#1 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

I never come to SBA so I am not gonna bother searching through the threads to see if a VX One thread was already going.  Sue me.

Had the pleasure of getting out on a VX One tonight.  I've never fallen in love with a boat in the first five minutes of sailing it until tonight.  Got a call about an hour before dock time to see if I wanted to sail in the Monday night sportboat series.  I pondered, said yes after some thought, and showed up.  I should preface this review by saying while I have about 15 years of sailing everything from 8'-50' I could get my hands on, my sportboat experience is limited to some Viper, Melges 20, Ozzie 18, and 29er rides.  No really expertise in sportboats.  

Conditions: 

Initially very calm, built to 10-15 from the South with little chop around 6pm.  Chop built and sustained held 14ish for the first race, backed and went SSW sustained around 10, chop remained.  7:45ish, wind sustained around 8, wind backed and went SSE, chop remained for first two legs of the 3rd race.

We had the benefit of experiencing a wide range of conditions for the boat, it went really light at one point and got up to a fairly good clip as well.  Chop and flat water, basically great for feeling this boat out.

Set up:

Boat set up was really easy.  Jib snaps on and luff zips up (I thought this was super cool).  Jib is also on a roller furler which we didn't use but if it went lighter we could have.  Main goes up easy and loose foot makes it quick to hook up.  Kite gets tied on and shoved into the launch chute.  The tricky part which we kinda fucked up was the retrieval line which you actually have to think about when you hook up or else you can really FUBAR it like we did.  Boat launches great, tracks very nicely behind a Honda Pilot.

Sailing:

We were a little late to getting down to the box so we were sailing for speed.  First time I've ever been on the boat (or heard of it to be quite honest), and the 4th time the owner had been on it.  In 13ish knots of breeze we hit 10.5 under kite and I loved how the boat felt and responded to sail trim, heel, and how quickly it got up and planed.  

1st race:

Owner drove the first two races and we played the starts fairly conservatively.  Boat felt great off the line and accelerates very quickly.  The "fleet" we were sailing against were 2 Vipers and 2 J-70s.  Our upwind speed was quick, in the heavier air the J-70s felt a little quicker but we had really good point and speed against the vipers.  Downwind I was not as familiar with optimum angles for the boat so we probably sailed a little deeper than we needed to, but boat responded well to sail trim and was very eager to get up on a plane.

2nd race:

Start was a little more aggressive and we were able to get a nose out in clear air.  Boat tracked great and besides getting on the wrong side of a couple shifts I felt like we were very fast up and downwind.  Again, same problem with gybe angles and optimum boat speeds as in the first race.  We heard about a mark we needed to round at the last minute and had to heat pretty quick, hit 9.8 in about 12 sustained.  Wild.  

Note: the issue we had with our belly line was that the way it was run, it fouled on the sheet and made port gybe a little difficult to achieve unless everything was overhauled and ran free.

3rd race:

My turn.  I finally got behind the stick of this beast and she did not disappoint.  My prestart was aggressive, maybe a little too much so and we ended up having to bail out within the last minute of the sequence, got buried down below a J-70.  This proved to be good as we bailed out to the right and ran into a perfect shift.  FIrst upwind leg the boat was quick, pointed like a charm, was very responsive to the slightest tiller movement, feathered beautifully.  I can't say enough about how well this boat handles.  Secondary controls were easy to reach and effective on sail trim.  The self tacking jib car makes everything easier and also allows for serious jib fine tuning.  I found myself getting into the groove very quickly and we climbed the ladder very quickly.  The flat top main powers very nicely through chop and the jib points very nicely.  Downwind the breeze shut off and we did ourselves no favors by making some ill advised gybes that weren't necessary.  That being said, as soon as we flopped over, we were able to flop right back and roll back onto starboard gybe and accelerate instantly.  Boat speed was consistently 3.5-4.5 in <5knots of breeze.  We pulled right away from the other Vipers and one J-70.  A little traffic at the leeward mark had us round just in front of the two Vipers and the 70 that was behind us.  The other 70 had rounded 20 BL in front of us or so.  Wind was still around 4-6 knots, chop was almost non existant, and the wind backed right around the SSE.  On starboard tack we were making the finish line a mile up the bay from the rounding.  I moved way up in the boat so we were sitting fairly far forward and we played the hell out of the sails.  We walked right away from the boats behind us, putting a ton of space between us.  We also managed to make up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the distance on the J-70 in front of us.  I was beyond impressed with how quickly this boat goes up wind in light air.  Shocking.  

