http://www.truthabou...s.wordpress.com

#2 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

What a Mongolian Cluster Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why  - in 2011 - ANYONE would think a print magazine about cruising with beyond horrible financials was a valuable property is beyond me when said magazine was clearly a vehicle for one or two people to party it up .

#3 dylan winter

dylan winter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

very interesting story

not the first sailing magazine to hit the rocks - nor the last

the web has killed all the classified adverts - look at the links to craigslist and ebay on here

and that left the display adverts

again killed by the web

who wants to look at a display advert when you can click on a youtube tour of the boat and a few shots of it sailing - often with a  pretty tanned girl on board

then ask a forum about the boat - a real sailor will pop up to offer you hands on advice - of the boat and possibly the girl as well

there will still be a few old style sailing magazines  - such as small craft advisor - selling to old blokes who like dense blocks of copy

the money is $100 a page.  That covers maybe three hours at the keyboard - but I write for them because I love the magazine for all its sepia craziness

I am a freelance hack and do not buy sailing magazines over here

30 years ago they were paying £100 a page  plus £25 for each picture - £50 for a front cover

now they pay....

£100 a page for the copy and zip all for pictures

so the quality of the copy has fallen - no money for research - no scope for a freelance to focus on sailing stories

and pose any question you fancy on here and you will get all the answers you could ever need

you soon get to know the people who will blather hot air and those who actually know stuff

no point in looking to the magazines for news  - it is all written months in advance

so what do they have to sell?

dreams - and there are plenty of those for free on the web

It is a long and facinating read - and good for the blokes for writing it and for trying to save a magazine

I am sure that Bob is a great bloke - high energy - and man he knows how to fill a screen with his presence

but the story reads to me as though  some well endowed hobby sailors, who had turned companies around,  thought that they could turn this one around as well

magazines are like steam engines in the day of the electric train

some will hang around out of sentiment - but most will go to the scrap yard

#4 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Whatever happens please nobody ask for the newbie to show tits. NTTAWWT

Regarding the story, poorly written at best, but it may be maybe factual. Who knows, who cares.

I agree with kent that the magazine deteriorated into a vehicle for a few people to party it up. Will be interesting too see how the online community over there digests this.

#5 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Seems the plan was:

Buy magazine for X$ without  cash in hand.

Take ownership.

Raise money somehow to pay Bob the $X.

So now you own a magazine that has such horrible financials that no one with any money would ever think of investing in it.

Said magazine is fairly unique in being essentially the opinions and adventures of exactly ONE person and said person is not too keen on cooperating for various reasons including lack of $X.

Buyers financial issues are compounded by buying the Lost Soul for over a quarter million dollars - seems VERY generous to me - and then discovering Bob is no longer all that interested in what is no longer his boat.

Various shenanigans ensue.

Magazine is out of business.

That it for the short version?

#6 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

I see an opera in the future. The two gay guy roles can be sung by baritones and Bob Bitchin (Lipkin) roile can be sung by a counter tenor.

Oh yeah. This will work.

#7 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

BobBitchin.jpg

You mean as in, "It ain't over until the fat guy sings"?  

#8 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Why anyone would even consider buying a business from a fat, drunken ex-biker is beyond me. Of course you're going to lose - their basic credo is that everyone outside their little circle is fair game.

My personal rules of thumb? The more I'm spending, the fewer the number of tattos that are acceptable. If more than 10% of their body is tattos, I walk, no matter how little I'm spending. :D 

#9 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Goodness, where have I been?

Have opened one or two copies of L&A over the years. Might have been a fine magazine, but wasn't written for me.

As someone who has lived all his life working in print media, mostly newspapers and one magazine company, I agree with Dylan 100%. Paper is a dead medium, a fish on dry land making a few last desperate flips.

#10 Five Guys Named Moe

Five Guys Named Moe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Critical mistake: thinking you can make money in the boating industry. 

#11 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,218 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Seems the plan was:

Buy magazine for X$ without  cash in hand.

Take ownership.

Raise money somehow to pay Bob the $X.

So now you own a magazine that has such horrible financials that no one with any money would ever think of investing in it.

Said magazine is fairly unique in being essentially the opinions and adventures of exactly ONE person and said person is not too keen on cooperating for various reasons including lack of $X.

