Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Time for the annual GA fishing thread.

Grabbs ? TPG ? . . .

I'm heading down to the Keys in three weeks and getting all jiggy with anticipation.

Who's been doing what ?

#2 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Caught a few kings and some ax handle Spanish last sun no pics though.
Going offshore tomorrow for AJs and whatever else. Can't keep grouper or snapper yet.

#3 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,346 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Big friggin bass tourney of some sort going on here, if you get excited catching fish that are a foot long. Personally, I think that's kinda Crappie.

#4 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Went looking for Bass this morning, found a ton of really fun 5-6lb bluefish. Good enough!

#5 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

Stripers are running in the lower CT River.  Couple guys got a dozen over 30 inches the other morning in Haddam just south of the plant.

#6 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just finished a helluva cobia season here...got out a couple times...this day we saw 8 caught 5...big one was 63 pounds...them's some gooood eating right there too  :D

678349b4-98fc-41f0-bbea-68e43d21f4d1_zps

#7 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Plenty of trout fishing the past month. Next week the boat goes in the water, so then I can do some striper and walleye fishing. A few weeks until small mouth season opens, which is probably my favorite of any fish to catch. The upper Delaware here has just tons of big smallmouth.

#8 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Went looking for Bass this morning, found a ton of really fun 5-6lb bluefish. Good enough!

Did you get the Mako finished ?

#9 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Just finished a helluva cobia season here...got out a couple times...this day we saw 8 caught 5...big one was 63 pounds...them's some gooood eating right there too  :D

Yikes !

That spring run is on my bucket list. Where was that pic taken

Do you or Puffy fish those panhandle Tarpon.  I heard Indian Pass, right?

#10 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Yikes !

That spring run is on my bucket list. Where was that pic taken

Do you or Puffy fish those panhandle Tarpon.  I heard Indian Pass, right?
When I loved on Cape San Blas I caught a few of those tarpon. They come late June and sometimes stick around till September.
For me they are about the ficklest fish I have ever targeted, you have to throw the right bait or they will nose it and swim away.

#11 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,629 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

caught a 32 in. striper 2 days ago while on my mooring listening to some tunes.  

#12 Nettles

Nettles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Dumped the fish killer in literally less than two hours ago and threw the 6 lobster traps I launched her with over the side as well.  Tomorrow AM I have a date with the mackeral which showed up here a couple of weeks ago, to see if my livewell Rube Goldberg setup works.  Confidence is not especially high, I'll let you know.

#13 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts
  • Interests:Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Evenstar"

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

If I was in Rhode Island I'd be catching stripers from my front yard by now.

I can not figure out these f*%*ing Caribbean fish, I haven't caught anything worth eating since a few Mahi on the trip down in November.  The last two days in the anchorage there has been *something* boiling up in the water all around me.  Big somethings, they look the size of stripers or blues with the splashes they are making in tight packs.  Chasing this crap all over the anchorage with the dinghy...I'm ready to try dynamite.

I'm think I need to throw out 90% of the crap tackle I have with me and figure out what works locally.  The locals seem to favor nets...

#14 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

I can not figure out these f*%*ing Caribbean fish, I haven't caught anything worth eating since a few Mahi on the trip down in November.  The last two days in the anchorage there has been *something* boiling up in the water all around me.  Big somethings, they look the size of stripers or blues with the splashes they are making in tight packs.  Chasing this crap all over the anchorage with the dinghy...I'm ready to try dynamite.

I'm think I need to throw out 90% of the crap tackle I have with me and figure out what works locally.  The locals seem to favor nets...

Where about are you?
Use small jigs and you can catch all different variaties of snapper. Grouper like live and dead bait but I have caught them on deep trolling Repalas and Yazuries but you have to get the lure deep. You will snag a reef or 2 and might lose a lure but once you get it down there near them it will be worth it. I have use that technic whilst sailing in +-30ft water and had plenty for dinner that night. Put that on some heavy tackle because it hard to slow the boat down and pump that fucker in.
When in blue water troll a heavy headed door knob style lure and you can catch kings, mahi, wahoo, and billfish.
Keep us (or me) updated I love and miss fishing in the islands.

