Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

http://www.f-boat.co.../F-33-2013.html

#2 David Saint

David Saint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

Maybe in six more years there will an actual production boat. Meanwhile where are the other authorized Farrier builders who were touted over the past six years?

The continual production of vapor ware must be difficult while devoting so much energy to trashing the company actually producing and standing behind the boats we love to sail.

Flame away, I will be sailing.

#3 gthomas72

gthomas72

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

http://www.multihull...-in-production/

The factory was bare two months ago when my F-85SR was launched.

Looks like production to me.

#4 kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

Interesting - anyone figured out what they cost as compared to the Corsair 31/Cruze etc?

#5 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

The production F-22 had taken most of the focus and attention the past year, but alongside I have also been quietly working on a new version of the F-33, as such a boat has been well overdue.

First looked at using the original F-33 molds but decided there were too many improvements that could be made, so the hull lines were started from scratch again. However, we have been able to use the existing F-32 beams (as being manufactured by Farrier Marine), which were an improvement over the original F-33 third generation beams, and  these have cut development time considerably.

It has been quite a bit of work that I could have done without, but there is just nothing really new out there any more for F-boat enthusiasts who would like to move up. So it became a design that just had to be done for those that want a large truly modern 'state of the art' folding Farrier production design.

As with the original F-33, it is all epoxy vacuum bagged construction, so it will be very light, but unlike the original F-33 there will be a reduced beam legally trailerable version. And just look at the standard of finish they are able to achieve on their bigger F-44SC:

Attached File  F-44SCMarinaSideView-1.jpg   79.62K   90 downloads

Plus also at  http://www.f-boat.co...roduction2.html

The F-33 also comes with many of the latest features as developed for the F-22, and four have now been sold, so if interested don't tarry.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work....

#6 kbcH20

kbcH20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

Very sweet!  I need to start saving up my allowance...

#7 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Sorry Ian the old fax machine cut the bottom off the numbers on the order I sent you last year, that was F-33, not 22!!

(I thought it was a good deal and put it down to a strong aussie dollar) :D

#8 Lighthouse

Lighthouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sorry Ian the old fax machine cut the bottom off the numbers on the order I sent you last year, that was F-33, not 22!!

(I thought it was a good deal and put it down to a strong aussie dollar) :D

nice 1     :)

#9 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Nice.  Got my Powerball tix.

#10 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

Latest F-33 construction photo:

Attached File  F-33Interior.jpg   94.27K   65 downloads

Shows the F-33 interior (unfinished) with the offset centerboard case in position. The F-33X will be wider/roomier again.

More at:

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work....

#11 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Just googled and read about offset centerboards.  Can you speak to how you make sure the centerboard does not disturb the water flowing over the rudder?

Thanks.

And great work, Ian!

#12 LMI

LMI

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:cruising

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

How much are we talking for a fully kitted F334R?

#13 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Just googled and read about offset centerboards.  Can you speak to how you make sure the centerboard does not disturb the water flowing over the rudder?

I have been using such offset centerboards since 1976, and have never seen any sign of disturbance to the rudder. I guess you might see something if the board was only offset a few inches, but it is well out to the side and well clear of the rudder. There is also no change to the helm, from tack to tack - it feels the same on both sides.

Only difference would be the boat has to sail slightly better on one tack compared to the other, as the board will be slightly deeper on one side. But I have never really noticed this, and it usually seems just the same.

The big advantage of course is the extra room or a better interior layout for many, with a much larger table possible right in the middle, plus a board that will kick back in shallow water.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#14 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

You need to contact Multihulls Direct for the full Price List

http://www.multihullsdirect.com

#15 Lighthouse

Lighthouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'd guess at 100+m lengh these trimarans get really expensive...

#16 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

Just received the latest photo of F-33 production line in Subic Bay:

Attached File  F-33s-SubicBay.jpg   176.79K   68 downloads

Meanwhile we are very busy here making the first F-33 beams (among other things), with some beam tops awaiting assembly being shown below:

Attached File  F-33Beams.jpg   119.29K   67 downloads

The first beam sets will be shipped out to the Philippines early next month.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#17 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Ian,

so you're still building the foils and folding systems bits for them then? Also any plans to license other builders?

#18 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

Ian,

How does the interior size compare to the F36 that I wrote the Multihulls Magazine article about?  The quoted headroom looks comparable, and it only looks a bit skinnier (even the F33x) in looking at the interior layout.  Headroom is getting more important to me as my tortured back gets older :)

She's a beauty - thanks for your hard work.  

The big advantage of course is the extra room or a better interior layout for many, with a much larger table possible right in the middle, plus a board that will kick back in shallow water.