Overall Impressions

-Best thought out boat I've been in.  Possibly Ever.  Everything is easy to reach, nothing is overly complicated, but its not too dumbed down.

-This thing is a rocket.  The fact that we can go nearly TWS is ridiculous.  She loves to plane and its unreal fast upwind.  

-Handling is ridiculous.  Boat turns on a dime, responds to the tiniest of tiller movements.  That being said its not twitchy.

-Launch and retrieval of the kite is very easy.  Could have a bigger kite in fact.  We fucked up the belly line so it was probably harder than it needed to be.

-I'm undecided on the boom sheeting.  I would think about deck mounting a block and seeing how that worked.  I am also coming from deck block dinghies so thats probably why.

-This thing would be UNBEATABLE with a trap and bigger kite.

Big thanks to the boat owner (who will probably read this) for having me out, I had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.  

Might be the best bang for your buck ready to sail boat out there right now in terms of sailability, speed, and launchability.

#2 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Nice review buddy! You guys looked good.

I'm glad you could join our Monday fun. Maybe next time we'll get some bigger breeze out there.

jason

#3 StayinStrewn

StayinStrewn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, snowboarding, hockey

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

There is a GP version w masthead, traps and no bulb, but I have no idea if that version will ever take off? Certainly cuts out those who want to sail w less experienced crew, kids, etc...I think in the main VX thread, there has been discussion on the boom sheeting ad if I recall, the consensus was boom sheeting was a good thing.

#4 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

I dig the versatility, but appreciate the attention Brian and the class has put into making sure that in OD mode the boats are all so similar.

I think it's going be a very successful OD boat with some sporatic high-octane super sport events for the more adventurous.

#5 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

There is a GP version w masthead, traps and no bulb, but I have no idea if that version will ever take off? Certainly cuts out those who want to sail w less experienced crew, kids, etc...I think in the main VX thread, there has been discussion on the boom sheeting ad if I recall, the consensus was boom sheeting was a good thing.

i would definitely be interested in racing a bulbless VX with traps and a masthead.  sounds awesome.

#6 Rolfe'd

Rolfe'd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Laser Sailing, Cross country, Cooking, lots of stuff...

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

I got to sail one and hit 20 knots downwind, it was unreal. Super fun boat and it handles really well.

#7 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

obviously a great boat, subjective analysis

history will show however in elapsed times, and via various correction factors

the Viper will be the fastest

daylight second, then the VX and J/70

#8 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I own a Viper. I love the Viper.

But I think the VX will be damn fast. I'm not sure which conditions it will be faster than the Viper but I am sure that it will be faster than the J70 in almost all conditions.  If the Daylight appears anywhere it will be between the VX and the J70 and it will be a lot of daylight.

#9 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

That's pretty dead on. I love my VX and my viper - I think that around the track speed is negligible.

I've never sailed a 70 but have shared the course with them twice. They were quicker than I expected them to be and the guys sailing them really seem to be enjoying themselves. Im certain there were at least three three teams I've never seen before on the course sailing j70s. And that's a very good thing.

It is nice to hear someone this excited about sailing (original post). Regardless of what kind of boat made them feel that way

Jason, very cool thing you are doing up there. The sport needs more good dudes like you. Move to Texas, you can sail longer than you can in vt.

I own a Viper. I love the Viper.

But I think the VX will be damn fast. I'm not sure which conditions it will be faster than the Viper but I am sure that it will be faster than the J70 in almost all conditions.  If the Daylight appears anywhere it will be between the VX and the J70 and it will be a lot of daylight.

#10 OKMLSAIL

OKMLSAIL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Go fast

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

VX One, the best...ever?

Pretty much, yes.

#11 doesitfloat

doesitfloat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Nice review.

I need pictures to know what you are talking about.

These are from the VX one Homepage http://vxonedesignracing.com/vxodr/

VXO-DLP-SSS-039.jpg

VXO-DLP-SSS-079.jpg

VXO-DLP-SSS-158.jpg

#12 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:if you aint 1st your last

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

its a new generaltion 505, also didnt seem to do much at the ASBA nationals in melbourne

#13 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

VX One, the best...ever?