Buyers financial issues are compounded by buying the Lost Soul for over a quarter million dollars - seems VERY generous to me - and then discovering Bob is no longer all that interested in what is no longer his boat.

Various shenanigans ensue.

Magazine is out of business.

That it for the short version?

Pretty much, but you leave out lots of gems. Like the sale of their boat.

It has been portrayed that we did not own our boat Wyvern.  As you can see by the Bill of Sale that is blatantly false.  What you also do not know is that we decided to sell her to use the money to help the magazine meet payroll and other critical expenses.  We found a buyer and they paid me a 10K deposit.  I was so confident in the sale that I used the money to meet payroll.  Unfortuantely the buyers changed their mind and the timing was equally unfortunate.  The magazine was in the middle of its final death throes and in the collapse of everything else…  We did not take their money and keep it for ourselves, we used it for payroll so that the people who would come to stab us in the back could get paid.

Avast.

#12 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

That pitiful rag's only use was a birdcage liner to begin with.  

The lamest of content of Reader Digest recycled jokes wrapped in maritime misbehavior - I never saw the appeal myself. 

I didn't wade through Kent Islands' thesis or click the link.

Not one fuck was given.

#13 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ha, thinking you can turn around a print magazine is like a guy thinking he can turn around a lesbian.

#14 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm with Great Red on this. I was never a subscriber. I will go see the opera though.If only to see Bob Bitchin be played by a counter tenor.

#15 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sad to watch as blame gets spread like butter on hot bread. I suppose the take home is undercapitalized magazines are like aircraft without sufficient airspeed. They crash every time and virtually all crashes have multifactorial causes. Greed, theft, incompetence , more sizzle than steak are just a few. BTW Bitching is too Falstaffian for anything but a baritone !

#16 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, music, fittness

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

BTW Bitching is too Falstaffian for anything but a baritone !

I disagree! I think bitching implies an almost whiny quality that could be better imparted by a counter tenor. Or better yet! Give the roll to a woman ala current performance practice of Handel's Giulio Cesare. Though I'm not sure how Bob Bitchin would feel about being portayed by a woman. Better than a castrato??

#17 Ĩ؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

Ĩ؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Why anyone would even consider buying a business from a fat, drunken ex-biker is beyond me. Of course you're going to lose - their basic credo is that everyone outside their little circle is fair game.

My personal rules of thumb? The more I'm spending, the fewer the number of tattos that are acceptable. If more than 10% of their body is tattos, I walk, no matter how little I'm spending. :D

Man, can you think of a couple of people who fit that?.

#18 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

I can't even figure out who got ripped off. Bob did manage - apparently - to get $100K + $280K more for an old boat in a down market out of a bankrupt and dying business, so he actually didn't do too bad. The guys that "bought" a company without actually having the money or a viable plan to run it................got about as far as one would expect with a business that NO ONE who knew anything about it would consider viable.

#19 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,679 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

I can't even figure out who got ripped off. Bob did manage - apparently - to get $100K + $280K more for an old boat in a down market out of a bankrupt and dying business, so he actually didn't do too bad. The guys that "bought" a company without actually having the money or a viable plan to run it................got about as far as one would expect with a business that NO ONE who knew anything about it would consider viable.

Well...I'm pretty certain I'm never going to see the last four years of the five year subscription I bought in 2011.

#20 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for summarising the story guys.

The sad thIng is you lost half an hour of your life reading that drivel.

I tried a couple of paragraphs, decided he needed a dose of HTFU, and moved on.

I have heard this sort of story so many times from friends who sold or bought businesses, at least the lawyers might win in the end.

My wife and I closed / gave away our businesses rather than risk the next five years in that sort of mess.

#21 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Ha, thinking you can turn around a print magazine is like a guy thinking he can turn around a lesbian.

Can't blame a guy for trying though, think about the rewards!  about the lesbian I mean.

#22 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

Can't blame a guy for trying though, think about the rewards!  about the lesbian I mean.

Like hairy armpits?

#23 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

I'd still like to see a magazine for sailors along the lines of Surfer's Journal. Ah well.

#24 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'd still like to see a magazine for sailors along the lines of Surfer's Journal. Ah well.

Not sure its quite the same, but anyway. https://www.themarinequarterly.com/

#25 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Like hairy armpits?

