• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BlackTarr

BlackTarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

My Buddy and I looked at a great J24 today.  We've never purchased a boat before and are looking to get a great boat that is fun, versatile and good to learn on -- JBoat!

We saw a 1982 boat today that looked great, but I'd like to check the HIN.  There seem to be a few websites to do this.  Does anyone have one they recommend as a good one?

Thanks!

#2 entropy

entropy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

What info are you looking for?

#3 BlackTarr

BlackTarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Looking for any red flags that would prevent us from making an offer on the boat.  Previous owners, incident reports, accidents, etc.

#4 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

You won't really be able to get that from a HIN on a sailboat.  Esp on a smaller, actively raced boat like a J-24.  It's not a car, and there really isn't a tracking system like carfax...

Find a knowledgeable surveyor who knows J-24s and pay him the couple hundred bucks to survey it....

#5 BlackTarr

BlackTarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Ok, thanks!  you just saved me $40 from trying boathistoryreport.com

We'll rely one the surveyor to tell us the condition of the boat.

#6 Boudicca

Boudicca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

If you're planning on racing the boat, I'd get a copy of the measurement certificate(s) from the association.  I think they're as or more important than what a surveyor will tell you.  

And for what it's worth, I used a surveyor who is well regarded in our area.  He knows all of the surveying methods, etc., but he really has no clue on what is/isn't a big deal on a J/24.  I'd ring up the fleet captain of your local fleet and see if they have any recommendations or know the boat.  I got a lot of quality photos for the fees but I'm glad I disregarded his advice.

Our fleet is always happy to see someone new join and you might find some veterans who will look at a boat with you.

#7 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

Talk to the people in the local J24 fleet you will probably find out the history of the boat good or bad there. The local fleet should be able recomment some good boats that are available and maybe a better overall deal then the one you are looking at.

#8 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

If you're planning on racing the boat, I'd get a copy of the measurement certificate(s) from the association.  I think they're as or more important than what a surveyor will tell you.  

And for what it's worth, I used a surveyor who is well regarded in our area.  He knows all of the surveying methods, etc., but he really has no clue on what is/isn't a big deal on a J/24.  I'd ring up the fleet captain of your local fleet and see if they have any recommendations or know the boat.  I got a lot of quality photos for the fees but I'm glad I disregarded his advice.

Our fleet is always happy to see someone new join and you might find some veterans who will look at a boat with you.

Great point about the local fleet veterans to look at boat, and if the fleet knows the boat and its history  You can screen out a lot of not so great boats that way.  Still may need a surveyor for insurance reasons.  Surveyor recommendation was to specifically find one who knows J-24s...so that he'd know what is and isn't a big deal on them...local fleet should be able to point you to that guy as well.

#9 Boudicca

Boudicca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

A buddy bought a sweet looking, late model year J24. When he got it measured he discovered the keel had been illegally modified, and it had other issues that will take time and money to fix. They were not deal killers per se - but they should have been price modifiers. Without the templates from the measurer and the class rules, I don't think a surveyor would be able to tell you the problem existed, and there is no way to put lead back on the keel short of replacement. As a result he needs to carry a lot of corrector weight, which may affect desirability if he sells it down the road.

#10 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

No disagreement from me!  I think he needs to do both...now if there was a surveyor, who was also active in the class, or was a class measurer...that would be the best of both worlds...but totally agree that class measurement issues normally fall outside the range of what the surveyor is concerned with.

#11 Boudicca

Boudicca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

No disagreement from me!  I think he needs to do both...now if there was a surveyor, who was also active in the class, or was a class measurer...that would be the best of both worlds...but totally agree that class measurement issues normally fall outside the range of what the surveyor is concerned with.

I only added the story to explain the need, not in response to your points about the value of a surveyor. I agree with your suggestion, having more than one set of eyes on the boat is extremely wise.

#12 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,948 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Post the number here. Odds are good somebody knows that boat all too well

#13 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

I only added the story to explain the need, not in response to your points about the value of a surveyor. I agree with your suggestion, having more than one set of eyes on the boat is extremely wise.
<Hijack>... Hey Jack, How did you do tonight? I am out of town. Back for Sundays races though, oh.. almost forgot.. fuck off newbie!</Hijack>

#14 BlackTarr

BlackTarr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Post the number here. Odds are good somebody knows that boat all too well

1982 J24, HIN 4345

#15 Boudicca

Boudicca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

<Hijack>... Hey Jack, How did you do tonight? I am out of town. Back for Sundays races though, oh.. almost forgot.. fuck off newbie!</Hijack>

Hey Al, a 2nd - still getting things dialed in and we could have used one more crew member for rail meat. The wind was fabulous after the squall passed and we all missed you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users