24 replies to this topic

#1 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:05 AM

Ok,ok have your laugh now before you answer me. I guess the older one gets the more they need for an adrenalin rush. So I've sorta been tossing around a tri. Are those sea cart GP any good? I race in the San Francisco Bay, coastal races, and maybe Tahoe. Or can you tell me your thoughts and expertise on what kind of boat you think would work.. I am looking at about 30 feet +-.. And try not to give me to much shit. Thanks.

#2 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

Have you ever sailed a beach cat ?  The radical difference from sailing a 16-foot monohull dinghy to the classic Prindle 16 is what solidly addicted me to sailing some 30 years ago.

I own and enjoy sailing monohulls to this day,  but there is NOTHING like the speed rush of a good multi.  They are not magic,  and cannot sail "straight up wind" like I've heard some Koolaide-drinkers exhort,   and sometimes the quick-lurch motion can make a good old roll seem graceful - it all depends on the boat and conditions.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and try a couple of them - you might find you hate them,  or that you have a perma-grin and can't get enough.   I like the look of those Sea-Carts and there are some other great alternatives out there too - definately worth checking out !

#3 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

Have you ever sailed a beach cat ?  The radical difference from sailing a 16-foot monohull dinghy to the classic Prindle 16 is what solidly addicted me to sailing some 30 years ago.

I own and enjoy sailing monohulls to this day,  but there is NOTHING like the speed rush of a good multi.  They are not magic,  and cannot sail "straight up wind" like I've heard some Koolaide-drinkers exhort,   and sometimes the quick-lurch motion can make a good old roll seem graceful - it all depends on the boat and conditions.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and try a couple of them - you might find you hate them,  or that you have a perma-grin and can't get enough.   I like the look of those Sea-Carts and there are some other great alternatives out there too - definately worth checking out !

thanks .. I guess it's all about the big adrenalin rush.. Like 2 in the morning going around point conception .

#4 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

Welcome to the dark side.

I agree with the idea of trying before you buy.

Most multihull groups will make you welcome and take you out on various boats.

They love to get an half boat sailor and converting them.

#5 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Welcome to the dark side.I agree with the idea of trying before you buy.Most multihull groups will make you welcome and take you out on various boats.They love to get an half boat sailor and converting them.

do I need to bring my swim suit for the baptism? Again thanks for the info.

#6 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ok,ok have your laugh now before you answer me. I guess the older one gets the more they need for an adrenalin rush. So I've sorta been tossing around a tri. Are those sea cart GP any good? I race in the San Francisco Bay, coastal races, and maybe Tahoe. Or can you tell me your thoughts and expertise on what kind of boat you think would work.. I am looking at about 30 feet +-.. And try not to give me to much shit. Thanks.

Welcome to the freakshow, at least you won't need so many Christmas cards this year!

Seacarts are great, but they are pretty edgy and not really a good choice as 1st multihull - you could put yourself [Or the misses] off.

What do you want to do with the boat? pure racing, cruising, bit of both?  If you are racing, who will you be up against? When racing the Seacart, we always have someone on a stopwatch and binnoculars to time how far we are ahead on mark roundings and then work out the handicaps - far better to be in a bunch of boats about the same speed.

Can you afford boat yards for the winter or do you want to be able to trailer the boat home?

How many berths do you need?

#7 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

One Eyed.  PM me, and when the rig is back on my boat we'll go for a spin.

On the bay, there a couple Multi 23s (mine and another, which is available right now)

A OD fleet in the Farrier/Corsair 27 class

A few new Corsair Dash/24s

a few F/C 24s

A F25c or 2. 

a fleet of F/C 31s and a 37

Some big one-off trimarans

and a very healthy "uber beach cat" class. SL33, F40s, a couple of D Cats, etc.

And don't forget a full on swarm of Wetas. 

#8 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Welcome to the freakshow, at least you won't need so many Christmas cards this year!

Seacarts are great, but they are pretty edgy and not really a good choice as 1st multihull - you could put yourself [Or the misses] off.