Fuck off, seriously I mean fuck off,  Can't a man have a nice little fantasy without some one spoiling it?  :lol: 

FD

#26 oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Like hairy armpits?

Fuck off, seriously I mean fuck off,  Can't a man have a nice little fantasy without some one spoiling it?  :lol:

FD

How 'bout braided hairy armpits? You know, Hornby Island style.

#27 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I see an opera in the future. The two gay guy roles can be sung by baritones and Bob Bitchin (Lipkin) roile can be sung by a counter tenor.

Oh yeah. This will work.

Would it be a tragic opera (genuine blood-in-the-footlights stuff), or buffa/commedia del'arte? Let us call it "Rivenditori di Sogni" (Retailers of Dreams).  Long, self-serving declaimations a la Sigfried -- interspersed with midgets in facepaint hitting each other with bladders on sticks whilst the chorus makes fart noises.

Cast

Deprecio (bar.), merchant

Fellatio (ten.), merchant

Bobo (count. ten.), a gelato seller

Lawyers

Unemployed journos (chorus)

Act 1.i

[A fat man with tattoos pedals an ice-cream vendor's tricycle across the stage.  Calliope music]

Deprecio: I've had a look at the financials, pet, and I fear we shall not make payroll.

Fellatio: You worry too much.  You always worry.  It gives you age lines.  You should be happy, like before.

Dep.: We're selling lifestyles, but no one's buying.  We're selling dreams, but dreams are free on the internet.

Fel.: Dreams should be free, my love.  As free as the wind and the waves, as free as a sailboat on the ocean blue.

Dep:That too we must discuss.  How much did we pay for our sailboat?

Fel. Bobo needed the money.  He wanted to buy a gelato stand.  Is he not a happy man now, Bobo?

[Bobo enters from left, sucking suggestively on a Rocket Pop.]

Bobo: Oh yeah!

[Slaps gut. Exits]

Fel. We could be happy like Bobo.  It's all a dream, we are the purveyors of dreams. Why fret about the lawyers, the unpaid bills, making payroll?

Chorus: [fart noises]

#28 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Floater:

Get a grip on yourself.

Diarm:

Nice work! Great. I can't wait to see it. Could you please write in a role for Cecilia Bartoli. She's a favorite of mine. I love her voice and her big butt.

#29 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oooh, ooh... Bartoli could play The Lost Soul, object of contention between the parties.  Costumed as a classic ship's figurehead, with bosom spilling forth and hair flying, she laments the foolish behavior of the men around her, as she slips into neglect. Her Act IV aria, "Barca Solitaria", stops the show: "Who will paint my bottom now, / who will trim my sails? /  Lawyers' hands are cold hands, / A boat without love must die."

2003LostSoulUnderway.jpg

She could strap some davits on her booty, if you like that sort of thing.;)

#30 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Like the man said....

"I ended up with a million dollars in the bank after 4 years in the the sailing mag business. I started out with 3 million dollars."

#31 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Reluctantly, I cannot reveal EVERYTHING for legal reasons, but we are prepared and ready to do just that in court, if and when the time comes.

Well, I couldn't read it.  I hope what ever role the author had in the publishing world, it wasn't as a editor.

I think the usual advice to anyone wanting to publish a tale like this is to write, put it in drawer, and forget about it. It can't possibly improve your reputation with public. It won't help, and may hurt, pending litigation, and may trigger new litigation. It's a losing move.

#32 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Gee wizz Diarm! You have a knack for this.  "Who will paint my bottom now, / who will trim my sails? " Me! Me!

I can see my darling Cecilia as a figurehead.

I bought her cd MISSION but I have yet to make it all the way through in one listening. It's a bit over my head.

We're going to need a lot of bottom paint though.

Attached Files

#33 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Diarm:

I don't want to pressure you but I was thinking.

With Bitchin sung by a counter tenor maybe the two gay buyers could be Fasolt and Fafner type basses.

#34 deluxe68

deluxe68

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

The lamest of content of Reader Digest recycled jokes wrapped in maritime misbehavior - I never saw the appeal myself. 

Not one fuck was given.

They had some decent boobies once in a while.

#35 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Not one fuck was given.

Also available free on the internet. (So I'm told.)

#36 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Perhaps they should have bought the U.S. postal service, and tried to save that business to, after all, its just more zeros....

