting tonight (maybe in as little as 1.5 hours...)

Now more likely Tuesday morning. I hope he has more assistance than last time to launch his boat...

#30 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looks like he's off. Seems like we've been waiting forever. 

#31 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

about 2 hours in and about 10 miles behind but running at 31 knts...

http://www.trimaran-...artographie.asp

#32 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Great to see hes off and running, amazing how quickly he put his rig back together,and jumped right back in, setting records.

#33 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

The front page(I know!) just reported this as an east to west record :blink: , where is he headed Chicago?

#34 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

LOLZ!

This looks like a pretty weak system to start in hopefully it has a good course.

#35 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Reading his website (I know, I know.... French only...) he is managing the whole process his typical way...

Flew from France just 48 hrs before the start at best, prepared everything alone by himself, or with the good will of bystanders. Had to locate someone with a big enough RIB to help him get out of the marina, had to dive to get his propeller out...

And hadn't enough time to get some food...

So asked a guy on the pontoon to get food for him.

He was Russian, so he brought him Russian food...

Francis is going to eat Russian cuisine for the whole week...

Didn't have much sleep either... but he said it is OK: "I rest best at sea..."

He also said that the swell was against him at the start and that slowed him down a bit (only 23 knots...) but now everything is fine.

The forecast is for the low system to last most likely close to the end, but the end is always the hard part on the record, because the low pressure system either runs away from you, does not go to the right spot or dies...

He is expecting some fairly South route, because of the direction of the low pressure system. So maybe a bit longer route than ideal, but on the other hand, he is happy to be a bit further from the thick fog around Newfoundland... Even though he had a lot of fog in the first few hours already. Since this is not going to be the shortest route; he reckons he will have to sail at 25 knots average pretty much all the time to beat Thomas Coville...

Cheers,

Laurent

PS: can someone tell me how you go to sleep, alone, on a monster like this, at 25 knots?...

#36 spencerogden

spencerogden

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Seems lke the Ed doesn't like others ripping of his stories, but the front page has a direct translation from Course Au Large with no credit. If you are going to repost, at least fix the word order which reads awkwardly in English.

Course Au Large:

Francis Joyon a franchi aujourd'hui mardi 11 juin à 09 heures, 12 minutes GMT (11 heures, 12 minutes HF) la ligne de départ du parcours de la traversée de l'Atlantique d'est en ouest, entre New-York et le cap Lizard à la pointe occidentale de la Cornouailles anglaise. Pour battre les 5 jours, 19 heures, 30 minutes et 40 secondes de l'actuel record établi en juillet 2008 par Thomas Coville sur le trimaran Sodebo, Francis Joyon et son maxi-trimaran IDEC doivent franchir la latitude du cap Lizard le lundi 17 juin prochain avant 04 heures, 41 minutes GMT (soit 06 heures, 41 minutes HF)

Front Page:

French sailor Francis Joyon crossed today, Tuesday, June 11 at 09 hours, 12 minutes UTC (11 hours 12 minutes HF) the starting line the route of the Atlantic crossing from east to west, between New York and Lizard Point at the western tip of Cornwall. To beat the 5 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 40 seconds of the current record set in July 2008 by Thomas Coville on Sodebo trimaran, Francis Joyon and maxi-trimaran IDEC must cross the latitude Lizard Monday, June 17 before next 04 hours, 41 minutes (GMT is 06 hours, 41 minutes HF) Next release in early afternoon.

#37 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Seems lke the Ed doesn't like others ripping of his stories, but the front page has a direct translation from Course Au Large with no credit. If you are going to repost, at least fix the word order which reads awkwardly in English.

Course Au Large:

Francis Joyon a franchi aujourd'hui mardi 11 juin à 09 heures, 12 minutes GMT (11 heures, 12 minutes HF) la ligne de départ du parcours de la traversée de l'Atlantique d'est en ouest, entre New-York et le cap Lizard à la pointe occidentale de la Cornouailles anglaise. Pour battre les 5 jours, 19 heures, 30 minutes et 40 secondes de l'actuel record établi en juillet 2008 par Thomas Coville sur le trimaran Sodebo, Francis Joyon et son maxi-trimaran IDEC doivent franchir la latitude du cap Lizard le lundi 17 juin prochain avant 04 heures, 41 minutes GMT (soit 06 heures, 41 minutes HF)

Front Page:

French sailor Francis Joyon crossed today, Tuesday, June 11 at 09 hours, 12 minutes UTC (11 hours 12 minutes HF) the starting line the route of the Atlantic crossing from east to west, between New York and Lizard Point at the western tip of Cornwall. To beat the 5 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 40 seconds of the current record set in July 2008 by Thomas Coville on Sodebo trimaran, Francis Joyon and maxi-trimaran IDEC must cross the latitude Lizard Monday, June 17 before next 04 hours, 41 minutes (GMT is 06 hours, 41 minutes HF) Next release in early afternoon.

