New Sailing Flick... Any of our Euro Cousins see it Yet?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 vibroman

vibroman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Not here till october ...Enquiring minds want to Know

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/

#2 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Well it has one actor and  10 Executive Producers, must be great!

#3 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

One Actor....Some guy named Robert Redford.

Standing Ovation at Cannes on 5/23/13  Thursday

Looks like it is being set up for a possible Oscar with an October release date

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22641284

Videos

http://www.youtube.c...ery=all is lost

LA Times Review

http://www.latimes.c...0,7336377.story

#4 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Interesting, the title of that movie could easily be applied to the current Americas Circus Cup cycle.

#5 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Single - handed sailing, sailing with my kids, open water swimming

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Robert Redford! Jeremiah Johnson. The Sting, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Robert Redford in a sailing movie? No brainier. I would have invested in that one. Hope it's good.

#6 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

It would have to have some good footage if this bit from the BBC is true...

"I believe in the value of silence in film,'' Redford told reporters about the movie, which features only a few lines of voiceover.

#7 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

from Geo Garage Marine Edition (or maybe Time)

<media>

A man sails the Indian Ocean alone on his 37-foot yacht, 1700 nautical miles from the Sumatra Straits.

He is awoken one morning by a crash: a metal container off a cargo ship has struck his boat, perforating and flooding it, disabling all communication.

The man fights resourcefully to repair the damage and battle the elements: blistering sun, a violent storm.

After eight debilitating days, with only a half-day’s worth of rations left and virtually no hope for rescue, it seems that all is lost.
J.C. Chandor’s All Is Lost strips the conventional action movie to its essentials.

One confined setting.

Virtually no dialogue.

And a man with only the sailing skills and self-determination to make a go of survival.

His boat is called the Virginia Jean, but he is the man with no name, no knowable past, no loved ones nor enemies back home to give his quest familiar emotional moorings.

In a way, Chandor set himself and his audience the same restrictions as his protagonist.
They would discover who the man is by what he can do.

And by who plays him: Robert Redford.

All Is Lost, which had its world premiere at Cannes before opening in U.S. theaters this October, stocks its 105 minutes with enough seafaring challenges and adventure to keep mainstream audiences fascinated, fraught and rooting for the person identified in the closing credits as “Our Man.”

Yet it is also an arguably unique exercise in storytelling: both a work of cinematic innovation and a thrilling demonstration of the ancient maxim that action is character.

Other films about a man alone on the water look positively profligate by comparison.

Spencer Tracy played a Cuban fisherman in the 1958 The Old Man and the Sea, but he was on land with others at the beginning and the end.

In 1963, Japanese director Kon Ichikawa retold the true story of a man who sailed from Osaka to San Francisco in Alone on the Pacific; there, flashbacks provided clues to his reasons for attempting this feat.

Most recently, Ang Lee’s Life of Pi famously put a teenage boy on a raft in the Pacific, after 40 minutes of exposition about his family and the tiger who would accompany him.

All Is Lost dispenses with land, friends, flashbacks and tigers.

Our Man doesn’t talk to himself, let alone to a volleyball.

He has his own company; that must be enough.

And because he is played by Redford, it is more than enough.

#8 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well no wonder he gets into trouble, that clip clearly shows an offset companionway.

#9 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

-a movie-

A man sails the Indian Ocean alone on his 37-foot yacht, 1700 nautical miles from the Sumatra Straits.

He is awoken one morning by a crash: a metal container off a cargo ship has struck his boat, perforating and flooding it, disabling all communication.

... ...

A container might puncture a hull but I'd be extremely surprised if it "perforated" it.

The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. - M. Twain

FB- Doug

#10 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well no wonder he gets into trouble, that clip clearly shows an offset companionway.

I thought his problem was tightening a VHF connector with an adjustable wrench.

#11 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Damn if that doesn't look like my boat from above.

#12 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

http://www.sailingwo...?src=SOC&dom=fb

#13 George Hackett

George Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

hmmm.  first thought was, couldn't they have used a better looking boat?  but then hey, i guess most people wouldn't know what a better looking boat would be.  also, this boat is typical of those sailng in retirement mode.  ok.  now let's see holywood make a racing film not using multihulls?

#14 ColinG

ColinG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

"SOS call"??? What happened to "mayday"?

#15 Oronoco

Oronoco

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

No EPIRB?

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,164 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Watched the pre-view, won't be bothering to watch.................unless its just to see how many mistakes they made in the filming of it.