#15 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

Where about are you?
Use small jigs and you can catch all different variaties of snapper. Grouper like live and dead bait but I have caught them on deep trolling Repalas and Yazuries but you have to get the lure deep. You will snag a reef or 2 and might lose a lure but once you get it down there near them it will be worth it. I have use that technic whilst sailing in +-30ft water and had plenty for dinner that night. Put that on some heavy tackle because it hard to slow the boat down and pump that fucker in.
When in blue water troll a heavy headed door knob style lure and you can catch kings, mahi, wahoo, and billfish.
Keep us (or me) updated I love and miss fishing in the islands.

Currently we're in St. Lucia, anchored in about 20' of water in Rodney Bay.  I was snorkeling yesterday while cleaning the boat bottom and didn't see a single fish under the boat.  Of course, those other f&*^ing things were breaking water 100 yards way...  The other day we had a 2-3' barracuda hanging around under the dinghy.

Deep water we had some on the crossing down with a couple of different things.  But once we park somewhere I'm at a loss.   I need to get better local jigs & colors I think, though I was under the impression bucktails did reasonably well anywhere.

#16 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Pay attention to your "terminal tackle". Are you using shiney swivels and hooks? If so you might want to try black, sometimes fish are aware of the difference. Also what are you using for leader material? Most species don't like wire, years ago I switched to heavy mono and florocarbon with good luck. And what knots are you using to tie off your lure with? Some knots hamper the lures ability to shake, rattle and roll, so try something different. Make sure your hooks are sharp, I have lost too many fish because of dull hooks. Good luck.

#17 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Been rising some small Tarpon in the canal behind my home the past few weeks,  Some hits,  Hooked a few but loose them quickly.    30-40lb Tarpon on a 8 Wt fly outfit from the side of a canal is not conducive to a high landing ratio.

Still those few minutes are fun as hell.

Tarpon all over the Ocean Side channels of Biscayne Bay and the Keys.   Lots of Redfish up along the Glades and the Bayside Flats.  

A friend invited me to go for some Seatrout next week.  They say they are schooling heavily north of Venetian Causeway all the way up to Haulover inlet.

#18 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

Unlike hunting which is immoral I dont have a problem with people who fish seems like each party is equally intellectually and physically armed for the battle

#19 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

Tuna season is rapidly approaching. I like the water temps this year. If this rate of temp keeps up it'll be a very long very epic season. And probably a few fish that will completely test a Shimano Stella 20000

#20 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Fishing for tuna is immoral.

#21 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Fishing for tuna is immoral.

Nobody cares what you think.

#22 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

You cared enough to post.

I have schooled you AGAIN!

#23 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,265 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

Are you really this fuking lonely? Maybe you should go to the atm-----then go rent a 'friend'.........

#24 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Red emperor have been good...

IMG_0074.JPG

#25 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

Some sails

IMG_0147.JPG

#26 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Red emperor have been good...

IMG_0074.JPG

That's a bloody beauty, mate :)

#27 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Coral trout.

IMG_0201.JPG

#28 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Pay attention to your "terminal tackle". Are you using shiney swivels and hooks? If so you might want to try black, sometimes fish are aware of the difference. Also what are you using for leader material? Most species don't like wire, years ago I switched to heavy mono and florocarbon with good luck. And what knots are you using to tie off your lure with? Some knots hamper the lures ability to shake, rattle and roll, so try something different. Make sure your hooks are sharp, I have lost too many fish because of dull hooks. Good luck.

Mostly black.  I'm a little puzzled by terminal tackle down here.  When you have things like barracuda, wahoo, mackeral etc. swimming around with largish teeth what do you use to keep them from chomping through a non-wire leader?  I'm used to fishing around bluefish where you need something hefty.

