#1 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Stuff4Toys.com

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Looking for a cool one design sport boat kit or plans.  GRP, foam core sandwich, prefer not plywood.

Little smaller than an Open 6.5 or Pogo, needs to be slightly less than 8' wide and 16' - 22' long.  470, 500, 570 or something similar.

My garage door is exactly 96" wide and 96" tall so anything wider must fit through the door on a diagonal.

TIA

JOhn ><>

#2 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

i550.

#3 RustySkiff

RustySkiff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sunsets and Long walks on the beach

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

hartley 16' for some old school sportboat action.

#4 RustySkiff

RustySkiff

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sunsets and Long walks on the beach

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

Leech 6.5 for some new school sportboat action

#5 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just not real excited about the Leach's wooden bottom.

#6 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'm confident Dan could spec a composite bottom for you. Otherwise what about the Shaw 550?

#7 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

i550. Plastic boats are welcomed. There is one sailing now in Florida and another closing in on finishing in Jacksonville.

#8 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I guess I should specify the MOST important spec besides making it through an 8 x 8 doorway, is that it needs a 5' or less draft with a lifting keel.

the west coast of Florida is really just a flooded mangrove swamp, and Charlotte Harbor (the best place to sail in SW Florida) average depth is only about 5-8 feet. 

Currently sailing a boat that's 5' draft and you learn real quick where your boundaries are.

#9 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

i550: keel ballast bulb 49.6 inches max from hull surface + 8 inches draft of hull at keel frames = less than 5 feet.

The max beam is 8 feet. most of the builders so far have rounded the gunwales of the widely flared topsides. So in that case you get about an inch or two of grace on the 8 foot width of the shop door.

T

#10 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hope that I do not come across as a junkyard dog pushing the i550 on you, but here are a few references of a boat the Gougeon Brothers built for the 2011 Everglades Challenge. Hot Canary is a modified i550 that needed to be launched from the beach, so they used a weighted keel foil without a bulb.This allowed it to be pulled up flush with the hull. In the last picture below, an i550 with the keel/ bulb retracted would be floating in knee deep water.

Attached File  16gougon1.jpg   58.1K   52 downloads  Attached File  Cedar Key 20110881.JPG   114.33K   56 downloads Attached File  5506197148_f449f088f5_b1.jpg   348.21K   46 downloads

Sailing Anarchy Forum: Watertribe Everglades Challenge 2011 has started

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=119477

West System Epoxy: Everglades Challenge & Building the i550 Hot Canary

http://www.epoxywork...s Challenge.pdf

http://www.epoxywork... Hot Canary.pdf

And the famous West System video - How to build an i550 in just 3 minutes. It has over 200K views!

http://www.westsyste...550-time-lapse/

There are a number of plan holders/builders in the SE and a new #468 plan owner is north of you in Clearwater. As for the 8' door, we have had an builder that need to think like Gibs to get the boat out of the shop. There is a plywood cored boat that has been racing in Florida for three seasons. PM if you have any questions.

#11 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

An I550 fits your bill perfectly.

Has a great online community of owners/builders too so plenty of info to help you along/solve any problems you might encounter along the way

#12 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am considering the i550 and this one for boats with wood in them. http://www.bateau.co...18#.Ub8vIZz4Ifg

What do you think about this design?

#13 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Currently sailing a Lindenberg 22, I am not totally opposed to sailing a flat bottom boat, but thinking about more rounded chines like a mini or Hunter 18.

#14 huey 2

huey 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:yes

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

A nice design for sailing and building comes from colson design in qld Australia ;  550  multichine is one of his latest !

#15 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Happy bithday Stuff4Toys.  Your decision comes down to how you intend to use the boat. Both could be fun.

The SB18 design was a follow up to the Marc Lombard – Randonneur 550 design that Bateau previously sold and it came out after the first i550 was sailing (Tokyo Trash Babe).  The i550 and SB18 are similar. Both are 18 feet with an 8 foot beam. The SB is a 5 panel design (rounder section) where the i550 is a 3 panel design (narrow water line, wide faired to the deck). The weight of the SB18 is heavier with 365# lead in the bulb (More fun pulling it up). If you use the SB18 “large” main, the up wind sail area is about equal, but downwind the i550 has much more sail area with a masthead Asym spinnaker. SB18 looks like it should be sailed flat were the i550 is design to be sailed at an angle.  This reduces the keel depth and with a flatter section aft the i550 should plan sooner.

The closest completed i550 to you is in Merritt Island Fl and the nearest known completed SB18 is in Houston/ Galveston Texas.  Another SB18 recently launched in Washington State where I would expect to see the first SB18 vs. i550 race.   

The i550 difference comes with over 500 plans sold, number of boats being built (I’m following over 60), and the many builders willing to share information.  The SE has 27 plans owners, with 6 know boats being built. If Totalxs would just put his boat in the water there would be a second boat in Florida sailing. There are two more in the Chesapeake Bay nearing completion with one having a foam core deck. I’m in South Carolina and trying to get her completed, but my other job keeps getting in the way.

#16 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the Birthday greetings.  There are so many little boats out there, and my boat building knowledge is limited currently to dreams.  Ultimately one of the 6.50 mini's would be my goal, but my current situation is limiting me to a smaller boat.

#17 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

How about a Seascape 18?

http://www.seascape18.com/blog/

Not sure that it really is as hot a sailer as a sportboat but it's cool-looking and practical.

And of course it's been discussed here

http://forums.sailin...showtopic=77311

FB- Doug

#18 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

How about a Seascape 18?

Not sure that it really is as hot a sailer as a sportboat but it's cool-looking and practical.

FB- Doug

Now that's what I am talking about, but it does not appear to be a kit??

JOhn ><>

#19 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

A nice design for sailing and building comes from colson design in qld Australia ;  550  multichine is one of his latest !

I like the Spider 550 are there plans available for that design?

#20 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

How about a Seascape 18?

FB- Doug

Now that's what I am talking about, but it does not appear to be a kit??

JOhn ><>

Oops my bad-

I thought you wanted NOT a kit.

The Spider 550 does look like a great little boat too, the builder pulled molds off a homebuilt but nothings says whether or not it's avalable as a kit. You might try contacting the builder and see if he'll ship you a hull & deck to finish.

FB- Doug

#21 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

And I might be mixing metaphors here, not looking for a "kit" either, looking for plans to build a boat that might turn into a production model in the future.

#22 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

The i550 is definitely in the running, can't get over the angle of the hull sides though.  Like the Leech 6.5 Sportboat, but the draft is too deep.  Need 5' or less.

#23 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

you could call Leech

the resultant ( software)  kit would speed up the build process by months and months

tell him you want it shaped like a shaw or VX and not a french RTW boat 

#24 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Have a look back through the Leech thread - the Noosa guy with the red leech has a custom keel that does either 4 or 6 feet depending on where he's sailing.

#25 Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

Have a look back through the Leech thread - the Noosa guy with the red leech has a custom keel that does either 4 or 6 feet depending on where he's sailing.

I went through that talking with Dudley Dix about his mini 6.5, need a carbon mast and more weight in the keel and you can do it.

#26 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just turbo that L22....

Tall rig
Carbon mast & boom
Bulb keel
Aarticulating sprit
Re-shape that skeg and longboard those chines.
Plumb that bow just a little bit more.
Saw out those cockpit seats and drop the traveller to the floor.

That'll all fit in your garage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users