#17 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Watched the pre-view, won't be bothering to watch.................unless its just to see how many mistakes they made in the filming of it.

need to make the drinking game for...     1 sip for every time he sticks his head down the companionway..  etc...

#18 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

OK, this movie opens in limited release this weekend (probably only NYC and LA).

From The Atlantic

Hollywood's Scariest New Villain: Random, Floating Junk
Space debris and abandoned shipping containers threaten lives in Gravity and All Is Lost, but these films caution against leaving society—and all its man-made refuse—behind.

Also, some more coverage and clips at a site one is not supposed to mention:    http://bit.ly/16fZ40O

#19 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

Full credits here, there is no sailing or offshore consultant.   So, I guess the writer/director is responsible for any non-real sailing stuff.

They should have called ESTAR, I'm sure he could have helped them -- or several of our SHTP vets who have some fairly hairy stories.

#20 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

PMSL

#21 CrushDigital

CrushDigital

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

I went to the New York Film Festival premier of the movie. Both myself and the person I went to see it with agreed it was a very good film and I'm certainly glad to have had the opportunity to see it, and Redford will almost certainly get an Oscar norm for it, but it was one of those movies that now that we've seen it we will likely never turn back to watch it again.

FYI, by our count there were thirteen words spoken in the whole damn movie, and a dozen of those we're the SOS call.

In summary, brilliantly acted but not one I see myself revisiting.

#22 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cruising, racing sailboats, bbq & cervezas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

the boat used in the film is sitting in a boat yard near Gardena, looks like the mast is a bit shorter than it should be. Guess there was a large hole in the side as as well but is fixed now, Pick it up now for cheap !

#23 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

"SOS call"??? What happened to "mayday"?

That's what I thought looking at the trailer. Who uses S.O.S. anyway? PAN-PAN in that situation or if he was stepping "up" into liferaft or certainly close to it for a MAY DAY. Those are the international signals used by anyone at sea right?

Not to be nit-picking but I hope it works. There are great stories/books like that. Like "Adrift" etc. 76 days lost at sea; in a liferaft. Maybe the picture was partly based of that true adventure.

I look forward to seeing it.   

#24 Mr. Andersen

Mr. Andersen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Redford is a Hollywood nut. He publically stated anyone who disagrees with Obama, the POTUS, is Racist.

Redford has lived in the Hollywood bubble too long. Even though I'd like to see a saililng movie, I'll not bother with giving a share of my movie admission to him.

On the other hand "Captain Phillips" was pretty good. I like it up to the point they all got in the life boat.

#25 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Redford is a Hollywood nut. He publically stated anyone who disagrees with Obama, the POTUS, is Racist.

Redford has lived in the Hollywood bubble too long. Even though I'd like to see a saililng movie, I'll not bother with giving a share of my movie admission to him.

On the other hand "Captain Phillips" was pretty good. I like it up to the point they all got in the life boat.

BTW he does not live in LA one of the very few big time Hollywood heavy weights who doesn't live in LA and having met him locally and unintentionally my experience mirrors what others have noted. He is actually one of the most grounded normal Hollywood types you might ever cross paths with. That is even if you realize who he is when you do cross paths with him.

I've been told that he is a sailor and recall hearing long before this movie came out that he wanted to see if he could come up with a good story ie movie that delt with one of the big fears all sailors have - hitting a UFO and facing some serious decision making with every option having a pretty grim outcome. EPIRB would make the movie pointless might as well just do a documentary on a CG rescue. AKA the loss of a PAC CUP boat sailing home - owners kid calls dad on the SAT phone tells him whale holed the boat - get CG on the line round up a pick up plan then take pictures of the boat going down while waiting for your ride home. Exciting yes but not enough material to make a Feature Film out of it.

#26 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Frostbite Racing, Abstract Painting, Oil Changes, Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sealed bulk-heads.

(but then there would be no movie) 

#27 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

the boat used in the film is sitting in a boat yard near Gardena, looks like the mast is a bit shorter than it should be. Guess there was a large hole in the side as as well but is fixed now, Pick it up now for cheap !

They apparently used three boats.  Cal 43's I believe (they have the offset companionway).  And had to make sure they all looked the same.  One was taken to Mexico and used in the big ass tank that the Titanic was filmed in for exterior foul weather shots.  One got the hole punched in it.  One for mostly interior shots.

TOG

#28 DTH

DTH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

Saw it last week in Canada. Pretty good for a sailing movie - does not make many of the silly errors you see in most sailing movies (boats that mysteriously change tacks, wind from one direction, waves from the other, etc etc)
They used 3 Cal 39s to make it - looks to me like they sunk one.