Mostly I've been using black wire leaders (when I use them), Swivels and clips I use are black, or tying in with an Improved Clinch Knot when I tie on.  I know that's not the best knot any more, but it's one of the ones I can tie on without getting out a book and a pair of reading glasses since I've been tying them since I was a kid.  That knot shouldn't matter for a jig like a bucktail.

I'll look into some lighter leaders.

I do notice the tackle selection around here does run to a lot of swimming plugs - Rapala style fish and the like.  Are those effective in the tropics?  I'm sure they had some effectiveness up North but I still tended to have better result with surface splashing lures or bucktail jigs with rubber things hung on them.

#29 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

BJ

The Rapala X-Rap Magnum 30's are awesome. The dorado and orange/yellow are great.

Trolling the 35-40 feet contours @ 5knts will put Grouper and Snapper in the boat.

They work well offshore too. Everything will hit 'em. They will track straight to 13 knts and wahoo and dorado have no trouble hitting lures going that fast.

Fluoro leader is best. Mono's good too. 60lb is plenty.

Short single strand coffee colored wire leader will work ok and save some lures if 'cuda or wahoo are around

Flouro leaders are a must for baitfishing shallow snapper. 20lb with small hooks and loooong leaders

Learn the Uni Knot and the uni to uni knot to connect to different lines together. Very versatile.

Here's a smallish mutton snapper that hit an X-Rap 30 in 40' of water

P1080937.jpg

#30 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

We just got back from mountain lake fishing.  Came home with a freezer full of really nice rainbow trout.  Must have about 50 or so in there easily.  Had to eat a few before we got home as there wasn't any more freezer space.  My wife went out and ordered a new small freezer to add to the trailer so that we will have more room next year!  Love that woman.

#31 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Red snapper.

Picture%20Iphone%20151.jpg

#32 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Spaniard.

Picture%20Iphone%20357.jpg

#33 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

BJ,  those were probably Jacks tearing up things.  they are fun but not eatin fish.  Good luck

#34 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

IMG_0768.JPG

We get a few of them...

#35 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

IMG_0768.JPG

We get a few of them...

I think the definition of "fish for eating" varies a lot from place to place.

#36 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

We don't release anything. Most of it goes straight to the orphanage.

Don't make assumptions BJ.

#37 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm not making assumptions at all.  Dolphinmaster commented they weren't for eating, you looked like you were bringing a mess home...presumably someone would eat them.

There's a lot of fish that Americans assume are "inedible" that elsewhere in the world people eat.

Heck, I had no idea that Lionfish were safe to eat, until I found out people were spearing them in Dominica and cooking them up.

#38 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I am 99% Catch and release,  I have kept a Snooks or Redfish on a rare occasion when I friend asks for one to eat.  I am also mostly use Fly or lures and prefer sight fishing.   trolling around to a dull drone all day in the Gulf Stream hoping to attract a fish holds little interest to me.

#39 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

I'm not making assumptions at all.  Dolphinmaster commented they weren't for eating, you looked like you were bringing a mess home...presumably someone would eat them.

There's a lot of fish that Americans assume are "inedible" that elsewhere in the world people eat.

Heck, I had no idea that Lionfish were safe to eat, until I found out people were spearing them in Dominica and cooking them up.

My bad, I took your post out of context.

If those Jacks weren't getting eaten they'd go back in the water. Good fun to catch on light gear.

#40 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

First Cape Cod BFT has been landed on light tackle as of 30min ago by a buddy.

Its on!!!

#41 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

That's cool.

Is that a canyon run for you or do you go up to where the Stupid Tuna Show guys fish ?

#42 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Where Retarded Tuna fish.

Bout a 15-20 mile ride from where I launch the Mako.

Fish was Trophy+ (over 74 inches)

#43 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Let's see some Mako pics. You all done with it ?

#44 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Done? With a boat? Who ever is done with their boat?