Alternatively, it might be that both SA and Course Au Large published a press release from the same PR firm. 

#38 dz223

dz223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Saw it Sunday, I believe it is the Wally, Angels Share.

Any idea what the big, black carbon thing sitting at north cove is now? http://www.worldinca...-park-city.html

Doesn't look like an IMOCA or any of the maxis I can identify.

#39 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Course Au Large:

Front Page:

Alternatively, it might be that both SA and Course Au Large published a press release from the same PR firm. 

Yep, french version is a Flash Info on IDEC's web site.

#40 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Joyon has made a good start, but he is making a less direct route than Coville, and has lost a bit of ground.

Last report gives a speed of 42 knots. Maybe a bit too optimistic? ;)

42knots.JPG

#41 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Instant speed has some hiccups, 4 h. average is a solid 24 kn.

It will depend on the last third, Thomas Coville slowed down with a funny route there.  

#42 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Good luck to Francis Joyon with this record run.

I'm always amazed by the the seemingly easy quiet way Francis Joyon gets his way.

An older interview in Yachtingworld by Elaine Bunting quotes JP Dick about Joyon:

"When Francis leaves to go to sea, even around the world, it looks like he's going out to pick strawberries from his garden. He has this animal strength that seems to come from a medieval era."

#43 Kenny Dumas

Kenny Dumas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Weather forecast looks good, except he has to take the more southern track.  Should be fun watching.  Go Francis!  And thanks to IDEC for funding him.

#44 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Last info in IDEC's site summarized :

Difficult night for FJ :

"I've got constantly between 24 and 39 wind knots. This, in a maxi multi-hull, means a succession of sail changes and reefing and un-reefing ..."

He's a bit tired after a night almost sleepless but things seem to have stabilized a little, later.

(Me: Speed improvement might be do to this. )

FJ: "The uncertainty resides in the direction the low will take at the end, some models predict a turn to England, others that it will stay in the south."

(Me: I guess that the former will mean a record break possible, the later won't.)

About the route:

FJ: "I'm happy to get away from the fishing zones, I've seen a lot of fishing boats tonight and I've had to zig-zag between big buoys that mark the fishing zones. The sea was sometimes white with foam under a terribly dark sky."

#45 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

If you look at the latest map and weather forecast from Francis Joyon web site, he is 60+ miles behind, after close to 2 days...

But at the same time, the forecast up to 72 hours (I know, questionable on accuracy and reliability) would make one think that maybe, he can do it all on one tack only!!! So maybe he will be behind by 150 miles by the end of day 4... and recover everything, and then more, on the last stretch...

One can only hope...

#46 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

He just gybed.  To keep his angle he would have had to dive too far south, so he is investing in some time to get back towards the north.  Everything hinges on the movement of the low.... if it tracks north then he has a chance.  Otherwise, Coville will continue to hold the record.

#47 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Gybed again.

If the forecast in the web becomes true and he can ride in front of the low to the end, in 66 hours IDEC will reach cap Lizard !

It has been 2 days and 6 hours since the depart now, so ... 5 days all summed up.

#48 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Reading his website (I know, I know.... French only...) he is managing the whole process his typical way...

Flew from France just 48 hrs before the start at best, prepared everything alone by himself, or with the good will of bystanders. Had to locate someone with a big enough RIB to help him get out of the marina, had to dive to get his propeller out...
And hadn't enough time to get some food...
So asked a guy on the pontoon to get food for him.

He was Russian, so he brought him Russian food...

Francis is going to eat Russian cuisine for the whole week...

Didn't have much sleep either... but he said it is OK: "I rest best at sea..."

He also said that the swell was against him at the start and that slowed him down a bit (only 23 knots...) but now everything is fine.

The forecast is for the low system to last most likely close to the end, but the end is always the hard part on the record, because the low pressure system either runs away from you, does not go to the right spot or dies...
He is expecting some fairly South route, because of the direction of the low pressure system. So maybe a bit longer route than ideal, but on the other hand, he is happy to be a bit further from the thick fog around Newfoundland... Even though he had a lot of fog in the first few hours already. Since this is not going to be the shortest route; he reckons he will have to sail at 25 knots average pretty much all the time to beat Thomas Coville...

Cheers,

Laurent

PS: can someone tell me how you go to sleep, alone, on a monster like this, at 25 knots?...

Thanks (again) for the translation work, sleeping at 25 knots plus, no frikken idea how he can do that!

#49 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Course Au Large:

Front Page:

Ed's way too busy having a pissing match on a thread down the hall to be editing shit.

#50 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

This is why Jean-Yves Bernot is Jean-Yves Bernot and I am just.... Laurent...

Just when I say that maybe he can do the whole thing on one tack, Francis Joyon jibes for about 70 miles...

In his first audio post on his web site, he explains that he was getting to close (did I understand that right???!!) to the low pressure center (about 50 miles) and he needed to gibe to get back to the 25 to 30 TWS area.

Apparently, the latest forecasts start to get in agreement for the track of the low pressure system towards England, and it looks good... So he feels upbeat for that.

He considers that he has done a good first half, but it's "full on" all the time; when asked by the journalist, he confirms that the rythm is similar to his 24hr record attempt, except that then, he had chosen the time and the place to not only get the right wind, but also a flat sea state.

Here, right now, the swell is still bothering him, and he reckoned he did a few "nose dive", where you have to let go the sheets, to get the bows out of the water again, and then sheet in the whole thing again... Not fun apparently...

#51 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

So, not sleep then!

#52 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Course Au Large:

Front Page:

Seems like spencerogden is 'special.'  Sometimes even we publish press releases if we really like the team they are coming from and we're feeling lazy.  More in depth going up now, thanks to joan and laurent.

#53 Laurent

Laurent

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Another small jibe to the North for about 35 miles.

It looks like he is bumping into the North East corner of the strong winds below this low pressure system he is riding... but according to the forecast, the center of the low is moving faster to the east in the next 12 hours, putting him back square in the middle of the strong winds zone...

On the other hand, the end of the forecast (60 to 72 hours from now) is looking different again!!

That low pressure system would go all the way to the South West of Ireland (good)... and then may a 90 degree turn to the right and go towards the North West tip of Spain across the Bay of Biscay!!! (not so good...)

If that's the case, he'd better hurry up and hope to get squeezed out in front of that low pressure system before it makes the turn south...

Like the stone of a ripe cherry!!

#54 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I can't fathom what goes into a gybe on that boat.  Well, I can fathom it, but it scares me just to think about it.

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Exact same as your boat Mike except change the sock for a furler.

It just takes a lot longer, requiring a LOT of grinding.  

and that's if you're fit as a motherfucker.

#56 lssyac

lssyac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

It seems that Low 994/3 (sitting off Ireland) is stalling over the UK, and then disapating heading into Sunday. Hope this does not bother Francis' attempt.

http://www.weatherch...rg/ukmomslp.htm

Bon jour!

#57 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

From facebook : FJ : ETA : sunday night

#58 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

From web site, a little more explicit :

"Si je parviens à rester en avant de la dépression, je pense arriver dimanche soir à Lizard".

-> If I can stay in front of the low, I think I'll ariive sunday night at Lizard.

« c'est parfois scabreux quand IDEC s'envole à plus de 30 noeuds sur la vague. Il me faut alors le freiner en choquant les écoutes, puis relancer pour ne pas perdre l'inertie… »

-> Sometimes it's tricky when IDEC takes off at more than 30 knots over a wave. I must slow down releasing the main sheet, then speed up before losing the momentum.

A bit tiresome:

« J'ai réussi à dormir une heure cette nuit, et c'est tout… »

-> I've managed to sleep 1 hour tonight, that's all ...

"Ce record tient à pas grand chose ; il faut faire un sans faute, et naviguer à 100% des polaires du bateau… »

-> This record hangs on almost nothing; not 1 mistake and to sail 100% of the ships's polars ...

Oh! and a gybe takes 30 minutes and its a delicate exercise :)

#59 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

700 miles to go, 28.9 kn average last 4 hours ... 24 h 15 m to the finish !

But I'm beeing optimistic, last ETA posted in FB said sunday afternoon

#60 roca

roca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Francis now looking very fast and will crash covilles's record with huge margin

Impressive as always for his talent and style

Still I believe this will not be a long lasting record, it seems to me that even this was not held in best weather conditions, there is probably a good chance for a perfect ride faster than this for both Francis or Thomas.

(for the crewed record it is way more difficoult, the existing record is so terrific that it is tough to imagine someone doing better, very very hard task for yann and dona, that was a perfect ride)

#61 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Only 38nm behind the reference time and rapidly catching up.  It looks like a much better final approach than Thomas Coville on Sodebo had to the Lizard.

