573 replies to this topic

#501 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Here is a blast from the past. Could live without the soundtrack and wonder why they stopped short of showing the splash. That cradle has served her well. Funny to see it laying empty at pier 80. That alone must be worth a Hundred Grand!

Oh...got it. The music is over the top though!

Should be a LOT more dramatic tomorrow though.

#502 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Sailworld article on USA 17 relocation (nothing new: essentially the pressure-drop pix)

Interesting that she still a rudder in..

#503 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Sky crane helo is in place at the airfield next to Redwood Shores Drive. Mast is just outside Oracle on a semi. 50 Meter mast it looks like with a large crane there.

#504 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Remember when it was announced OR would challenge with a 90' x 90' boat and that strap-on Ernie declared with a stupid, shity grin...

"what are they going to build,  a barge?" 

#505 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

^^ lol, You think ~that~ music was over the top?

Here's another retro throwback

#506 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:39 AM

Remember when it was announced OR would challenge with a 90' x 90' boat and that strap-on Ernie declared with a stupid, shity grin...

"what are they going to build,  a barge?" 

Missed that one - could have had a lot of fun with it.

Not the first time he's stuck his foot in his mouth.

#507 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:04 AM

^^ lol, You think ~that~ music was over the top?

Here's another retro throwback

Lots of good memories with AC33, and this is a classic.

The other things that ranked high on the list was alinghi's airlift over the alps when the strap broke just before dropping her in the water, her engine burning up and needing replacement, the court loss with RAK as the venue, and EB's sail loft growing wings as soon as they arrived in Valencia. The writing was on the wall all the way down the road - karma's a bitch.

The irony is EB had several opportunities, openly communicated, to have a MC event. With his obstinate attitude, he declined all offers and opted to dig his heels in and got pounded in the process. 

#508 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,205 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

nice article by KL
--
Future Sailing Wind Assisted Ferries
By Kimball Livingston Posted April 21, 2014
Eventually, someone is going to get wind assisted transport right.
http://www.blueplane...sisted-ferries/

weeds and spiders got it down by nature

#509 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

she's in the water at the pond

2rr8ime.jpg

#510 aA

aA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

#511 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

^^ My daughter and I love the Wagner 'Ride of the Valkyries', excellent touch as she appears over/between the buldings.

Great Work! Thanks.

#512 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

The boat looks cool at this point:

Attached File  DZ In-Flight.jpg   15.22K   42 downloads

#513 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Nicely done...

#514 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

she's in the water at the pond

Not anymore. High and dry. Used partial port daggerboard as a mount. Partial port rudder left on and seven degree heel to simulate sailing. Mast will be stepped Sunday.

Attached Files

#515 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

smart move for display, get to enjoy the lines below the waterline, list for rain water drainage = minimal maintenance plus potential damage from the evils of water imersion on the hulls.

#516 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

More pics here, at SW via PD
http://www.sail-worl...cle-Corp/122028

#517 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

To much twist in the hulls. 

#518 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

smart move for display, get to enjoy the lines below the waterline, list for rain water drainage = minimal maintenance plus potential damage from the evils of water imersion on the hulls.

+1

She looks good like that.  Still think the red paint and the changed decals look like shit, but its not my boat.  In the end I am glad she didn't get cut up.  Can't wait to see her final set up.

WetHog   :ph34r:

#519 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I was told this is mast 1 or 2 when she had a main. Stepped Sunday, too much wind today.

Attached Files

#520 mattdarnell

mattdarnell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Looks like she is being put to rest.

2j5gpp1.jpg

#521 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

It's hard to believe, but according to two people from Oracle, they actually thought they were going to be able to mount DZ in the display hanging from the Helo until they saw how unruly she was in the wind and rotor wash. IMHO, that was never going to happen! As it was, it took over an hour hanging from the crane to get one set of pins in. Imagine standing in that coffer dam with DZ hovering over you dangling from a Helo!

But then...one of the sources (who was in charge of the operation) referred to DZ's "tillers" (meaning wheels). I assured her DZ doesn't have tillers. She insisted that is how the OTUSA guys referred to them as well.

I told her, "That's a lot of boat to handle with a tiller!". 