2012-05-26_12-58-06_49.jpg

Building a doghouse off the console this fall. The first couple runs this season have been brutal.

#45 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

Looking good. That's a mighty handsome boat.

I can see why a doghouse would be handy in that neighborhood. An aftermarket unit or a custom one-off ?

Gonna be a challenge aesthetically to blend it in to that classic Mako style.

Will you be using stand-up gear for BFT. 50w with spectra or what ????

Man, I don't think I'd even want to mess with a giant these days.

It would kick my ass.

#46 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

IMG_0768.JPG

We get a few of them...

I think the definition of "fish for eating" varies a lot from place to place.

G,

Those look like bait?

salmon up N and yellowtail just coming in down S..let's see how it shapes up

#47 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

3-4lbs

#48 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Looking good. That's a mighty handsome boat.

I can see why a doghouse would be handy in that neighborhood. An aftermarket unit or a custom one-off ?

Gonna be a challenge aesthetically to blend it in to that classic Mako style.

Will you be using stand-up gear for BFT. 50w with spectra or what ????

Man, I don't think I'd even want to mess with a giant these days.

It would kick my ass.

I have a pair of Tiagra 50's but they mostly go for boat rides. Its all about spinning gear. (We'll disregard they're a Stella 10k with 16k spool, Stella 18k, Stella 20k, all of which are monster reels in their own right and Shimano originally made them for the GT fishing market. All rods are JDM derivative of GT rods or purpose built cape cod bluefin blanks)

I have a 3/4" wide lip all the way around the console where the windshield sits that I can reinforce behind and put in T Nuts to bolt the doghouse to and keep it seamless. So it'll work out. Then I can flush mount my Simrad NSE8 and NSS7 instead of off and on every time I run the boat.

Gonna build it myself. Still sorting out core materials, Probably foam core with a balsa roof core to keep the COG way down. Alot easier to do this on an inboard with 900lbs way down low than it would be with an o/b. I should hit fixit anarchy and see what the gurus say for materials.

#49 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Got out to the patch last weekend...Yellowfin and Dorado!!...

f07e074f-5470-46b7-a4bc-e130ad688ab0_zps

#50 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

How about this pair of whoppers.

bassfishing2.jpg

#51 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

bassfishing2.jpg

The one on the right seems to be bigger than the one on the left.

Nice dorado Grabs!

#52 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

You look a little fuzzy headed.  Drinking much while fishing?

#53 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm outta here. See ya in ten days :)

#54 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

bassfishing2.jpg

The one on the right seems to be bigger than the one on the left.

Nice dorado Grabs!

Her right or her left?  

#55 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm outta here. See ya in ten days :)

We'll be needing pics to back up any fish tales you decide to spin...

#56 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Waiting for this goddamn weather to break other than random tuesdays/wednesdays.

#57 Tranquilo

Tranquilo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

Typical day at work:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3ubxFaewQAw

#58 Nettles

Nettles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

IMG 0789

44" striper on a live mackeral at about 6 this morning.  First hookup of the year, and only about the third hit.  Biggest striper of my career.  Took about 15 minutes to doublehand her into the skiff, and about another 15 to stop shaking.

Let the games begin!

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,684 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

nice fucking cow!

#60 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

44" striper on a live mackeral at about 6 this morning.  First hookup of the year, and only about the third hit.  Biggest striper of my career.  Took about 15 minutes to doublehand her into the skiff, and about another 15 to stop shaking.

Let the games begin!

Nice fish!  Some lemon and orange slices in the cavity, marinated in white wine and balsamic vinaigrette, a few minutes on the grill and what do I have to do to get an invitation for supper??!?!  

#61 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

31.jpg

#62 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

32wtmk5.jpg

#63 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

2.jpg?w=430

#64 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

twogirls_onecarp.jpg

#65 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Had another great trip to the Keys, fishing around the Seven Mile Bridge out of Marathon.

The weather was a bit sketchy at times, but we worked around it and even took a trip out to the reef edge and then offshore for short while.