#37 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

I dunno Bob, somehow I can't picture the counter tenor singing the B. Bitchin role; a guy that big has gotta sing down low. Would you settle for a re-incarnation of Ivan Rebroff singing the part both ways?

I kinda always had a juvenile fascination with Lats & Atts. I will miss reading it in the head (although the paper was definitely not Sears & Roebuck quality).

#38 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

I dunno Bob, somehow I can't picture the counter tenor singing the B. Bitchin role; a guy that big has gotta sing down low.

That's why it's funny! Cecilia booming along under Bobo's falsetto.

Which, BTW, is one of my fave musical stunts -- a duet where male & female voices exchange the high part.  Josh Ritter did a harmony like that with sultry Karin Bergquist of Over the Rhine. Track 8.

#39 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, I think Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers did that too on ISLANDS IN THE STREAM.

We gotta keep Bob B. in the counter tenor. I think the castratti were big, fat fellows anyway. Things get strange when they cut your nuts off. So I'm told.

#40 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

I don't think they had HRT programs in those days.

#41 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, I think Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers did that too on ISLANDS IN THE STREAM.

We gotta keep Bob B. in the counter tenor. I think the castratti were big, fat fellows anyway. Things get strange when they cut your nuts off. So I'm told.

Because the lack of testosterone affected their bone growth, castrattri often had very long limbs and huge rib cages. The irony here is that they were the rock stars of their time. So in the 18th century, if you wanted to get the girls, chopping off your balls was the way to go...glad that trend passed! :blink:    

#42 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Because the lack of testosterone affected their bone growth, castrattri often had very long limbs and huge rib cages. The irony here is that they were the rock stars of their time. So in the 18th century, if you wanted to get the girls, chopping off your balls was the way to go...glad that trend passed! :blink:    

You can say a lot of things about Bob B, but lacking balls aint one of them.

#43 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Suddenly, I find myself very interested in opera.

Introducing me to Cecilia Bartoli is the only productive thing to come out of this thread.

Yum.

Gee wizz Diarm! You have a knack for this.  "Who will paint my bottom now, / who will trim my sails? " Me! Me!

I can see my darling Cecilia as a figurehead.

I bought her cd MISSION but I have yet to make it all the way through in one listening. It's a bit over my head.

We're going to need a lot of bottom paint though.

#44 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,218 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not one fuck was given.

Pics or they didn't happen.

#45 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

wasted 10 minutes of my life - skimming the link. Too funny.

What role does Katheleen Battle get ?

#46 Sugar Caine

Sugar Caine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Cape Dory, Maine, singlehanding, beer.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

The funniest part of that whole rant/screed/whatever was when they referred to Latitudes and Attitudes as "intellectual property". 

Clearly they never read their own magazine.

#47 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

`Fuck The World' sail number? ... noice.

An opera is hardly the exit of a tattooed hard man biker... what would his mates say?

#48 Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

What role does Katheleen Battle get ?

Only one female, and that's the boat.  We are talking, here, about the realities of sail cruising. ^_^ Like early opera and theatre, women are not permitted on that stage. They confuse the lads.  If we had both Cecilia and Kathleen, Bobo would crash his tricycle into the orchestra pit.

Pics or they didn't happen.

Nice boobies.

(Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. But sailors sure like them boobies.)

#49 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Diarm:

That pic of the boobies strikes me a a great costume for the two gay buyers.

And congrats on making the front page.

#50 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Composer = ?

#51 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Oooh, ooh... Bartoli could play The Lost Soul, object of contention between the parties.  Costumed as a classic ship's figurehead, with bosom spilling forth and hair flying, she laments the foolish behavior of the men around her, as she slips into neglect. Her Act IV aria, "Barca Solitaria", stops the show: "Who will paint my bottom now, / who will trim my sails? /  Lawyers' hands are cold hands, / A boat without love must die."

Now THIS is quality content !    Damn,  you have the VIBE down solid.

#52 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

SemI;

We can get Amati to compose it. I think it should be sung in Italian. Not sure we actually want to understand what they are saying/singing. We can get Cazza Randa to translate Diarm's libretto.

#53 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

What could possibly go wrong?
You buy a print magazine when the internet is making print obsolete.

