#1 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:I WANNA GO FAST

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

My son has sailed on my J 29 for quite some time and has talked about wanting his own boat.  He really like the lines of the J 22.  Would the J 22 work as a weekender for a couple.  We have looked at a J 24 and he just does not like the lines as well.  Neither of us have been in a J 22 and he is not a real big guy and would like a place to sleep and cruise with his girlfriend.  

Thanks  

#2 thebigdirty

thebigdirty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

| would like a place to sleep and cruise with his girlfriend.  

Cruise...Sleep...J22.
Keep looking. 

#3 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

If not a J 22 suggestions, there might be something I had not thought of out there.

#4 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

The J/22 does have great lines and it would be a great first boat.   It is not a great boat to sleep on though.   Have him get in the "forward berths" and find out for himself.   I am sure some have camped out on a J/22.  It is possible, but not comfortable.   It might be possible to lengthen the forward berths with some plywood between the bulkhead sides and the mast support post back into the bench area if you wanted to get creative.

#5 Scottydog1

Scottydog1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

My first and last boat was/is a j/22. I crawled in and slept in the first one a few times years ago with a portapotty. Pretty rough going though. Woudn't do it today. I day sail/race my current one.Great fun but not a cruiser. If  he wants a pocket cruiser there are quite a few out there. Catalina 22 comes to mind.

#6 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Catalina 22 won't work for him, but the Capri 22 would work quite well and he likes that.  I think he was hoping to follow in my footsteps with a J Boat.    

#7 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,374 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

or maybe an S2 7.9? nice little boat with accommodations

#8 X24R

X24R

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

you can sleep in one if you are drunk enough and s----w in one if you are horny enough

#9 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

+1 on the S2 7.9

#10 4deckgye

4deckgye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

The J/22 is an awesome, awesome boat... if you want to race / daysail her.

If your intention is to cruise / weekend, there are way better options out there.  

J/22: need a lift to get her in the water

Capri / Catalina: use a ramp with a swing keel, more comfortable down below, can wet sail her without loosing value,

Overnighting in a J/22, although is fun at first, gets cramped and looses its appeal.

If he likes the lines on a J/22, try a J/27 (just a bigger version of the J/22)

#11 Scottydog1

Scottydog1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I ramp launch my j/22 with a 40' rope, but it's my least favorite aspect of the boat. A swing keel capri would work, although I'm not familiar with interior accomodations.

Yea a bigger J boat sounds perfect if he has the $$.

#12 peculier

peculier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

+1 on the Capri 22. Those are well-built, well-balanced boats and have surprisingly roomy cabins and cockpits. I owned a Capri 25 for years and it was a very reliable, easy to sail boat.

#13 opa1

opa1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Sailing

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

First and foremost, the J22 is a really great sailboat.  Main and Jib, easy to tack, moves through the water really smoothly, stable, and on and on and on.  So let's see.  I have a couple of questions, with opinions.

#1.  Do you want to race the boat?  If yes, then doesn't matter if OD or PHRF, the boat is a good competitor, and in most conditions.

#2.  Do you want a boat that is inexpensive to operate?  At all competitive levels, the answer is yes.  Sails are small and great used sails are available for those on a budget.

#3.  Do you sleep more than 8 hours straight?  If the answer is yes, then the J22 will not suffice.  If yes, then the J22 will be okay.  Another consideration is how tall is the son.  More than 6 feet, then maybe the V Berth might be a bit short.  Lengthening the V Berth is an option, though not recommended. 

#4.  Do you require complicated meals while cruising?  If yes, then the J22 is not for you.  If yes, then you need a bigger (and more expensive in all ways) boat.

#5.  Do you require an enclosed head?  Then buy an RV and go camping, because an enclosed head is a luxury, not a necessity.

#6.  And here's the big deal.  If the girlfriend doesn't like a J22, then one has to consider trading her in on a new model. 

Buy the J22, go sailing, have a great time.  The son won't regret it.  The girlfriend, however, is another matter.  If that is the case, then please refer to #6 above.

#14 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have  a J22 and wouldn't want to overnight on her, however, I am 64 years old. If I had an Alerion 28 or a Harbor 25, I would definitely overnight and weekend. But they're a lot of money.

When I was in my 20's, my wife and I would frequently overnight or weekend on our Alberg Typhoon (18-foot, full keel). It was very tight below, had a marine head (not enclosed), no galley, no tanks, but we had great times. We would bring a cooler, a one-burner camp stove, camp lantern, and a water jug. Compared to it, the J22 is roomy.

If your son is young and adventurous, he will probably love it. Plus you can't beat the J22 for all around sailing. I would recommend a porta-potty, a cockpit awning, and perhaps a foredeck hatch for ventilation below, although this might be a little radical.