The view:

P1040236_zps604b42ef.jpg

P1040253_zps969f2f19.jpg

P1030747_zps958e370b.jpg

P1040282_zpsc9d80b48.jpg

#66 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

We invited these to dinner :

P1040136_zpsf440a900.jpg

P1030850_zpsf3b0966f.jpg

P1040185_zps6c52edb5.jpg

#67 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Lot's of these:

IMG_0169_zpsade7c364.jpg

Three of these, this one the smallest by far :

P1040227_zps615d412e.jpg

#68 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

And three Tarpon whupped with 4 others jumped :

IMG_0212_zps547292e2.jpg

P1040006_zps14ff0ebd.jpg

P1040004_zps7fafa921.jpg

P1040003_zps17e5194b.jpg

IMG_0258_zps85df10a0.jpg

#69 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have not heard of a BFT under 70 inches being caught so far this year.

Thats terrifying.

#70 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,346 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

http://www.fishandfl...d-bonefish.html

#71 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

WFD!!!

#72 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,265 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Just got this link from my son. Tell me I didn't raise this Kid well or what......:lol:

Danishchicksfishing.jpg

http://web.archive.o...--UGE-27---2011

#73 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Better late than never.

#74 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Nice mid-winter day in NW Fl.....quick skiff ride to the bridge...yield?...about a dozen nice sheepshead....anything that eats oysters for a living has to taste good...  :D 

CAM00278_zpsc15f88e8.jpg

#75 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Nice mid-winter day in NW Fl.....quick skiff ride to the bridge...yield?...about a dozen nice sheepshead....anything that eats oysters for a living has to taste good...  :D 

CAM00278_zpsc15f88e8.jpg

Nice job Grabs. I've been picking em up under the Destin bridge, and cruising the bayous in Shalimar, and by Specter Is.
Tough to clean but yummy to eat.

#76 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

The only fishing WE are doing is fishing around under 9" of snow to find stuff that wasn't put inside the garage before the storm....  Nice haul, Grabs!  When will the redfish start runnin' down your way? 

#77 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

CAM00278_zpsc15f88e8.jpg

Nice job Grabs. I've been picking em up under the Destin bridge, and cruising the bayous in Shalimar, and by Specter Is.
Tough to clean but yummy to eat.

Same bridge...were you out there Sunday??

#78 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

fyi  http://www.miamihera...ouraged-by.html

I haven't wet a hook in decades but fishing looks generally good in this area.  http://www.sanibelcaptivafishing.net/

#79 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

Oh fer . . .

This stupid website is refusing to let me paste pics now <_<

#80 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

We're in a drought, but the weather has been awesome.

Here's a fly caught striper pushing 30 inches from Jan 10th

20140110_153627_zps61d3600f.jpg

#81 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

Here's another

IMG_0100_1_zps998c5555.jpg

#82 B.J. Porter

B.J. Porter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,089 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:17 AM

Caught this pestilential thing on the trip from Aruba to Panama last month.

IMG_4417.jpg

#83 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Caught this pestilential thing on the trip from Aruba to Panama last month.

IMG_4417.jpg

Damn BJ - NICE FISH!!!  Didja get him on board, or cut him loose in the water? 

#84 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Sol,  can you recomment a headboat in Fort Liquordale my brothers and I could go on that won't rob us??

#85 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

We're in a drought, but the weather has been awesome.

Here's a fly caught striper pushing 30 inches from Jan 10th

20140110_153627_zps61d3600f.jpg

And on January 13 (wife's b'day) , I'd have killed to have had a couple of fillets from one of those beasts.  To be roasted on a bed of fennel, blood olives, oranges and garlic.  Instead, I ended up with some flabby, farm-raised version of a sea bass that nobody has ever heard of.. 

#86 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Uh. . .I threw it back.

#87 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Did you hear about the gal that went fishing with 12 guys?

She came back with a Red Snapper!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users