Apparently they are still considering building a observation deck so you can stand behind the tillers...I mean wheels!

Attached Files

#522 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

^^ Thank you for your on-scene work today, it helps us in other parts of the AC world to get the feel of what is happening on the ground (water). The pics and video are great and I appreciate your efforts, hopefully it was a fun day at the OR Headquarters and the folks there were cool with your presence there.It sounds like it from the report.

#523 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

We need to organize an SAAC party at OR world headquarters, and hopefully get LE's approval and maybe share with us at such an event. LE provided us the most cool sailing vessel to date, and hopefully he can appreciate the excitement that this boat inspired.

For me personally it was a distraction from the 18 months that I was out of work, and helped to get through this trying time.

Along with the rest of you 'bums'.  ;)

#524 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

IMO, DZ will for a very long time go down as the baddest-ass DoG in AC History.

Anacortes might have been nice for that cool town being the birthplace but with DZ being an LE and therefore Silicon Valley insipration, this display works too.

Love the tilt, brings back memories of the momentary speed flash right before the Race 1 gun. Great choice.

#525 MrSurly

MrSurly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

Bit of revisionism here...she's a full foiler now?

#526 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

We need to organize an SAAC party at OR world headquarters, and hopefully get LE's approval and maybe share with us at such an event. LE provided us the most cool sailing vessel to date, and hopefully he can appreciate the excitement that this boat inspired.

For me personally it was a distraction from the 18 months that I was out of work, and helped to get through this trying time.

Maybe we can get clean to ring up Larry to set it up, and also grant him an interview while he's at it. I understand he's wanted to sanction a SA event for some time now but just hasn't had the chance, maybe this is it. If Larry isn't receptive because he's basking in the Hawaii sun and isn't taking calls at the moment, maybe clean can contact Russell to set it up, along with an interview. If Russell is not receptive for some unknown reason, maybe clean can use his friendship with Cayard to ask him to arrange the call with Russell, and an interview as well.

In the unlikely event that none of these approaches pan out, we can always get MSP to file a law suit against all the parties for all the fraud he thinks they are guilty of, and use his extensive and successful legal track record as a settlement tactic in lieu of the various law suits as leverage to hold the party.

Or then again we could just arrange a tailgate party and wear our Alinghi swag in memory of EB.

#527 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

Maybe we can get clean to ring up Larry to set it up, and also grant him an interview while he's at it. I understand he's wanted to sanction a SA event for some time now but just hasn't had the chance, maybe this is it. If Larry isn't receptive because he's basking in the Hawaii sun and isn't taking calls at the moment, maybe clean can contact Russell to set it up, along with an interview. If Russell is not receptive for some unknown reason, maybe clean can use his friendship with Cayard to ask him to arrange the call with Russell, and an interview as well.

In the unlikely event that none of these approaches pan out, we can always get MSP to file a law suit against all the parties for all the fraud he thinks they are guilty of, and use his extensive and successful legal track record as a settlement tactic in lieu of the various law suits as leverage to hold the party.

Or then again we could just arrange a tailgate party and wear our Alinghi swag in memory of EB.

Larry's in Washington not Hawaii right now.

#528 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

@bwebbupfront: Nice morning for a rig step... http://twitter.com/b...0551168/photo/1

#529 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

The stick is on. There is a guy on top in two shots (sorry, flip phone camera!).

I have to say, they did a great job. 

She looks cool, even while driving by. Almost looks bigger from the street for some reason.

So I guess DZ does live after all!

Attached Files

#530 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the pics - I'll have to swing by and check it out.

Wonder how the Starsky and Hutch machine is doing.

#531 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hopefully, someday that whole pond will be filled with AC Champions.

#532 mattdarnell

mattdarnell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

That looks cool!  Will certainly stop by during the next trip to Bay Area.

From - https://twitter.com/bwebbupfront

BnYVmLjCcAAmCVa.jpg

#533 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,205 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

They should place a Rocking Horse on the shore behind DoGZilla (only fitting...eh)

#534 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

I guess this means that it will be on a Monday? :blink:

#535 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

BnYVmLjCcAAmCVa.jpg

That boat will never win .