Ian Farrier

#19 THOR

THOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Location:brown water white knuckle racing, former Member Number 1957

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Headroom should be the same as mine..... PLENTY .... Mine is the wide version ... maybe even a little wider than the new wide version...but not hundert percent sure .....got a lot more carbon in mine though for sure :-)

Best Thor

#20 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Ian,

so you're still building the foils and folding systems bits for them then? Also any plans to license other builders?

We are building all the beams, plus  the high aspect F-32SR rudder is available from us as an option.  Everything else is built by Multihulls Direct who is the only builder. No plans will be available, other than those needed to assemble the kit versionss, and these will be very extensive as per usual.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs That Work....

#21 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Ian,

How does the interior size compare to the F36 that I wrote the Multihulls Magazine article about?  The quoted headroom looks comparable, and it only looks a bit skinnier (even the F33x) in looking at the interior layout.  Headroom is getting more important to me as my tortured back gets older :)

The F-36 is a dedicated ocean going boat, that does not fold, and thus less subject to constraints like legally trailerable beam etc. (when folded), so it is much bigger inside. Width across widest point in the F-36 main cabin is 2.95m (9' 8") whereas it is 2.79m (9' 2") on the F-33X, and 2.4m (7' 10") on the F-33 (and older F-31). F-36 interior is shown below:

Attached File  table.jpg   7.38K   67 downloads  Attached File  galley.jpg   30.85K   88 downloads

The big difference however is at the waterline area where the F-33X is a big 6" (160mm) wider than the F-33, but the F-36 is a whopping 13" wider again than the F-33X.

Max headroom on F-36 is 1.98m (6' 6") and 1.88 - 1.93m (6' 2 to 6' 4") on the F-33 depending on interior layout. However, the F-36 headroom can be easily increased a further 4''/100mm by lowering cabin floor. It is just a much bigger boat, but one that can only be trailered by taking apart (demounted), which is a lot of work.

Attached File  F36trailer.jpg   140.12K   78 downloads

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#22 FishAintBiting

FishAintBiting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ian,

Ian Farrier

Had a problem with my lower back for the last 8 years or so.  Was finally told last year that this is related to my tight hamstrings.  Stretching these daily, holding each stretch for 60 seconds and doing this twice per leg is helping heaps.  Not all solved but that'll probably take some more stretching than I'm doing.

Good luck with the back and with enjoy your sailing.

Fish

#23 BlackjackF85

BlackjackF85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Boat Building
    Bike riding

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Had a problem with my lower back for the last 8 years or so.  Was finally told last year that this is related to my tight hamstrings.  Stretching these daily, holding each stretch for 60 seconds and doing this twice per leg is helping heaps.  Not all solved but that'll probably take some more stretching than I'm doing.

Fish

Get a foot stool and you can stretch them while watching TV. I used to pull a second chair up to my desk at work to stretch them also.

When my hamstrings tighten I have terrible problems with my lower back. I started riding a road bike around 7 years back and that

really tightens my hamstrings so I have to stretch quite a lot. No big deal if you can work it into your daily activity.  

#24 FishAintBiting

FishAintBiting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Fish

Get a foot stool and you can stretch them while watching TV. I used to pull a second chair up to my desk at work to stretch them also.

When my hamstrings tighten I have terrible problems with my lower back. I started riding a road bike around 7 years back and that

really tightens my hamstrings so I have to stretch quite a lot. No big deal if you can work it into your daily activity.  

Indeed working on stretching regularly really helps.  I wish my physios and chiros had told me this years ago, guess they had to get their kids through private schooling.  Took a chiro in Switzerland to be finally honest, who'd believe that????

#25 Lighthouse

Lighthouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Took a chiro in Switzerland to be finally honest, who'd believe that????

Well, I would believe that, sure...  ;-)

#26 FishAintBiting

FishAintBiting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Errr, sorry Ian from distracting the masses from your great boats.  It probably will never happen again from me, probably ... :rolleyes:

#27 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Errr, sorry Ian from distracting the masses from your great boats.  It probably will never happen again from me, probably ... :rolleyes:

Well my wife uses the aft cabin as a seasickness cure, so why not use the boat for stretching hamstrings as well?

Plenty of deck space and sitting areas, and I'm flexible.

Attached File  F-33Photo.jpg   168.33K   177 downloads

An  early F-33 with aft cabin

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs That Cure

#28 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Multihulls Direct has now moved into a larger factory, near Clark International Airport (CRK), which makes it much easier to visit, plus humidity is lower and better for construction during the summer.

