• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

My friend David Friedman, who was known to many as Mott Green, died last week in Grenada.  Because he was both an anarchist and a sailor, I thought I would post about it here. 

David was perhaps the most intense (and impulsive) person I ever had the privilege of spending time with, and he achieved remarkable things in his time here.  He was the founder of The Grenada Chocolate Company, and his exploits of delivering chocolate via sailboat have been mentioned in Sail Magazine.

His obituary appeared in today's NYTimes at page A16 and can be found here:  http://www.nytimes.c...?ref=obituaries

He has also been the subject of a couple of videos/films:

First, a documentary by Kum-Kum Bhavnani called "Nothing Like Chocolate" and narrated by Susan Sarandon.  Link here:  http://nothinglikechocolate.com/

And a well-done piece by Jimmy Buffet's daughter, found on youtube here:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3o2UwvVp2iw

If you watch them, you will be inspired.  And if you see his chocolate on display (among other places, it is sold in Whole Foods in Manhattan), please buy some.  The world could use a lot more people like him.

#2 BlondeWithFreeBoat

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Things that float

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sailing and chocolate? Your friend had my dream life!

#3 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

FFS

#4 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,819 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Never felt the need to put a user here on ignore.  So, where do I click to put Douche-Rags off limits to my viewing pleasure??....

#5 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Never felt the need to put a user here on ignore.  So, where do I click to put Douche-Rags off limits to my viewing pleasure??....

Right along side of the button for feeding chocolate to the homeless..

#6 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,330 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

thanks for not quoting it.

#7 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

DoRag only knows one way to communicate and is pretty pathetic about it to boot.  I've been lurking around SA long enough to have expected nonsense from the likes of him when I posted this, and it doesn't really bother me.  It certainly didn't stop me from posting about my friend. 

#8 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Sorry you lost a pal Plummer.

#9 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

DoRag only knows one way to communicate and is pretty pathetic about it to boot.  I've been lurking around SA long enough to have expected nonsense from the likes of him when I posted this, and it doesn't really bother me.  It certainly didn't stop me from posting about my friend.

Tell me again about the connection with yacht racing - the basis for SA......

#10 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss.  He sounds like a very interesting person.  People so committed to their ideals are rare now.

#11 gregj1

gregj1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

sorry for the loss of your friend, plumbean

thanks for sharing this -  what a remarkable guy

#12 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,541 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I cane see connoction to sailing, mabey notte yacht raceng, thusse the bases foure menchin inSA.......     :)

Faire Windes Mott!

#13 Plumbean

Plumbean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

SA is certainly racing oriented, but since when was that a prerequisite?  In any event, he was a member of the University of Pennsylvania sailing team back in the 1980s, as was I.  Were we top notch racers?  No.  Does that matter?  No. 

He also continued to promote sailing even if he wasn't racing -- to the point where Sail Magazine did a blurb on him last year.  You don't have to appreciate it DoRag, but you also don't have to read it either.

#14 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

SA is certainly racing oriented, but since when was that a prerequisite?  In any event, he was a member of the University of Pennsylvania sailing team back in the 1980s, as was I.  Were we top notch racers?  No.  Does that matter?  No. 

He also continued to promote sailing even if he wasn't racing -- to the point where Sail Magazine did a blurb on him last year.  You don't have to appreciate it DoRag, but you also don't have to read it either.
I see. Sail Magazine. The print version of Sailing Scuttlebutt......

UofP sailing team? Rubber duckies in a bathtub?

#15 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

That's cool shit plumbean.  Front page for sure.  Thanks.  Please ignore the crotchety old folks that like to stand around screaming 'get off my lawn' or the forum equivalent.

#16 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

That's cool shit plumbean.  Front page for sure.  Thanks.  Please ignore the crotchety old folks that like to stand around screaming 'get off my lawn' or the forum equivalent.

You do have an affinity for those that drop out of life to pursue rainbows, eh?

#17 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

what you call rainbows, the rest of the world calls hugely successful and impactful.  This guy turned a bush job in the darkest Caribbean into a high-end consumer product in Seattle and Aix-en-Provence.  He's been profiled all over the web, print, and TV and has inspired islanders to become vertical producers rather than exploited laborers and his message has obviously spread well beyond the caribbean.

So, yeah but you can be forgiven your lack of knowledge; your grammar, spelling, and opinions make it likely that you're one of the 70% of Americans with no passport.

#18 BlondeWithFreeBoat

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Things that float

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

what you call rainbows, the rest of the world calls hugely successful and impactful.  This guy turned a bush job in the darkest Caribbean into a high-end consumer product in Seattle and Aix-en-Provence.  He's been profiled all over the web, print, and TV and has inspired islanders to become vertical producers rather than exploited laborers and his message has obviously spread well beyond the caribbean.

So, yeah but you can be forgiven your lack of knowledge; your grammar, spelling, and opinions make it likely that you're one of the 70% of Americans with no passport.

This. Honestly, I think it takes a HUGE amount of courage to leave a sure bet and "chase rainbows" as it were. Hope to do it myself some day. There's so much more to life than degree --> desk job --> promotions --> CEO. I used to think I wanted that. Now that I realize that the people who actually had the pair of brass ones to get OUT of that and try something unique are the ones who really had it figured out. Sounds like Mr. Friedman was absolutely one of them, and thanks to Plumbean for sharing his story.

#19 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yo, Sancho, where's that damn horse? Where did you put my armor? Get me my lance......there's a windmill over there just itching for a fight.....

#20 HASYB

HASYB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:sailing, humans on planet Earth.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

My friend David Friedman, who was known to many as Mott Green, died last week in Grenada.  Because he was both an anarchist and a sailor, I thought I would post about it here. 

David was perhaps the most intense (and impulsive) person I ever had the privilege of spending time with, and he achieved remarkable things in his time here.  He was the founder of The Grenada Chocolate Company, and his exploits of delivering chocolate via sailboat have been mentioned in Sail Magazine.

His obituary appeared in today's NYTimes at page A16 and can be found here:  http://www.nytimes.c...?ref=obituaries

He has also been the subject of a couple of videos/films:

First, a documentary by Kum-Kum Bhavnani called "Nothing Like Chocolate" and narrated by Susan Sarandon.  Link here:  http://nothinglikechocolate.com/

And a well-done piece by Jimmy Buffet's daughter, found on youtube here:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3o2UwvVp2iw

If you watch them, you will be inspired.  And if you see his chocolate on display (among other places, it is sold in Whole Foods in Manhattan), please buy some.  The world could use a lot more people like him.

Thanks for sharing Plumbean, 

An impressive story; I for certain gonna get his chocolate.

Agree on that the world needs a lot more people like him.

Rest in Peace Mott 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users