You acknowledge to everyone, including the seller that you don't have the money to execute the deal or to print the first issue (based on financials that you did due diligence on).

You say you are a turnaround expert on failing businesses, you buy the old owner a $280,000 boat to use and pay him $100,000 a year to use it.

Your seller's name is Mr. Bitchin.

I just can't see anything wrong with this logic!

#54 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

What could possibly go wrong?
You buy a print magazine when the internet is making print obsolete.

You acknowledge to everyone, including the seller that you don't have the money to execute the deal or to print the first issue (based on financials that you did due diligence on).

You say you are a turnaround expert on failing businesses, you buy the old owner a $280,000 boat to use and pay him $100,000 a year to use it.

Your seller's name is Mr. Bitchin.

I just can't see anything wrong with this logic!

Bob clearly did not understand the aging, out of shape, overly horny, cruiser demographic that L&A catered to, and so was unable to fully monetize the brand. The gay guys could see that, and were much more in tune with the L&A audience than Bitchin.

#55 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

SemI;

We can get Amati to compose it. I think it should be sung in Italian. Not sure we actually want to understand what they are saying/singing. We can get Cazza Randa to translate Diarm's libretto.

Amati? Will it be all violins?

#56 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

SemI;

Amati? Will it be all violins?

No, we'll need some sax too.

#57 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:55 AM

There's no sax in opera!

#58 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

Opera without sax and violins? Must be pablum.

#59 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

No shit!

After about paragraph three I was begging for the Cliff Notes  You can count the cogent sentences on one hand in that diatribe. Oh, and he could learn to use proper spelling to keep proper context. Words do mean things.

#60 jhiller

jhiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

There's no sax in opera!

Puccini requires two alto saxophones onstage in Turandot....

Saxaphones have been used in a number of operas.

#61 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sax onstage is always fun to watch.

I loved this part:

First of all, do any of you REALLY believe that 2 Gay Guys could bamboozle THE Bob Bitchin that easily?  Seriously?

So the ever-popular gays are too stupid to fool anyone meme? WTF?

#62 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,679 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Bob clearly did not understand the aging, out of shape, overly horny, cruiser demographic that L&A catered to,

Hey!  I resemble that comment!

#63 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I agree. Exactly what does their sexual orientation have to do with their potential ability to defraud someone?

If a straight person had made such a commment, the LGBT culture would be lamenting the hate and discrimination against them.

I love how they play the "gay card" both ways when it suits them.

I loved this part:

First of all, do any of you REALLY believe that 2 Gay Guys could bamboozle THE Bob Bitchin that easily?  Seriously?

#64 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Jim:

Those sax's were interjected into TURANDOT by the guy who finished it for PUCCINI.

After the first run through the promoter told the guy the opera needed "more sex" the take over composer though he said, "More sax."

#65 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I agree. Exactly what does their sexual orientation have to do with their potential ability to defraud someone?

If a straight person had made such a commment, the LGBT culture would be lamenting the hate and discrimination against them.

I love how they play the "gay card" both ways when it suits them.

I loved this part:

Yeah, that was really stupid on their part.  Hey Gay Guys, your orientation is irrelevant to the business situation unless someone else makes it so.  

#66 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

My fear is that if one of us had mentioned they were gay we woud be labeled bigots. But they can mention it with impunity and then act like it affords them some special status.

I agree with BJ. It has nothing at all to so with this.

But it will work great in the opera.

#67 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Bob clearly did not understand the aging, out of shape, overly horny, cruiser demographic that L&A catered to,

Hey!  I resemble that comment!

Yeah, me too, well except my cruising is limited to weekends on the lake. I had just started a new subscription with them and never got the first issue out of it.

#68 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yeah - For the Opera it will totally work!

Two castrati chase BobBitchio all over the stage while the Fat Lady tries to cut them off and claim her prize.

#69 Trickypig

Trickypig

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Two castrati chase BobBitchio all over the stage while the Fat Lady tries to cut them off and claim her prize.

..and pirates; can we have pirates for a touch of Gilbert and Sullivan? That'll camp it up nicely.

#70 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'm not surprised by any of this. Especially the opera.

#71 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Of course you can have pirates Tricky. Got to have some pirates.

We can get Amati to write a duet for the buyers ( bass voices) the duet will be based on BLOW THE MAN DOWN.