What do you want to do with the boat? pure racing, cruising, bit of both?  If you are racing, who will you be up against? When racing the Seacart, we always have someone on a stopwatch and binnoculars to time how far we are ahead on mark roundings and then work out the handicaps - far better to be in a bunch of boats about the same speed.

Can you afford boat yards for the winter or do you want to be able to trailer the boat home?

How many berths do you need?
i have problems with cruising .. I always want to hang out more canvas than really needed. I primarily like to race. And in the SF bay we can sail all year. it would be nice to dry store . And as for competion.. Who ever else is sailing... I would like a boat that can go down the coast a few times a year, and be able to trailer home. I've even thought about a cat, but how well do they do in the NorCal ocean conditions. Thank you for allof your information.

#9 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

One Eyed.  PM me, and when the rig is back on my boat we'll go for a spin.

On the bay, there a couple Multi 23s (mine and another, which is available right now)
A OD fleet in the Farrier/Corsair 27 class
A few new Corsair Dash/24s
a few F/C 24s
A F25c or 2. 
a fleet of F/C 31s and a 37
Some big one-off trimarans
and a very healthy "uber beach cat" class. SL33, F40s, a couple of D Cats, etc.
And don't forget a full on swarm of Wetas. 

why thank you! I' ll bring the beer.

#10 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

If you're thinking about bombing down the coast - you'd need some length.  Maybe an older trimaran like a Condor 40, Newick of various sizes, etc.  They unfortunately don't trailer.

Longitudinal stability is provided by length, so the more the better.  (Pitchpoling off of Monterey would be a bad day)

#11 Bill Gibbs

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

We got a Formula 40 for sale in Long Beach, fast but you can't trailer her.

Over on the Multihull list there is a Condor 40 for sale at $45k I think. Much more comfortable, but not as fast.

Learning on a beach cat or Weta is a good idea for performance multi sailing, before getting something big.

#12 dacarls

dacarls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've had a superb trip offshore on Bill Gibbs' big cat "Afterburner".  One 52 foot hull thus riding the air is an adreniline-level raiser.   Guess how I know!  :D

Thanks again, Bill!

#13 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I was kinda looking at the 8.5 meter box rule cats that they have in New Zealand, but I don't really think they would be to good out of protected waters like norCal.

#14 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Look closely at a F/C31R (or 1D)  Should fit all your brief and more.

Even the F27 would do, but the extra size and speed of the 31R would make your smile bigger.

#15 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

right on OM ..... maybe even a C28R ......

Oh by the way.. I read somehwere that you like to leave too much sail up .... hmmm.. could get interesting ( expensive)

I bed that would be the first lesson you need to learn about multis ....

other than that ... no worries ....

if those F 22 would be more available, ready to ship.... that would be a small racy alternative, although down the coast ? 

Whats your budget ?

Thor

#16 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

One Eye - there is a boat that is local that can handle the ocean here.  Nice Pair.  Used to be located in Chicago.

D Cats, SL33, etc are optimized for inside the bay.  Some of the bigger race cats have protectors that shadow them.

The owner of Nice Pair might still be looking for a bay area partner.  

nicepair.jpg

#17 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

or check the classifieds for an optimized Farrier 32.  very nice boat.

Of course - you haven't let us know your budget so we're all just kicking things around.

#18 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

oh yah .. I forgot the F 32 which is for sale..... and a very good attractive pricetag to boot ... you cant go wrong with that one.

thor

#19 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Boy it is so nice to have totally positive responses about helping me. What a shock that people on sailing anarchy can do this. All I can say is I'm speechless, and thank all of you for the output. As for my budget.. Maybe 100,000 or less, a good used boat or if it worked a partnership. But it would have to be a great fit on both parts. I am a fast is fun junkie, having had an Express27 long ago.. But like Tim Allen said MORE POWER. Would kind of be looking at a trailerable boat in case I might want to do Tahoe, or a long down the coast race. 55 upwind is better than 6-7 . But if a non trailerable came up , wouldn't throw out the idea. Just adapt to the upwind haul.. I had talked to a designer in New Zealand about a box rule cat. But there would go my ocean racing , as Chris Mattews said .. "That thrill down my leg". Unless others might get interested in the 8.5 box rule, and start a class. Who knows.. But just looking, and seeing what just might come up.. I'm still looking for that frickin slot machine to pay off.. But thank you for giving me a little direction on more than 1 hull boats.