Those hulls are too narrow and just look at that flex .

What were they thinking ?

#536 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

^^ Reminds me of the A Cubed/IL Moro boats on display.

#537 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Precisely, just not sure which year.

#538 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Precisely, just not sure which year.

Maybe the ETNZ vid can be played at the event..............................................

#539 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Well, SA again thinks it knows whats best for billionaires on the front page, as if they have been thinking about what to do permanently with DoGzilla.

Rather than have her take up dock space or be sentenced to the trash heap, knowing she could never be sailed by tourists, LE is creating a decent looking set of boat displays for his hobby. The helo probably cost a lot less than rent at Pier 80, but who knows.  

#540 mattdarnell

mattdarnell

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

BnYVmLjCcAAmCVa.jpg

That boat will never win .

Those hulls are too narrow and just look at that flex .

What were they thinking ?

In hindsight I think you are right...something like this isn't in the same league as a large soft sail cat, even with a wing sail.  :)

#541 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

I think its very generous to go to the time and effort to preserve this piece of yachting history and hopefully OR 17 might join the other two as well someday .

Well played Uncle Larry .

#542 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

http://www.pressure-...gzilla-s-Flight

#543 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Damn, that thing is BIG.

#544 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

I think its very generous to go to the time and effort to preserve this piece of yachting history and hopefully OR 17 might join the other two as well someday .

Just think if we had America, Reliance, and Ranger on display somewhere............................................

The replica's are nice and well done, but it is just not the same, and no one would have spent the coin to build another DZ.

#545 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

http://www.pressure-...gzilla-s-Flight

Excellent photos, was hoping we'd see some from that other heli visible in some of the videos.

There are a few more in this PD thread
http://www.pressure-...36794#post36794

#546 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

Could be billed to Orackle as an art installation!!

Well, SA again thinks it knows whats best for billionaires on the front page, as if they have been thinking about what to do permanently with DoGzilla.

Rather than have her take up dock space or be sentenced to the trash heap, knowing she could never be sailed by tourists, LE is creating a decent looking set of boat displays for his hobby. The helo probably cost a lot less than rent at Pier 80, but who knows.  

#547 mo fuzz

mo fuzz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

Great to see her flying again. Even if it is the last time.

#548 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

+1k  OR 17 most surely will!  Two of yachting"s greatest triumphs!

#549 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm in!

#550 mo fuzz

mo fuzz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Anacortes might have been nice for that cool town being the birthplace but with DZ being an LE and therefore Silicon Valley insipration, this display works too.

Love the tilt, brings back memories of the momentary speed flash right before the Race 1 gun. Great choice.

Ditto.

Comparable to DZ herself is the DoG story surrounding her. Whatwith all those legal challenges, venue choices, spying, headfakes, etc.

And how about those AC obsessed internet forum dudes. Man those guys are whacked.

#551 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:25 AM

Ditto.

Comparable to DZ herself is the DoG story surrounding her. Whatwith all those legal challenges, venue choices, spying, headfakes, etc.

And how about those AC obsessed internet forum dudes. Man those guys are whacked.

Free Schnappi!!!!

#552 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

It's going to be next to USA 76 in the lagoon in front of the 500 Tower.

MM isn't going to like this. He was ridiculing the idea a few weeks ago. :-)

And were you?
I'll believe it when I see it but if it does happen I plan on being there to take pictures.

#553 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

Since A5 was lifted over the Swiss and Italian Alps with a helicopter, I don't see why they couldn't float USA-17 down off of Redwood Shores and then use a helicopter to fly it along the slough. That way they wouldn't have to fly over anything inhabited But whatever happens, it will be awhile (after AC34 is done).

The FAA would probably have some serious questions about that plan.

Redwood Shores is directly under the final approach to San Francisco International Airport.

There is also a general aviation airport, San Carlos Airport, right next to the slough.

From the slough to "Larry's Lake", the flight would only have to cover a little over a mile.

But the flight path would be over either homes that cost over $900,000, or the Electronic Arts campus and the Sofitel Hotel.  The insurance premium would be prohibitive even for someone as wealthy as Larry Ellison.