#62 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Times have changed. I was on a failed trans Atlantic record attempt when the time to beat was 12 days 4 hours. Can't imagine going as fast as he is for days at a time.

#63 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

22 miles ahead, and looking good, 596 to go.. awesome...

#64 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Francis now looking very fast and will crash covilles's record with huge margin

Impressive as always for his talent and style

Still I believe this will not be a long lasting record, it seems to me that even this was not held in best weather conditions, there is probably a good chance for a perfect ride faster than this for both Francis or Thomas.

(for the crewed record it is way more difficoult, the existing record is so terrific that it is tough to imagine someone doing better, very very hard task for yann and dona, that was a perfect ride)

I think he will slow down a bit towards the end, since it look like he is heated up a bit now and will have to run deeper at some point to get up towards the Lizard.

I am sure this record can fall too.... but is is a matter of finding the right low that is moving at the optimal speed and along the optimal track.  This low's rate of transit was pretty good, but it's southern track added miles to the trip.  You need to have a campaign that has the money and patience to have the boat sit in NYC for potentially months on end just waiting for the perfect low. 

It just shows how much meteo skills matter.

#65 cric

cric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Can he cut the finish line by Ushant or does he have to go all the way to Lizard? (like in the Jules Verne)

Thanks!

#66 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Looking pretty good and better.

Don't know about you guys but apart from the weather I'm watching a pretty epic race so far.

During his record 24 hour run of 666 miles he pretty much held both main and foresail sheet all the time in his hands because they constantly needed to be slackened.

I guess the situation is not very different now that he's doing runs of about 650 miles a day.

I would not be surprised if he brakes his 24 hour run.

Total respect for this man.

#67 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Can he cut the finish line by Ushant or does he have to go all the way to Lizard? (like in the Jules Verne)
Thanks!

Lizard is the official finish.

#68 yl75

yl75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

The official finish is a line from Lizard to ushant (one of the light house I think), he can cross that line anywhere

#69 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hes on track for 5 days, and a few hours... :)

#70 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

just a little under his own 24 hour record now

could set both

fingers crossed

must be exhausted

#71 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

664 miles in 24 hours after 4 days & a half of record breaking sailing .... it's not human !!!

#72 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

changing to the genoa? speed dropped from 30 to 18 knts

#73 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

back up in the high 20"s again. maybe a nap...amazing

#74 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

FJ is just unreal!  There is no one like him in our realm.

#75 Trevor B

Trevor B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

I'm still in there with my nomination for "sailor of the century."

#76 yl75

yl75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Regarding the finish line, apparently there is indeed some rules about getting close to Lizard point, anybody has the exact details ?

(couldn't find them on WSSRC site)

#77 yl75

yl75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ah found them :

b. Transatlantic - New York to The Lizard 2880NM
Start: Line drawn south true from the position of Ambrose Light Buoy: 40° 27.5' N; 073° 50.2' W
Finish: Line drawn south true from Lizard Point Lighthouse: 49° 57.6' N; 5°12.1' W

http://www.sailspeed...s-offshore.html

So nothing regarding a maximum permitted distance from Lizard point ?

Could he have ended in the bay of Biscay for instance ?

#78 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

I think you have to finish within sight of the The Lizard, as the WSSRC put a man on the point to visually confirm the finish and time.

#79 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

That man is a God, what did/does his own record stand at? 

He is so, so fast. 

#80 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

10 miles to go

#81 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

#82 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Facebook:

Francis Joyon vient de pulvériser le record de la traversée de l'Atlantique Nord : 5 jours, 2 heures, 56 minutes et 10 secondes soit 16 heures, 24 minutes et 30 secondes de moins que le record préalablement établi par Thomas Coville en 2008 !

#83 yl75

yl75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

3.4 !

edit : too late, done ! :)

Bravo à Francis !

What a guy ...

#84 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

The tracker says he's crossed the line! 

He sailed the stones off that thing, wonder if he's teeing himself up for a crack at his RTW record this winter? Would be something else to see!

#85 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

FJ is awesome.  Truly amazing. Holds all the big records now.  TC must be wondering what he can do.

#86 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

26.2 Knt average (!!!) over distance sailed, 23.3 over the course.

http://www.courseaul...tique-Nord.html

FRANCIS Joyon pulverizes THE RECORD OF THE NORTH ATLANTIC

North Atlantic Record / Sunday, June 16, 2013

Francis Joyon just pulverized the record for crossing the North Atlantic: 5 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes and 10 seconds, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 30 seconds faster than the record previously established by Thomas Coville in 2008!