Attached File  MDFactory.jpg   124.07K   58 downloads

Attached File  MDFactoryInside.jpg   99.45K   93 downloads

Attached File  MDFactoryInside2.jpg   100.65K   83 downloads

Boats #4 and #5 are about to be started, while here in NZ I have just finished the new mast and rig drawings, and we will be shipping the first set of F-33 beams this month.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#29 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

I was able to visit Multihull Direct's factory at Clark Field in the Philippines last week, to check out how the new F-33 was going.  

Attached File  MD-Factory.jpg   91.24K   121 downloads

Six boats are currently in progress, with the first about to be delivered to a UK buyer, this having the optional kick back centerboard, which significantly opens up the interior. There is also an all carbon boat now in process, and more comprehensive details and photos for those interested are now at:

http://www.f-boat.co...F-33Update.html

Ian Farrier
Farrier Marine
Designs that work

#30 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

The first F-33 has now been shipped from Subic Bay:

Attached File  F-33InContainer.jpg   128.51K   100 downloads

Packed in container and ready for doors to be shut

Attached File  F-33FoldedOnTrailer.jpg   85.04K   160 downloads

Earlier and about to be disassembled

Attached File  F-33UnfoldedTrailer.jpg   97.01K   194 downloads

Attached File  F-33Interior.jpg   55.66K   179 downloads

Interior is fully formed and painted, but otherwise is bare

This boat is heading for the UK, and is a finished kit, which means hulls are finished with boat assembled and folding. It only needs the mast to be added, the deck fittings bolted on, and interior finished. 

Next delivery is due in a couple of weeks.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine,

Designs that work

#31 1airborne

1airborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

attachicon.gifF-33Interior.jpg

This boat is heading for the UK, and is a finished kit, which means hulls are finished with boat assembled and folding. It only needs the mast to be added, the deck fittings bolted on, and interior finished. 

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine,

Designs that work

The last picture looks like it has a center board case. Is it?

Bill

f-22#226

#32 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

droooooool

sorry...

for me, motivation to have better luck in capitalism.

#33 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

attachicon.gifF-33Interior.jpg

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine,

Designs that work

The last picture looks like it has a center board case. Is it?

Bill

f-22#226

Yes, it has the kick back centerboard option, as shown below:

Attached File  F-32CenterboardFit.jpg   63.35K   23 downloads

More forgiving and safer in shallow waters, with more room inside, but not quite as efficient as the daggerboard..

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#34 1airborne

1airborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

"but not quite as efficient as the daggerboard.."

How much less efficient is the centerboard?

Bill

F22#226

#35 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

"but not quite as efficient as the daggerboard.."

How much less efficient is the centerboard?

Bill
F22#226

Hard to give an exact answer as there are many factors, such as boat setup and crew skill. However, take a top crew versus an average crew, and I would say the top crew will be fastest every time, whether on centerboard boat or daggerboard boat. The slight extra drag of the longer centerboard slot would not be enough to give the average crew a big enough advantage.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine,
Designs that work....

#36 maldonmud

maldonmud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

'.... the slight extra drag of the longer centerboard slot would not be enough to give the average crew a big enough advantage.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine,
Designs that work....

Some years back I seem to recall seeing pictures of a centreboard equipped F24 or F25?  where the owner had modified the hull strip cut out to create the centrboard slot, hinged it at one end and worked out a way of automatically pivoting it down so that with the board down the slot was filled with the faired strip.  When the board was raised the strip tucked above it in the centreboard case. I couldn't work out exactly how it was done at the time

If such a system worked reliably without jamming just when it mattered that would be very neat.

Best wishes

Paul

#37 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

'.... the slight extra drag of the longer centerboard slot would not be enough to give the average crew a big enough advantage.
Ian Farrier
Farrier Marine,
Designs that work....

Some years back I seem to recall seeing pictures of a centreboard equipped F24 or F25?  where the owner had modified the hull strip cut out to create the centrboard slot, hinged it at one end and worked out a way of automatically pivoting it down so that with the board down the slot was filled with the faired strip.  When the board was raised the strip tucked above it in the centreboard case. I couldn't work out exactly how it was done at the time

If such a system worked reliably without jamming just when it mattered that would be very neat.

Best wishes
Paul

Complicated with a high potential for trouble and maintenance issues, and just not worth it for what is only a small amount of extra drag.

I have had many centerboard boats and have never bothered to do anything in this regard. Okay for a small dinghy where one can flip it over on the beach to maintain, but not something I would recommend on bigger boats.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine
Designs That Work

#38 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

New F-33s are now also being shipped:

http://www.f-boat.co...-33Update1.html