It's only about 20 miles from Pier 80 to Oracle via the highway.  It would be much easier and cheaper to put the boat on a trailer at 1am with a bunch of pilot cars and a CHP escort.

A little gloating is in order.

#554 Liquid

Liquid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

From the mythical front page:

"Apparently, this is what you do when you have too much money."

Ummmm...  if you're LE, what exactly is "too much"?  

And if you had it, the billions, the Cup (x 2), Dogzilla, and a huge corp campus that represents your ideation of a relational database - disk drives - that made you one of the wealthiest people in the world, why the fuck not!

Go Larry!

T

#555 CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Certainly beats on old plastic trophy on a dusty garage shelf...

Still don't care for the paint job though.

#556 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

It's interesting that  they will float then fly. Flying from 80 would probably add 10 minutes to the flight. Probably less time then it will take to rig her in the water.

Can not fly the sky crane loaded through SFO or Oakland Airport airspace, or populated areas other than specifically stated for permission under the flight plan.

They didn't even bother to interrupt flights into SFO while the  Sikorsky picked DZ out of the bay. It looked like they were flying right over her. They probably weren't, but they were certainly close, didn't seem to alter the approach much or didn't stop flying..

The lady from Oracle was telling me they had to slim DZ down to get her under the  Sikorsky's 10 Ton lifting limit.  I think she said DZ flew weighing a little over 19k.

#557 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Oracle is south of the bridge by about a mile and SFO is about 3 miles north.  So my rough estimate is that the landing pattern is still at over 4  thousand feet when they pass overhead and the Sikorsky looked to have only gone to a couple of hundred feet.

Also, airliners approach well over the bay, not over the sloughs, so they shouldn't have crossed paths anyway.

As for the weight limit.  BMW wanted off of the branding so they had to oblige and get the engine out!

#558 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

A time lapse that includes the mast step
http://davidhaimes.w...me-lapse-video/

#559 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

BMW wanting their branding off makes sense, and is to bad from a historical perspective, but the red bows on the port and starboard hulls?  Cringe worthy.  Should of kept them white and put ORACLE across them in red letters.

On a different subject, what are the stresses on the starboard hull and the cross beams having the starboard hull hang free without any underneath supports?  USA-71's bottom was fouled over time, and the gravel inside it didn't help, but how many years will the starboard hull hang there with no issues?  I would think a long time, but I know nothing about the longevity of carbon fiber components.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#560 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Oracle is south of the bridge by about a mile and SFO is about 3 miles north.  So my rough estimate is that the landing pattern is still at over 4  thousand feet when they pass overhead and the Sikorsky looked to have only gone to a couple of hundred feet.

Also, airliners approach well over the bay, not over the sloughs, so they shouldn't have crossed paths anyway.

As for the weight limit.  BMW wanted off of the branding so they had to oblige and get the engine out!

You can estimate all you want. I'm telling you they were in in the same neighborhood. Plenty of vertical separation, not dangerously close or anything. However, given all the discussion here regarding airspace, I was surprised to see business as usual during a peak period. SFO would have only needed to delay or alter approaches for three minutes for the lift, but they didn't even bother.

It seems the helo could have flown from pier 80, up the center of the bay, under the approach (as they did anyway) without interrupting anything. Must have had a reason not to, but I don't think it had anything to do with airspace.

As for weight, I guess the chick from Oracle was just making it up to impress me (I wish...she's a hottie!).

#561 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Very sweet...

#562 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

#563 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Very sweet...
Agreed.
He also posted a nice comparison pair of pics,
http://davidhaimes.w...s-at-oracle-hq/

Nice vid link, Rennmaus. I remember the day you first set eyes on DZ, fun times!

#564 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

BMW wanting their branding off makes sense, and is to bad from a historical perspective, but the red bows on the port and starboard hulls?  Cringe worthy.  Should of kept them white and put ORACLE across them in red letters.

BMW and Oracle separated in Valencia didn't they, (when she went from being BOR 90 to USA 17)?   Come to think of it...How did they win the AC without the motor? <_<^^

The red bows appeared  when I did the OP. Seems they were tying to duplicate the look of the 72's which is one reason I assumed they were going to display DZ at the AC. The chick from Oracle said it was never even discussed!