Pretty much, yes.

yeah its better than vd

#14 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Nice review.

I need pictures to know what you are talking about.

These are from the VX one Homepage http://vxonedesignracing.com/vxodr/

VXO-DLP-SSS-039.jpg

VXO-DLP-SSS-079.jpg

VXO-DLP-SSS-158.jpg

does it come with a spin retrieve 2m too short

#15 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Does it come with a spin for blokes or just girls

#16 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Is there anything besides sailing?

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

The ASBA Nationals in Williamstown were in light wind which suited the boats with masthead kites better than the VX One. Brian has a design for a masthead kite for the sports version. I have had a masthead kite made for mixed (ASBA) fleet sailing.

Attached File  Masthead 04.jpg   131.58K   1092 downloadsAttached File  MAsthead 05.jpg   50.34K   89 downloadsAttached File  Masthead 06.jpg   99.14K   65 downloadsAttached File  Masthead 07.jpg   56.05K   42 downloads

The ASBA Nationals in Fremantle should suit the VX One quite well.

I sailed a Sportsboat regatta on Pittwater in my VX One and beat all the Vipers and a Shaw 650 across the line in a breeze.

https://www.youtube....h?v=58qfsDNWuV0

#17 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Explain. Seems polar opposite to me.

its a new generaltion 505, ..

#18 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:if you aint 1st your last

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Explain. Seems polar opposite to me.

its a new generaltion 505, ..

remove the bulb and its nolonger a "sports boat" add a trap and its just another dingy/skiff

#19 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

The ASBA Nationals in Williamstown were in light wind which suited the boats with masthead kites better than the VX One. Brian has a design for a masthead kite for the sports version. I have had a masthead kite made for mixed (ASBA) fleet sailing.

attachicon.gifMasthead 04.jpgattachicon.gifMAsthead 05.jpgattachicon.gifMasthead 06.jpgattachicon.gifMasthead 07.jpg

I sailed a Sportsboat regatta on Pittwater in my VX One and beat all the Vipers and a Shaw 650 across the line in a breeze.

Any issues with the mast not having cap shrouds? Have you used the masthead kite in strong winds?

#20 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:54 AM

attachicon.gifMasthead 04.jpgattachicon.gifMAsthead 05.jpgattachicon.gifMasthead 06.jpgattachicon.gifMasthead 07.jpg

Any issues with the mast not having cap shrouds? Have you used the masthead kite in strong winds?

They added a set for the MH.

#21 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't see em in that picture.

#22 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't see em in that picture.

http://www.sportsail...37693&k=ZwJ3vjT

Look at these pics...easy to see em.  Plus the boat is parked right next to mine....so....

_MG_6852VX%20One-L.jpg

_MG_9366%20VX%20One%20Tachyon-L.jpg

_MG_6842%20VX%20ONe-L.jpg

#23 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

With 4mm Dynex upper caps the mast will carry the masthead to 15 knots easily and I reckon that 18 knots gusts will be fine also. The Southern Spars mast is pretty solid and even with the upper caps loose the mast carries the load in 12 knots or so quite well. 

#24 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

ted - any chance I could contact the guys who made your caps and order a set?  Or get specs?

#25 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Why Don't you just work with Brian - he should be game for having you try out a masthead spin..............maybe even the bulbless blade too - and add traps while you are at it............

ted - any chance I could contact the guys who made your caps and order a set?  Or get specs?

#26 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

There's no real point in doing one without the other, don't you think?

Why Don't you just work with Brian - he should be game for having you try out a masthead spin..............maybe even the bulbless blade too - and add traps while you are at it............

#27 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well I think the masthead kite and maybe a bigger squaretop might be worth trying if you in predominantly light air but the full monty would definitely be more sporty.

#28 tedrules

tedrules

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

Ultra, The guy who made my upper caps would be me.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures but you can see the pictures with an explanation on each on my VX One Australia facebook page, posted 20 May.

If you have any questions call me or you can email from my website www.vxoneaustralia.com

#29 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks man, i'll check it out.

Ultra, The guy who made my upper caps would be me.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures but you can see the pictures with an explanation on each on my VX One Australia facebook page, posted 20 May.