#72 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

..and pirates; can we have pirates for a touch of Gilbert and Sullivan? That'll camp it up nicely.

Well, it's "light" opera init?

Er....NTTAWWT. Just a little light in the Topsiders.

#73 The Red Lady

The Red Lady

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think that the boat needs its own theme. As a professional horn player, might I humbly sugest to the composer something like Seigfried's long call. Even an opera buffa needs a little drama!

#74 Jim in Halifax

Jim in Halifax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing. All things jazz and recording. Most things musical. Old British cars.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

DAMN! This such an erudite bunch over here at CA. We gotta get Robert Lepage working at staging this at the Met...will the stage be big enough for Bitchin (and the sax)?

#75 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, that's it. A huge teeter totter that covers the Met stage with the castratti Bitchin on one end and the alternating rest of the cast on the other. We can shift the fulcrum hydraulically so it stays in balance.

Imagine that. The teeter totter teetering in a sea and wave like motion and rhythm with big, fat, old counter tenor Bob on one end and the two Fasolt and Fafner gay basses on the other end. Maybe my darling Cecilia at the fulcrum.

This will be spectacular!

#76 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

World's Largest Opera Composing Studio?

...or WLOCS?

#77 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Just a guess. but this thread is not going as the OP expected :lol:

#78 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think that the boat needs its own theme. As a professional horn player, might I humbly sugest to the composer something like Seigfried's long call. Even an opera buffa needs a little drama!

B) aka a respectable person involved in culturally and professionally acceptable blowjobs  :lol:

this Bob B. guy has some Wagnerian aspects, so you might conceive this as gay opera buffo meets over the top Wagnerian over the top drama

#79 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Rhinegold meets Feldermaus with just a touch of Jersey Shore ?

How to work in a cameo with Bette Midler ?

#80 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Alby:

I think I can provide Bob B's costume. I'm sure my son would be willing to lend it for the production.

Not sure my darling granddaughter is ready for the Met stage yet though.

Attached Files

#81 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

http://www.truthabou...s.wordpress.com[/size]

finally the cost of "living the dream" they have been promoting for years. really it is happening just as the skipper slips into a position where he may not be able to continue. I hope he writes thank you cards for the gifts he got for his party.

#82 lord_nougat

lord_nougat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Beans, movies with gladiators in them, your daughter, explosions, machinery, living life as a nomadic hobo, giant robots, shell scripts which delete your home directory, ethanol, the Bernoulli principle, and getting on your nerves.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for summarising the story guys.

I have heard this sort of story so many times from friends who sold or bought businesses, at least the lawyers might win in the end.

My wife and I closed / gave away our businesses rather than risk the next five years in that sort of mess.

I lost more than that because it was so horrifically formatted, with only sporadic punctuation and Randomly capitalised Letters all over the place that I had to read it pretty slowly, and read certain parts multiple times just to try to figure out what exactly they were trying to say. Oh well, I guess writing a magazine was just not for them; shame they had to lose their boat over it.

#83 lord_nougat

lord_nougat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Beans, movies with gladiators in them, your daughter, explosions, machinery, living life as a nomadic hobo, giant robots, shell scripts which delete your home directory, ethanol, the Bernoulli principle, and getting on your nerves.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Like hairy armpits?

FD

The sensible shoes and really nice truck should more than make up for the hairy pits!

#84 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

The whole Opera aspect of this thread reads like a 1969 acid trip in the making. A modern variant of Rocky Horror maybe?

#85 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

The Bobbo Horror Show?

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Bitchin and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamboat?

Nah.

#86 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

If the theme of this thread was cinematic instead of operatic it would sorta parallel It's a mad,mad,mad,mad, world. The cast is already in place.

#87 Capt MArc

Capt MArc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

Does the Editor get a feeling of Schadenfreude over the loss and demise of another magazine?

#88 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I doubt it. Latts&Atts had a pretty small overlap with SA.  The Ed mainly seems to root for KWRW self-destructing and bitch about that other website for racing sailors.

#89 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

The Editor has little to do with this thread. The inhabitants of Cruising Anarchy began dissecting the blog as soon as it was linked here.

Does the Editor get a feeling of Schadenfreude over the loss and demise of another magazine?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailing, cruising, bob bitchin, sextant publishing, Latitudes and Attitudes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users