On a different subject, what are the stresses on the starboard hull and the cross beams having the starboard hull hang free without any underneath supports?  USA-71's bottom was fouled over time, and the gravel inside it didn't help, but how many years will the starboard hull hang there with no issues?  I would think a long time, but I know nothing about the longevity of carbon fiber components.

WetHog  :ph34r:

Interesting point. 

#565 SF Woody Sailor

SF Woody Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Awesome video, thanks!

#566 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

You can estimate all you want. I'm telling you they were in in the same neighborhood. Plenty of vertical separation, not dangerously close or anything. However, given all the discussion here regarding airspace, I was surprised to see business as usual during a peak period. SFO would have only needed to delay or alter approaches for three minutes for the lift, but they didn't even bother.

It seems the helo could have flown from pier 80, up the center of the bay, under the approach (as they did anyway) without interrupting anything. Must have had a reason not to, but I don't think it had anything to do with airspace.

As for weight, I guess the chick from Oracle was just making it up to impress me (I wish...she's a hottie!).

Wasn't trying to be contentious with my estimates, just pointing out the vertical separation... which is how air lanes are assigned in the sky.   And I'm sure that clearance to get around the lower ceilings around the airport would have been hard to get... and the airport is between pier 80 and Oracle.

In the bay area, I think the bigger issue are Helicopter rules for noise which is probably closer to why the lift was as short as possible.  It was probably a condition of the permit.

I don't know what the exact rules are, but I know they are very very restrictive.  The reason I heard was that years ago, as the super rich began to fly them between their homes/offices and the airports, and later, from the airports to smaller hubs in the cities.   The noise and annoyance supposedly got out of hand.   Whatever the reason, you VERY rarely see helis around here.  The only exceptions seem to be emergency ambulance helicopters.   I don't think there are even 'traffic watch' copters in the bay area... but I'm not sure

#567 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

Great video. He didn't need to be obnoxious and call it a big shitty crane though....I thought it did a fine job!

Never thought I would see a drouge on DZ either.

#568 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Awesome video, thanks!

I'm getting teary eyed. Great stuff. What Larry did for the AC on so many levels with this thing will forever be underappreciated.

#569 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Great video. He didn't need to be obnoxious and call it a big shitty crane though....I thought it did a fine job!

Big SHEEDY crane.  Written on the side of the crane boom.

#570 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Big SHEEDY crane.  Written on the side of the crane boom.

Yeah...I know who owns the crane (and don't know what it had to do anything, but got a kick out of his accent).

I say, I say...it was a joke son. :P

Maybe I'm just sensitive as Sheedy has almost killed me twice by sending cranes out that couldn't get the job done. One tipped over onto a form I was on, the other sent a JLG plummeting 5 stories, putting me in a sheedy position. (Charlie Babbit made another joke!)

Fortunately, they had their sheed together and sent the right crane to Oracleville. 

#571 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Awesome video, thanks!

I'm getting teary eyed. Great stuff. What Larry did for the AC on so many levels with this thing will forever be underappreciated.

Well said!

#572 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

I say, I say...it was a joke son. :P

Attached File  Thats-a-joke-son.jpg   32.57K   1 downloads

One of my favorite scenes:

Foghorn_And_Junior

#573 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

Was she blonde with a Texas accent?

#574 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

With the recent placing of the DoGy in the lake, and all of Brad Webb's tweets about the process, I took a shot in the dark and asked him over twitter what is the fate of OR's AC72's, primarily OR2 that was the center piece of "The Comeback".  Here is his response:

@WetHog still unknown. Potentially museum for boat 2 (winner), & display pieces for boat 1. The Tri was one piece, 72's are bolted together.

So it doesn't sound like OR2 will join her big sister on display in the lake.  Just as well, the DoGy deserves that spot to herself, but I wonder what museum will take OR2.  Still think the USS Hornet museum is the perfect spot.  We shall see.  Also, I guess both AC72's are still inside the shed at Pier 80.  I asked Webb that as well, but he just responded on the fate of the 2 AC72's.

And I thanked him on twitter, but another thank you to Brad Webb for the response.

WetHog   :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users