If you have any questions call me or you can email from my website www.vxoneaustralia.com

#30 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

so in 18-20 true the rig may not hold it??  I heard there was a wind strength / crew weight ceiling on the VX warranty...  does it address the MH kite?

With 4mm Dynex upper caps the mast will carry the masthead to 15 knots easily and I reckon that 18 knots gusts will be fine also. The Southern Spars mast is pretty solid and even with the upper caps loose the mast carries the load in 12 knots or so quite well. 

#31 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Timbo, I spoke to Brian and everything should be finalized for the SS rig soon.  What you read about below was a home-made solution to play with.  The stock version will be a result of joint engineering, southern taking the lead of course.  It is my understanding that the rig will handle pretty much whatever - the sailors on the other hand...  well..

The rig is a work of art.   I continue to be impressed with Southerns engineering   I would love to have them build me a viper mast, know anyone on the tech comedy I could talk to about getting that approved?  hey, no more after-market fixes for things like gooseneck fittings or spreader brackets.

I'll tell you, in anything over 20 you don't need more canvas.  I know you like to go fast - this boat would make your hair stand up.  We both enjoy buzzing around on our vipers.  This boat would absolutely spoil you.

I think I own the third VX brian built, so very early generation.  And I've pushed it pretty hard with the two fat boys I usually sail vipers with.   No issues with the boat whatsoever.  My keel box hasent popped loose.  No imprint from coremat laminates, no keel deformations..   damn side rails wont even delaminate when you bump another boat.     I told Bennett - damn repair guys are not going to like him as much as they like other builders if he doesn't cheapen these things up a bit.

so in 18-20 true the rig may not hold it??  I heard there was a wind strength / crew weight ceiling on the VX warranty...  does it address the MH kite?

#32 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Sail Fast!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

So you like the boat....   ;)

#33 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

hell man, these days I like any boat I actually have time to sail.   Actually, my schedule is so screwed up about all I can manage is the usually testosterone-fest with the monkey..   which is why I want to want to super-size. 

nice work west, really wish I could make it.  that's going to be an epic event

So you like the boat....   ;)

#34 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Sail Fast!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thx Heffe....  see you in Houston

#35 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,389 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like a REALLY cool boat.  Would love to sail one someday.  But isn't all this talk about tweaks and rig mods going to kill any chance at a OD fleet?

#36 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

yes

OD is a state of mind that you accept.

#37 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think I own the third VX brian built, so very early generation.  And I've pushed it pretty hard with the two fat boys I usually sail vipers with.   No issues with the boat whatsoever. 

Is yours one of the boats built by Edgewater?  

We heard last weekend that Edgewater had stopped building VX Ones a few months ago and that VX is looking for a new builder.

#38 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Sounds like a REALLY cool boat.  Would love to sail one someday.  But isn't all this talk about tweaks and rig mods going to kill any chance at a OD fleet?

Hey JB and turbo fans. The MH is all about slaying bigger (much bigger) boats on a low budget. The VX ONE is all about strict, purist one design format racing. (however)....Most know that when you start a new class, you need some special tools, and the MH is pretty phenominal tool (based on early assessment). I think its pretty cool that you can change it up when you want to go PHRF, and back for the big VX One regattas. 

#39 vxone-d

vxone-d

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think I own the third VX brian built, so very early generation.  And I've pushed it pretty hard with the two fat boys I usually sail vipers with.   No issues with the boat whatsoever. 

We heard last weekend that Edgewater had stopped building VX Ones a few months ago and that VX is looking for a new builder.

Edgewater ceased to be the builder early on. Bennett Yachting has been building them in Savannah and is now overseeing the transition to Ovington Boats in the UK building the hulls. Very strict one design standards! 

To set the record straight. Edgewater built components through hull #26. We assembled and finished all those boats in our Savannah factory. We have since built all VX ones here to very exacting standards, and just shipping 146 and 147 to Australia, and 148 to Fairhope this week. These boats are built with considerable attention to detail to make sure all owners are sailing what was designed. A high quality, cutting edge sport one design that will last, and provide optimum value and fun factor.

We will soon be announcing 2 significant alliances which will ensure that worldwide, you can buy a VX ONE, built to these same tolerances. These builders are (In my humble opinion ;) the best in the business, and are dedicated to supporting the class as it grows both in North America, and around the globe. 