The fixed keel Capri 22 isn't a bad choice. It has decent sailing characteristics and has more comforts than a J22.

#15 Will

Will

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:J/22, Lightning, Laser, J/105

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

The J/22 has a great v-birth.  I am 6'1", 240lb and I sleep fine up there.  We have done many weekenders on the J/22 with 2 adults, sometimes a dog.  This is probably one of the best first boat choices your son can make.  Great class, lots of regatta's, fine sailing boat, cheap to buy and maintain, very stable and eas to sail.  Like I said, PERFECT!

#16 J29Guy

J29Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

My son is 5'7 I am not sure how he got the short end of the stick my brother  and  I are both 6'1 and he learned how to sail on our 1st boat a Hunter 23.  I think were just going to need to get in one.

Thanks  

#17 Bull City

Bull City

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:monthly Social Security check, oil painting, martinis

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

J29Guy,

I would love to hear how this turns out. Please update us.

#18 Scottydog1

Scottydog1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

My son is 5'7 I am not sure how he got the short end of the stick my brother  and  I are both 6'1 and he learned how to sail on our 1st boat a Hunter 23.  I think were just going to need to get in one.

Thanks  

Thinking back on it I was 30 years old when I bought my first boat, a new j/22. I straight away put a v-berth cushion in it, and didn't think anything at all about sleeping in the boat with a cooler, picnic food and beer. I'm your son's size. 20 years later I bought another one. Guess that says something. Warning-don't let him go out for a test sail in the 22, he won't want anything else. 

#19 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

hmm.. perhaps the J27? that has nice lines and a bit of room.

#20 b green

b green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

We have a race to santa Cruz island and the j22 has won twice against all comers. I sleep in the fore peak , crew has a power boat ( RC) .im 6'2" and its tight but doable thermarest air mattress sheet and bag, done deal....it's only one night a year, great boat, I love my 708

#21 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

My son is 5'7 I am not sure how he got the short end of the stick my brother and I are both 6'1 and he learned how to sail on our 1st boat a Hunter 23. I think were just going to need to get in one.

Thanks

How tall is your mailman??

Seriously... The J-22 has a ton of virtues and sleeping accomodations is not one of those. I put a front hatch in #325 for Shirley and she slept in her J-22 regularly.

But.

That is not what makes a J-22 a great choice. ( that list is above)

I fear a J-22 owned by a boyfriend who loves to overnight on it might turn his lovely girlfriend off to sailing altogether and she then wouldn't get to see how absolutley fun J-22s are for women. Most of the lines are fine for "girl power" in all conditions and the exception is the spinnaker guy which can be put on a winch anyway....and nobody reaches with chutes anymore anyway...which I think is totally dumbing down the game and causing people to leave. The excitement of a reach to reach gybe in 20 plus is one of the thrills of sailing that brings people back again and again and again...crashing or succeeding doesn't matter. The excitement and fear of wondering is the hoot.

Two to one on the jib sheets makes them quite easy to trim and the winches are handy.

Class rules make four girl teams quite competitive and three girls and a big guy works really well too.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense to me to sail the J-22 to a park and then use the campground in that park than to sleep on the boat.

or just go home or to a motel for the night....fun weekends stop when the fun stops...

Sleeping on the water is not for everybody and if sleeping is their primary interest in having a floating toy, I am not so certain I would even always recommend a sailboat. and especially not a sailboat with a closed in bow with no airflow..

More than anything?? Test ride Test ride TEST RIIIIIDDDDESSSSS.

I don't know why the hell people insist on buying sailboats without first trying them out .

There are marinas full of toys people bought because they "lovesd the look"

dont!!!

If you can get to Texas, and you are serious about asking very nicely, you can probably mooch a J-22 at AYC or RCYC just to see if you love it.

#22 Mariner2442

Mariner2442

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

The J22 is probably the best sailing boats I have ever sailed on, and that list is not a small one. I have raced them in SF bay when it is blowing 28kts and on tiny inland lakes lucky if the gust is over 5. The boat is always competitive. That said, the boat was built for racing. It has few luxuries and is rather cramped inside. I would not think twice about overnighting in one, but I am 27 and 5'5" and I dont sail to overnight, I overnight to sail. 

If boat camping is a primary purpose for this boat, look elsewhere. An S2, merit 22, capri 22, moore 24, express 27, olson 30, hobie 33, antrim 27 are all good performing boats with space inside. It really depends on where he is going, how long, and what kind of sailing he is doing. Does he ramp launch? will he be stepping the mast regularly? is he racing? OD or PHRF? What is the tow vehicle? What are the winds like? Will the boat be dry stored? What is the budget? 

Bottom line. The J22 is an amazing boat, it is one of the best all-around sailors I know. That said, it is not perfect for everything and there might be a better boat out there for his particular situation. Let us know where he goes with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users