A stunning finish that Francis Joyon curly repeatedly its absolute distance record over 24 hours (666.2 miles) allowed the skipper to make a difference on the second part of the course despite a remote road to the great circle.

Running time: 5 days 2:56 minutes and 10 seconds.
Improved 16 hours 34 minutes and 30 seconds record.
Circle distance 2 865 000 • Average speed: 23.30 knots
Distance on the bottom 3 222 000 • Average Speed ​​Over Ground: 26.20 knots

FRANCIS JOYON PULVÉRISE LE RECORD DE L'ATLANTIQUE NORD

Francis Joyon vient de pulvériser le record de la traversée de l'Atlantique Nord : 5 jours, 2 heures, 56 minutes et 10 secondes soit 16 heures, 24 minutes et 30 secondes de moins que le record préalablement établi par Thomas Coville en 2008 !

Un finish époustouflant où Francis Joyon a frisé à plusieurs reprises son record absolu de distance sur 24 heures (666,2 milles) a permis au skipper de faire la différence sur la deuxième partie du parcours malgré une route distante de l'orthodromie. 

Temps de course : 5 jours 02 heures 56 minutes et 10 secondes.
Record amélioré de 16 heures 34 minutes et 30 secondes.
Distance orthodromique : 2 865 milles • Vitesse moyenne : 23,30 noeuds
Distance sur le fond : 3 222 milles • Vitesse moyenne sur le fond : 26,20 noeuds

#87 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Congratulations to the Iron Man - Well done Francis!

#88 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hell yes!  Now don't go to sleep petit Francois!

#89 ancientseawolf

ancientseawolf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

One would think this should be on the mythical Front Page

#90 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

FJ is awesome.  Truly amazing. Holds all the big records now.  TC must be wondering what he can do.

This one, the Cadiz-San Salvador and the 24 hours will be broken.

The round the world ... the 2 attemps by Thomas have been amazing, around 60 days, and yet cutting thru St. Helen's Hight as Francis did reduces so much the distance to sail that makes it a lot more difficult to beat. 

#91 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

I recall looking at Sodeb'O, GA 3 and BP 5 waiting for weather windows in NY in 2009.  Sodeb'O never got one.  BP 5 set the outright record.  They were all tied up on one dock at gateway marina in brooklyn.  an amazing site.  IDEC lacks the canting mast and fine bows of Sodeb'O but that seems to not matter.  It's more about the sailors the weather window and the attitude to get it done.  Seems to me that Mr Joyon has an edge.  He just seems to do it no matter what.  Its great to have two such fantastic sailors dueling these records out.  Much thanks to IDEC and Sodeb'O for footing the bills...

#92 Geff

Geff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

The Man is a God!  Congratulations to Mr. Joyon on another most excellent record.  Most definitely a league of his own.  

#93 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Most definitely.  Joyon is simply awesome.  I was trying to describe his accomplishments to my non sailing girlfriend the other day, and I gave up because it's just hard to imagine someone who is just that much better than everyone else.  Well done FJ; Keep it up!

#94 Clovis

Clovis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Average Speed ​​Over Ground: 26.20 knots...

Alone, during 5 days...

Mindblowing! I can't tell how much I admire that man...

C.

#95 Sarimanok

Sarimanok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Amazing Francis Joyon quote:

"Following the capsize out of New York two years ago, I really wanted to show that the boat could still be fast, even though we race with the original sails that we used for the 2007 RTW record. Those are good solid sails, indeed"

(interview in French here: http://www.lequipe.f...9172#xtor=RSS-1)

#96 Cyrille Hydrogene

Cyrille Hydrogene

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Joyon really is in a league of his own! This is an unreal performance, in less than perfect conditions.

A French TV channel has a nice video of Francis crossing the line, with the boat bobbing up and down in the waves! (Hope you can watch it abroad)

http://bretagne.fran...ord-271081.html

#97 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Francis Joyon is just amazing.

How can you even blink your eyes closed for a sleep at that speed?

#98 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:sailing of course

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I remember watching a start of La route du Rhum on TV. All the big players, Bourgnon, Peyron, etc ... were in front of cameras for interviews, and in the background, there was Françis Joyon, alone in his mast, finishing to stratify the top part of the mast that he had just broken a week before.

A guy out of this world !

#99 atg

atg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

maybe someone can translate?

http://bretagne.fran...est-271529.html

#100 cms

cms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Translation ... knackered, delayed his arrival in Brest so as not to fuck things up like before, slept 10 hours total, on the limit of capsize much of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users