#1 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Last night while rigging the boat the outhaul line was sucked into the boom at the exit for the control line side.  The tack connection was being pulled to attach and it just got sucked in.  Damn.  We used the reef line to race.  (not sure if this was smart - but we wanted to go)

Now I have to figure out how to fish out the line from the exit of the boom.  Its a small rectangular exit hole on the underside of the boom that allows the line to travel to a block on the butt end of the boom and then down to the deck and back to the companionway.  So there is a good 6' of line that got sucked in.

I dont know how much purchase is inside -  I am assuming a cascade of some sort.

So now what?  Racing this weekend so its got to work.

Any ideas are appreciated.

#2 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Flip the boom up and jiggle, let gravity do its thing. May not work if its in a large purchase.

Get a case of beer, make sure there are no tender ears around and go at it with a bent wire coat hanger or the like.

Good luck.

HW

#3 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yep - this is what I thought it was gonna take.  My 12 year old skipper responsible for this is gonna get an earful in a tender fatherly way.  <_<

If that doesnt work?  Rigger?  $$$.

I cant figure out how they got the damn thing in there unless they welded the butt end on after they attached the purchase.  Its a French boat.

#4 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

how big a boom?    usually take the boom off the mast, take the end off and tilt the boom or reach inside with something..

you might try a flexible wiring fish either rod or wire type  available at your local box store..

#5 mr_fabulous

mr_fabulous

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Handy, cheap device for this sort of endeavor, which always is a total pain in the neck:

• 50 ft Steel cable Fish tape Electric Wire Cable line puller in high plastic case

$T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTiHBQ657S1pOw~~60_35.J

ebay.  About 15$

#6 FRENZY

FRENZY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm sure at least one end of the boom comes off, it will either have screws or rivets holding the end cap on.

Some booms have an opening on the back end that that 12 year old's arm will fit in just fine. BTW don't blame the

kid there should have been a fitting or a stop knot preventing it from happening in the first place.

Just take it off and re-thread the outhaul. While you are in there look at all the blocks and decide if it's time to replace them,

sounds like they have not been looked at in a long time.

Frenzy

#7 scowlover

scowlover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

The first thing to do is figure out what you have for purchase inside to know if you need to re-string any pulleys internally. Since it is foreign, that might not be an easy thing to get from the manufacturer. I have a fiber optic camera for this purpose. You might be able to rent one at your local hardware store. If you are lucky enough to just need the end through the hole, use a bent wire to fish the end of the line to one of the ends of the boom. This is relatively easy if you have the camera. The alternative is squinty eyes and a flashlight. Once you have the end in hand, you will love this next trick. Take a piece of thread, tie a small plastic bag to it sort of like a balloon, and then apply a shop vac to the opening in the middle of the boom. Let the thread in slowly and you will suck the bag out of the access hole. Pull a small line (1/8" or so) through with the thread being careful not to break the thread, then use that to pull the old rope through. When that works, you owe me a beer. 

#8 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Not sure how light it is, but you might try the fiber optic trick and either blow it or suck it out.  I used this running new wires thru ducts on my boat, and sending messengers down the boom.

#9 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

As Scowlover points out, you don't know if you've lost purchase on the internal blocks.  This is a "take it completely apart" and a then refeed with messenger for the connection

#10 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

As Scowlover points out, you don't know if you've lost purchase on the internal blocks.  This is a "take it completely apart" and a then refeed with messenger for the connection

+1
If racing this weekend, don't screw around. Take it apart and retread the whole thing. You will waste more time screwing with thread and shopvacs , if you don't know whatis in there, than if you just rip it apart. Once you know, then is the time to figure out alt methods. First time took me a 6 pack and an hr. I can do it in 5 mins between races now if needed.

#11 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

All good comments - thank you.  The butt end is welded and there are no openings except for the exit slot - the outboard end is open and I have a feeling I know what is going on now.  Boat is new to us - Platu 25 and it definately needs lots of love.  The boy is a good kid - the stopper knot came out and there she went.  Plus I let him drive and I do foredeck so he could get me back pretty easily although I dont know if he realizes that yet.

#12 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Handy, cheap device for this sort of endeavor, which always is a total pain in the neck:

• 50 ft Steel cable Fish tape Electric Wire Cable line puller in high plastic case
$T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rTiHBQ657S1pOw~~60_35.J
ebay.  About 15$
or try a good stiff gauge of tie wire(bailing wire). Stuff it into the boom and go to the other end or where you can bend the wire around the out haul line..

#13 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

So then this is easy. You probably have the same thing everyone has in there then. Just fish from the back and get one of the loose ends out. Then tape a retriever line to that and start pulling. Eventually the whole mess will come out the back, blocks and all. Then unwrap the twists and restring the thing out the back. Then fish a wire through the exit towards the mess aft. Attach the correct end to it and pull. Secret is that you need enough extra line to pull it all the way out and to keep it all straight going back in.

Easy peasy.......

#14 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

exactly what I hope to find tomorrow morning.....

#15 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

You can spend a lot of time fishing but how to grab the line if you find it?

If the outhaul has more than 2:1 purchase, I'd just pill the pins and re-rig it completely.

Probably a lot quicker than cussing at it all day.

#16 cyclone

cyclone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

You may try fishing with some tubing hooked to vacuum placed through the open end hoping to pick up the free end then rethread from there

#17 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

One of your big box home imporovement stores has electric fence wire.  Get a roll.  Indespensible for all manner ofr problems.  Take the scews out of the fasteners that hold the shit together and figure it out, rerun lines and reassemble.  Just upped mine from 2:1 to 4:1 last weekend.

#18 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Fixed it this morning.  Was way easier than I expected - still took and hour with a messenger line.  Didnt know the block was tied off at the butt end with a stopper knot visible only when we removed the boom,  We unspun the cascade and cleaned the blocks and put it back together.  probably a good thing to happen.  works so much cleaner now its almost funny.  Had a great day sailing too.  The boy had two decent starts and two 2nds in WL races.  Proud Dad.

#19 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Good - though had you gone the other approach, 3hrs later you would have been starting the "take it apart process" :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users