• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikescott

mikescott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Looking for a decent mast still good for racing. Also will be best if its on the west coast or as close as possible to the west coast. Need to ship to Oahu. Please email me @

m.scotthawaii@gmail.com

#2 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

PM and email sent.  I have a Kenyon with 10 seasons on it sitting in Seattle on my fence.  From hull 4327

#3 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Mike's too modest to get into the details, but I'm not !

This past weeknd we had the first day of our Summer Circuit race series - a 12-race series held over the course of 3 Sundays. This year the fleet is down a bit - only 17 boats due to a few drop-outs and other complications - we've enjoyed 20+ boats on the line before.

Breeze was a squally 15-25 and moments after finished the 4th and last race of the day the guys on J/24 # 1970 ( Dan Doyle's old Actuation) heard a "bang!" and noticed the rig slack. Jib and main were promptly doused and a tow was secured to return the boat to the KYC - about a 1/2 mile or so away. Mike did a good job getting everyone back ashore safely.

What I found when they tied up to the bulkhead was a new one on me, anyway - the mast tube had cracked at the fasteners securing the lower spin pole ring - and the cracks had joined 'round to the mast front - showing a good 1/4"+ air-gap at the leading edge !! Sucker was cracked 2/3 of the way around !

We secured the upper mast section with a crane and with the help of some sailors cut then tore the remaining mast material (the rear third of the tube ) and lowered the top safely.

I don't know if this was the original mast for the boat ( possible) but I did recognize some fittings that I installed some 15 years ago when we sailed the living daylights out of that boat, so given the ocean miles on it, perhaps this wasn't entirely un-expected.

Sorry it happened on your watch, Mike. Good luck securing another mast ASAP. No luck with that boat in town, eh ?

#4 4deckgye

4deckgye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

New mast,

Definitely the way to go as a perm fix.  In the mean time, have you considered a mast collar around the broken section.  I had a friend about to miss out on Key West Race week due to a mast break on the delivery.  To get through the week they drove up to Charleston to a spar manufacturer that had a "collar" that effectively attached the two pieces together.  

And have a professional rigger check the installation to ensure safety.

Cheers and good luck

#5 Grind4Beer

Grind4Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Not any help on getting another mast, but back before I owned 3224, the mast cracked about 3/5 of the way around, at the partners, starting from the corners of rectangular holes that'd been cut for exit sheaves.

This was about 10-12 years back, and there wasn't a J24 mast to be had then for love or money. So the owner got a partial sleeve welded over, and that lasted until about 3-4 years ago. The next cracks started at the edge of the weld, and all the used masts I could find had those damned rectangular holes.

Back to the weld shop for a full external sleeve about 9" long, and that's held up okay so far, been out lots of 30kt weather. The mast also has several other rectangular exits (with double-sheave exit blocks, and it used to have deck organizers and line clutches by the companionway for everything, first owner must have thought it was a big-boat). I've cut nice radii on all of those, and keep a close eye on them. I figure the mast is running on borrowed time now ... New masts all have oval exits, and none at the same height or at the partners. I dunno who it was that decided cutting big rectangular holes in that section (and at the partners!!) was an okay idea, but I've seen lots of them on older J24s ...

Back to your crack at the spin-ring rivets ... Every other J24 mast that I've seen broken above deck level had a hole involved in the fracture; j-hooks, spreaders, rivets, exits, etc. Often there was corrosion around the stainless. If you can't find a replacement stick, find a good welder/rigger, and a foot or two of somebody else's broken mast. Cut off the back about 3/8 from the track, taper the ends artfully (look at bicycle lugs), stuff it into the break and spread a couple-three staggered rows of rivets into the splice-piece. I've seen that hold up on 40ft-ers for 20+ years, it should get you a few more days of J24 ...

G4B

#6 mikescott

mikescott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Mike's too modest to get into the details, but I'm not !

This past weeknd we had the first day of our Summer Circuit race series - a 12-race series held over the course of 3 Sundays. This year the fleet is down a bit - only 17 boats due to a few drop-outs and other complications - we've enjoyed 20+ boats on the line before.

Breeze was a squally 15-25 and moments after finished the 4th and last race of the day the guys on J/24 # 1970 ( Dan Doyle's old Actuation) heard a "bang!" and noticed the rig slack. Jib and main were promptly doused and a tow was secured to return the boat to the KYC - about a 1/2 mile or so away. Mike did a good job getting everyone back ashore safely.

What I found when they tied up to the bulkhead was a new one on me, anyway - the mast tube had cracked at the fasteners securing the lower spin pole ring - and the cracks had joined 'round to the mast front - showing a good 1/4"+ air-gap at the leading edge !! Sucker was cracked 2/3 of the way around !

We secured the upper mast section with a crane and with the help of some sailors cut then tore the remaining mast material (the rear third of the tube ) and lowered the top safely.

I don't know if this was the original mast for the boat ( possible) but I did recognize some fittings that I installed some 15 years ago when we sailed the living daylights out of that boat, so given the ocean miles on it, perhaps this wasn't entirely un-expected.

Sorry it happened on your watch, Mike. Good luck securing another mast ASAP. No luck with that boat in town, eh ?

#7 mikescott

mikescott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

I checked out that boat in town, the marina is going to keep her there.

Nice mast tho you were right

#8 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about the break.  Funny thing is that this past Wednesday your father walked up to a group of us at Rush Creek Yacht Club, told us your story and asked if we knew of any J24 masts laying around.  We didn't know of any here in Texas, but keeping our eyes and ears to the ground for you.

Cheers!

John Hopper

#9 j24usa292

j24usa292

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Brian Malone, district governor of the Southeast has one he is trying to sell, smsrigging@gmail.com. 

#10 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well hopefully Scott will like my mast when he looks at it this weekend  I'd love to see it in a warm home

#11 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Well hopefully Scott will like my mast when he looks at it this weekend  I'd love to see it in a warm home

It not, I'd be interested. I'm in you area for WIRW.

#12 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Great, let me know... I'm actually now in Paris and conducting this by remote control.  The mast is hanging on the fence at my house - which is rentted out.

Its a 1987 Kenyon, but it was only sailed from 1987-1996 when my J-24 was dropped from a crane (mast was not standing) and the keel punched through the bottom

#13 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Funnily enough one just appeared on e-Bay

http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_137wt_1011

#14 archer007

archer007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rowing

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

PM and email sent.  I have a Kenyon with 10 seasons on it sitting in Seattle on my fence.  From hull 4327

#15 archer007

archer007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rowing

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is your mast still avaiable? I live in seattle and am in need of a replacment mast. 360-202-4103

#16 lucky1954

lucky1954

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Sailing, Travelling and Sail making !

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Keep ringing !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users