14 replies to this topic

#1 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Story is there was a problem with the neighbor's inverter. Running gear on his boat and those to either side of him damaged. This is my client's prop:

1loekken5.jpg

2loekken5.jpg

3loekken5.jpg

#2 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Holy shitt! Props ain't supposed to look like that. What about the rudder shaft and prop strut!? Ferkin hot hot water man...
Hope your client gets a fat check from the neighbor.

#3 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

No other damage found.

#4 ؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

؏ΩӁقڝӃڜ Җ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Skinfittings. Keelbolts. 

#5 Pinching

Pinching

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

That can't be good to dive in...

#6 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

That can't be good to dive in...

The diver who discovered the problem could tell there was juice in the water, but he wasn't hurt. But offending boat had been hauled before I got involved.

#7 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

This will give you an idea of how much metal has actually been lost:

martecsidebyside.png

#8 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Guy that got sparked was one lucky diver. That boat needs some HELP!!

#9 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,605 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Two things
1. You guys need to get yourselves some sort of electrical sensing device you can dangle on the water both before and during your hull cleaning jobs. Such a device would be inexpensive to build and death is the sooner or later alternative.

I have a prop like that on my too good to toss and not good enough to sell as as new shelf and would love to have some spending money instead.
If you want a nice used replacement and mine is the right one we could all be happy guys

Use the contact for the regatta on my signature if you want to send me a description of what you need

#10 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

did you get to scoop up all the floating fish?

#11 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Two things
1. You guys need to get yourselves some sort of electrical sensing device you can dangle on the water both before and during your hull cleaning jobs. Such a device would be inexpensive to build and death is the sooner or later alternative.

While that is certainly not a bad idea, to my knowledge, no hull cleaner working in a saltwater marina in California has ever been killed or seriously injured by electricity, and we are talking about many, many millions of man-hours in the water. The industry has an excellent safety record.

#12 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I once had a customer who owned an old aluminum IOR warhorse. He was an electrical engineer, and had ammeters wired up all over the place. He used to walk the docks on the weekends with this homemade rig to see how much current other boats were pumping into the water. The great majority of owners that he talked to had no idea what was going on, but once informed were pretty good about fixing it.

He was real nice about it, and he would help them redsesign their systems to eliminate the leakage. He'd even agree to do most of the work himself if necessary. I know for a fact that he rewired half a dozen boats on his dock alone.

I asked him once about the danger to sea life or swimmers and divers, and he said the amounts were negligible; not enough to hurt someone, but enough to turn an unprotected aluminum hull into powder over the course of a year or two.

#13 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I won't go into a long drawn out post but diving in salt water with stray current is far far less dangerous then doing the same in fresh water.

#14 CruiserJim

CruiserJim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, road cycling, reading.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, as I understand it, freshwater is a major problem as the human body is a better conductor than FW.  Salt water is a good enough conductor that normally not much current will pass thru a swimmer.

I have a galvanic isolator installed on my boat, but it is designed to stop small current, not major current, so it might not have helped in this case. 

#15 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,605 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Two things

While that is certainly not a bad idea, to my knowledge, no hull cleaner working in a saltwater marina in California has ever been killed or seriously injured by electricity, and we are talking about many, many millions of man-hours in the water. The industry has an excellent safety record. 

As mentioned above. it is different in our pristine lake waters. I can name a couple dearly departed and neither reached a thirtieth birthday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users