#29 Mr. Andersen

Mr. Andersen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

BTW he does not live in LA one of the very few big time Hollywood heavy weights who doesn't live in LA and having met him locally and unintentionally my experience mirrors what others have noted. He is actually one of the most grounded normal Hollywood types you might ever cross paths with. That is even if you realize who he is when you do cross paths with him.

I've been told that he is a sailor and recall hearing long before this movie came out that he wanted to see if he could come up with a good story ie movie that delt with one of the big fears all sailors have - hitting a UFO and facing some serious decision making with every option having a pretty grim outcome. EPIRB would make the movie pointless might as well just do a documentary on a CG rescue. AKA the loss of a PAC CUP boat sailing home - owners kid calls dad on the SAT phone tells him whale holed the boat - get CG on the line round up a pick up plan then take pictures of the boat going down while waiting for your ride home. Exciting yes but not enough material to make a Feature Film out of it.

Doesn't matter where he lives, He and many many others are over paid for their craft. That is the Hollywood Bubble.

#30 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Doesn't matter where he lives, He and many many others are over paid for their craft. That is the Hollywood Bubble.

LOL overpaid by who's standard? I know product managers in Silicon Valley who make more money than Redford does.

#31 J120fan

J120fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

No EPIRB?

+1

#32 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

I just got back from the flick.  I won't give out any spoilers.  I spent most of the movie thinking about all the things he did wrong as a sailor in trouble.   Great product placement for West Marine boathooks, West System Epoxy and Lipton Sidekicks!

#33 born2sail

born2sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

We saw the movie tonight. The boat is not a Cal 43. The movie is worth seeing. Sailors will enjoy critiquing the flick. There is much worth discussing. Because this is opening weekend, I don't want to say anything more. Help make the movie a success so maybe more sailing movies will be made.

#34 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

You couldn't get ten sailors, sitting in the same dark room, to agree on how to unscrew the dark lightbulb.

Of course we can pick at the movie. I'd be surprised if it passed our nitpicky opinions and judgements.

#35 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

straight to DVD....er sorry, nett torrent?

#36 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Saw it yesterday, pretty packed theater for a midday showing at the local yuppie film shop. 

Worth seeing, seamanship seems, um. You be the judge. Overall a quality flick.

#37 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

As opposed to, say, baseball and football players? Lobbyists? CEOs? 

BTW, although this is better served in PA, what he *really* said was that some people were only interested in destroying Obama's presidency, and that some of *those* people are motivated by racism. Considering that Boehner himself is on the record about the first half of that, and considering that racism is alive and well in the US, Redford was probably not wrong about the second part of his contention.

That said, looking forward to seeing the movie, although I have qualms about letting my wife see it if we are ever going to shove off the dock for an extended cruise.

#38 andrewmc

andrewmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Diving

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

it seems its a sailing season as on the 6th November - En Solitaire is released - be interesting to see where it ends up being shown

cluzet (my wife thinks is the french dustin hoffman), canet (little white lies, tell no one etc with the smoking hot but apparently slightly bonkers cant engage brain before mouth wife) and the bonus is with no sub-titles you can pick apart the technical bits and speed up through the drama

http://www.allocine....ilm=205978.html

#39 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,659 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm off to see it tonight at the one theatre in Michigan screening it.  Look for an over-verbose review tomorrow morning.

#40 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

I saw the trailer a month or so ago. Hadn't heard about the movie before that. My initial reaction was Jeremiah Johnson remake with Indian Ocean playing the parts of snow and Indians (native Americans) from the original.
Sure felt like I had seen it before.
Jeremiah Johnson (1972ish) is a good film, maybe 200 words in it though.

#41 nuttin honey

nuttin honey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Don't stop me. I am about to tear my eyes out with a marlin spike. Title says it all -- if u stay thru this movie, All is Lost. Please don't go and see it

#42 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,659 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:13 AM

quite a few singlehander/couples would do just what this guy did.  interesting movie.  

review later

#43 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm off to see it tonight at the one theatre in Michigan screening it.  Look for an over-verbose review tomorrow morning.

Did you at least hide a gopro inside a funny hat?  :ph34r:

#44 Oronoco

Oronoco

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

We saw the movie tonight. The boat is not a Cal 43. The movie is worth seeing. Sailors will enjoy critiquing the flick. There is much worth discussing. Because this is opening weekend, I don't want to say anything more. Help make the movie a success so maybe more sailing movies will be made.

its a Cal 39, 3 were used in the film

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users