#40 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Edgewater ceased to be the builder early on. Bennett Yachting has been building them in Savannah and is now overseeing the transition to Ovington Boats in the UK building the hulls. Very strict one design standards! 

Good to hear. Ovington is a well regarded name. It will provide some reassuring stability to have them behind the project.

#41 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

[/quote]
To set the record straight. Edgewater built components through hull #26. We assembled and finished all those boats in our Savannah factory. We have since built all VX ones here to very exacting standards, and just shipping 146 and 147 to Australia, and 148 to Fairhope this week. [/quote]

So are you delivering the 48th VX? Didn't the sail numbers start at 100?

#42 leroy101

leroy101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:sailing,sailing and sailing

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

can i plz get some top speeds upwind and down wind with windspeed mentioned.

#43 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Upwind, hull speed

Downwind, a knot or two off windspeed.

#44 BradH

BradH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

can i plz get some top speeds upwind and down wind with windspeed mentioned.

From Saturday's Velocitek file, peak upwind speed 7 kts, peak downwind 20.4 kts, wind 17 gusting to 22 kts.

#45 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

I sailed on one last week, same boat as the Op.  Really fun.  We were having trouble pointing till we really hauled in the jib and brought the trav really far in.  Anyone who has sailed on has any suggestions?

#46 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

You sailed one of these and you are talking about a traveler.........................hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I sailed on one last week, same boat as the Op.  Really fun.  We were having trouble pointing till we really hauled in the jib and brought the trav really far in.  Anyone who has sailed on has any suggestions?

#47 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

He is talking about the jib track which I suppose bears some similarity to a traveler.

#48 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hey man, glad you enjoyed the boat.

In light stuff we travel up and ease the sheet a pinch. I make sure the sheet is pinned up about 3/4 of the way up the board to keep the top from twisting too much in that mode.

In heavy we pin all the way down to help open the top. Sheet as hard as we can and travel the job down. That keeps your jib as flat as possible.

Also make sure you don't have too much jib halyard tension on in the light stuff.

The Vx really doesn't like pinching. Keep the speed up and when she's moving well push the inners. But always keep her moving.

That's my .02. ... There are far better sailors on here, ill be interested to hear their thoughts.

Get yourself to a class event as soon as possible. Class leadership is really good about helping everyone get up to speed.. Good bunch of guys and gals.

#49 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

The boat is very, very good. The similarities with a HP multihull downwind are clear. But you also have to experience 10-12 knots upwind from a trapeze (like A-Class) or comfortable on an AMA (like Corsair tri). That's why VX guys should be messing around with the VX trapeze option. It's easier and faster than hiking and I bet you'll see +8 knots with a planing mode upwind.

Above is based on first hand experience sailing and racing the VX with gulf coast dealer. Hoping to charter for the NAC in November.

#50 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Yeah that was my thought as well, as cool as MH kites and traps are, too early in my mind to start offfering different configurations.Mind you you can never have too big a kite and the standard one looks way too small.

#51 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,389 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yeah that was my thought as well, as cool as MH kites and traps are, too early in my mind to start offfering different configurations.Mind you you can never have too big a kite and the standard one looks way too small.

Correct.  I think the traps, while fun, will turn off a lot of people from racing it.  I have no problem with the MH kites, just that too many different configurations will ruin any shot a boat has at true OD numbers. 

#52 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

JBSF - i would agree with that IF the boat was going to be raced on a regular basis in that configuration.

99.9% of VX events will be in OD configuration.  The guys I've spoken to want the mods so they can go blast around or terrorize mixed boat dingy fleets.  I don't think you will see this stuff used on a regular basis.

Correct.  I think the traps, while fun, will turn off a lot of people from racing it.  I have no problem with the MH kites, just that too many different configurations will ruin any shot a boat has at true OD numbers. 

#53 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,389 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

JBSF - i would agree with that IF the boat was going to be raced on a regular basis in that configuration.

99.9% of VX events will be in OD configuration.  The guys I've spoken to want the mods so they can go blast around or terrorize mixed boat dingy fleets.  I don't think you will see this stuff used on a regular basis.

Fair enough.  Best of both worlds.  The boat looks like an absolute BLAST to sail.  Enjoy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VX One, Sportboat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users