#20 1airborne

1airborne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Boy it is so nice to have totally positive responses about helping me. What a shock that people on sailing anarchy can do this. All I can say is I'm speechless, and thank all of you for the output. As for my budget.. Maybe 100,000 or less, a good used boat or if it worked a partnership. But it would have to be a great fit on both parts. I am a fast is fun junkie, having had an Express27 long ago.. But like Tim Allen said MORE POWER. Would kind of be looking at a trailerable boat in case I might want to do Tahoe, or a long down the coast race. 55 upwind is better than 6-7 . But if a non trailerable came up , wouldn't throw out the idea. Just adapt to the upwind haul.. I had talked to a designer in New Zealand about a box rule cat. But there would go my ocean racing , as Chris Mattews said .. "That thrill down my leg". Unless others might get interested in the 8.5 box rule, and start a class. Who knows.. But just looking, and seeing what just might come up.. I'm still looking for that frickin slot machine to pay off.. But thank you for giving me a little direction on more than 1 hull boats.

There is an all carbon f-22 that a guy is selling or looking for a partner in. Just google f-22 for sale. I also think he is in the down under land.

1airborne

#21 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

There is an all carbon f-22 that a guy is selling or looking for a partner in. Just google f-22 for sale. I also think he is in the down under land.

1airborne
thanks.. I'm in the up above. And sail mostly in the SFBay.. But thanks ... Ill still check it out.

#22 bhyde

bhyde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:F-24II

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Jack,

Had an Express 27 also and now I have the F-24II over at RYC. The E27 is a great boat and probably one of my favorite monos, but the F24II, even being the least 'powered up' of the corsair family, will sail circles around it. It is by far one of the easiest boats to sail and never needs more than two competent sailors to handle properly. As other people have suggested, an F27/28 or F31 would be a great choice if offshore sailing is a requirement. They too need only two to sail or three is max breeze racing conditions. I've raced many times with Multihuller on his F-27 in big breeze and can tell you they are rock solid. They are truly great boats, and more importantly, they are easy to own. 

Gets some rides on the whole family (24's, Sprints, F-27/28/31's) and you'll quickly see which boat best fits your need. 

#23 Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

OEJ, I sail smaller multis and used to love racing the ULDB's.  The Express were really hard to compete with on the ocean compared to the Olson I sailed.  The challenge was you had to go uphill for a long time to enjoy the big downhill -- unless you were smart enough just to turn left out the gate and have someone else bring the trailer.  "Gentlemen never go to weather."

One of the things I love about that the cats (and tris) is there isn't much of an upwind slog anymore.   The boats go fast upwind and are much more comfortable and dry.  Heck, we are hitting 11-12 knots regularly upwind with pretty tight angles on the small cats these days.  What are the bigger boats doing?  If you were to get a non trailerable, you wouldn't do 55mph upwind, but you'd still be doing a lot better than most others.

#24 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

famous australian multi

sailed across from oz to nz i think

http://www.trademe.c...n-582474767.htm

a top 8.5

http://www.trademe.c...n-593140751.htm

borderline been sold?

#25 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

famous australian multi

sailed across from oz to nz i think

http://www.trademe.c...n-582474767.htm

a top 8.5

http://www.trademe.c...n-593140751.htm

borderline been sold?

i thought dirty deeds was sold. A couple of years ago I had been talking to the owner. He designed and built that boat. From what I read it pretty well cleaned everybody's clock. . I was thinking about getting one from him. But that was a while ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users