RUSH finally into the R&R Hall of Lame....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Recently watched the 2013 Hall of Lame introduction-replay on HBO.    Great intro speech by Alex.... nothing but "Blah, blah, blah"...    I was surprised by Neil's gratitude at the "honor".... WTF.

Foo Fighters did a respectfully playful 2012, with Rush following   No other acts on these intro-shows come close;  Heart was pretty d-mn good.   Nancy Wilson always gives me shivers.

Per Dave Grohl... "When did Rush become cool ?"

#2 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Does this mean that they'll be immortal for more than a limited time?

#3 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,925 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

One time I heard a Rush tune on the radio and thought I ought to get some of that music for my car.
It turned out that was the only tune I liked and it was split in the middle by the changeover on the eight track

Ah yes. The Craig Powerplay am /fm sterio with eight track player.
It had a newfangled security feature. If you crawled under the steering wheel and laid yourself down in the mud and slush on the floor, you could pull the connecting plugs apart ( or break the fucking cheap plastic) unscrew the knurled knobs on the side of the metal mount and in about five minutes you could walk off with a filthy back on your nice winter coat carrying a ten pound shitty radio unit that was so powerless you couldn't hear it outside the car to amuse yourself while rigging your Fireball .... Nope... not even with all the windows rolled down ,
But it could suck the battery in a Celica dead in about twenty minutes....
So it was wise to park on a hill so you could coast off and start the car.

And that Celica?? Had that fucking 1974 safety feature where if someone was sitting in either front seat without a seatbelt on the car would not run.

Not only did that mean you had to fasten the seatbelt across a bag of groceries
But

If you started the car whose battery was dead by by pushing it and jumped in to drive it without yanking out enough seat belt as you dove past the fucker would immediately die.

And if your passenger had decided to lift his butt rather than fasten the seat belt and wasn't wearing it, and you stalled out on the railroad tracks, you had to remember he did that, even though both of you were stoned off your asses, and get him to lift his fucking ass again so you could get started and drive off the train tracks in time
Which wasn't really all that important as your passenger would jump the fuck out of the car and the empty seat would allow the ignition to work,

Those tracks out on West High street extension were so damned rough the car would bottom out at speed so the combination of driving very slowly and the bumps and not setting down your beer or pipe and shifting to first before doing do often led to a stall.

Thanks for the memories Rush

#4 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Recently watched the 2013 Hall of Lame introduction-replay on HBO.    Great intro speech by Alex.... nothing but "Blah, blah, blah"...    I was surprised by Neil's gratitude at the "honor".... WTF.

Foo Fighters did a respectfully playful 2012, with Rush following   No other acts on these intro-shows come close;  Heart was pretty d-mn good.   Nancy Wilson always gives me shivers.

Per Dave Grohl... "When did Rush become cool ?"

Good mother of God does Rush suck, along with everything they stand for.

The Dave Grohl 2112 intro was absolutely hilarious though.  I don't think the boys picked up on the fact that they were being laughed.

What a shame.  Neil Peart is such a talented drummer, it's ridiculous.  But his songwriting skills are about as good as Hot Rod's boatbuilding skills.

#5 Owen

Owen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Braaavo, Gouv.  Between that story and the new guy reporting on Hot "and then the trailer hitch broke" Rod, this place is having a funny weekend.

Dave Grohl is a crass, commercial, hilarious and talented smart bastard.  Courtney may have nailed it before going over to the dark side.  

#6 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Limbaugh?????

I didn't even know he could sing.

#7 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist